What's new

Why do so many suddenly dislike the level of chip damage?

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
People dislike the chip damage because there's so many situations where it's like you have a small chunk of health they do a run cancel and then boom you're dead. This game doesn't reward defensive players who can properly play keep out since so many characters have tools to get in extremely easily.

That said, I've always said that the combination of chip on block normal combined with throw teching being a complete guess is the absolute worst part about MK games. If someone is going to force you to block from block string pressure and then use a tick throw setup and it's completely obvious and completely readable, teching the subsequent throw SHOULD NOT BE A GUESS.

Throw teching inputs should be 1+3 universally. There's no reason for them not to be.
Want to kill the very few characters in this game without a standing overhead?

TamedLizard

Buff George
It's crucial and or very pivotal for a lot of characters gameplay. Kobu, FF, Venomous, Tempest, and I'd even argue Shinnok.

I've been playing Venomous quite a bit lately and the chip is literally her whole game. You blocked F22 EX Spray or 112 EX Spray? Awsum. You still dead. ^.^

People dislike the chip damage because there's so many situations where it's like you have a small chunk of health they do a run cancel and then boom you're dead. This game doesn't reward defensive players who can properly play keep out since so many characters have tools to get in extremely easily.

Want to kill the very few characters in this game without a standing overhead?
Have you ever played a game where throw teching isn't 50/50 and there isn't chip on block normals? Not having a standing overhead does not invalidate anything in that situation. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here. Play street fighter. Tell me how Cammy and Rufus are totally killed beause of universal throw teching not being stupid.

This isn't directed at you. But guys.... You don't get to complain about safe 50/50s and also be in favor of current throw teching. Guess what. Throws are safe 50/50s.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Have you ever played a game where throw teching isn't 50/50 and there isn't chip on block normals? Not having a standing overhead does not invalidate anything in that situation. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here. Play street fighter. Tell me how Cammy and Rufus are totally killed beause of universal throw teching not being stupid.

This isn't directed at you. But guys.... You don't get to complain about safe 50/50s and also be in favor of current throw teching. Guess what. Throws are safe 50/50s.
I do agree with you about the throw teching, now the chip though. Just wanted to say that people usually complain about safe 50/50s when they get crazy high damage from them.

I do agree with you about the throw teching, now the chip though. Just wanted to say that people usually complain about safe 50/50s when they get crazy high damage from them.
Chip damage and throw teching should be discussed in the same topic imo. Guaranteed chip damage that leads to a safe 50/50 is stupid. Guaranteed chip damage that leads to a readable and teachable throw, not so stupid. Chip damage by itself isn't that big of a deal. Chip damage with throwing being what it is, just terrible.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
i dont kown why so many people complain. Mk has always been an aggressive game where u might get chipped da heck out of it. It happened since mk1 so i guess its time to get used to it.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
That said, I've always said that the combination of chip on block normal combined with throw teching being a complete guess is the absolute worst part about MK games. If someone is going to force you to block from block string pressure and then use a tick throw setup and it's completely obvious and completely readable, teching the subsequent throw SHOULD NOT BE A GUESS.

Throw teching inputs should be 1+3 universally. There's no reason for them not to be.

If their throw is completely obvious why not skip the tech attempt and just blow them up for trying the throw in the first place

If their throw is completely obvious why not skip the tech attempt and just blow them up for trying the throw in the first place
valid point.

As I said I feel it's not as big of a problem as it was in MK9 because there aren't as many plus on block strings, so there aren't as many situations where you can't get a normal out before you are forced to tech due to being so negative from the previous block string.

I am really curious though. Why isn't throw teching 1+3?

Seems like that sort of thing is a super obvious change that should have been made from MK9. Haven't seen any real explanation as to why it makes sense for it not to be that way.

I mean, I understand the "can't please everybody" stuff. But I really haven't seen anyone think 50/50 throws are a good idea. Like... ever.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Teching throws is tough most of the time but it just comes down to another read. Most players want to keep you in corner or throw you into the corner so if your aware of your stage placement you can know which way they are going to throw you.

Now midscreen its definitely a 50/50 because they could go either way

Thank you! It annoys me when I see comentators complimenting players for techining throws consistently when I'm thinking why not full combo them instead of teching, makes no sense to tech when you can read it and get a full combo punish lol

Thank you! It annoys me when I see comentators complimenting players for techining throws consistently when I'm thinking why not full combo them instead of teching, makes no sense to tech when you can read it and get a full combo punish lol
Maybe they are reacting to the throw animation and not guessing.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I like the chip damage. I have to adjust to it and such but it adds another level of strategy and offense to the game.

Kotal has a nice loopable chip setup, but if you have meter and are smart, he will pay. Provided heavy, loopable, chipbased scenarios have reasonable escape options .. I like it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
valid point.

As I said I feel it's not as big of a problem as it was in MK9 because there aren't as many plus on block strings, so there aren't as many situations where you can't get a normal out before you are forced to tech due to being so negative from the previous block string.

I am really curious though. Why isn't throw teching 1+3?

Seems like that sort of thing is a super obvious change that should have been made from MK9. Haven't seen any real explanation as to why it makes sense for it not to be that way.

I mean, I understand the "can't please everybody" stuff. But I really haven't seen anyone think 50/50 throws are a good idea. Like... ever.
Throwing directions are usually mad obvious, unless you're actually trying to close out a round or match.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Chip damage and throw teching should be discussed in the same topic imo. Guaranteed chip damage that leads to a safe 50/50 is stupid. Guaranteed chip damage that leads to a readable and teachable throw, not so stupid. Chip damage by itself isn't that big of a deal. Chip damage with throwing being what it is, just terrible.
I completely agree. I love the current chip system but would prefer a one button throw tech to what we have now. I just thought the comparison of throws to normal 50/50s is a bit of a stretch based on the stupid damage most get off a 50/50.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
This game doesn't reward defensive players
That's the whole point of chip. If the game rewards a majority defensive play style, then neither player is really obligated to attack, since defending is better. Obviously that would be really boring. The only thing you're guaranteed on most blockstrings is chip. The aggressor deserves that much for taking initiative.

So I'm sure some people complain that it doesn't reward defensive play, but that's a terrible argument because that would just be boring. Sort of like fighting Unbreakable on Very Hard AI.