What's new

With the end of year fast approaching, has MK11 been everything you'd hoped?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
But players are leaving the game. Maybe even faster than any other MK before.
Yeah it got really big playerbase in first few months but drop was so fast and drastic.
The casual community is enormous while the competitive community is small. Unlike Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7, nobody outside of the United States plays Mortal Kombat and Injustice competitively. Well, some in the United Kingdom do, but the player base is extremely small. So the drop is predictable and has existed since the renaissance of the competitive community.

Speaking of Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7, the respective communities have prominent content creators who defend the games even when they should not be defended. On the other hand, the NRS community has nobody but a plethora of loud mouths who masquerade as "constructive critics" who do nothing but call the game "trash".

Say what you want about Mortal Kombat 11, and I have plenty of negative stuff to say, but to label the game as "trash" and treat it like some broken fighting game from the mid 90s is melodramatic, dishonest, and unproductive. Mortal Kombat 11 is most certainly the most balanced fighting game on release with the most playable online gameplay, which must carry some kind of relevance considering how Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 compare in these two aspects, particularly the horrendous netcodes.

Another major issue is that lots of people in the NRS community have absolutely no idea what they are requesting. They claim they want throws nerfed, but I guarantee you these people are the exact same ones who will then turn around and whine about being unable to break down their opponents because they are either getting out zoned or out turtled.

I commend NRS developers for ignoring the verbal diarrhea that is spewed daily on social media about the game and about their incompetence, apathy, and lack of effort.

Gamer68

Fujin!
The Fatal Blows have been stupid since the reveal event. They're long, they're boring, I've seen them so much I could act all of them out perfectly.
All Fatal Blows are a hit too long and it's actually more annoying than I thought it would be.

Example: Liu Kang hits you a bunch of times with nunchucks then SUMMONS A GIANT ASS FIRE DRAGON TO TAKE A BITE OUT OF YOU..... then Liu punches you in the gut? Like what? Why isn't the dragon the final hit? My point is that not only are the Fatal Blows too long but some of them lack impact and good choreography (or whatever you would call it -- direction?).

Say what you want about Mortal Kombat 11, and I have plenty of negative stuff to say,
That's pretty much all you had to write.

Presumably you consider yourself a constructive critic but you're making 3 hour long videos where half of it is complaining about the game.

NRS dropped the ball on this game. Who gives a fuck if the game is balanced? The game isn't FUN.

The reason why people are so emotional is because the masochists like me are still waiting for NRS to at least make an attempt to listen to fans.

basically they provided what the mk community asked for and now they dont want it, who knew!
Who asked for fatal blows or krushing blows? Who asked for flowchart characters? Who asked for an unfinished variation system? Who asked for a super poke-heavy meta? Who asked for a total focus on strike-throw mix ups? Who asked for unusable strings and set ups? Who asked for characters with slow ass mids? Who asked for 50% TOD combos because your opponent is at 30% life?

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I like it a lot.

Certain aspects, such as how the educated-guess throw escape works and the d+1 pokes are oft criticized, but I like both of those features. It reminds me of some of the mechanics in my second-favorite fighting game franchise, Virtua Fighter, which had an interesting guessing game with throw escapes and duck punches for days.

The only thing I don't like is how little time I have to play. There are at least 6 characters I'd like to learn, but I just don't have the time for that. Oh, and it annoys me that there's no way to bind consumables to a stick. I don't play a lot of single player, but I would like to mess around with that system and I just can't do pad.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
There's a lot right, and a lot wrong.

I just hope year 2 brings lots of quality of life changes. Like.. why cant I work only character tower in online matches? ;-;

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Presumably you consider yourself a constructive critic but you're making 3 hour long videos where half of it is complaining about the game.
First of all, I am not making anything. The podcast is REO's property. Second of all, I suggest you actually listen to the podcast to familiarize yourself with my opinions about Mortal Kombat 11.

Who asked for fatal blows or krushing blows? Who asked for flowchart characters? Who asked for an unfinished variation system? Who asked for a super poke-heavy meta? Who asked for a total focus on strike-throw mix ups? Who asked for unusable strings and set ups? Who asked for characters with slow ass mids? Who asked for 50% TOD combos because your opponent is at 30% life?
Nobody asked for rage art, rage drive, power crush, wall bounce, and powerful 2D characters in Tekken 7 either. These additions were highly criticized and still are to some extent, but fighting game companies are a business that wants to attract casual as well as hardcore fighting game players. The point is that the Tekken community has grown to like Tekken 7, largely because of a handful of prominent voices that vehemently support the game. Mortal Kombat 11 is lacking in this department because very few individuals religiously defend the game. In my opinion, the game is good enough and competitively worthy.

Also, NRS did give the fans what they wanted - a slower paced fighting game (in contrast to Mortal Kombat X) that is neither based on oppressive 50/50 mix ups nor oppressive zoning (in contrast to Injustice 1 and 2). You may criticize the final product, but NRS undoubtedly and unquestionably attempted to appease the fans... in their own way.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I love it. I have played one of the worst characters in the game since launch and I have nothing to bitch about. I don’t go to tournaments though.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
When you actually know how to play the game, it has very few flaws. But since TYM is online warriors haven, playing in a slideshow while refusing to lab anything and still talking shit seems to be the wave.
Man this is factually not true lol. I’ve heard from loads of top players both personally and online that this game has issues, the flaws are very apparent. Hell Deoxys made a twitlonger about the issues he feels the game has and they’re generally the same as what most fee

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
naaaa man just waiting spawn and kp2 to come back , and injustice 3 too....and we can only dream with this

\/

• MK armaggedon roster (with guests)
  • mk 9 gameplay 2v2 and new 4v4
  • mk x brutalities ,quitalities
  • new xess kombat
  • motor kombat
  • mk deception/armaggedon and mythologies sub zero konkest
  • mk 9 krypt
  • mk trilogy combos (no infinite duh)
  • mk 11 graphics and skins
  • new custom variation like inj 2 (in tournaments too just make it right not infinite op insanity)
  • mk 4 towers , gameplay speed mix with mk 9 and interactables too mix with mk 11 and mk x
  • BEST NETCODE
  • all MK classic games remaster in same blue ray no DLC
  • More Guests (all guests so far) from another games like Nemesis from Resident Evil , Isaac clark from Dead Space

thats the secret to BEST MK TO END ALL MK GAMES

Just remove those shit below

\/

No flawless block KB and FB from mk 11
No mk 9 invincible wake ups
No 50/50 cocaine rush from MK X..it
No Obnox Zooning from inj2
No rotten potato netcode from mk vs dc
No infinite from trilogy and armaggedon
No abysmal hitbox (equal rights to men and women hitbox)
No agenda (all female chars after some months of game becomes OP or anoying hoeeeee its true and every pro knows that)

Happy New Year folks

My biggest problem with NRS as a developer is that ever since MKX they get caught up in whatever the new trend is.

MKX: Pay money to unlock things early or do things for you. Don't wanna play the Krypt? Just give us $20 dollars and unlock everything now. Can't do fatalities? Buy some easy fatality tokens. All this was optional, so it didn't bother me.

Injustice 2: Loot boxes and these weren't optional. Stat modifying gear and moves were locked behind these things. Even if you didn't have to spend real money they still impact gameplay, not good.

MK11: Kombat League, a tiered list of rewards unlocked through investing time and completing challenges. Well, that sounds an awful lot like a battle pass. This mode is divisive, some like it, some hate it, and some just ignore it. I didn't mind it but ever since crossplay I've only played casual mode and I've had more fun that way.

I just want them to focus more on the core gameplay experience and less on bullshit like this, Injustice 2 was particularly bad.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
My biggest problem with NRS as a developer is that ever since MKX they get caught up in whatever the new trend is.

MKX: Pay money to unlock things early or do things for you. Don't wanna play the Krypt? Just give us $20 dollars and unlock everything now. Can't do fatalities? Buy some easy fatality tokens. All this was optional, so it didn't bother me.

Injustice 2: Loot boxes and these weren't optional. Stat modifying gear and moves were locked behind these things. Even if you didn't have to spend real money they still impact gameplay, not good.

MK11: Kombat League, a tiered list of rewards unlocked through investing time and completing challenges. Well, that sounds an awful lot like a battle pass. This mode is divisive, some like it, some hate it, and some just ignore it. I didn't mind it but ever since crossplay I've only played casual mode and I've had more fun that way.

I just want them to focus more on the core gameplay experience and less on bullshit like this, Injustice 2 was particularly bad.
This is because lots of people are into these things. Just because you aren't (I'm not particularly either) doesn't mean that millions of other people are not.

And I think it was actually smart of them to get a way to encourage lots of people to try online play against others in a tiered system. They are expanding the audience for competitive-style play, which is exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

I think they should fix Kombat League so that it doesn't reset every month, which would make the ranks actually mean something (each rank is a mess right now). But I don't think there's any denying that KL has been a major success for them over the usual generic 'ranked' mode.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I checked out a few months in. It’s a fun lil game. That’s all. It’s too lacking and boring for me. Too slow, combo potential is extremely dry... Not my kind of game unfortunately.

I don't have a problem with combat league (or battle passes in general) and if any skins that strike my fancy show up I'll play again. But, I see this type of system as player retention and not to motivate you to try online. I imagine most players will dip their toes into online at least a few times, this is to keep you coming back. Wanna get this month's skins? Make sure to log in and climb that ladder and if you don't play frequently enough you'll receive a penalty. That's also why they have to rest the ranks after each season, otherwise, you would just automatically get the rewards for those ranks.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Lacks custom variations. The game is REALLY polished except for the variations system which is a janky implementation seemingly thrown on as they couldn't get custom variations to gel before launch; and the gameplay, graphics, sound, roster etc. is REALLY objectively good on most counts. It's just.. a bit too bland to hold my interest (and lots of others too, it seems)