What's new

Why MKX's Enhanced Online Is Important

Hmm... promising though it sounds, I'm going to avoid getting too excited about it until I can actually see the difference for myself. Or, more accurately, feel the difference as I'm playing.

At the very least, it's unlikely to make the online gameplay worse.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
..."the model we are moving towards is similar in function to GGPO"...
I would be prudent, there's something weird right there.
It's their own in house build

SFV is doing the exact same and their Rollback is really good from my time playing

d3v

SRK
MKX's current online play utilizes a method of showing latency called input delay.
This is a bit mis-informative as it makes it seem that only one form of netcode has input delay, while the other (rollback) does not.

This is false. Both methods of doing netcode have input delay. Nothing can break the laws of physics after all and data still has to travel that distance. The difference is that the traditional method has variable input delay, that is, delay that changes throughout the match, interfering with timing.

Rollback netcode, due to the fact that it simulates forward (i.e. continues the game without waiting for the other peer to confirm receipt of inputs) has fixed input delay. The input delay is set based on the approximate time it should take data to reach the other client, so as to do its best to keep the games in sync and minimize the amount of rollbacks.

Now theoretically, you could set rollback netcode to have 0 input delay, but again thanks to physics, this usually means in alot of desyncs and therefore, alot of rollbacks.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
BTW, i've played USF4 with a wireless ass connection before, and Smith defeated a guile player from portugal racting perfectly to punish flash kicks and jump ins while using evil ryu, i played TTT2 as well, and was hella slow as hell, but still beat the crap out of my opponent.

I still have a wireless connection but is 10x better than the older one, i played MKX online within the ppl of my region and i could see as a thing i would adapt too in long term, but knowing 100% that wasn't a reliable way to traduce my game to offline, also played some dude from europe on the same week, and got booped a lot because i couldn't confirm anything at all.

So, if MKX is to be changed with GGPO, as long as you have a good connection even, you might still be able to play at some doable rate better than the actual model.

I will try to acquire the beta subscription, because i want to test out with my wireless connection which is probably the most ass in the community to give my feedback on how doable it is while fighting ppl overseas.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Everyone needs to remember this is NOT GGPO netcode.

It's a FORM of GGPO created by netherrealms to produce the same results as GGPO.

Lag will still be lag, although it will be less in the feel and more in the visual

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think the most important factor of this besides making online play more legitimate. Is that this hopefully means we'll be getting rollback for injustice 2. IDK about anyone else but after MKx, Injustice 2 was on a no buy list. Now I can put it on the watch list and see how everything holds up after release.

It'd be great if this "Enhanced Online" gets pushed to the real game before the end of the year.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
..."the model we are moving towards is similar in function to GGPO"...
I would be prudent, there's something weird right there.
Everyone needs to remember this is NOT GGPO netcode.

It's a FORM of GGPO created by netherrealms to produce the same results as GGPO.

Lag will still be lag, although it will be less in the feel and more in the visual
It still means that they're using rollback. SFxT, KI and SFV also don't use GGPO but another means of rollback and they're great. GGPO is just a point of reference in order to make it easier for people who are unfamiliar to rollback netcode understand what it is.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
It still means that they're using rollback. SFxT, KI and SFV also don't use GGPO but another means of rollback and they're great. GGPO is just a point of reference in order to make it easier for people who are unfamiliar to rollback netcode understand what it is.

Yup. Exactly what I'm trying to explain.

No matter what kind of netcode u use, a bad connection will always be a bad connection is all I'm getting at.

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART
Taken from a series of tweets I put out, this was just a fairly barebones explanation of what exactly is going on with the Enhanced Online update and what it actually means. I know some people are questioning the legitimacy of the change on here, and are generally misinformed on the subject. Just a little education for you. Check it out:

MKX's current online play utilizes a method of showing latency called input delay. This simply means that your commands get delayed according to your connection to your opponent. This creates massive issues in general play such as confirming and landing combos, and reacting to situations within the game properly. It is a huge problem for playing any online game, and makes the experience unpleasant.

What the Enhanced Online is doing is introducing a new method to display your latency within the game, known as rollbacks. The PC app, Good Game Peace Out, or GGPO for short, was created utilizing rollbacks, and popularized the concept. What it does is reads your inputs, game, constantly using savestates to "roll back" the game in order to solve any desynchronization between two players. What this does is allows your inputs to come out at a consistently low response rate, as low as your inputs would offline. The side effect, however, is that whenever the connection gets sketchy, the game does a lot of major rolling back, creating jumps and skips within the gameplay, even removing victories on your screen. While this is all jarring, in a good connection, this will never happen.

The reason why this is a great change is so that playing online doesn't feel like underwater, even on a connection that shouldn't feel like such. Bad connections won't feel any better than variable input delay.

TL;DR - MKX online, if done right, will be WORLDS better than it currently is.

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART
This will make me really happy.This should have been done from the beginning but at least there trying to fix it now

9_Lives

Noob
I got flawlessed by a Jax this week who did nothing but b3~bfd2, and no amount of button pressing, blocking, whateva was sufficient to make my guy move and stop the savage beating. It was really depressing, so hearing that bit of info this week really boosted my spirits.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Would be really cool if once they got the enhanced online working, MK9 and Injustice could be re-released with it too.