What's new

With the end of year fast approaching, has MK11 been everything you'd hoped?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I genuinely don’t know which is why I’m asking this, how is the competitive scene in comparison to the other NRS titles? Are there still lots of players and big tourneys?
So far it's the best representation our community has had in tournament. Highest numbers, lots of elite-level players who can challenge each other, and a lot of hype/great matches/close sets.

I had to delete the game from my HDD to make room for some others and I haven't missed it since. Been a couple months since I've played it. I hate to say it but maybe I'm done with MK? The last MK I really loved was MK9. This is a good MK but some small things bothered me. My #1 pet peeve is playing against WiFi laggy connections. I'm sorry but it's 2019 (almost 2020) and its unacceptable to be forced into matches against "50-100 ping' players only for it to bounce around from 80-400 ping. I shouldn't have to suffer for other people's shitty connections.

Great game with some ugly flaws, particularly the 20 frame invincible wakeups, hitboxes, and variable block stun.

I really appreciate NRS' risk taking with their games, and personally I really like what they've done with MK11. It certainly needs improvements but I really like where the core game is at.

Also I have to experience Spawn so I'm locked in.

Last edited:
I had to delete the game from my HDD to make room for some others and I haven't missed it since. Been a couple months since I've played it. I hate to say it but maybe I'm done with MK? The last MK I really loved was MK9. This is a good MK but some small things bothered me. My #1 pet peeve is playing against WiFi laggy connections. I'm sorry but it's 2019 (almost 2020) and its unacceptable to be forced into matches against "50-100 ping' players only for it to bounce around from 80-400 ping. I shouldn't have to suffer for other people's shitty connections.
The lack of matchmaking filters is stupid but I get why they do it. The connection quality bar or ping should be more accurate, there are way too many catfish connections in this game.

I like the game. But then again, i'm not that into the whole dissect every little thing in the game to see what's good/bad.

Still wish the skins were a little more interesting for some characters. The new female ninja ones are a nice throwback. Hopefully there's even more new ones coming down the track.

I feel that i'm a better player than in MKX, but still just a casual. Wouldn't know the frame data of a move if it hit me on the head.

Will be interesting to see how things are this time next year and what changes they make in subsequent patches.

The connection quality bar or ping should be more accurate
I'd really like to know what people expect them to do about this? They can't be expected to log someones connection for 5 mins just to see if it's stable to give a more accurate indicator. It's done with some quick ping check and that's what you get.

It's just as stupid as idiots online accepting a 200ms steady connection then complaining it's laggy. Hey buddy you accepted, if you don't like it, don't accept; or go and break the laws of physics and find a better way of connecting people so we all get <50ms pings.

Besides the hit-box issues, unbalanced characters etc. I'm aesthetically not pleased with the game. Gameplay wise it's a bit to stiff and clunky for me.

Mk9 remaster or no MK for probably a long time

Last edited:

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Honestly, this game is a sore disappointment because one thing i really loved about mk games was just going into the lab and learning stuff. This game doesn't really allow that. Also i despise the fact that all defensive mechanics are literally just on knockdown and how the game just becomes a very monotonous 50/50.

I can handle fucked up mkx mixups because at least I knew most were punishable instead of half the shit in this game. Also the poking system is absolute fucking garbage.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
The game was incomplete from the start and may not fully be done for another year or so, we just gotta roll with it. After the third major patch i think the game was put in its best state.

I have very recently just accepted this game for what it is and it can deff be fun. Its what i liked about mkx without the stuff i didnt like about mkx. I give nrs props because they can basically keep this system for future games if they add adjustments.

Love the cast. Love the risk reward (for the most part). Some of the cast seems bland but then you have characters like kotal, dvorah, and skarlet who seem very unique to me.

BIGGEST GRIPES: Unlocking stuff, wifi battles, useless varations, Geras, missed inputs/clunky timings.

I'd really like to know what people expect them to do about this? They can't be expected to log someones connection for 5 mins just to see if it's stable to give a more accurate indicator. It's done with some quick ping check and that's what you get.

It's just as stupid as idiots online accepting a 200ms steady connection then complaining it's laggy. Hey buddy you accepted, if you don't like it, don't accept; or go and break the laws of physics and find a better way of connecting people so we all get <50ms pings.
I understand how it works, and maybe your right and there might not be a way to do it. It's their job as the developers to find the solutions to these problems and usually result in some sort of matchmaking filters that would help lessen misleading connections.

As for people accepting matches over 150 ping (the threshold they let you decline), I agree. If you accept a match like that you don't have the right to complain, what did you expect?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I understand how it works, and maybe your right and there might not be a way to do it. It's their job as the developers to find the solutions to these problems and usually result in some sort of matchmaking filters that would help lessen misleading connections.

As for people accepting matches over 150 ping (the threshold they let you decline), I agree. If you accept a match like that you don't have the right to complain, what did you expect?
Ping is constantly happening. It's jumping around by the moment in game, and the game is hoping for what is approximately 60 updates a second and coping with what it actually gets. It's very possible for it to keep getting ping updates and reflect stability and average adjustments while people are deciding. DOA6 actually does this in a really simple way.

There is room to debate if there is value in doing that or making things more complicated to assess, but I don't see any technical reason they couldn't offer a rough stability estimate over a couple of seconds of decision making.

It's probably more likely they don't want to discourage the acceptance of matches, cut the matching pool into smaller subsets making it feel like fewer people are playing, or some similar argument.

They could also track people's connection over all of time. If someone is constantly having jittery connections, or some other red flag, they could tell who is having issues and offer suggestions on things they could try to improve their online contribution. That's confrontational though, even if done politely, and sometimes you just can't win so you do nothing.

I'm not sure how much this makes sense without the post you quoted also, but oh well.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I've checked out. Unless someone in my town needs some practice, I'm not playing. I LOVE D'vorah's design, but that's about it.

VISUAL STYLE
I was immediately disappointed in the reveal with the artstyle. I was hoping for something new, maybe a more cartoonish style. A departure. But it felt like they just took the MKX direction and upgraded it.

INJUSTICE SIMILIARITIES (more of them)
After MKX incorporated ineteractables, I'm sad to see this game incorporate even more elements from injustice. I'm specifically talking about the breakaway mechanic and the HUGE DISTANCE between characters. The game feels slow. I wasn't sure but after a night at my house with my team, playing MK11 for hours, we put on MK9 on my PC for some fun and I was just blown away by how much more fast-paced and fun it was. Sure, I'm nostalgic. But something has gotten lost over these past few installments, and I wish for it to come back.

FATAL BLOWS
The Fatal Blows have been stupid since the reveal event. They're long, they're boring, I've seen them so much I could act all of them out perfectly. Sure, part of the reason I hate them is because I get hit by them, because I'm no pro. But that's not the point. The point is that the entire meta is thrown out the window when someone is at 30% life and the game turns into a "will he or won't he" that makes the game both uninteresting to play and uninteresting to watch. They should not regenerate if you use it and miss. They should not have armor on them. They should cost 2 offensive bars of meter. Something. Just do something.

THROWS
Throws eat normals, and crouching normals at that. A Down+3 getting grabbed is absurb and leads to so many "come onnnn" moments in play, when grabs should really only be good against blocking opponents like they used to.

POKES
The poking game continues to be obnoxious.

ROSTER
The character variation is boring. Ever since MKX this serious has felt like the Cage/Briggs family party. This is the second game in a row without Cyrax and Sektor as launch characters. 2 games without Sheeva. No Havik. No Onaga. No Fujin. The "cartoonish" characters aren't present. On top of that, Ermac, Quan, are Reptile are also gone. And while there are still some good fun characters here like Dvorah, Frost, Baraka and Kollector, the game feels like it's packed with the more "realistic" characters. A bunch of humans really. Cassie, Jackie, Sonya, Liu, Lao, Johnny, Jax, Kabal, Kano, Erron, you know what I'm saying. I share similar complaints about the stages and music. It just feels blander this time around. Except that menu theme which is awesome.

VARIATIONS
I'm tired of this. It's so much more work to learn all these variations of all these characters on top of their base movesets and normals. And then they release a 3rd variation and I'm like "seriously? I have to learn about a third variation for 30+ characters? No way." That's when I was done. I was upset they'd brought back the variation system for MK11, and I hope for a return to a single character design in the future.

In conclusion,
this game has made me think a lot about why I loved MK9. Obviously a large part is what it meant to me in the time. But what really stands out to me is this...

In MK9, when I'm pissed off about something it either has to do with 1) Balance, or 2) Glitches. It's never about the design of the game.
In MK11, I'm pissed off by the mechanics of the game. And it leads to me feelings more frustrated than excited, even when I'm winning. And this difference is massive.

I’m more of a casual player that still goes online and I have keen interest in getting better.

This is my favorite mk game. I can’t quite tell you why. According to my steam profile I have spent close to 500 hrs on this game. I haven’t spent nearly this amount of time on any other game before.... ever. There’s something about this game I find very addictive. I’m still not bored with it.

Things I wish were better:
Fatal blows and fatalities are too long. Slows down the pace and makes me tired.

Grinding requirements such as do this amount of this (fatal blows, fatality, brutality etc...) in character towers just need to go. I know it’s reduced but it’s still annoying. I’d have more incentive to grind them if they were not so demanding.

Krypt needs to be improved. I’m only getting junk now. I still have a bunch of artwork that needs to be unlocked.

Losing points for not playing in kombat league needs to go.

Frost needs robotic internals like terminator

Mk 11 is BIG dissapointment for me. I don't know why NRS changed good mechanics from MK9 and MKX. They make Mk11 very friendly to less skilled players. I dont like booth KB and FB. Bar management is also tragic. Wake up system is disaster because booth Wake ups are weak. What Can I say? I expect MKX without 50/50. I've got Injustice 2 in MK universum.

I also miss MK9. I hope NRS will do something with Mk11. In my Country this game is dead. Nobody like it :-(

I play this only because I bought it in pre order for 50 Euros.

Last edited:

Raider

Noob
I can't stop wondering how are they planning to support the game for 4 years tho. So far... they showed that they don't really have anything to offer.
DLC characters are being released with 2 months gap between them. There were only few Kombat Kasts after the game release, and they were all before the DLC character release. We only got one major balance patch. They added zero stages so far. No new finishers. No stage fatalities... Only thing they did is 3rd variation and crappy Kombat League. I really wonder what are they planning to do and how can they keep this game alive for 4 years like they said.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I can't stop wondering how are they planning to support the game for 4 years tho. So far... they showed that they don't really have anything to offer.
DLC characters are being released with 2 months gap between them. There were only few Kombat Kasts after the game release, and they were all before the DLC character release. We only got one major balance patch. They added zero stages so far. No new finishers. No stage fatalities... Only thing they did is 3rd variation and crappy Kombat League. I really wonder what are they planning to do and how can they keep this game alive for 4 years like they said.
By not adding all you just mentioned until a later point, taking their time to make these things and also testing things thoroughly for future balance patches. By not being hasty and just throw things at us as much as possible, the support for the game covers a longer timespan, and the devs don't need to rush or crunch for things to reach certain deadlines.

That's just speculation on my part though, as I obviously don't actually know what's going on at NRS or WB.

Raider

Noob
By not adding all you just mentioned until a later point, taking their time to make these things and also testing things thoroughly for future balance patches. By not being hasty and just throw things at us as much as possible, the support for the game covers a longer timespan, and the devs don't need to rush or crunch for things to reach certain deadlines.

That's just speculation on my part though, as I obviously don't actually know what's going on at NRS or WB.
But players are leaving the game. Maybe even faster than any other MK before.
Yeah it got really big playerbase in first few months but drop was so fast and drastic.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
But players are leaving the game. Maybe even faster than any other MK before.
Yeah it got really big playerbase in first few months but drop was so fast and drastic.
Patience is a virtue most people in present day don't really have. People have grown accustomed to instant gratification and a constant wave of content being thrown at them, because their attention span has shortened immensely. NRS players more so, as we've gotten used to getting a new game every other year, meaning that the support for their games are short-lived.

I've seen a lot of people requesting for the MK games to get support over a longer time. NRS seems to do that, taking their time to make the content and such. That there are people who aren't patient enough to wait for it is just unfortunate, really.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
The thing i miss about mk the most is the dark vibe and the music. Nowadays it seems like every game has to have a cassie and her mother. Not really a fan of those "realistic" characters, i prefer the likes of noob saibot and cyrax etc.
Also another thing wich other ppl mentioned alot is that i get bored of it faster then previous mk games, probably because less combo options or offensive options.
I dont like the variation system either.
Other then that i like the game.