What's new

Where is the competitive hype for MKX?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So now that MKX is out, there's been a ton of people streaming, and there's been a ton of interest in the game. Justin, Maximillian, PL, etc are getting thousands of views on twitch at every time of day. Twitter is blowing up with MKX discussions, and TYM is more active than it's been in two years.

At the same time though, there have been a number of early tournaments this week. The Break, GBS, ATL Scraps. But they're being massively overshadowed by people streaming online. GBS saw the return of Detroitballn and all the GGA players, yet I saw less than 200 people watching while PL was getting 3000 in his online stream. SoCal's been streaming with the EGP guys and they're only getting like 20-30 at one time. Tonight, Texas had a local with REO, Tom Brady, and the KH guys that had something like 60 people watching. Does anyone else think this might be a problem? I wasn't around in the first month of MK9, but I don't remember this happening at the beginning of Injustice.

Is it just too early, and people are too caught up in playing to pay tournaments attention? Maybe it's just me, but things just seem weirdly disjointed right now with scenes not getting their players out and not getting people to watch them. Does it just need more promotion? I hope ESL and the first majors give it the spark it needs, but I feel like I'm worried in a way I shouldn't be.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So now that MKX is out, there's been a ton of people streaming, and there's been a ton of interest in the game. Justin, Maximillian, PL, etc are getting thousands of views on twitch at every time of day. Twitter is blowing up with MKX discussions, and TYM is more active than it's been in two years.

At the same time though, there have been a number of early tournaments this week. The Break, GBS, ATL Scraps. But they're being massively overshadowed by people streaming online. GBS saw the return of Detroitballn and all the GGA players, yet I saw less than 200 people watching while PL was getting 3000 in his online stream. SoCal's been streaming with the EGP guys and they're only getting like 20-30 at one time. Tonight, Texas had a local with REO, Tom Brady, and the KH guys that had something like 60 people watching. Does anyone else think this might be a problem? I wasn't around in the first month of MK9, but I don't remember this happening at the beginning of Injustice.

Is it just too early, and people are too caught up in playing to pay tournaments attention? Maybe it's just me, but things just seem weirdly disjointed right now with scenes not getting their players out and not getting people to watch them. Does it just need more promotion? I hope ESL and the first majors give it the spark it needs, but I feel like I'm worried in a way I shouldn't be.
PL has one hell of a fanbase, lol. Plus, these are pretty local events, and I had no idea EGP or Texas did anything until you even said anything.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
PL has one hell of a fanbase, lol. Plus, these are pretty local events, and I had no idea EGP or Texas did anything until you even said anything.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's unexpected that PL's getting tons of viewers or that there's anything wrong with that. Just that all the online streams seem to be massively overshadowing the actual competitive stuff that's already happening, and those streams are being paid no attention at all.

F4tal

Noob
Yeah, I'm not saying it's unexpected that PL's getting tons of viewers or that there's anything wrong with that. Just that all the online streams seem to be massively overshadowing the actual competitive stuff that's already happening, and those streams are being paid no attention at all.
Probably because of the casual fanbase surrounding the launch of the game. KaceyTron, who is primarily a League of Legends streamer, had like 3500 viewers the other day just playing ladder mode lol. I kinda understand why it is like this right now but I don't see the views being massive like they are now in 2-3 months unless the three people you stated earlier stream the game.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i think it has more to do with no exposure right now. i had no idea about the texas tournament, not sure who's fault that is really. i found out by you revolver on tym status section. all those viewers are hyped for MKX watching PL streams and switor and shit is because the game just came out, just like any new release they want to see there favorite personality take a shot at it. they also want to learn from players like Manny, carl and justin. if we can get a mod or staff member where local organizations can promote on here front page something liket these locals, because they are the most important aspect of our community. without locals there are no majors and ESL people trust me. at least that how it was until ESL started doing online cups.

I was wondering this same thing. I didn't even know Brady and Reo were in Texas, but luckily I saw it on a status update and was able to catch the last 5 or so matches.

I think early on they might be overlooked, but maybe later they will become more popular?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I understand that a lot of those streams will get tons of casual viewers, but my point is that there seems to be almost no hype for tournaments and competitive play right now. From the people and places that it should, I mean, like the people here.

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
PL was hosted by j wong a few days ago, that's why his stream blew up.

The competitive scene seems to be getting waay bigger, it's just not the mk guys that are getting the love. It's the capcom guys. Sad, but true

That's cool, I like that no one knows that " TX " does anything until they get mopped up on the game. THTB, you and the rest of the mk society have been put on notice, Tx players are deff out in this game in full force. Once you get beat by us, then lets revisit your words of wisdom right here. Revolver, we're coming dude, stay tuned......

THTB

i think it has more to do with no exposure right now. i had no idea about the texas tournament, not sure who's fault that is really. i found out by you revolver on tym status section. all those viewers are hyped for MKX watching PL streams and switor and shit is because the game just came out, just like any new release they want to see there favorite personality take a shot at it. they also want to learn from players like Manny, carl and justin. if we can get a mod or staff member where local organizations can promote on here front page something liket these locals, because they are the most important aspect of our community. without locals there are no majors and ESL people trust me. at least that how it was until ESL started doing online cups.
We have stressed in the past to tag us in anything related to tournament happenings, but people still don't do so.

THTB

That's cool, I like that no one knows that " TX " does anything until they get mopped up on the game. THTB, you and the rest of the mk society have been put on notice, Tx players are deff out in this game in full force. Once you get beat by us, then lets revisit your words of wisdom right here. Revolver, we're coming dude, stay tuned......
I didn't mean it in any bad way, just I had no idea that there was a stream with Brady and REO going on. It's all news to me that this was going on.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Imo the site could help with that but I had no idea the KH stream was even going on
Agreed, if the scene wants to prosper in terms of getting the word out there about the competitive scene, it needs to get to give the community a heads up. It doesn't even matter if it has REO and Tom out there if it means that literally no one knows about it. No matter how small the tourney is, local or major, it should be given awareness to promote the competitive scene.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The cat will come out of the bag on a major, right now everyone is just hidding training their characters for the first major they step they foot in.

When we get an annouced stream on a major, all eyes will be concentrated there.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Twitch attracts a lot of casual gamers. MKX is no different. I would put money on 95% of Justin Wong, PL and various other streamers that have high view count are casual players that perhaps might want to get into competitive play. Twitch always sky rockets in views whenever a new game comes out.

It does suck to see locals and various other tournaments with low view count.

haketh

Noob

They need more promotion outside of TYM & our small twitters but most importantly thee stream quality needs to be good. The quality of streams for all of those GGA aside we're all total ass. Atlanta Kombat had a ton of sound problems, the Texas one looked like total ass, I didn't even know the Break was going on.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Can I get a link to all these streams? I would love to watch but I have no clue when this shit comes on.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Combination of the following:
-A lot of would-be tournament players are more concerned about learning the game right now than watching tournies
-Hype for specific scenes needs to be built. A lot of newer faces don't even know who some of the old returning players are. Community has a lot of new faces since 2012
-For IGAU things were the same at the start, which is why I made an effort to write about and bring interest to NLBC, WNF etc. I was surprised that there weren't many of us watching. When I first viewed the break, almost no one from TYM even knew it existed.
-There's a lot more going on now than we'd typically have at the start of the game, and that means there's more competiting for attention. Scenes with 2-3 locals, simultaneous locals on different nights competing for attention, etc.

Overall though, people need to stop making assumptions and actually get the word out about their scenes. Just holding a tournament is not enough, and neither is expecting that if certain plays play, there will be tons of viewers. We need to move from an "in crowd" mentality to one where we're letting people know about these things who don't even know that they exist.

The more work people do to promote their streams instead of just going live, the bigger the draws will become over time.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I'll tell you as soon as I can get the fucking game to run. This is the last High Voltage port I spend money on... I knew what I was getting into but I did it anyway.