What's new

Why the MK community should FULLY support MLG.

Cerebru

Noob
I know I'm not well known but i was at MLG Raleigh last year..... Always a great scene and i placed 4th for 700 washingtons

Metalic

Noob
But shouldnt MLG have priority? I'm just saying that WE CAN NOT LET THIS FLOP.
MLG over EVO? No, no way. You can talk about how the FGC disrespects MK etc etc all you want; but numbers and actions speak. Being at EVO was a fucking massive step for MK as a whole, to get a game the community itself admits is flawed in various ways on the biggest stage TWO years in a row, THAT is why you should play the game. As the game and community grow so will its respect, it's not an overnight process or a short one at all.

I understand that EVO is a highly prestigious event, and its our world tournament, but shouldn't money matter?
Of course money matters, but the real question is how much does it matter and how much does it take? Which players will value money over supporting the grassroots scene? When is it so much money that it's blatantly obvious to go? I'd go nuts if you told me our top players could get paid like JWong, Floe, Diago, PR Rog, etc. They deserve it. Then you have to weigh the cons. Say MK gets picked up the Winter Season but gets dropped shortly after for whatever reason. There's a realistic chance people are just going to quit playing due to the drastic drop in payout. And on the side note, if MK numbers dropped too drastically at grassroots majors then the game would likely be dropped from them. Then dropped from EVO. Then boom, there goes 2 years of work put in for a bigger payout. I realize I'm being mister pessimistic, but it's not all that outlandish. MK will always have a following, but no one wants to go in reverse here.

Basically what I'm getting at is that MLG has a bad history with FG's, and a shaky start with MK. Twice now scheduling has been terrible in comparison to other majors going on. Their (MLG) events should get attention, but not at the cost of our own just yet. Personally MLG just rubs me the wrong way in general, but that's my opinion. I respect what they're trying to do, and MK getting attention from someone as big as them CAN'T be bad.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I was talking to Sabin about this. The biggest concern with the FGC is just this. That our community ran events would be ran at the same time as MLG events, and there would be no communication to avoid that. However, I feel it's slightly different with MK. No offense to anyone, but I feel that the MK community would be better off pushing for MK9 at MLG. If we got the same respect and numbers as say SSF4 AE got then it'd be different. I think MLG is an amazing opportunity for our community. They really need to communicate with our community (MK) leaders and TO's though, and from I've heard there's some behind the scenes shit already taking place like that.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Also, I doubt MLG will end up landing on the same weekend as EVO. It worked out that way last year because they didn't have a fighting game division, people are so paranoid.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I was talking to Sabin about this. The biggest concern with the FGC is just this. That our community ran events would be ran at the same time as MLG events, and there would be no communication to avoid that. However, I feel it's slightly different with MK. No offense to anyone, but I feel that the MK community would be better off pushing for MK9 at MLG. If we got the same respect and numbers as say SSF4 AE got then it'd be different. I think MLG is an amazing opportunity for our community. They really need to communicate with our community (MK) leaders and TO's though, and from I've heard there's some behind the scenes shit already taking place like that.
Grassroots majors should be scheduling around MLG, it's not like the MK is a big draw at grassroots tournaments anyway. What I mean by that is that most grassroots events are built around other games and MK is thrown in as an extra event.