What's new

Where should I go if I wanted to start playing Pokemon at a high level?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Are there any sites that could give me an idea behind the metagame of the Pokemon video games. I've been on a Pokethon lately and have been becoming interested in this.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Thanks for the repies guys, I will be sure to look into both of these, and be sure to hit you up with all my questions Enigma. :p

Enigma

Noob
Thanks for the repies guys, I will be sure to look into both of these, and be sure to hit you up with all my questions Enigma. :p
Well smogon and pokemon showdown work together. Smogon is where you can find articles and pokemon showdown is where you can build and test your teams against people.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Smogon's probably one of the better places to learn Pokemon. Some of us here know some Pokemon, though, also.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Smogon's probably one of the better places to learn Pokemon. Some of us here know some Pokemon, though, also.
I mean I think I have a basic idea of everything, but not a whole lot. I just know that my favorite Pokemon (Alakazam) has been godlike since Gen I (not as much now as he used to be) and he is one of the hardest ones for me to get due to trades lol.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I mean I think I have a basic idea of everything, but not a whole lot. I just know that my favorite Pokemon (Alakazam) has been godlike since Gen I (not as much now as he used to be) and he is one of the hardest ones for me to get due to trades lol.
If you're playing on the pre-DS games, trading is difficult without two Game Boys. After that, though, just find some random guy looking to evolve his own shit.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If you're playing on the pre-DS games, trading is difficult without two Game Boys. After that, though, just find some random guy looking to evolve his own shit.
I gotta get a DS soon. Planned on doing that after TFC lol. I've just been playing on emulators lately lol.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm not sure how I feel about mega Pokemon. I don't hate them, but idk if I like them either.
I like the idea methinks. However, aesthetically to me some of them look pretty whack. Mega Charizard actually being one, but I'm sure he's going to be a badass though. I think I got a glimpse of Mega Mewtwo and that actually looked pretty sick.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I played competitive Pokemon for Gen III and Gen IV, and Smogon was the place to go for strategies, writeups, etc. However, Smogon also assumes that you're using a battle emulator and/or have extensive knowledge of egg move breeding lines, etc. I always used www.psypokes.com for a comprehensive list on when pokemon learn moves, how they learn moves, locations, stats, etc - a lot of which is relevent to competitive CARTRIDGE battling (which Smogon doesn't really cover).

Also, Alakazam was pretty jacked, but he got a lot more 'normalized' in gen 4 when the elemental punches became physical moves. IMO the gen 4 splitting of phys/special moves for each type was one of the best additions to the competitive scene (with innate abilities as a close second).

but yeah, it's important to decide whether you're going emulator (much easier) or cartridge (a lot more work, but good if you want to feel like you actually raised pokemon and accomplished something besides a win/loss ratio). I've done both and they are both enjoyable, but cartridge is a helluva grind.