What's new

Where is the moral outrage over Xbox One`s DRM?

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I know everyone disagrees here, but is Sony proves to not be much better, Nintendo will end up taking the next gen people are just not ready to give up there rights.
Eh probably not in merica....but I have a wiiu and dont get the hate...the kids love it to death as does the wife...

Sent under duress.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Eh probably not in merica....but I have a wiiu and dont get the hate...the kids love it to death as does the wife...

Sent under duress.
It mainly its lack of games that are hurting it, but one thing is for sure if XB1 fails there publishers will jump ship and move to whichever console is selling.

Here is another misconception many keep saying which is truly false. If used sales and piracy is eliminated that now the prices on games can even be reduced, which is false, because they would either rise or stay the same, because people would have no other option, but to buy from them. By all means a digital copy should cost less, but it doesn't unless its on steam

Moral outrage? Get a grip people, no one is forcing you to buy xb1. Just don't buy it and move on with your life.
No, you have to spread information of why you don't like it.

It's how we advance anything in this world. ideas clash and the better ones rise to the top through debate.

Keeping quiet is the WORST thing you could do.

could you imagine if everyone who played MK9 that didn't like P1 advantage, or other aspects of the game didn't speak up and state why they don't like it? no one is forcing you to buy MK9, don't buy it and move on with your life.

Well how are they suppose to learn from their mistakes then?

Public opinion is a good thing for people to share.

It's good to criticize, to keep people in check.

======
On a different note:
Regarding the PS4 and DRM

Dunno if it's been stated yet:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used-Game-DRM-Like-Xbox-One-56264.html

=======

The reason we all need to exercise complaint on MS is because if we don't stand for it will become a standard in the industry. This is how standards get formed.

Standards don't get formed because of lack of complaints. Standards get formed because of success. If drones of people buy the xbox one then it will become the standard. If people in protest speak with their wallets and don't buy it then MS will have to re-evaluate their product. The Call of Duty series post Infinity Ward production is a prime example of this. Plenty of people complain about the game, the lack of dedicated servers, lack of ability to mod and customize, etc. And yet people still buy it every annual cycle, and thus many would argue the repetitive annual CoD cycle has become the standard. And I would argue that there hasn't been a quality CoD since CoD4 before the current standard was developed.

To drive this point home a little more. Complaints are arbitrary, MS can buy good reviews from gamespot, IGN, etc. They can pay employees to troll social media saying positive things about the system. What they can't control is people buying the system.

Saint Op Omen

Standards don't get formed because of lack of complaints. Standards get formed because of success. If drones of people buy the xbox one then it will become the standard. If people in protest speak with their wallets and don't buy it then MS will have to re-evaluate their product. The Call of Duty series post Infinity Ward production is a prime example of this. Plenty of people complain about the game, the lack of dedicated servers, lack of ability to mod and customize, etc. And yet people still buy it every annual cycle, and thus many would argue the repetitive annual CoD cycle has become the standard. And I would argue that there hasn't been a quality CoD since CoD4 before the current standard was developed.

To drive this point home a little more. Complaints are arbitrary, MS can buy good reviews from gamespot, IGN, etc. They can pay employees to troll social media saying positive things about the system. What they can't control is people buying the system.
Yet...comming soon scan your friends into kinect & they will magicaly buy a xbone...:eek:

Sent under duress.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Standards don't get formed because of lack of complaints. Standards get formed because of success.
Agree, but complains rise awareness and when people talk about it and spread the news then more people will get more info to make good decision when buying a console, affecting the success you're talking about.

Yes in the end result it's MONEY and buying it that lets you know you're ok with it.

But if you don't discuss WHY it's bad, and gain popular opinion on it. Many people who aren't well informed will go into it not knowing these things.

I'm not a camera expert, so I might fall for camera companies antics to steal more from me that isn't even required because I'm not as well informed.

the ENTIRE gaming community isn't 100% comprised of internet people. I know like 8 people at work who play games but don't know anything about Xbox one or PS4, didn't even know they were coming out soon.

These people will buy Xbox One, not knowing all the bad things about it until it's too late.

so swaying opinions also results in "people buying the system or not"

so it's a tool that you must use to reach a better result.

Saint Op Omen

I know like 8 people at work who play games but don't know anything about Xbox one or PS4, didn't even know they were coming out soon.

These people will buy Xbox One, not knowing all the bad things about it until it's too late.

so swaying opinions also results in "people buying the system or not"

so it's a tool that you must use to reach a better result.
You set them straight right...
Had to do the same with my sister...

Sent under duress.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
You set them straight right...
Had to do the same with my sister...

Sent under duress.
I have thus far swayed so many away from so many games and the xbox one. People don't like having strings attached and here is the next thing sure some uninformed consumers will buy the system, but many will be returning it for either another system or simply to get there money back once they find out about the policies that govern them. People don't like having strings attached to the things they buy, they want to do what they want with it. See the thing here is that all these jacked up policies can be changed, its not dependant on the hardware of the system, its all software based issues.

T3rror

Noob
I could not connect to my internet for the past two days so I'm definitely against the x1. Before this happened I was against it, but like many if the games was there I could be swayed. Not even considering the x1 anymore. Screw that once every 24hr check-in. Sony already said the ps4 will be offline and that the DRM will be left up to the publisher. I'd much rather have that left up to the publisher, so I can avoid the one's who implement online checks.

Saint Op Omen

I have thus far swayed so many away from so many games and the xbox one. People don't like having strings attached and here is the next thing sure some uninformed consumers will buy the system, but many will be returning it for either another system or simply to get there money back once they find out about the policies that govern them. People don't like having strings attached to the things they buy, they want to do what they want with it. See the thing here is that all these jacked up policies can be changed, its not dependant on the hardware of the system, its all software based issues.
Also while the firm rules and such Xbox laided out was the news...didn't it also say that this will need to be implemented after launch...I don't know what that means but most likely if at launch none of the used game work around stuff and playing with your acct anywhere stuff will be Implemented yet...people will be shocked..

Sent under duress.

Saint Op Omen

I could not connect to my internet for the past two days so I'm definitely against the x1. Before this happened I was against it, but like many if the games was there I could be swayed. Not even considering the x1 anymore. Screw that once every 24hr check-in. Sony already said the ps4 will be offline and that the DRM will be left up to the publisher. I'd much rather have that left up to the publisher, so I can avoid the one's who implement online checks.
Although some people see the "left to pub" remark as a way to say it will have Drm...remember this gen it was left to pubs also...its not hardwired and that's the difference as you said you have the choice to see what the pub does and show suport for who you want...

Sent under duress.

Saint Op Omen

They say NO NEXT GEN, but have the release date in March 2014 wtf
Well expect that to happen for awhile that and both gen releases...current gen still has the biggest install and will for a few years at least..

Sent under duress.

Moral outrage? Get a grip people, no one is forcing you to buy xb1. Just don't buy it and move on with your life.

You have missed the point greatly, and probably already moved on yourself. Many many people are not buying this new console, as you said. But the outrage comes in the fact that most of those people planned to, and wanted to. You don't stop liking video games the moment you disagree with a companies decisions, and we don't know that PS4 won't be the same. There is the PC option, but it has draw backs as well. Because Microsoft/Publishers/Developers/WHOEVER want(s) more money, we are forced into a lose lose situation that is nowhere near necessary for them to make a profit.

Not to mention recently a leak came out that Microsoft has been giving the government all your personal information.

can you really with a clear conscience, hook up your Kinect and not think it's spying on you or that the government can use it to their will? If it must ALWAYS be plugged in?

Saint Op Omen

Not to mention recently a leak came out that Microsoft has been giving the government all your personal information.

can you really with a clear conscience, hook up your Kinect and not think it's spying on you or that the government can use it to their will? If it must ALWAYS be plugged in?

But they said they won't do that....when has a major corp ever lied ...geez you are paranoid...:p

Sent under duress.

But they said they won't do that....when has a major corp ever lied ...geez you are paranoid...:p

Sent under duress.

Yeah, THEY WON'T

did they mention the government?

If you've been paying attention to how microsoft has been trying to "spin" things. you'd notice they play on words to keep themselves not being liars, but at the same time continuing business as usual.

it's not lying, it's misleading by leaving out information.

EDIT: there is obviously no proof that the kinect will always spy on you.

But with that informationa bout microsoft giving away your personal data. It will definitely be in the back of my mind if my kinect is just sitting there.

Saint Op Omen

Yeah, THEY WON'T

did they mention the government?

If you've been paying attention to how microsoft has been trying to "spin" things. you'd notice they play on words to keep themselves not being liars, but at the same time continuing business as usual.

it's not lying, it's misleading by leaving out information.
No way ...not gonna happen they are great...
They are just making games better...cloud power buddy...
(Shhh my kinect is listening...they can't detect sarcasm yet can they?)

Sent under duress.

Sony has said multiple times there is no need to connect to the internet to play. That you can play it offline "oldschool style".

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-08-sony-definitively-rules-out-always-online-for-ps4

The only thing PS4 does (just like the PS3), is that it gives the Publisher the choice to whether they want to region lock their games and whether to enforce DRM (look at final fight (sp?) from capcom).

There are a few DRM games on ps3 but its probably less than 5.

Also XBLA and PSN games won't work with PS4 and XBone is because those games are all intent and purpose are Ps3 and x360 games. They are program as such and in order for them to work they would have to be re-program to work for the xbone.

Sony has always been more consumer friendly. Ps3, PSP and the Vita are not region lock. Ps3 could originally game share up to 5 people until people abused the shit out of that. PS Plus is THE BEST gaming service out their for console.

Sony has always been good to gamers. People fail to see this.

Rumor is that Ubisoft, EA, and Activision started and pushed for the DRM things acording to Giantbomb. Not only that, rumor is that EA tried to do the same with Nintendo and nintendo obviously said "fuck you". Now you can see why there are almost ZERO games made for the Wii-u from EA.

The likely hood of Sony adding intrusive DRM is low, but the chance for some DRM is likely due to the structure of the gaming giants.

edit

Sony will always support indie and niche dev though.

TYT on TYM? Good shit.

I guess if I buy the Xbox 1 I'll have to stop shouting profanities at my television. It could be used as evidence against me if the other player happens to turn up dead IRL

aj1701

Noob
Exactly. If you don't make enough money to constantly pay for an internet connection month to month and live in an area of the world where that connection is always available, you shouldn't be enjoying gaming. You're so right!
There's no right to play video games. They are a nice to have but not a necessity.