What's new

What happened at NEC...

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I agree with you Tim, but it is not a good sign that the game cannot get dedicated stream time. It's not so much that there isn't an audience, it's more so that scheduling conflicts and priority are pushing the game out. What are the options besides a 4g phone? Nothing. That's frustrating.

Flagg

Noob
Before this weekend, have NRS not been there to represent MK in a major tournie?

Yeah, it would have been nice to have seen someone there, but to say they dont care about the game is sour grapes. How many patches have there been? How many hotfixes? How much of the online have they tried to fix as feasibly possible.

Costumes were free. DLC was a reasonable price. To say that NRS and WB only care about money is ludicrous, when you look at Capcom. Releasing UMVC3, in what, less than 6 months after MVC3? Charging you money for characters already on disc. For costumes (shit ones at that). I mean christ, they are even charging for gems in SF X Tekken, a part of that game around 90% of the Capcom community don't want. Perhaps some of you should return to Capcom, who deliberately make broke, barebones games, but know that all they need to do is put Ryu or Phoenix effing Wright in and everyone will flock in droves.

I really do think there will be a UMK9, contrary to various things said by Boon on Twitter, as ambiguous as some of his outbursts are.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
NRS has supported the competitive community....... a lot. A whole lot. I could imagine some of their team cursing or laughing at statements like "NRS doesn't care about the competitive scene". Let's keep things in perspective. Watch blanket statements. Yes they could do more to support the scene.... and we do deserve the right to stream as well, but if we come off as ungrateful for the work they have done with listening to suggestions and patches.....well, think of it this way: Do you think the vast majority of their buyers care if a character has frame tweeks, armor added, etc?

I really don't think they would loose much sleep over deciding whether they've done enough to please us. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't loose a wink.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I agree with you Tim, but it is not a good sign that the game cannot get dedicated stream time. It's not so much that there isn't an audience, it's more so that scheduling conflicts and priority are pushing the game out. What are the options besides a 4g phone? Nothing. That's frustrating.
Its very frustrating. I know. What do you think we did in the years before MK9? Went from being the bastard child to the new kid on the block that made people take notice.

jamessmk

I am your god
We need to call to hotel in advance as ask for dedicated Ethernet connection. It is that simple. Also ask what bandwidth options are avail

Tim Static

Adminerator
We need to call to hotel in advance as ask for dedicated Ethernet connection. It is that simple. Also ask what bandwidth options are avail
This brings up 2 issues with tourneys in general:

1. most dont have the kind of bandwidth needed to support multiple streams and

2. these tourneys need to GTFO of hotels. TO's need to get in touch with [MENTION=1903]GoogleMyName[/MENTION]. he gets it.

jamessmk

I am your god
I used to install the data backbone at a lot of hotel chains, yet unfamiliar with stream requirements. What is the bandwidth min-Mac requirements that would be needed to stream?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
2. these tourneys need to GTFO of hotels.
How do you hold majors outside of a hotel though? That's the problem. People have to sleep and who knows what their vehicle situation may be. Could be in a position where a lot of people may be unable to get transportation to and from the tournaments.

I dunno, it's certainly a conundrum, but I agree with you that hotels do not accommodate streams very well. :\

Tim Static

Adminerator
How do you hold majors outside of a hotel though? That's the problem. People have to sleep and who knows what their vehicle situation may be. Could be in a position where a lot of people may be unable to get transportation to and from the tournaments.

I dunno, it's certainly a conundrum, but I agree with you that hotels do not accommodate streams very well. :\
ball rooms, party houses, arcades (where applicable)...depends on whats around, but obviously you need hotels close by.

Power Up for example. its at a location (Arcade Legacy) thats a drive from the hotels (allbeit a short one) but that, along with Season's Beatings & CEO events down in Florida run by Alex Jebailey know how to get it down this way, and it needs to be the future.

DrDogg

Noob
Didn't read the whole thread... but based on the OP, I think you've got it all wrong.

From a tournament organizer's standpoint, NRS supports their game more than Capcom does. The only time you see any Capcom employees at a tournament is when they're using the event as a Fight Club. The only exception to this is Evo. This strategy hurts the fighting game community as a whole.

At least the NRS staff members go to tournaments. In the short time MK9 has been around (compared to SF4), I'd say the NRS staff has been to more non-fight club events than Capcom staff.

If you think NRS has to dish out money in order to MK to get dedicated stream time or more attention at tournament... or even just to keep the scene alive, you're not thinking correctly. Capcom does not put money toward SF tournaments that are not Evo or Fight Club-like events. This does not stop SF from growing and being the top fighting game in the US.

The problem with MK is that the game does not cater to the competitive fighting game player who is not an MK fan. Notice that a vast majority of the people who are playing MK competitively are only MK players. Rarely do you see any competitive players from SF, Tekken, SC, VF, etc. playing MK. Sure, they're different games, but with a few minor adjustments, MK could pull in a lot of these players. NRS focused too much on the patching characters and not enough on making adjustments to the game engine.

MK9 had a chance to hit it big in the competitive scene. That chance is now gone. MK10 (or I guess UMK9 if it were to happen) will be the next chance. Until then MK9 will be second rate at fighting game tournaments. That's just how it's going to be, and NRS tossing money at tournaments isn't going to change that.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Didn't read the whole thread... but based on the OP, I think you've got it all wrong.

From a tournament organizer's standpoint, NRS supports their game more than Capcom does. The only time you see any Capcom employees at a tournament is when they're using the event as a Fight Club. The only exception to this is Evo. This strategy hurts the fighting game community as a whole.

At least the NRS staff members go to tournaments. In the short time MK9 has been around (compared to SF4), I'd say the NRS staff has been to more non-fight club events than Capcom staff.

If you think NRS has to dish out money in order to MK to get dedicated stream time or more attention at tournament... or even just to keep the scene alive, you're not thinking correctly. Capcom does not put money toward SF tournaments that are not Evo or Fight Club-like events. This does not stop SF from growing and being the top fighting game in the US.

The problem with MK is that the game does not cater to the competitive fighting game player who is not an MK fan. Notice that a vast majority of the people who are playing MK competitively are only MK players. Rarely do you see any competitive players from SF, Tekken, SC, VF, etc. playing MK. Sure, they're different games, but with a few minor adjustments, MK could pull in a lot of these players. NRS focused too much on the patching characters and not enough on making adjustments to the game engine.

MK9 had a chance to hit it big in the competitive scene. That chance is now gone. MK10 (or I guess UMK9 if it were to happen) will be the next chance. Until then MK9 will be second rate at fighting game tournaments. That's just how it's going to be, and NRS tossing money at tournaments isn't going to change that.
Dogg, you bring up a great point. This is just me spouting my own theories and questions but...Why do fighting games have to be similar to attract an audience? Honestly, I don't think people that play Capcom games do not play MK because it's not "Like" street fighter, I think they don't play it because they are too loyal to the Capcom name. Half the people I see bitching about MK in streams and such never even played the game. It is something different, so it sucks.

Games do not have to be cookie cutter clones of each other. MK needs it's own tournaments or at least a better schedule. I understand the rules of bandwidth, but while NEC had slightly less then what everyone expected, there was a ton of great talent there. It sucked to have guys like pig and krayzie fly in and then get no stream time. Thank god for Storms quick thinking because I know being in the kombat network chat and finding out there was no stream really turned people off.

I do no believe this is a NRS problem, I believe this is a tournament organization problem. Stream coverage should be something that is agreed upon with guaranteed assignments long before the tournament starts. At least that way if MK gets the shaft, it gives time to plan alternative instead of on the spot thinking. (Once again thanks Storms)

I hope this never happens again, and if it does I hope the guys who are running MK are prepared with a 4g phone and know how to tether . Mk is always getting screwed over in some way or another, be it prize money, stream time, unorganized pools ext... NRS does have alot to do with this, most of the games at tournaments usually have their brand sponsoring them. I know the NRS guys are very involved with the community and like to chit chat with us on stream, but they should talk to the right people to get some sponsorship for their game at majors. Even 500-1000 on top of entries, would help keep this game alive at major tournaments. It sucks when you win a major and you barley got a little more than your traveling expenses.

EDIT: I just want to give a shout out to Storms for doing what he could to stream the matches. Even though the quality wasn't that good cuz it was streamed from a phone, we still had it up on a big screen and were sitting around eating pizza, drinking beer and cheering for the West Coast players.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I just think...for a show that had so much hype behind it, so many big names under the same roof, and so much potential to change the playing field and put the FG community on notice that NO - we're not just bloodthirsty simpletons, we're a real, legitimate community of legitimate players, with just as much, if not more depth, skill, talent, watchability and potential to give the future of the scene another strong, long-running pillar for its foundation...to get as thoroughly boned as MK did this weekend is a travesty.
I'm not blaming anyone in particular, because I haven't a clue why things went down the way they did, but they did, culminating in having our Finals trolled on all sides and not even being able to get the means for a decent fucking stream for what was supposed to be the K.O. punch-level, make-or-break show of the year. Problematic game or not, NRS presence or not, there's no concievable reason that a game that outsells EVERYONE and has some of the most loyal and dedicated players and fans in ANY fighting game should've had to endure half the crap that went down this weekend. None.

But guess what?
For all the mess, all the hate, all the misfortune, guess fucking what?
We STILL had an amazing tournament, with some of the hypest fights ever had in its short history.
We STILL came together as a community and stayed united throughout the tumult and had some awesome fucking times.
And, though some may falter and some may fade, some may retire and some may take the time off needed to recharge their batteries before they return to battle, I think I speak for those who feel like me and want more than anything to see the light at the end of the tunnel and see MK get the respect it fucking deserves when I say:
WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.
Storms, Phil, Shock, all you guys who saved this show from total disaster deserve a fucking medal.
2 medals.
A bag of medals.
It may have been a dirty day, but much like defeat in battle, it's a lesson learned, and as the saying goes...
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
So shall the MK community become stronger, and empowered to keep the dream alive.

Next time MK comes to Philly, I will be there. And this time, I'll be bringing company.

"There Is No Knowledge That Is Not Power."

DrDogg

Noob
Dogg, you bring up a great point. This is just me spouting my own theories and questions but...Why do fighting games have to be similar to attract an audience? Honestly, I don't think people that play Capcom games do not play MK because it's not "Like" street fighter, I think they don't play it because they are too loyal to the Capcom name. Half the people I see bitching about MK in streams and such never even played the game. It is something different, so it sucks.

Games do not have to be cookie cutter clones of each other. MK needs it's own tournaments or at least a better schedule. I understand the rules of bandwidth, but while NEC had slightly less then what everyone expected, there was a ton of great talent there. It sucked to have guys like pig and krayzie fly in and then get no stream time. Thank god for Storms quick thinking because I know being in the kombat network chat and finding out there was no stream really turned people off.

I do no believe this is a NRS problem, I believe this is a tournament organization problem. Stream coverage should be something that is agreed upon with guaranteed assignments long before the tournament starts. At least that way if MK gets the shaft, it gives time to plan alternative instead of on the spot thinking. (Once again thanks Storms)
We're talking about three different groups of players here, and that needs to be clearly defined:

- You have the casual players, who make up a vast majority of the 3 million MK9 copies that have been sold.
- You have the stream monsters, who are essentially casuals that like to watch high level play.
- You have the competitive players, who travel to tournaments and try to improve their game as much as possible.

Casual players don't matter in this discussion. Stream monsters also don't matter because they'll complain about anything and everything. However, if Justin Wong and other top Capcom players were playing MK like they play Capcom fighters, the stream monsters would want to watch MK more often.

What we're talking about here are the competitive players. The MK scene does not have enough competitive players to keep the scene anywhere near the levels of Capcom fighters. If you want to get up to those levels, you need to appeal to the Capcom players. They don't really care if they're playing a fighter made by Capcom, they just want a fighter they enjoy. Right now, that is not MK9.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I just think...for a show that had so much hype behind it, so many big names under the same roof, and so much potential to change the playing field and put the FG community on notice that NO - we're not just bloodthirsty simpletons, we're a real, legitimate community of legitimate players, with just as much, if not more depth, skill, talent, watchability and potential to give the future of the scene another strong, long-running pillar for its foundation...to get as thoroughly boned as MK did this weekend is a travesty.
I'm not blaming anyone in particular, because I haven't a clue why things went down the way they did, but they did, culminating in having our Finals trolled on all sides and not even being able to get the means for a decent fucking stream for what was supposed to be the K.O. punch-level, make-or-break show of the year. Problematic game or not, NRS presence or not, there's no concievable reason that a game that outsells EVERYONE and has some of the most loyal and dedicated players and fans in ANY fighting game should've had to endure half the crap that went down this weekend. None.

But guess what?
For all the mess, all the hate, all the misfortune, guess fucking what?
We STILL had an amazing tournament, with some of the hypest fights ever had in its short history.
We STILL came together as a community and stayed united throughout the tumult and had some awesome fucking times.
And, though some may falter and some may fade, some may retire and some may take the time off needed to recharge their batteries before they return to battle, I think I speak for those who feel like me and want more than anything to see the light at the end of the tunnel and see MK get the respect it fucking deserves when I say:
WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.
Storms, Phil, Shock, all you guys who saved this show from total disaster deserve a fucking medal.
2 medals.
A bag of medals.
It may have been a dirty day, but much like defeat in battle, it's a lesson learned, and as the saying goes...
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
So shall the MK community become stronger, and empowered to keep the dream alive.

Next time MK comes to Philly, I will be there. And this time, I'll be bringing company.

"There Is No Knowledge That Is Not Power."
The optimism is priceless. We all feel this way.

problem... is that money makes the world go round. Until someone throws some money at an MK tourney, then high level players in other fighters aren't going to cross over and deal with the bugs and intricacies of MK9. Maybe they are waiting to release UMK9 to throw some legitimate tourneys. Who knows.

As long as the community supports the game... something good has to happen eventually? Right?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
The optimism is priceless. We all feel this way.

problem... is that money makes the world go round. Until someone throws some money at an MK tourney, then high level players in other fighters aren't going to cross over and deal with the bugs and intricacies of MK9. Maybe they are waiting to release UMK9 to throw some legitimate tourneys. Who knows.

As long as the community supports the game... something good has to happen eventually? Right?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the UMK9 theory turns out to be true. THAT would at least make it a little less bitter.
And that's why I always try to keep the optimism burning...in the hopes that it keeps the collective heads of MK up so we can all keep faith until the ghosts in the machine are exorcised and our scene finally gets the love it needs to expand and thrive.

Complete fucking pipe dream shot in the dark: my indestructable stepdad is going to be coming into a very comfy amount of $$$ due to a settlement (6 figures at least, hyyyyyped :D ), and there's a +50% chance he'll be seeing that money before the summer, if not sooner...we had a talk about it after I left the show, and after I told him of the troubles MK had just by not having a solid presence there to defend them, how much easier it'd be for them to make a solid case if they could get a high-level show to themselves with the right amount of promotion and funding, and he said he'd be more than willing to help.
On some real-world shit: MK's been an integral part of my life since I was a kid. My unsnuffable passion for the 3D games mainly exists because they came along at a reeeeeally dark time in my world, and having them to sink into and bring me back to surface helped me get my head back on straight at a time i needed to most. Just like my pursuits in 9 and TYM helped give me something to channel all the negativity of the rough roads I've been riding out with my family, parenthood, surviving in the world as it is now, etc., and saw me leave NEC with a clearer head on my shoulders than ive had in many, many moons...hence, why it lit me up so bad to see face-to-face the unjustifiably shitty reception we all recieved.
So while I can't 100% promise anything quite yet, I will 100% promise that if/when everything on this side of the fence goes as we currently believe it's going to, I will be getting in touch with all the necessary parties (as I absolutely do NOT trust myself to try and organize a show -_-), and putting into motion a tournament that will be grand enough, skillfully promoted enough, and fantastically advertised enough to give MK the stage necessary to show the world for good and all that we deserve our seat at the round table.

I'll rent a fucking billboard if I have to. True story.
(His idea, not mine.)