What's new

Which character(s) were you wrong about?

I'm wrong a lot.

Kung lao. At release I felt he was weak, despite his fantastic tools.

Sub. I thought he was stupid, broken tier OP. MKX is my first fighting game, so his clone utterly wrecked me, because I just didn't understand the game. However,I never asked for a nerf or whined about it, beyond a very very deep sigh, whenever someone picked him. Lol.

Takeda and F/T. I felt like both were very strong.
Yes Sub-Zero can be disconcerting if you are new to his play-style--specifically Grandmaster. I learned to fight against him in the previous installment of MK, though this version of SZ seems quite a bit more deadly given his options.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Yeah, I eventually figured out how to fight the clone, at least to the point that other newbs weren't auto-winning with it.. Then I stopped playing MKX altogether when the pc port and online became just too much hassle, and now I just read the forums and try to find the spark of motivation to come back.

Yeah, I eventually figured out how to fight the clone, at least to the point that other newbs weren't auto-winning with it.. Then I stopped playing MKX altogether when the pc port and online became just too much hassle, and now I just read the forums and try to find the spark of motivation to come back.
Sadly, this is where many of us including myself are. I play maybe once a week.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I was wrong about NRS making steady improvements to their grapplers game by game. Here I was thinking (hoping) Goro and Sun God Kotal and Commando Kano and so on would give Grundy and Bane a run for their money but instead they're complete fucking booty butt cheeks in terms of what it is to be a grappler, comparatively.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I was wrong in thinking Scorpion wasnt severely average post patch and that Liu Kang WAS severely average.

I was wrong about Cage being bad ( as was everyone).

Anyone who still pumps up Scorpion needs to see the light.

Anyone who still pumps up Scorpion needs to see the light.
I would be happy if they revered the changes to 214. It made no sense that they changed that given the fact that they took away the double flame aura and fbc pressure in hellfire.

I was wrong about NRS making steady improvements to their grapplers game by game. Here I was thinking (hoping) Goro and Sun God Kotal and Commando Kano and so on would give Grundy and Bane a run for their money but instead they're complete fucking booty butt cheeks in terms of what it is to be a grappler, comparatively.

ConquaY

I play a bug lady, Bruce Lee and a cowboy.
I thought D'vorah was trash because she has 4 moves; I didn't even bother to check the frame data. All she has was a puddle, a terrible projectile, a really low damage armour move and an air throw. Then I discovered bug cancels and saw her true potential.
I thought Jason was top 10 when he first came out because of the F42 combo into 42%, but then I realized its just a gimmick.
I thought ancestral Kung Jin was going to be my main because I loved green arrow in injustice. Then I found out he keeps his stun arrow for a limited time and it killed the character for me.
I thought Marksman Erron Black was going to be a top tier zoning character, so I played him from day one and learned the hard way that he is in no way a zoning character.
I thought Master of storms Raiden and Hat trick Kung Lao where going to be intense mind games with the opponent and be the most popular variations.
Also I think everyone lost their shit when they saw Takeda on stream and thought he was going to be top 3.
Does it also count to say that I didn't expect run cancels to dominate the game. I thought it was going to be something we only saw at tournaments but all the characters I play rely on run cancels.

I thought D'vorah was trash because she has 4 moves; I didn't even bother to check the frame data. All she has was a puddle, a terrible projectile, a really low damage armour move and an air throw. Then I discovered bug cancels and saw her true potential.
I thought Jason was top 10 when he first came out because of the F42 combo into 42%, but then I realized its just a gimmick.
I thought ancestral Kung Jin was going to be my main because I loved green arrow in injustice. Then I found out he keeps his stun arrow for a limited time and it killed the character for me.
I thought Marksman Erron Black was going to be a top tier zoning character, so I played him from day one and learned the hard way that he is in no way a zoning character.
I thought Master of storms Raiden and Hat trick Kung Lao where going to be intense mind games with the opponent and be the most popular variations.
Also I think everyone lost their shit when they saw Takeda on stream and thought he was going to be top 3.
Does it also count to say that I didn't expect run cancels to dominate the game. I thought it was going to be something we only saw at tournaments but all the characters I play rely on run cancels.
I can relate about the D'Vorah thing. I had no idea Liu could use his fireball cancels to do combos/pressure; just thought it was a mind game.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Thought ferra/torr was good for the first three months of the game although he may have been mid on release every low tier got buffs while his damage got "fixed" and now he's low tier.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I was wrong about Ferra/Torr being one of the best zoners in the game.

I was wrong about Kotal Kahn being good.

I was wrong about Erron Black being top 3...wait, no i'm not, he's broke.

I'm not wrong on saying Shinnok was a shitter when the game first came out either.

Schuyler

Noob
I didn't think kung jin would be that good,
I thought takeda would be broken because of his ridiculous range.
I honestly thought erron black was going to be mid low teir.
I thought that kung lao wouldn't be too good.
I thought kotal kahn would be top 10
But I new for a fact d'vorah
I new cassie would be good.
I think everyone thought jaqui was good in the beginning.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I was wrong about Netcode. I thought he would easily be a Top Tier character. Top 3 unquestionably. Even during one of the Kombat Kast they said Netcode was flawless'ing everyone in the back. I knew I would main Netcode for the entire games life pre-release.

Then the game came out, and Netcode was Bottom 2. Even characters who have been around since the Stone Age are better equipped than Netcode. I was hoping they would buff Netcode to make him viable but clearly they've made it known that he is the last of their priorities.

Hands down Netcode was the biggest shock to me and biggest disappointment. I couldn't have been more wrong about him.

[QUOTE="ConquaY, post: 1854435, member: 41261"

Does it also count to say that I didn't expect run cancels to dominate the game. I thought it was going to be something we only saw at tournaments but all the characters I play rely on run cancels.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I only use characters with run cancels, including Jax with his -6 rocket/run cancel on block