What's new

Where is the competitive hype for MKX?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
The game's been out for 4 days. Streams are super popular with new games, that's really the only reason for this.

The Vegas scene will be out for blood this time. Count on it.

I watched the break only because I was watching cd jr's stream and he said he was going to the break. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known they were doing an MK bracket that early.

Kombat Houston..this is the first I've heard that they were doing a mkx tournament with Reo and Brady...I totally would have watched that.

I'm not sure if this has much to do with the numbers, but those streams that have 60 viewers don't show up in the stream column on the right of the home page because only the streams with the most viewers show up there. That is probably why none of us noticed Kombat Houston and The Break.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have been trying to follow streams and tournaments but there is just TOO DAMN MUCH content happening at the same time. People go where the crowds are, it's human nature.

Lack of advertising, knowledge, etc are the reason for low viewer counts. The filthy casuals of MKX (thousands of twitch viewers in max/jwong/pl streams) do not frequent TYM and don't know of these locals/majors happening.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@STORMS anyway you can front page a list of weeklies with viewdates and times. Because by the time we realize am event is occurring its either almost over or the results are posted.

@Pig Of The Hut @MITDJT @GGA HAN @Shock
@anyone else with weeklies.
I help at the Break on tuesdays and am trying to do wednesdays at the warehouse since I'm here late, like at least 6:30 to 10:30 time frame, maybe midnight.

So now that MKX is out, there's been a ton of people streaming, and there's been a ton of interest in the game. Justin, Maximillian, PL, etc are getting thousands of views on twitch at every time of day. Twitter is blowing up with MKX discussions, and TYM is more active than it's been in two years.

At the same time though, there have been a number of early tournaments this week. The Break, GBS, ATL Scraps. But they're being massively overshadowed by people streaming online. GBS saw the return of Detroitballn and all the GGA players, yet I saw less than 200 people watching while PL was getting 3000 in his online stream. SoCal's been streaming with the EGP guys and they're only getting like 20-30 at one time. Tonight, Texas had a local with REO, Tom Brady, and the KH guys that had something like 60 people watching. Does anyone else think this might be a problem? I wasn't around in the first month of MK9, but I don't remember this happening at the beginning of Injustice.

Is it just too early, and people are too caught up in playing to pay tournaments attention? Maybe it's just me, but things just seem weirdly disjointed right now with scenes not getting their players out and not getting people to watch them. Does it just need more promotion? I hope ESL and the first majors give it the spark it needs, but I feel like I'm worried in a way I shouldn't be.
It's definitely strange that people are watching individual players with personalities in the scene over multiple players in person, but it might be because they feel these players are going to show them more useful stuff. We had a tournament promoted for like 6 weeks that ran this weekend, maybe even 2 months, for Marlboro KN Arena, didn't break 140 viewers (I can get 50 people watch me play UMK3 vs CPU at 1AM) that I saw with 3 people hosting us (maybe there were more numbers on those streams that don't show up?), but I heard Rico got like 1000 on his and Jr might have been streaming too (why no Jr or Rico at KN Arena? :( ). We got 350ish at the Break Tuesday even though the hardware was misbehaving and that was almost completely unadvertised because as of a week before I thought Jaxel was still streaming but he was only there because they were leaving on their trip in the early AM.

Last edited:

nugava

Noob
Weren't NLBC and WNF the only two locals with really numerous viewers ? Too bad the new Super Arcade isn't opened yet. I guess the big numbers will come with Majors. And don't forget we watch locals, not only for the game, but also for the commentators. Maybe I won't watch The Break anymore, if you now what I mean... And that has nothing to do with Shock.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I caught the tail end of the Texas stream and it's because I had no idea about it until I read a status update. There is a huge cluster of MKX streams at the moment and its overwhelming. The hype for tournaments can't happen until a couple have passed. That way a narrative can build lol.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Weren't NLBC and WNF the only two locals with really numerous viewers ? Too bad the new Super Arcade isn't opened yet. I guess the big numbers will come with Majors. And don't forget we watch locals, not only for the game, but also for the commentators. Maybe I won't watch The Break anymore, if you now what I mean... And that has nothing to do with Shock.
Missing out on the break is a huge mistake since so many top players attend that local.

So now that MKX is out, there's been a ton of people streaming, and there's been a ton of interest in the game. Justin, Maximillian, PL, etc are getting thousands of views on twitch at every time of day. Twitter is blowing up with MKX discussions, and TYM is more active than it's been in two years.

At the same time though, there have been a number of early tournaments this week. The Break, GBS, ATL Scraps. But they're being massively overshadowed by people streaming online. GBS saw the return of Detroitballn and all the GGA players, yet I saw less than 200 people watching while PL was getting 3000 in his online stream. SoCal's been streaming with the EGP guys and they're only getting like 20-30 at one time. Tonight, Texas had a local with REO, Tom Brady, and the KH guys that had something like 60 people watching. Does anyone else think this might be a problem? I wasn't around in the first month of MK9, but I don't remember this happening at the beginning of Injustice.

Is it just too early, and people are too caught up in playing to pay tournaments attention? Maybe it's just me, but things just seem weirdly disjointed right now with scenes not getting their players out and not getting people to watch them. Does it just need more promotion? I hope ESL and the first majors give it the spark it needs, but I feel like I'm worried in a way I shouldn't be.
There was another post similar to this, but I believe part of the issue is with the way events and streams are currently advertised.

They are now on the side-bar and in my opinion don't draw a lot of attention. Streams are also advertised in the side-bar but now require streams to be approved (which is fine) and the most advertised streams are the streams with the highest viewer count.

I feel that this website did a good job of advertising streams around the MK9 days, but things have changed as this site has been re-designed.

If there was a section on this site where Locals and Majors for the day were advertised and more in your face at the top center of the page, that would be great. If they could also advertise the stream associated with the local or major in the same way, that would also be awesome.

Last edited:

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Well I suppose a little bit of shameless advertising couldn't hurt!

WATCH MY LOCALS EVERY SATURDAY ! SIN CITY SHOWDOWN @PSGLV ON TWITCH!!! WE'VE GOT A LOT OF UNDERRATED PLAYERS THAT WILL MAKE A SPLASH SO PLEASE TUNE IN!!!