What's new

Wondering why buff Quan's poke to 6 and not sub's?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You certainly can punish characters for bad use of their normals. It simply takes more character knowledge and skill than before.

Spacing is still a thing.

MK9 didn't have standardized pokes, either.

Quan, Kang, Mileena, Reptile as examples all didn't have 6 frame d1s.
Talking about being punishable not speed.

It was more of to the last part of his post, not the first.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I disagree with this.

This recent Major patch is barely 2 weeks old.

Do we really even know enough yet to be making claims like this? There are only a few characters that most people consider unviable and often those also happen to be under used/under explored characters.

All I'm saying is that to make a claim that the game is horrible when we have literally never even seen or explored many matchups in this game (especially since the most recent patch) is crazy.

If you don't like the game based on its core design of being hella fast, offensive, rushdown oriented that is a different story but to clsim it is a horrible game is just dumb.

We don't know enough about the balance of this game as of yet to make these kind of statements
The game is dishonest as fuck.
Full of inconsistency and problems that better beta testing would have solved.
I want to play a game not beta test something that gets changed every odd month after having paid for a full game.

Matix218

Get over here!
The game is dishonest as fuck.
Full of inconsistency and problems that better beta testing would have solved.
I want to play a game not beta test something that gets changed every odd month after having paid for a full game.
You do realize that it is not possible for them to catch everything or fix everything with 16 bit and ppj plus like 1 week of QA testers in the time frame that WB gives them to get the game finished.

WB does not care about balancing and frame data and block infinites. They want the game out and millions of copies sold and that is their only priority.

NRS has proven that they care about the competative community probably more so than most developers. They attend tournaments, talk about tournament players in their streams, try to fix broken stuff and create more balance, offer large pot bonuses, support mkx in esl, etc.

But the bottom line is they are funded by WB and WB gives them deadlines and budgets and they have to stick to them or they will no longer be in business.

You also need to remember that capcom games like street fighter are tested by hunderds of top players injapanese arcades when they are in beta form and the final version you play has been changed heavily and patched heavily but NRS does not have the ability to do things that way do they do their best to fix and support via patching.

If you hate the game stop plsying it. But what do you expect they could really do better given what they have to work with and the pressure from WB to release the game on time. Remember, we are the minority, the casual player is what makes them their money.

Why would that even matter if you have a block button

And @GGA Jeremiah why did you have to do this? I realize it probably wasn't intended but it's just another cesspool of unaware sub up players now
what was Quan Chi's d1 before the patch? What infinites did he get stuck in pre-patch? I want to see the data.

Matix218

Get over here!
what was Quan Chi's d1 before the patch? What infinites did he get stuck in pre-patch? I want to see the data.
His summoner vortex feels like an infinite because it is damn near impossible to freaking block sometimes. He deserves to get stuck in a block infinite!

Embestone

Stoen
Forget debating whether Quan needed to receive that buff or not, but what do you guys think the reasoning behind buffing someone like Quan with a 6 frame poke and leaving some characters like Sub Zero with 9 frame pokes?

Is NRS worried that a 6f poke on Sub is too powerful? If they do then why would a 6f poke on Sub be too strong?

Did they feel that Quan's defense was too weak, and maybe Subs was strong enough so they could leave them at 9?

Is it because Quan has not done well lately at tournaments?

Just wondering what your guys thoughts on this is.
I just thought is was nrs just trying to give quan an out to for some block "infinites".

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
A great question @GGA Jeremiah allow me to reveal the answer nrs doesn't want you to know.

As any avid online player knows there has been instability in the realms. A war has been waged for over 6 months and it is incredibly one sided. Yes. I'm talking about the faction war.

For months, despite all efforts all other factions have failed to topple the grandmaster. The Lin kuei has won the faction war more times than any other faction. This is based on numbers, as ranked matches are filled with sub zero players eager to add points to their teams already abundant trophy room.

The brotherhood of shadow has come out on top but twice, and barely squeaking put a win which is nothing to brag about(shoutouts to wound cowboy). But how do you take out a faction? By weakening its leader and strengthening the tools of the opposing challenger. By buffing Quan chi nrs has strengthened the brotherhood of shadow, allowing them to fairly compete with the Lin kuei in this entirely unfair faction war.

And that Jeremiah, is why Quan chi now has a 6f poke.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You do realize that it is not possible for them to catch everything or fix everything with 16 bit and ppj plus like 1 week of QA testers in the time frame that WB gives them to get the game finished.
What I'm on about when I say test it better, is gone water, really. I'm salty because I feel I was sold a beta, I preordered it on steam and it's a game I can't enjoy no matter which way I turn it.

WB does not care about balancing and frame data and block infinites. They want the game out and millions of copies sold and that is their only priority.
Real talk. I've been making fun of this before, but there is nothing fun about the fact that the people who actually hold all the cards do not in fact care for quality.

NRS has proven that they care about the competative community probably more so than most developers. They attend tournaments, talk about tournament players in their streams, try to fix broken stuff and create more balance, offer large pot bonuses, support mkx in esl, etc.
I'm not sure about comparing them to "most developers". You'll find plenty of games out there that are played competitively and are patched on a regular basis with an overall better design policy than mk.

But the bottom line is they are funded by WB and WB gives them deadlines and budgets and they have to stick to them or they will no longer be in business.
I know, it's just my idealism wanting a GOOD game for a change. My bottom line is, I'm having more fun playing mk9 than mkx and that makes me feel bad.

You also need to remember that capcom games like street fighter are tested by hunderds of top players injapanese arcades when they are in beta form and the final version you play has been changed heavily and patched heavily but NRS does not have the ability to do things that way do they do their best to fix and support via patching.
Way I see it, they don't care to go that way. They make a great looking game that will not work on the same level as a capcom game and then release the next title. MK9 could still be played by everybody who played it had they not cut support on it.
They should have released mkx as an expansion with the additional characters tbh.

If you hate the game stop plsying it.
See, that's my main gripe. I done have stopped playing it and every time I log on to play a match or two, I'm painfully reminded as to why.

But what do you expect they could really do better given what they have to work with and the pressure from WB to release the game on time.
I could list a few things such as better communication, more testing before releasing content, perspective and understanding what makes for good design, but I feel none of those matter at this point. We're stuck with another unfinished game which will be dropped for their next product come the 2 year mark.

Remember, we are the minority, the casual player is what makes them their money.
All of whom are angry and cussing each other out because of how certain things work in this game.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What I'm on about when I say test it better, is gone water, really. I'm salty because I feel I was sold a beta, I preordered it on steam and it's a game I can't enjoy no matter which way I turn it.

Real talk. I've been making fun of this before, but there is nothing fun about the fact that the people who actually hold all the cards do not in fact care for quality.

I'm not sure about comparing them to "most developers". You'll find plenty of games out there that are played competitively and are patched on a regular basis with an overall better design policy than mk.

I know, it's just my idealism wanting a GOOD game for a change. My bottom line is, I'm having more fun playing mk9 than mkx and that makes me feel bad.

Way I see it, they don't care to go that way. They make a great looking game that will not work on the same level as a capcom game and then release the next title. MK9 could still be played by everybody who played it had they not cut support on it.
They should have released mkx as an expansion with the additional characters tbh.

See, that's my main gripe. I done have stopped playing it and every time I log on to play a match or two, I'm painfully reminded as to why.

I could list a few things such as better communication, more testing before releasing content, perspective and understanding what makes for good design, but I feel none of those matter at this point. We're stuck with another unfinished game which will be dropped for their next product come the 2 year mark.

All of whom are angry and cussing each other out because of how certain things work in this game.

You really should play MK X offline. Much more fulfilling experience.

I think MK X is a great game and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I ever did MK9.

Matix218

Get over here!

I mean, fair enough. You feel that way and you have sound reasoning as to why you do.

I personally do not think this game is horrible at all. (except the online...)

I also still love MK9 but I have to admit I have not been playing it as much anymore and I am really starting to appreciate MKX for what it is.

I think this may be the method that NRS uses going forward because it is the only viable way that they can both get the product out in time to please the corporate overlords that fund their company and also still try their best to cater to the very very small minority of their customer base that is the competitive scene.

If you don't like it you probably are not a good candidate to play their games going forward because you will just keep getting frustrated and being unhappy with the product you paid your hard earned money for.

I personally am happy with the $60 bucks I spent on MKX but I am starting to think that I may be in the minority in feeling this way (on TYM at least).

I don't fault you or think you are dumb or anything, I will just have to agree to disagree with you that this game is horrible because I really like the game and although it has its flaws like every other NRS game before it, I still find myself wanting to play it more than any other game I own.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
To bring you up to date. I don't believe there are any block infinites on Quan still, except Ronin Takeda's, even if he did lose his 6F D1. However there most likely isn't gonna be a patch for a while and these threads are pretty much useless. If people wanted something drastic to be done about Quan they should wait until close to the patch, the "#NerfQuan" train is running out of steam real fast.

And I still agree on our last discussion, the buffs were unnecessary and he'd be just fine without them. But no damage has been done yet, so people might aswell just wait and see what happens then start moaning closer to the end of the year if anything does happen.
So Ronin still infinites him if his D1 is removed? If so, then it's actually kinda justified, at least UNTIL the block infinite is removed

I love his hard-to-blockables. :joker:

In seriousness though, I couldn't really care too much if the hard to blockables stay or go. Any good Quan should realise his hard to blockable is his worst option of his vortex anyway, especially if he has no meter to make it safe... Well, plus. Otherwise he has to commit to a -50000 on block, "moderately" hard to blockable unless you get it down perfect. It's best to just go for an easy to hitconfirm 50/50 and stay safe with Puggles.
Well, then any good Quan shouldn't even care slightly if it's removed if it sucks so much, seeing as just bad game design

I GOT HANDS

As a guy who competes in alot of games & is heavily involved in a lot of communities

Yeah NRS is more invovled than most.
Easy statement to make. You must play some pretty shit games, so please list the ones that NRS out perform in terms of care for their competitive playerbase.

haketh

Noob
Easy statement to make. You must play some pretty shit games, so please list the ones that NRS out perform in terms of care for their competitive playerbase.
Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Virtua Fighter, Smash, King of Fighters off the top of my head

Only companies doing better than NRS are Team Ninja & Capcom

I GOT HANDS

Dave was right
Ahaha.

Ahahahahahahaha.

This literally has nothing to do with anything Dave is saying, you just made a statement about NRS, why don't you give some examples instead of completely skirting it and hiding behind an empty fallbacks? P.S. Dave is notorious for being the moron of TYM amongst multiple online communities, him disliking your posts is a compliment and a sign you are on the right track. You agreeing with him doesn't make you look good or help your perspective at all lol.

Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Virtua Fighter, Smash, King of Fighters off the top of my head

Only companies doing better than NRS are Team Ninja & Capcom
Ahh. Compared to other smaller scale fighters you might have a point, I wouldn't know I don't play all them, maybe you are right. My comparison is to similar budget games, this is why NRS falls seriously short

Stacraft
Dota
CounterStrike
Guild Wars 2
Eve Online
Pokemon (both Nintendo AND Showdown)
Elder Scrolls Online
MTG:O
Diablo 3
Path Of Exile

Hell a couple of them aren't even big budget and they still crap all over NRS in terms in competitive support. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I know from personal experience, absolutely BLOW NRS OUT OF THE WATER. Coming from other actual high profile competitive games, I can't see NRS's contribution to the competitive scene as anything bar absolute minimal.

Do the other smaller fighters actually get less support than MKX? Damn I can see why only a couple of them have expanded much at all. I remember hearing that Guilty Gear has much better balance and care than MKX, is that not true? Also thanks the actual logical response instead of just being a tard like poster directly above

haketh

Noob
Hell a couple of them aren't even big budget and they still crap all over NRS in terms in competitive support. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I know from personal experience, absolutely BLOW NRS OUT OF THE WATER. Coming from other actual high profile competitive games, I can't see NRS's contribution to the competitive scene as anything bar absolute minimal.

Do the other smaller fighters actually get less support than MKX? Damn I can see why only a couple of them have expanded much at all. I remember hearing that Guilty Gear has much better balance and care than MKX, is that not true? Also thanks the actual logical response instead of just being a tard like poster directly above
Comparing NRS to those is pretty fuck I can't think of the word but it's not a good comparison due to the nature of how FG tournaments are run, how small they are in comparison & many other reasons. XRD has some support over here from ASW but ASW is still a very Japanese company so it's not as good as we'd like it to be & even over in Japan things could be much better.

Matix218

Get over here!
Ahaha.

Ahahahahahahaha.

This literally has nothing to do with anything Dave is saying, you just made a statement about NRS, why don't you give some examples instead of completely skirting it and hiding behind an empty fallbacks? P.S. Dave is notorious for being the moron of TYM amongst multiple online communities, him disliking your posts is a compliment and a sign you are on the right track. You agreeing with him doesn't make you look good or help your perspective at all lol.

Ahh. Compared to other smaller scale fighters you might have a point, I wouldn't know I don't play all them, maybe you are right. My comparison is to similar budget games, this is why NRS falls seriously short

Stacraft
Dota
CounterStrike
Guild Wars 2
Eve Online
Pokemon (both Nintendo AND Showdown)
Elder Scrolls Online
MTG:O
Diablo 3
Path Of Exile

What exactly do you want NRS to do?

Their employees occasionally show up at our tournaments. Even commentate matches.

They post on our forums.

They contribute large pot bonuses to our major tournaments.

They support MKX's involvement in ESL.

They give us live streams to go over changes/patch notes.

They do their best to patch and update the game in order to keep it as balanced and competitive as they can.

They quickly respond to bugs and glitches with hot fixes (granted you cant expect them to fix everything the second it is found but they do a decent job).

WHAT DO YOU WANT???

If you hate NRS and feel that the game is garbage then go play StarCraft or Pokémon or one of the other games you listed.

WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE?