What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
TTT2 is the one I played. Idk what it was like vanilla. But it's the game I focused on after I dropped mk9 and compared to mk9 it's balanced af.
TTT2 on console is the updated version from the arcade. TTT2 vanilla had some silly shit like Hwoarang's unblockable when used in a tag assault combo.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Who is arguing Mortal Kombat 9 is more balanced than Mortal Kombat X? People are only saying the meta is more enjoyable. Besides, Mortal Kombat X has been patched more times. If Mortal Kombat X had not received the last two or three patches, the game's balance would barely be better than Mortal Kombat 9's, if at all.
Pig just said that there is barely any difference between the low tiers in this game and mk9 lol.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Pig just said that there is barely any difference between the low tiers in this game and mk9 lol.
The balance of this game would be mk9 level of imbalance without the patches. Honestly didn't mk9 only really get 2 patches?

I'm sorry it took 7+ patches to make the games 7-3s not 8-2s and make it possibly a 15% chance to place vs a 0% chance w Jade

@General M2Dave

M2Dave

Zoning Master
How do Mortal Kombat X's low tier variations compare to Mortal Kombat 9's low tier characters? Probably a little better but not by much? I am not sure, but I do know Metallic Tremor serves little to no purpose. I presume the variation is supposed to have good zoning in gold stance, but the projectiles have too many recovery frames. Other characters have superior zoning with superior offensive options anyway. I fail to see the point.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
This I definitely disagree with

The block dash was the most clunky looking thing I ever seen .

IMO the run looks much better, if they balanced the run it could work much better in future games or hell even have no run.

The dash cancel system was one of the reasons the game got shat on by how ugly it looked
I always felt MKX did nothing to improve NRS's "clunky" feel. In my opinion, I thought MK9 felt way more fluid than MKX. Not saying you are wrong, it is just interesting how our opinions are polar opposites.

The only time MK9 felt more clunky to me was when trying to play online. That shit would make a Buddhist Monk rage.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
How do Mortal Kombat X's low tier variations compare to Mortal Kombat 9's low tier characters? Probably a little better but not by much? I am not sure, but I do know Metallic Tremor serves little to no purpose. I presume the variation is supposed to have good zoning in gold stance, but the projectiles have too many recovery frames. Other characters have superior zoning with superior offensive options anyway. I fail to see the point.
It's definitely by a large margin. There was no way the low tiers in that game could do it.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I always felt MKX did nothing to improve NRS's "clunky" feel. In my opinion, I thought MK9 felt way more fluid than MKX. Not saying you are wrong, it is just interesting how our opinions are polar opposites.

The only time MK9 felt more clunky to me was when trying to play online. That shit would make a Buddhist Monk rage.
You are talking about feel, he is talking about looks.

Dash blocking feels good, but it looks like hot ass compared to running.

Same with dash jabs.

RIP mentioned it when MKX was in development he was talking to the devs at E3 and they basically told him they removed dash blocking because they hated how it looked and thought it made the game look bad.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
One thing, even if the low tiers in mk9 are worse than mkx, they definitely feel less pointless to me. Like jade sucks but she still has some really cool unique things that make her fun to play. But mkx meta is so much more streamlined and therefore to me the bad variations feel more like they are just worse versions of better variations instead of anything unique.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
You are talking about feel, he is talking about looks.

Dash blocking feels good, but it looks like hot ass compared to running.

Same with dash jabs.

RIP mentioned it when MKX was in development he was talking to the devs at E3 and they basically told him they removed dash blocking because they hated how it looked and thought it made the game look bad.
With better animation and graphics, dash blocking could have been salvaged. The system could have been improved and tweaked to be more visually pleasing. Looks do not mean a damn thing to me when something feels better, so if that was their reason, that is really disappointing. Especially considering MK9 was a hit.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
This brings back a lot of memories. These new kids who came into the scene with injustice or mkx can't even begin to grasp the definition of salt until they've been babied. Nothing comes close to the rage you feel after being babied. There is really nothing in any game I've ever played quite like it.
I thought babies were funny lol. I never really got mad about them. I did them all the time. If you can't even make your opponent block, you deserved it

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I must've played MK9 story mode AT LEAST 5 times, even on max difficulty. That story was perfect.
Only did MKX story once and don't plan on doing it ever again.
Seconded.

MK9 was better because it was the entire almost 20 year spectrum of Kombat summed up, repackaged and next-gen'ified for multiple generations of regular gamers, fighting gamers, and fans of the lore to bask in. Its damning flaws were matched only by how amazing an all around experience it was.

MKX is just another MK title in comparison.
Gorgeous? Yes. Diverse? Incredibly so. Fixed the two biggest previous problems by upping the netcode and avoiding Kabal level broken tiers? Check aaaand check.
But that's it.
There's no pizazz. No hook. No atmosphere. The 50/50 meta and reckless fast pace makes zoning and/or strategy almost obsolete. Literally almost every fight is a race, either to the corner or to beat each other's skulls in in minimal guess rotations. That invalidates damn near half the old MK9 playbook.
None of the dirt has room to breathe or be interesting like stuff like Cyrax's resets or the Rune Trap were. It always ends up coming down to the same mundane guesses.
And the ambience is just...meh. The story jumped the shark in how it made half the OG's of the roster look like shit for the sake of putting over the new kids. Quan fell off a fucking horse. Kotal Kahn gave up like a bitch and was ready to just let Shinnok rule. Ermac and Reptile got the shit kicked out of them for countless chapters, again. It was Armageddon all over again; slivers of brilliance and awesome were lost in a sea of tragic could-have-beens.

I could go on, but now I'm sad.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
In all seriousness though, things I do miss from MK9:
  • The color palette -- both stages and characters were bright, vibrant, colorful, and just looked like MK. The vibe in the Online Play section was amazing and really felt like Shao Khan's dungeon.
  • The feeling -- something about it just felt happier and less serious. This might have to do with the general art direction, but I feel like MK9 perfectly nailed the spirit of those older MKs.
In the same way that Injustice 2 seems a little more colorful than the first version, I'm hoping the next MK brings back that beautiful vibrant color palette with its rainbow spectrum of colors.

There's one stage in MKX that feels this way, and it's -- you guessed it -- the throwback Pit stage adapted from MK9.