What's new

With the end of year fast approaching, has MK11 been everything you'd hoped?

Komatose

The Prettiest
Speaking of Skarlet, that character going from what she was in MK9 to what she is in MK11 is shameful. She MIGHT be the most boring character in a game FULL of boring characters. Like...is she not played EXACTLY the same way she was played day 1 of the beta?

Please don’t bring up how they did my baby Skarlet super dirty... She went from rushdown and reset queen in MK9 to two buttons and stay away from me in MK11... That was such a vibe killer to me.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Some of you talk about MK11 being boring like it's a fact. Looking at steam numbers, people seem to enjoy MK11 a lot and PC is the least populated platform. This game is far from dead. And there's cross play in the making too.
That’s awesome. But a lot of people find the game boring too lol. Especially compared to earlier franchises. It is what it is man. No one is taking their opinion as a fact, they’re just stating the obvious about what it seems most people here think about the game in this thread. Boring, lackluster, wonky...

Ah well.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Wow holy crap lol Yeah I don’t see that at all on my screen. It’s as if I don’t have a sig at all. I’ll see if I can remove it or get a mod to. My bad.
I thought they removed everyone sig that was not a premium supporter I know my sig got removed

Komatose

The Prettiest
Earlier franchises? I'd really like to see steam charts for MK9. MKX for example was at 700 at this time, MK11 has 3.7k.
That’s okay. And eSports have blown up since but I’m not saying no one likes the game. I understand that part lol. I’m just saying, the fact that a huge bulk of the actual community, like us, actually don’t find the game too appealing. And that hurts my heart being an MK fan. I’m personally not talking down on the game. Just for me personally it’s pretty bland and it’s disheartening knowing plenty of people in the MKC and FGC share that same view and opinion. You don’t see that as a bit of a problem?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Some of the top complains seem odd to me in that I felt like IJ2 was as much or more guilty of them. Base lining characters while casual play got literally everything quarantined into its own world. Being unfun to watch, and I personally found it monumentally less rewarding to play. (Maybe that's just because I was hell bent on playing WoWo.)

I feel like if I could do all the stuff I want to do, then it would be just me and them trying to out think one another. I'd often lose that wits battle, but it's something I'm interested in. I don't find the lack of options boring. I feel like it makes playing your opponent more immediate, important, and interesting. Having the tension on if someone is going to finish a string with a gap, stop short and try to steal another turn, or cancel into special and blow up a FB attempt is cool. FBU2'ing someone predictably d1 counter poking is cool.

For someone that wants lots of combo creativity, or smother people with possibilities and mega move sets, then I guess the game would feel boring. That's a very different enjoyment trigger for what this game provides. OR someone is just epic and can't find anyone to make them think in the game. If that's you, then that must be a nice problem to have.

I have played this game a ton and really tried to like it, but I’m thinking I’m at the end of the road here... KL is not fun, kasual matches are dwindling in numbers... I think NRS took waaaaay too many risks here;

not a fan of krushing blows not being universal, too many characters have advantages just based on accessibility.

Fatal blows are tiresome to watch and the mechanic is lazy.

breakaway mechanic is lame and gives advantages to characters with grounded combos.

strike throw is boring

staggers replaced 50/50s and honestly I’m not sure which is more annoying

but most of all, characters feel half baked, simplistic and spread thin across variations.

if it works there’s no need to fix it and i feel like they tossed away too many things that worked in previous games.
Might boot up Injustice 2 at this point.
I think this is more a perception problem, than an actual problem. Hitting KB's are baked into some character's balance. You are expected to hit 2-4 of them or whatever. If you play a match with Scorpion and you don't hit a KB, then you probably lost. Other characters don't need them to succeed in the same way.

I think the mistake isn't a balance mistake, it's how it feels emotionally unfair to people to get hit by KB's over and over when they can't do the same. I think using it as a balance dial is fine, but it would likely have been better to weight it lower and not make such a wide difference between characters. Another universal could make things feel less divided.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Earlier franchises? I'd really like to see steam charts for MK9. MKX for example was at 700 at this time, MK11 has 3.7k.
While I'm generally on your side for liking MK11, this is a really irrelevant argument for PC. MK9 didnt come to PC until way into the game's life and MKX was a broken mess on PC for ages while also not getting patches for a LONG time after consoles. MK11 is infinitely more stable on PC than its two predecessors which likely is a big contributor.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
No . No decent back dashes , krushin blows ONLY favor scrubs , soundtracks suck , again , stages suck again , the rooster is weak , the caracteres are Boring to play , and the rooster is weak . No kenshi takeda Cyrax setor Fujin ermac Rain . Its an ok game , but it becomes Boring after a while . That Never happen with mkx . Crazy , but fun .

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I like the game. But then again, i'm not that into the whole dissect every little thing in the game to see what's good/bad.

Still wish the skins were a little more interesting for some characters. The new female ninja ones are a nice throwback. Hopefully there's even more new ones coming down the track.

I feel that i'm a better player than in MKX, but still just a casual. Wouldn't know the frame data of a move if it hit me on the head.

Will be interesting to see how things are this time next year and what changes they make in subsequent patches.

I'd really like to know what people expect them to do about this? They can't be expected to log someones connection for 5 mins just to see if it's stable to give a more accurate indicator. It's done with some quick ping check and that's what you get.

It's just as stupid as idiots online accepting a 200ms steady connection then complaining it's laggy. Hey buddy you accepted, if you don't like it, don't accept; or go and break the laws of physics and find a better way of connecting people so we all get <50ms pings.
…. Are you me?

I don't usually reply to these kinds of threads, however as a mainly casual gamer (fighting games mainly) I wanted to share my thoughts.

Mortal Kombat has always been my main fighting game; when I was around 6, I used to 'borrow' my cousins copy of MKT as I loved it so much. Jump forward to 2019, I was super hyped for MK11. I've gotten to a stage in FGs where I actually understand them and can play beyond a casual level. I never go to locals, but I could hold my own online. I found MK11 exciting when it first come out, beyond the whole item grind mechanic which I hated (why hide key things like brutalities behind grind mechanics).

Anyway, I've put more time into MK11 than any other fighter, yet I don't feel emotionally invested when I play. I feel like I go through the same flowchart with my characters, I have the same frustrations every match and I don't enjoy watching live streams (but I'll actively watch Smash and SF5 ones). I don't know what it is about the game, because I want to love it, but likewise maybe I've got caught in the 'hardcore' forums where bashing is quite common and thus I feel uninformed about how basic the game might be. I won't lie, I do enjoy playing the game, but SF5 I would sit in the lab for hours... MK11... 15 mins with a character to learn their main moves/punishes and then online.

I can't answer the question if the game is deep, I don't have that experience, but I know there are a lot of mechanics in this game which I doubt will change and thus is leading me to feel this game might have missed the mark at a competitive level... but at a casual level... it is bang on the money!

I feel this forum sometimes forgets that MK11 is made to make money and appease fans, not just make the hardcore community happy! Casuals love the KBs, fatalities after every match and even simple gameplay... but this won't hold FG connoisseurs for long (and I'm already considering going back to SF5 - I can only ever play one FG at any one time).

So in summary, it has and hasn't been everything I wanted... and deep down, for my love of MK, it makes me a little sad!
I don’t think anybody forgot mk11 is made for casuals as well, no matter the fighting game they all must cater to casuals so to me it’s not an excuse for the games shortcomings

aj1701

Noob
I don’t like it when fighting game sequels are too similar to their predecessor. It comes across as kinda lazy to me. And pointless.
The story/characters can change, but for game play NRS always just throws shit against the wall and then doesn't care if it sticks or not b/c they move to the next game. It'd be nice not to have to relearn everything, and there's plenty of fighting games out there if you do want changes more frequently.

Gamer68

Fujin!
- Roster. Don't get me wrong, it's decent but it's missing too many classics like Reptile, Human Smoke, Cyrax/Sektor, and yes even Mileena (who I despise). Instead we have shitters like Dvorah, Frost, and Cetrion. And it's only gonna get worse as we're gonna start piling on the guest characters, MK11 being a purely MK game was fun while it lasted.
A lot of NRS' roster decisions either don't make any sense or are just plain boring:
  • Why is the base roster so similar to MKX?
  • They exclude Mileena and Rain (don't care for them much but still), then claim they aren't passionate about those characters. Mileena who has been in the past two games, is a klassic MK2 character, has a huge fanbase, and you even game Kitana her moves, but you aren't "passionate" about her?
  • Still no Fujin, Havik, Sareena, etc, despite all of those being requested a lot since MK9/MKX. Instead we get Easter Eggs like "Has anyone unlocked Fujin yet?" and "Fuck Fujin"... then we get Frost as the only 3D rep, lol.
  • Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, and Sindel are reduced to DLC characters despite all having a huge roll in MK9. With MK11 merging the past with the present, the absence of these fighters in the story made no sense. Not having Cary Tagawa in the story was also a missed opportunity to me.
  • All MKX characters are back, except Takeda and Kung Jin for some reason...
  • Not really any big body characters like Goro or Ferra/Torr.
  • No klassic cyborgs despite getting blown up last game for not having any cyborgs, so they did Triborg.
  • They put focus on the Special Forces again, specifically on the Cage Family, this time with Ronda Rousey voicing Sonya -- WHY, NRS, WHY.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
A lot of NRS' roster decisions either don't make any sense or are just plain boring:
  • Why is the base roster so similar to MKX?
  • They exclude Mileena and Rain (don't care for them much but still), then claim they aren't passionate about those characters. Mileena who has been in the past two games, is a klassic MK2 character, has a huge fanbase, and you even game Kitana her moves, but you aren't "passionate" about her?
  • Still no Fujin, Havik, Sareena, etc, despite all of those being requested a lot since MK9/MKX. Instead we get Easter Eggs like "Has anyone unlocked Fujin yet?" and "Fuck Fujin"... then we get Frost as the only 3D rep, lol.
  • Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, and Sindel are reduced to DLC characters despite all having a huge roll in MK9. With MK11 merging the past with the present, the absence of these fighters in the story made no sense. Not having Cary Tagawa in the story was also a missed opportunity to me.
  • All MKX characters are back, except Takeda and Kung Jin for some reason...
  • Not really any big body characters like Goro or Ferra/Torr.
  • No klassic cyborgs despite getting blown up last game for not having any cyborgs, so they did Triborg.
  • They put focus on the Special Forces again, specifically on the Cage Family, this time with Ronda Rousey voicing Sonya -- WHY, NRS, WHY.
Kitana will have a variation with Shao Kahn's hammer in MK12.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
If the NRS community played Mortal Kombat 9 right now, they would cry incessantly about the broken characters, glitches, and various other aspects that I prefer not to discuss in detail at the moment. If NRS balanced the game, removed the glitches, and altered some of its gameplay mechanics, the community would then claim the game is "boring" and "watered down".

Mortal Kombat 9's success is owed to the fact that NRS had created the first competitive fighting game in a long while at a time when local scenes were active and thriving. When the game's high level gameplay was perfected two years after the game's release, nobody wanted to play any longer because nobody likes to play games with broken rush down, broken zoning, 100% combos, and infinite armor.

I am kindly asking people to stop romanticizing Mortal Kombat 9. The game sucked fundamentally and should not be used as a basis for any future Mortal Kombat game. I have no idea why many people in the community continue pushing this talking point.
That's a lot of 'what if's'. People liked MK9 because it was hype in tournament and fun in casuals, broken no doubt but FUN. A lot of people are clamoring for a remastered MK9 for a reason beyond rose tinted glasses. MK11 is missing the rest of the package that made MK9 great in the eyes of the fans, the story is Marvel tier sub par crap, the roster is filled with "fan favorites" no one really wanted, there is only towers of time and RNG krypt to keep people going post story, the costumes are uninspired, FOMO kombat league skins, and more I'll omit to keep this short.

You say that the if MK9 got a remaster and fixed all the glitches and P1 advantage, all of it, that people would complain? I don't think so, I think that would re-cement the MK9 tournament hype days and put MK back in it's place as king of fighters at least until SF6 or other worthy contenders come out. MKX had a huge resurgence and revival within the community once it got it's final patch, if MK9 got that there is no way it wouldn't as well. To say it's all romanticizing and rose tints, well, I think your glasses might have cracked their lenses along the way and you've forgotten the way things truly look.

When was this said? Do you have a link?

Gamer68

Fujin!
When was this said? Do you have a link?
Found on Reddit:
https://i.redd.it/67zxhla82lr31.png

Summary of what happened if you are confused:
  • Terminator has an outro that displays a "fake Kombat Pack 2" with characters like Mileena, Rain, and a few others listed.
  • A fan got mad about it and tweeted at Daanish Syed (who is an NRS employee)
  • Fan asks how they are supposed to react to the outro when it makes fun of community requested characters
  • Syed says by laughing
  • Fan is basically like whatever, but why didn't Rain take Kollector's place in the story?
  • Syed says it's because they didn't want him to.
  • Syed goes on to say that NRS wants to give fans what they want, but they have to be passionate about it. If they aren't, then they can't do that thing justice, therefore it won't come out right and thus shouldn't be added to the game. While he isn't directly talking about Mileena, the context was on community requested content -- mainly characters -- and Mileena is obviously apart of that.
For the record, I don't agree with that fan coming at NRS employees like that. Also, at the end of the day it's NRS' game and they should do what they want with it. But I don't really think Syed's responce was a good one because he basically said 1) they aren't passionate about the characters the community wants which is crazy considering it's THEIR (NRS') characters and said characters have helped define the series, and 2) they will not add characters the community wants unless they want to... Which is basically a weird way of saying NRS will do what they want and it doesn't matter if the community wants it or not, lol.

To be fair Daanish, doesn't doesn't represent the entirety of NRS and he doesn't even decide on skins, characters, etc, as far as I know. He's mainly just a UI guy. But still, he works there and this is the closest thing we have to seeing NRS' mindset when it comes community requested characters. I'm sure there are other factors too, though. Wouldn't be surprised if they removed Mileena that way they can bring her back next game to drum up more hype (but they will probably remove Jade or Kitana, lol). Similar to what they did with Jade and Noob Saibot: They were in MK9, removed in MKX, brought back in MK11 for hype.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the lack of depth in this game has killed its longevity.

Characters need more strings.

Krushing blows need be rebalanced. Some are way too easy to trigger and others almost impossible.

Hop attacks need to be made safe. Right now no one uses them because they are high-risk/low-reward.

Throws should lose to down-pokes.

Custom variations need to be allowed in competitive.

More strings and special should launch in the corner.

D2s should be invincible to air attacks from frame 5ish.

Make all the above changes and I think the game will be much more enjoyable.

Found on Reddit:
https://i.redd.it/67zxhla82lr31.png

Summary of what happened if you are confused:
  • Terminator has an outro that displays a "fake Kombat Pack 2" with characters like Mileena, Rain, and a few others listed.
  • A fan got mad about it and tweeted at Daanish Syed (who is an NRS employee)
  • Fan asks how they are supposed to react to the outro when it makes fun of community requested characters
  • Syed says by laughing
  • Fan is basically like whatever, but why didn't Rain take Kollector's place in the story?
  • Syed says it's because they didn't want him to.
  • Syed goes on to say that NRS wants to give fans what they want, but they have to be passionate about it. If they aren't, then they can't do that thing justice, therefore it won't come out right and thus shouldn't be added to the game. While he isn't directly talking about Mileena, the context was on community requested content -- mainly characters -- and Mileena is obviously apart of that.
For the record, I don't agree with that fan coming at NRS employees like that. Also, at the end of the day it's NRS' game and they should do what they want with it. But I don't really think Syed's responce was a good one because he basically said 1) they aren't passionate about the characters the community wants which is crazy considering it's THEIR (NRS') characters and said characters have helped define the series, and 2) they will not add characters the community wants unless they want them too... Which is basically a weird way of saying NRS will do what they want and it doesn't matter if the community wants it or not, lol.

To be fair Daanish, doesn't doesn't represent the entirety of NRS and he doesn't even decide on skins, characters, etc, as far as I know. He's mainly just a UI guy. But still, he works there and this is the closest thing we have to seeing NRS' mindset when it comes community requested characters. I'm sure there are other factors too, though. Wouldn't be surprised if they removed Mileena that way they can bring her back next game to drum up more hype (but they will probably remove Jade or Kitana, lol). Similar to what they did with Jade and Noob Saibot: They were in MK9, removed in MKX, brought back in MK11 for hype.
After reading this, I think people are overreacting. NetherRealm Studios does listen to its fan base and has with every Mortal Kombat game post-Mortal Kombat (2011).

Typically as DLC, requested characters, both in-universe and guest, do get added, but it usually happens the next game/Kombat Pack.

With Mortal Kombat (2011), people were heavily requesting Tanya, Predator, Alien, Jason, Michael Myers, Tremor, etc. Look at the Kombat Pack for Mortal Kombat X.

During that game, people continued to request Alien and other horror guests like crazy, as well as Terminator, as well as heavily asking for Cyrax and Sektor and 3D era characters like Fujin, Bo, Frost, etc. Look at the Kombat Pack for Mortal Kombat XL.

The Kombat Pack for Mortal Kombat 11 is full of heavily requested characters that were being asked for heavily post-Mortal Kombat XL. Skarlett was added to the base Roster, as was Frost.

And the franchise is NetherRealm's, not ours. They decide on the roster, what klassic characters they want to work with and what new characters they want to include or create. If they don't feel a certain character for the game, it makes sense that they won't do them since they don't want to do them an injustice (pun not intended).

I say this as a Mileena main. I don't get any negativity from that tweet exchange, to be honest.