What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I personally like how you actually had to open your opponent up as opposed to relying on a guess. What I thought was most unique about MK9 was Tag. As broken and stupid as it may have been at times, I can honestly say that aspect had to be the most fun I've ever had playing in any game. EVER. Just the ability to make insane combos and the vast diversity of BnBs, corner combos, and setups. You could literally have 100 different combos all by switching to a different string. Not to mention some of the coolest looking combos out there.

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
I personally like how you actually had to open your opponent up as opposed to relying on a guess. What I thought was most unique about MK9 was Tag. As broken and stupid as it may have been at times, I can honestly say that aspect had to be the most fun I've ever had playing in any game. EVER. Just the ability to make insane combos and the vast diversity of BnBs, corner combos, and setups. You could literally have 100 different combos all by switching to a different string. Not to mention some of the coolest looking combos out there.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I think MKX has the potential to be as great as MK9 or even better but it's safe unreactable 50/50s, stupidly strong jumps, focus on offensive styles over and "lol how cute you think it's your turn, boom, armour"

I won't say fixed but a lot of this can be adjusted in a patch

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The Smash Community supported itself without medals or company provided pot bonuses for years. Were they any less competitive than anyone else in the FGC?

At the end of the day, no one is making a career of the FGC, even NRS pot bonuses are peanuts to the competitive League/Starcraft/etc players. That's where the real money in competitive gaming is, not the FGC.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/leagues/102-mlg-pro-circuit
Banking on fighting games to live is stupid
As it is w dota and league, for now

Idgaf what smash did or is doing,
I'm telling you if you remove the money/Esl/evo this game (MKXL) dies and is the reason mk9 died

If you remove money from NFL the NFL dies
Same goes w anything I guess except smash and like I said idgaf about what smash community is doing. Props to them,Go play smash

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Also real quick, it's funny when people say "your character didn't carry you in MK9", when that's exactly what people claimed in regards to @Pig Of The Hut, @KevoDaMaN All Cyrax players and even REO of all people was constantly said to be carried by Kabal.

Y'alls memory is failing you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't pig still placing with mileena before Kenshi? I know for a fact he was in a top 8 match against CD and was using mileena. And wasn't he still using mileena in some matches when he was already known as THE Kenshi?

I was kevo training partner offline. I can tell you kabal wasn't his only good character. Yes it was his best but he had quite a few characters he was actually really good with and even used in tourney. Didn't he beat dizzy in the cage mirror?

Not sure about Reo but I know he used lao and used mileena before kabal right?

Pig Of The Hut

Also real quick, it's funny when people say "your character didn't carry you in MK9", when that's exactly what people claimed in regards to @Pig Of The Hut, @KevoDaMaN All Cyrax players and even REO of all people was constantly said to be carried by Kabal.

Y'alls memory is failing you.
Everybody is carried by tiers

Except sonic fox

Real talk

Pig Of The Hut

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't pig still placing with mileena before Kenshi? I know for a fact he was in a top 8 match against CD and was using mileena. And wasn't he still using mileena in some matches when he was already known as THE Kenshi?

I was kevo training partner offline. I can tell you kabal wasn't his only good character. Yes it was his best but he had quite a few characters he was actually really good with and even used in tourney. Didn't he beat dizzy in the cage mirror?

Yea I used primarily Mileena evo 2012, Nec, MLG Anaheim

And from here and there depending on some stuff

MK9 had serious issues and everyone on here knows that.
LMFAO Runwaymafia said the same thing to me when we had this same argument as the title of this thread. Look at the scope of each games meta instead of the glitchy imperfections that could be patched up in a day. A 2d fighter is most competitively equal when fundamentals thrive and there is a balanced ratio between offensive/ defensive tactics. There is a striking imbalance in these areas in mkx (even if the game itself plays generally balanced and is glitch free) while mk9 remains most competitvely even (despite the glitchy mess it was).

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
You don't have to take it as shitting on one game if you point out things you like in the other. But a lot of guys seem to be comparing bugs (MK9) to decisions in fighting mechanics (MKX).

Input bug, Cyrax resets, etc. These are more along the lines of bugs or glitches. Things that weren't meant to be part of the fighting mechanics but stayed possibly due to lack of support. Theoretically these aspects could've been removed. And then what do you point to? (you have choices)

Run button isn't a bug, it's intended. Same with far-reaching normals that launch or jail into pressure and are safe. That's why people complain about "footsies."

Unreactable highs/lows aren't a bug. Those highs/lows being combinations of safe/armored/launching moves exacerbate the 50/50's. That's why people complain about guessing.

Then there's aspects like the insane and varying block-stun. Or varying launch heights. Armored launchers everywhere. Obviously the underwhelming anti-airs.
---

Those things aren't bugs, they're gameplay decisions. That's the way I take the discussion. Comparing the gameplay decisions.
BEST POST OF THE ENTIRE THREAD BY FAR.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

I don't think they were carried at all but that was something a lot of people said back when MK9 was played. The fact that all the players claimed to be carried went on tk be successful in Inj, MKX or both just shows how silly the "carried" narrative is.

No one gets carried that isn't already a great player, Alien, Kabal, or w/e character. Unless the character is super broke and bannable like MKT Noob or ST Akuma or something like that.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think MKX has the potential to be as great as MK9 or even better but it's safe unreactable 50/50s, stupidly strong jumps and focus on offensive styles over others to would get in the way of it

I won't say fixed but a lot of this can be adjusted in a patch
50/50 mix ups and overpowered jumping attacks can be fixed, but I think the game will always be predominantly offensive. The run gives mobility to all characters and removes poor movement from the character design equation. Every character closes space with ease so the only question is "what can the character do up close?". The knee-jerk reaction is to improve zoning and defensive abilities, which could result in Mileena-esque characters if not balanced properly.

By the way, the 50/50 mix ups, as Chaos Theory already mentioned, are an intended gameplay mechanic that is profoundly embedded in the game's core gameplay. Some characters' overheads are their primary offensive option, footsies tool, and punishing attack. Changing the hit range from overhead to mid or altering the frame data on an overhead could have deep, unintended consequence that would affect all three variations.

Banking on fighting games to live is stupid
As it is w dota and league, for now

Idgaf what smash did or is doing,
I'm telling you if you remove the money/Esl/evo this game (MKXL) dies and is the reason mk9 died

If you remove money from NFL the NFL dies
Same goes w anything I guess except smash and like I said idgaf about what smash community is doing. Props to them,Go play smash
Everyone really should, it's fucking amazing.

Another smart thing smash did was make a documentary about their community and historical moments which brought in a lot of people. More fighting games should do that.

Pig Of The Hut

You have had top placings in all 3 NRS games so you are definitely a proven player who is not carried by tier.
Appreciate it

I know I am a good player but I'm being honest. Tiers carry every player to a large degree except sonic it seems

If you have a guy in a track contest wearing sandals vs a guy wearing top tier shoes I mean he may place because he's a great runner but his tools are shit

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
Appreciate it

I know I am a good player but I'm being honest. Tiers carry every player to a large degree except sonic it seems

If you have a guy in a track contest wearing sandals vs a guy wearing top tier shoes I mean he may place because he's a great runner but his tools are shit
Hahaha great analogy

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
This video is the epitome of what I'm getting at in this thread.

Tell me you can't feel the hype in the room?

@Bw1zz played out of his mind with a non top 5 character.

Closes thing to this feeling was Sonicfox almost losing to TM and watching Michaelangelo at Evo this year. That was the hypest I've gotten for MKX.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Finally, time to post. Get ready for stuff you should take with a grain of salt! :DOGE

Aaaaaanyway, so yeah, MK9 is a more attractive game on the meta side. To me at least.

Yes, it is more imbalanced. Given how people still haven't given up Marvel 3, how Tekken 7 is looking uninteresting to many people, and how people don't give a flying fuck about one of the most balanced FGs we all could be playing (Virtua Fighter 5 FS), I think it's safe to say we need to throw that argument out the window. Cuz at the end of the day, you noops will still pick top tier if you wanna win and you'll still bitch about XYZ character not being good enough. :cool:

Could the characters in MK9 carry you? At times, for sure. But not always. Kabal was easily above everyone...the problem is that there was still a ton to take into account with him vs other good players and quite a deal of muscle memory just to use him. It was possible to pocket him, but chances are you weren't going to destroy people because it was a lot of effort to still play him effectively. Kenshi could mop some characters hard, but there were a lot that he couldn't, and I wouldn't dare test the waters vs Cyrax/Smoke players like DJT, Maxter, Noobe, Wafflez, Detroit, xSmokex, etc. Cyrax was only going to carry you if he hit you with a net (or you were Shang...RIP), and vs better players, that was easier said than done, as we saw from poor Maxter. You couldn't 2-week cookie cutter for the most part. For MKX, it's generally the same shit in a way. You don't see anyone but like SonicFox picking up whoever and beating people just because the character is good...so I'm not gonna discredit it on that aspect.

The problem isn't that, though. The problem is the way the games play. MK9 was crude as shit, but things like more reliable anti airs, offense not being so overwhelming for the most part (and defense as well), and even the standard mobility options push the game in a more positive light than MKX (for me and others). The game really pushed the neutral situation, very few things were so + that they jailed you repeatedly or locked you down harshly, 50/50s that were difficult to fuzzy and led to good damage on both ends were a rarity, and the dash didn't hinder footsies due to how good walking was itself, as well as how fast block-backdashing was. Not saying that MKX is entirely that way or that footsies don't exist in the game, but a lot of the issues with design choices in the game are things MK9 actually got right on the flip side. The fact that there are characters that are near impossible to anti air. Run + really long normals in a game with no mobility otherwise and weak backwards movement is really off-putting for many. And the offense can be really coin-flip centric or just outright oppressing. And then character-wise, MKX doesn't feel as interesting on a gameplay scale. The cast is designed for a more offensive game for the most part, and the offense isn't very different for any character. MK9's characters all felt very different and fit into different archetypes altogether for the most part.

MK9 has its fair share of problems, some unfixable without a total rebuilding of the game. Input bug, meter drain, player 1 priority, random advantage, bad online. And a lot of this thread is realistically fueled by nostalgia (given my rose tinted glasses come out with MKA, that's not really the case with me). But what MK9 had as a game was actually really good. Better than MKX to me. If put on equal footing, with fixes done to mechanics and online like MKX has alongside that final patch, MK9 IMO would be the definitive MK game.

That's just me, though, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited: