What's new

Why MKX's Enhanced Online Is Important

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Taken from a series of tweets I put out, this was just a fairly barebones explanation of what exactly is going on with the Enhanced Online update and what it actually means. I know some people are questioning the legitimacy of the change on here, and are generally misinformed on the subject. Just a little education for you. Check it out:

MKX's current online play utilizes a method of showing latency called input delay. This simply means that your commands get delayed according to your connection to your opponent. This creates massive issues in general play such as confirming and landing combos, and reacting to situations within the game properly. It is a huge problem for playing any online game, and makes the experience unpleasant.

What the Enhanced Online is doing is introducing a new method to display your latency within the game, known as rollbacks. The PC app, Good Game Peace Out, or GGPO for short, was created utilizing rollbacks, and popularized the concept. What it does is reads your inputs, game, constantly using savestates to "roll back" the game in order to solve any desynchronization between two players. What this does is allows your inputs to come out at a consistently low response rate, as low as your inputs would offline. The side effect, however, is that whenever the connection gets sketchy, the game does a lot of major rolling back, creating jumps and skips within the gameplay, even removing victories on your screen. While this is all jarring, in a good connection, this will never happen.

The reason why this is a great change is so that playing online doesn't feel like underwater, even on a connection that shouldn't feel like such. Bad connections won't feel any better than variable input delay.

TL;DR - MKX online, if done right, will be WORLDS better than it currently is.

Attachments

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I'm curious how much testing they have already done internally at NRS, and what the results have been. They must have already at least had some positive test results, or creating this hype train would be very risky.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I wonder how much of an overhaul this will be to the game and how (if ever) they implement it. The fact that the beta is only 4 characters makes me think this is going to be a very large undertaking for NRS. Hope the beta goes well plz lawd

Wait this could cause a lot of casuals to quit this game because thier yolo wake ups don't work anymor......wait forget everything I said and ban me please.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Very well written write up that should help a lot of people

It's weird to say but if there is somebody laggy I usually play it be quite satisfying to actually see the lag

Wait.....

What if a really laggy match happens on ESL?

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
I just want to punish Mileena's roll online.... is this too much to ask ?!.... :DOGE

P.S. so this basically means, that the "Legendary technique" of mashing down 1, into Oh/Low/Grab "Mix up", is not going to work online anymore ?!... oh man... how the hell i'm gonna get my "W"s now ?!.....

Xev

Noob
Thinking that I might actually be able to do nimble combo's online is godlike, I'm excited.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
I hated the MKX netcode almost as much as I love GGPO, this is fantastic news! I don't even care that both of my mains aren't in the beta, I'll play whiffticuffs if need be, I just want to play MKX with good netcode finally.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
For anyone who hasn't played other fighting games that use rollback/GGPO style netcode, the difference is unexplainable.

Skullgirls plays incredibly online because of it, if any of you have had the pleasure of playing Skullgirls. I've had Philly to San Diego matches that felt like we were in the same room. It has the potential to be that good.

I'm eager to see how NRS's rollback implementation turns out.