What's new

Question Why aren't you a top player/what is your skill level with your main?

Kratos: 5
Noob Saibot: 6
Liu Kang: 5

Overall, I need to work on the spacing, nerves, patience, focus, and most of all, adaption.
Back in ye olden days of me playing MK9 almost every day, nerves were of little importance, for I could remain relatively calm in clutch moments.
Focus is might be a bigger issue right now, how can I do good if my focus is a bit on the slow side due to a seemingly constantly tired brain when I play?
Adaption is hella important for metagame play!

Flagg

Noob
Characters I currently use are CSZ, Kano, Lui Kang and Rain.

CSZ is my strongest character, followed by Kano. My Liu Kang is quite average and my Rain is terrible.

Even though I dont use them much, my Ermac and Baraka is pretty good. My Raiden is pretty average as well.

Lately i've been mastering the art of whiff punishing and Kano is especially good at this. If my execution was a lot better I would probably main Skarlet way more, but i find simple things like dashing straight into a neutral jump, on a stick, quite tricky. I over exaggerate some commands, like a simple down back i'll sometimes execute as a half circle, and as a result, negative edge is a problem for me.

What I enjoy the most about CSZ, is I just get in the zone with him and go into all manner of shenanigans. If his teleport was so much better, this character would be better than people realise. Kano is excellent at whiff punishing i've found and playing him lately has really improved my footsie game.

Playing low tier can do wonders for your game as you have to try that bit harder to overcome terrible matches (Kano vs Freddy).

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
CSZ: hard to tell... nobody uses him to compare against :(
Reptile: maybe 5

Reasons: not much offline experience. I have a little, but online is my main arena and I get shitty practice/bad habits/bad timing from it.
u should talk to Guamokun.

the main problem i have with my characters is sometimes i don't always hit confirm when i should and i need to start making more reads than i already do, altho my reflex's with my characters are starting to get pretty damn good. I'm also starting to get much better at conditioning the opponent to make them fall for my mixups :)

the only other thing i really need to learn now is MU specific stuff like punishes and counter strategies and what not since im not familiar the entire roster quite yet.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!

Overall, I need to work on the spacing, nerves, patience, focus, and most of all, adaption.
Back in ye olden days of me playing MK9 almost every day, nerves were of little importance, for I could remain relatively calm in clutch moments.
Focus is might be a bigger issue right now, how can I do good if my focus is a bit on the slow side due to a seemingly constantly tired brain when I play?
focus is definitely important O:

Because i am not able to make it out to big tournaments...if i could attend mote tournaments i would be a top player no doubt.

MLG Anahiem: Top 16
MLG Dallas: 9th

you're the kratos of the world

as for me i'm not a top player because i picked up the game 6 months ago and am still working on getting certain concepts down.

assuming 1 is noob and 10 is REO
Kitana 6.5
Lao 6.5
Freddy 3.5
Kabal 1 (intentional)
kenshi 3
Smoke 3
Cage 3.5
Stryker 5
Sub Zero 4
Scorpion 3
Noob 2
Sheeva 4
kratos 3

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Cant travel to enough tournaments that "matter".

Don't play nearly as much as probably 90% of the people in the community.

Kitana prolly a : 5 I use pretty kick too much, only because I think it's hilarious

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.

Stay free Newb. Speaking of....noob saibot? :)

On topic, I can't give a numeric value to my skill, as it would be subjective to my judgement personally. What I will say is that I'm not a top level player because my mind is too slow when I need it to be fast. The only other thing is not letting go of forward or backward before inputing an AA jab. Lack of tournament attendance/ any semblance of a local scene doesn't help my case much either.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
So here's where I stand:

Freddy: 6.5
Kung Lao: 7.5
Cyrax: 6
Cage: 5.5
Kabal: 4 (my rushdown sucks)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Because i am not able to make it out to big tournaments...if i could attend mote tournaments i would be a top player no doubt.

You are a top player based on those results anyway.

Man I love how cocky KH is, but I love even more how they can actually back it up.

Glass Sword

Nobody
I'm not going to try to downplay myself honestly I have improved much more than I thought possible way quicker than possible. When I started all my skills i have now are non-existent everything from knowledge of the game, execution, spacing, reading, to tournament mindset were worthless I was a complete scrub in every sense. I have grown a lot and the mistakes I make are common ones that many players make from barely whiffing an attack or making a bad read to trying to a combo more complicated than the situation calls for. I also lack knowledge about the specifics of the entire cast I have the basic knowledge down, but not the in depth insight needed to be able to play at the highest level.
I would say my skill level with Smoke is about a 6 if we consider Tommy Wafflez a 9.
Giving a number to ones skill with a character however is asinine however because even if we consider a top player like say REO for example to have a skill level of 10 with Kabal and he pushes the character where is he now an 11? No he is still 10 because it is the max number.
If I were to put my skill into words I would say it is immature since what is holding me back is only one thing experience and that is up to me to get that experience.
Let me list some worded rankings
1- Scurb/hopeless
2-New
3-Basic
4-Studied
5-Intermediate
6-Immature/that awkward time between advanced and intermediate
7-Advanced
8- Seasoned
9-Elite
10- The Best

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Baraka: 6

Pros: Knowledgeable on the character
Really good corner game/setups
Generally decent execution
Good at punishing every teleport(except KL) on reaction

Cons: Too aggressive
Cant bring out knowledge in play
Panic when I get up 1(That is right, dont know what the deal with this is lol)
AAs
And LBSH...plays Baraka

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.

dude this is a down play thread GTFO!!!!!!!

lol on a serious note

Cage : 7
lui kang : 6
jax : 4

i struggle with zoning, mostly because of impatience, but i noticed that with good rest and being relaxed my footsies and general play is really improved over playing late at night tired and being hopped on energy drinks and cigarettes. i struggle with pressure online from shang and other cages, offline not so much. i play more of a footsies game with cage and sometimes forget to pressure and just do f33b3 and react and in certain match ups and back full screen like kenshi. sometimes i fish for d1's to punish and when i play good players they wont d1 because they know they will get blown up so instead i get blown up trying to read it and doing f3 in advance to compensate for lag. i do have confidence that offline my game translate very well i did go to ect4 and have been to vsm, its always like that for me. timing is everything, even when i played halo 3 competitively offline i was way better. i also struggle with cross over punches online i always try to d1 or d3 and neither one of my 3 characters lowers their hit box to do that. all chris g did to beat me at ect4 was cross over combo because i was dumb and tried to d1 him out and dash lol i don't want to seem to sound cocky at what i am about to say but i used to live in queens NY when mk9 first came out, if i never had to move and my xbox broke during the move, i would have been a regular at vsm i would have traveled to events and had early time with the game, instead i moved to Boring ass allentown PA 90 miles from NYC and coulnd't even play mk until christmas 2011 when i go a ps3. man i could only dream of what i would have done had i never moved i mean i am dominican, we have natural mk talent lmao

tl;dr i suck

Espio

Kokomo
I'm just going to be serious, I don't have the skill to be a top player lol. I love the thread premise though.

I play sometimes too conservatively and don't take risks as much as I should, which also happens to be a real life issue too :p. I get antsy and restless sometimes in matches and get sloppy. My footsies, spacing, and reads can always improve, even if I feel confident in them.

Even though I've been playing them for almost two years, I feel skill wise I have a long way to go with Stryker and Jade. I feel there is still a lot for me to learn and improve upon in my playstyle, reads, and strategies with them. I know enough to be solid, but not enough to great.

On a a scale of 1 to 10.

Stryker: 5
Jade: 5

I know others, but I figured I'd just mention my main and co-main :).

Here are some great ways to develop your skill even further.

Problems with repeating the same gimmicks/patterns?

Like for instance, lets say everytime You do a D3, you like to do 2 more of them, then do a D4. Since this works for you 60-70% of the time. You keep using it. It also depends on who you're playing against.

If you're playing against random's who've had no chance to download you, your habits won't change that much because each person that fights you, all your tech/patterns are new to them. They have 1-2 rounds to learn you.

What you need is a steady partner (as well) that's better than you. Someone who adapts to you over time, even if it's slowly. this will eventually force you to mix it up if you get punished for doing D3x2, D4.

Let me go with an example of when I was playing Kung Lao.

The Jax player in my crew, almost NEVER jumps, and he plays super safe. I learned how to condition this behavior with kung lao's overheads, since he's more afraid of my low starter.

I use to only JIP anytime I jumped over someone. The sonya in my crew anti-air D1's me everytime when I met him. And now I condition him with jump kicks.

Fighting good opponents can help you break patterns because they themselves are breaking patterns you make constantly. Making the game evolve as quickly as you try to evolve with it.

If you don't evolve they don't either until you adapt.
This is in conjunciton with having a scene/going to tournaments.
If you don't have consistent good player practice that make you lose. You have no room to learn.

And understand that when you learn new tech/combo. You subconciously want to use it more than you should. So sometimes instead of doing the right move for the situation. you'll try and go for a specific combo/and/or tactic even though your opponent left no evidence of a pattern leading to that tech being useful.

You should record your matches if possible,

rewatch them....

And EVERY single hit you take,
Think about ways outside and inside the box of ways to minimize either damage, or leaving that opening.

ask why did they choose that option? how can I avoid that from happening again?

And every single time you land a hit,
How can I maximize the damage
How did this opening happen?
why didn't they defend it?

blah blah blah.

Once you get all your tools/techs down to a T. The rest is just more and more experience/study. D1 anti-airs don't just come to you. You have to fail alot, then suddenly you'll find yourself landing every single one every single time, and you aren't even thinking about it. You're thinking about what they are gonna do after you combo them off this D1.

once you can get your mind thinking about just you opponent's mind/habits. Then your patterns will start to fade because your adapting constantly.