What's new

General/Other - Deceptive Why Deceptive variation is GOOD

Redk9

Noob
Because reptile has more time to get right mixup and apply staggered string pressure with slight frame advantage and and makes the enemy lose composure which is cool :p
You can see the dust from where reptile steps. The opponent can count the number of hits and figure out which frame trap you did. And on a competitive level no one should be losing their composure at the novelty of you becoming invisible. There's a reason no one uses this variation at a high level. Because its simply not worth it.

Kalaise

Noob
You can see the dust from where reptile steps. The opponent can count the number of hits and figure out which frame trap you did. And on a competitive level no one should be losing their composure at the novelty of you becoming invisible. There's a reason no one uses this variation at a high level. Because its simply not worth it.
IM IN A HIGH PACE MK MATCH LET ME WATCH THE GROUND AND COUNT HIS STEPS. And the composure bit was not a serious reason as to why it's good lol. If you want we can play and I can show you ;)

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Nobody will ever fall for invisible crap. Once they see a string end they'll just mash safe armor crap or projectiles or spam jumpin 3s which you can't do jack shit about, and you'll get blown up each time. Reptile's no mk9 cage to keep constant pressure invis so they could actually fall for a frame trap.

You're also spending a bar for this, and there's no way in hell in deceptive you're going to profit more than 20-25% on a perfect read, from it.

If on a correct read you would get 40-50% then probably I'll consider a risk worth taking.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
IM IN A HIGH PACE MK MATCH LET ME WATCH THE GROUND AND COUNT HIS STEPS. And the composure bit was not a serious reason as to why it's good lol. If you want we can play and I can show you ;)
Maybe sonic foxes and yomis can do that kind of thing if Reptile becomes popular. And now we have predator, he can turn invis too. We scrubs don't have to worry about that.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Reptiles mix ups are unreactable anyways. Who cares if he's invisible or not?
I would argue that there's a lot more to it than that. Even unreactable 50/50s are reacted to in some way based off player patterns and etc. Also range comes into play when blocking considering his overhead option has less range than his lows. You can't really tell what strings he's using when totally invisible which can benefit strings like b1 d4 and f412 that hit low and overhead on the 2nd hit and grant a combo.

It's not like you really just have to rush in and 50/50 either. You can provoke mistakes if somebody tries to be more aggressive and push offense if they try to play more defensive. Not to mention he takes less damage and can be a little more risky which seems to compliment the fact that you're invisible. I'm not sure how viable the armor set ups are because I'm not super familiar with this variation. I play a reptile player on a regular basis and I'm mostly theory fighting when it comes to deceptive.

Imo this variation is totally viable in certain match ups. Obviously against characters like scorpion you should stick to something like noxious but deceptive can be totally viable against certain characters imo.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I'm tired of this reptile up playing. He is not "good" he is the second worst character in the game. Reptile mains need to stop being stubborn. There is nothing wrong with accepting the truth. This character is crap

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
How? This is fact and has worked on a number of people. I also used words like mostly to clarify it doesn't work on everyone. I cannot possibly see how.
Pretty much all my points are going to come down to this: you cannot argue a character is useful and good by solely basing it on the fact that your opponent does not know the mu or is familiar with certain gimmicks
I'm enjoying seeing you two go back and forth with your avatars.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I'm tired of this reptile up playing. He is not "good" he is the second worst character in the game. Reptile mains need to stop being stubborn. There is nothing wrong with accepting the truth. This character is crap
After all the buffs and nerfs in the last patch you still think he's bottom 2? Come on, I don't think he's that bad.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
After all the buffs and nerfs in the last patch you still think he's bottom 2? Come on, I don't think he's that bad.
Only buff he got was d3 made two frames faster which in my books was a fix not a buff since there was bull shit pressure he had absolutely no answer to since his fastest move was a shit priority 8 frame special. He's still crap and he actually is now worse after this patch after all the other low tiers got buffs galore

Kalaise

Noob
Nobody will ever fall for invisible crap. Once they see a string end they'll just mash safe armor crap or projectiles or spam jumpin 3s which you can't do jack shit about, and you'll get blown up each time. Reptile's no mk9 cage to keep constant pressure invis so they could actually fall for a frame trap.

You're also spending a bar for this, and there's no way in hell in deceptive you're going to profit more than 20-25% on a perfect read, from it.

If on a correct read you would get 40-50% then probably I'll consider a risk worth taking.
LOL

Kalaise

Noob
Only buff he got was d3 made two frames faster which in my books was a fix not a buff since there was bull shit pressure he had absolutely no answer to since his fastest move was a shit priority 8 frame special. He's still crap and he actually is now worse after this patch after all the other low tiers got buffs galore
He's gotten way more buffs than that.

Kalaise

Noob
I would argue that there's a lot more to it than that. Even unreactable 50/50s are reacted to in some way based off player patterns and etc. Also range comes into play when blocking considering his overhead option has less range than his lows. You can't really tell what strings he's using when totally invisible which can benefit strings like b1 d4 and f412 that hit low and overhead on the 2nd hit and grant a combo.

It's not like you really just have to rush in and 50/50 either. You can provoke mistakes if somebody tries to be more aggressive and push offense if they try to play more defensive. Not to mention he takes less damage and can be a little more risky which seems to compliment the fact that you're invisible. I'm not sure how viable the armor set ups are because I'm not super familiar with this variation. I play a reptile player on a regular basis and I'm mostly theory fighting when it comes to deceptive.

Imo this variation is totally viable in certain match ups. Obviously against characters like scorpion you should stick to something like noxious but deceptive can be totally viable against certain characters imo.
Well said

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
WHATS COOLER THAN GOING INVISIBLE!
Ice Moves

There are, literally, no cooler moves in the game. :p

Buuuut, in all seriousness... I want to give him a shot but it always feels like I can never get the invis out. And that damn maskless face :(

Last edited: