What's new

Question 50 Shades of Grey Roleplay Thread

Why isn't Aquaman placing?

• Total voters

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
He's extremely good, but at the same time extremely overrated.

No one wants to admit his achilles heel is characters that can play safe keepaway, specially in the air. He doesn't have the tools to deal with that. Aquaman is dominant in the ground, but it just so happens a big part of the top tier can dominate airborne.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I'm more just offended Aquaman is compared to d4 ex slutwheel.
Point is, even though it's of course a factor, a character position of a tier list shouldn't be based on tournament placings, but the number of favorable match ups, each researched at the highest level considering every tool the character has.

But people here have no logic! Because who needs it!

coolwhip

Noob
slightly off topic but it's really sad that having a good anti air is considered anything but the standard in this game =[

True, but Aquaman's D2 is a ridiculous anti-air for ANY game. You can mash it with no sense of timing whatsoever, and it has priority over everything. The hitbox is ridiculous, it's amazing against cross-ups (again, it doesn't matter how late you input it. At worst, you'll get a trade), and it's 7 frames.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
True, but Aquaman's D2 is a ridiculous anti-air for ANY game. You can mash it with no sense of timing whatsoever, and it has priority over everything. The hitbox is ridiculous, it's amazing against cross-ups (again, it doesn't matter how late you input it. At worst, you'll get a trade), and it's 7 frames.
Well it is unsafe.

coolwhip

Noob
Well it is unsafe.

It's only unsafe if your opponent is grounded, not if you use it as an anti-air (unless you do it REALLY late, and get caught with the jump-in, but this applies to every anti-air in any game). Plus, even as a normal, you have the ability to cancel it into a special, which I find to be a bit silly IMO.

coolwhip

Noob
Top 3 at evo, top 8 at Devastation 2011 hold that.

I think Aquaman is overrated. If you take out his trait he's a pretty normal character, imo. That's not to say his trait isn't a big thing in a lot of matchups, I just think the emphasis on it is too much.

I can see how he maybe is top 5 right now? Like in the current injustice metagame. But I think down the line he will fall off top 5 in most people's minds.

Interesting. You might be right, but I find it tough to overlook his other tools. He's got some of the best normals in the game (D2, B1 and F1), a stupidly good anti-air, one of the best strings in the game (B1 2), good damage, good corner pressure, good zoning and counter-zoning, the ability to take 20% full screen (making From the Deep a serious tool), etc... I just don't see what he lacks. Plus, you can't just disregard his trait. The fact is, it IS a huge part of his game, and it's a ridiculous tool.

Esruck Cype

...or just call me E.C.
No, you can't.

Based on your post, the "good reason" would be that current Aquaman players are not good with him.

Ha, well maybe that is what I'm saying :p

Arthur players do need to step it up though. Every FG has those lowest-common-denominator characters that fall off once people get better. The easiest example of this is UMvC3 Wesker. Everyone called him broken, even in Ultimate when he got BUFFS. But now he's basically just a really solid char with the best OTG assist and nothing more.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Interesting. You might be right, but I find it tough to overlook his other tools. He's got some of the best normals in the game (D2, B1 and F1), a stupidly good anti-air, one of the best strings in the game (B1 2), good damage, good corner pressure, good zoning and counter-zoning, the ability to take 20% full screen (making From the Deep a serious tool), etc... I just don't see what he lacks. Plus, you can't just disregard his trait. The fact is, it IS a huge part of his game, and it's a ridiculous tool.
Yeah, I think they're good, I just don't think they make him as broken as people make him out to be. Like his d2, for example. I think in this game, like in MK, jumping's going to become more and more risky overall as people adapt to their own anti air options and other characters' jump normals. B1 is really good too, and will probably be that way for a while, but it just adds to the good but not OP S-tier type of idea.

I'm not overlooking his trait, I just think it's overemphasized. He sort of needs it.

Aquaman being top 3 or the best came from ppl playing me at the highest level using 95% of the roster. I know 95% of the roster in and out, its mainly 2 matches that i was unfamiliar with and one match up up that I just couldnt seem to win even if an good player used him as a "i just pick him up 4 days ago" character (black adam).

The reason why most other Aqua's are getting mopped up by top HQ players (VERY favorable mu for aqua), one week NW (not saying the specific NW player is bad, but beating a SEASONED aqua player with one week of time spent on a character in a mu that is 5-5 or 6-5 aqua shows the issue is the aqua players knowledge and not the mu), etc.. is because most Aquaman players use a strategy that is made for him to win his default "i win cuz i'm aquaman" match ups. I have a million ways I play this character, each individual to the match ups needed. This takes A LOT of exp at the highest level playing all kind of maniacs playing all kind of characters using all kinds of different styles.

I'll finally say it.. YES.. Aquaman loses to Black Adam in this version. Without Black Adam I would have won several tournaments and have a lot of top 3's. Bad luck of the draw is the MAIN reason why Aqua doesnt have more wins or top 8's PERIOD.

In thei version, Aquaman is top 2-3, but you wont see it if the best version of the character has to play a good player using even a decent Black Adam EVERY TOURNAMENT.

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
I agree with EGP Wounder_Chef, I think Aquman is over rated. His wake-ups aren't too impressive, and he lacks mobility. I've only seen a few good players of Aquman place in tournaments in quite a while like Tom Brady.

I agree with EGP Wounder_Chef, I think Aquman is over rated. His wake-ups aren't too impressive, and he lacks mobility. I've only seen a few good players of Aquman place in tournaments in quite a while like Tom Brady.

Dont confuse someone like myself not being able to beat Black Adam for Aquaman being over rated.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Most people who say his top1/2 are just salty because their mains lose to him. They are over rating him based on a narrow view of the char. I think most sensible people agree that the best in the game currently are superman and black adam. I think it's very likely that aquaman is top 5 and its just bias making people push Aquaman to that number 1 or number 2 spot.

zaf

professor
Maybe because there are many characters that are played in a tournament, with many different players at many different skill levels, and maybe tournament results are often decided by who's matched against who or who comes out of the brackets or who was hung over from the day before, and maybe there are infinite possibilities of what could go wrong or right in a match. And maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't try to assign an objective result to an event that's affected by so many random variables.
^^^^^
This would be my opinion as well

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
He's always been overrated. In the current version you can just counter pick with Superman, Black Adam or Green Lantern and then all of the sudden it's pretty hard on the Aquaman player.

Top 3 my ass. You know which characters have better dirt, and matchups currently? Superman, Wonder Woman, Black Adam, MMH, and Batman.