What's new

What happened at NEC...

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Today was probably the single darkest day for MK. The hyped tech that was supposed to be presented today was going to evolve this game and rejuvenate interest world wide. These developments have been talked about for weeks now in massive threads, I don't see how a single representative of NRS/WB did not see these. The fact that the other games had their respective companies endorse and sponsor their streams, while MK, the game which managed to have record sales did not highly offends me.

I'm personally sick of NRS/WB continually not supporting the offline community. I'd like to propose that we write a draft, as a community, to NRS/WB to have them start actually involving themselves in tournaments. In reality, this game is going to die without this, very swiftly at that. AE and UMvC3 aren't perfect games either, but you know what, at least Capcom makes a damn effort to show the offline community that they do indeed care and are grateful for the players who take the time out of their lives to show up and support their games.

We need to stop the bickering, the arguing and the pointless fighting and voice our needs. We're all MK enthusiasts who want to see this game get the attention it deserves. This is what's important. This is a world wide concern. The offline community world wide needs the support of NRS/WB.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The offline, competitive scene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lame casual players, online players & kids who play it for the gore

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
The offline, competitive scene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lame casual players, online players & kids who play it for the gore
the casual players and online players are the ones who build the sales numbers, but the offline scene are the ones who really show the game off and make it look appealing, but it seems that nrs seem to be letting both down, not helping stream or even advertise events mk is at, and having a practically unplayable online, bad times :(

Eternal

Noob
If a representative from NRS did show, how would that help the MK scene grow? What do they do when there?

GNG Iniquity

the casual players and online players are the ones who build the sales numbers, but the offline scene are the ones who really show the game off and make it look appealing, but it seems that nrs seem to be letting both down, not helping stream or even advertise events mk is at, and having a practically unplayable online, bad times :(
You have to look look at it this way. Every time UMvC3/AE is shown on stream, tournament level players present high level play, that high level play in turn sells more copies of the game/sticks/merch/etc while keeping the franchise(s) alive. From a business point of view, it's ingenious, streams are relatively cheap to run and it involves little involvement from Capcom/Sponsors. It's essentially free advertisement.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's not much upside for NRS getting involved in the tournament scene. The tournament players are such a small amount compared to the casuals, especially in regards to MK. It will make tournament players happy, sure. But most MK players don't even know there's MK tournaments to begin with. I mean, they got involved somewhat in EVO, but that's because of how big, well known and publicized EVO is. It sucks that it's like that but you have to also realize there hasn't really been a big MK scene as far as tournaments go until MK9. I'm not trying to defend NRS, just saying I don't see why they would get involved other than personal reasons.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
There's not much upside for NRS getting involved in the tournament scene. The tournament players are such a small amount compared to the casuals, especially in regards to MK. It will make tournament players happy, sure. But most MK players don't even know there's MK tournaments to begin with. I mean, they got involved somewhat in EVO, but that's because of how big, well known and publicized EVO is. It sucks that it's like that but you have to also realize there hasn't really been a big MK scene as far as tournaments go until MK9. I'm not trying to defend NRS, just saying I don't see why they would get involved other than personal reasons.
what annoys me isnt the fact they dont attend much, but they dont even help advertise, not even via twitter which takes seconds :(, their facebook page has 2 million followers roughly, can you imagine the amount of attention it might get if the just post the link to nec singups on that?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
what annoys me isnt the fact they dont attend much, but they dont even help advertise, not even via twitter which takes seconds :(, their facebook page has 2 million followers roughly, can you imagine the amount of attention it might get if the just post the link to nec singups on that?
I know they've actually tweeted the events and streams before, I too don't understand why NEC wasn't given any attention by NRS as far as that goes.

Exactly. If you want NRS's money in the tournament scene, you have to prove to them that it's going to be profitable, and that's a hard sell considering that A) people who follow and participate in fighting games competitively are a relatively small population and B) MK has never appealed to them to begin with.

MKs money lies in the casual market, and it's going to take more than a few sponsorship to change that. And until that changes, NRS and WB was no incentive to throw money at the offline scene.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You have to look look at it this way. Every time UMvC3/AE is shown on stream, tournament level players present high level play, that high level play in turn sells more copies of the game/sticks/merch/etc while keeping the franchise(s) alive. From a business point of view, it's ingenious, streams are relatively cheap to run and it involves little involvement from Capcom/Sponsors. It's essentially free advertisement.
Yeah it's advertisement, but if they're sponsoring the event or stream it's not really free. But regardless, MK9 really doesn't need this extra advertisement like the other fighters do. MK9 always sells amazingly well, especially compared to other fighters. Last time I checked, MK9 outsold MvC3 and SSF4 AE combined! So there's no real incentive in a business perspective. The only incentive is supporting their hardcore competitive fans, which I agree they should definitely do.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
In my eyes they are just complacent with the sales and just plain don't give a shit about the game anymore unless it's about making money.

That right there should not be the attitude of a fighting game developer, where's the fucking passion for this game to succeed not only in sales but just the support for those who bought the game and want to master the game they so "lovingly" made. If i were them i'd be hyping the shit about my game, i'd want for hardcore SF players to play it, i'd want everyone to play it for years to come.

They obviously don't! If i didn't love this game so much, i would of dropped it or just given up, but damn NRS is making it easy for me to don't give a shit about this game.

GNG Iniquity

Yeah it's advertisement, but if they're sponsoring the event or stream it's not really free. But regardless, MK9 really doesn't need this extra advertisement like the other fighters do. MK9 always sells amazingly well, especially compared to other fighters. Last time I checked, MK9 outsold MvC3 and SSF4 AE combined! So there's no real incentive in a business perspective. The only incentive is supporting their hardcore competitive fans, which I agree they should definitely do.
You're right, it's not entirely free, but in retrospect to advertising on times square and using TV ads it's a miniscule expense. But, I do agree that Capcom/Bandai/Hori/Madcatz have more incentive to take part in the offline community to sell their products. I don't know what's happened to PDP at this rate, but I think the general consensus of that product was that it was not received very well, at all. Especially with the cheap parts.

In my eyes they are just complacent with the sales and just plain don't give a shit about the game anymore unless it's about making money.

That right there should not be the attitude of a fighting game developer, where's the fucking passion for this game to succeed not only in sales but just the support for those who bought the game and want to master the game they so "lovingly" made. If i were them i'd be hyping the shit about my game, i'd want for hardcore SF players to play it, i'd want everyone to play it for years to come.

They obviously don't! If i didn't love this game so much, i would of dropped it or just given up, but damn NRS is making it easy for me to don't give a shit about this game.
I hate to say it, but it's been the general US attitude for quite a while now. Activision and EA have been doing this for over a decade now. Blizzard is really the only exception I can think of.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Trust me guys, if i was the millionaire im gonna be in the future, i would be funding the shit out this game at every single damn tournament. :moonwalk:

You're right, it's not entirely free, but in retrospect to advertising on times square and using TV ads it's a miniscule expense. But, I do agree that Capcom/Bandai/Hori/Madcatz have more incentive to take part in the offline community to sell their products.
It might be a minimal expense comparatively but it completely misses the audience that MK sells well in.

GNG Iniquity

It might be a minimal expense comparatively but it completely misses the audience that MK sells well in.
Unfortunately, your assessment is correct. It's unfortunate that NRS is so bullheaded on taking this casual approach, but it's how the company gets their profit. I know we all had hopes that this time it was going to be different, that MK9 was going to be an actual competitive well designed game, but perhaps it's just time for us all to realize the facts. I don't think the game is an utter failure in regards to my expectations, but it's still quite a disappointment over all. I certainly don't feel any incentive to fly around the country in an attempt to support it, I know that much.

In retrospect, what bothers me the most is, is that we have a pretty friendly community over all. There's a good deal of intelligent players out there with loads of potential, but outside of a few specific regions where there's already a developed following, the incentive to explore this game and compete is dwindling at an ever exceeding rate. Ultimately, I don't know what can be done about that anymore, it's just the reality of it.

In retrospect, what bothers me the most is, is that we have a pretty friendly community over all. There's a good deal of intelligent players out there with loads of potential, but outside of a few specific regions where there's already a developed following, the incentive to explore this game and compete is dwindling at an ever exceeding rate. Ultimately, I don't know what can be done about that anymore, it's just the reality of it.
That's just a byproduct of the way American's consume games. You play one until the next big title comes out and then move on. Outside of a few established franchises, games have extremely short lifespans.

McNasty

Moist.
one thing to consider is that Big E and company have to network to get these sponsors at their events. It very well could be that they were unable to contact NRS. Also the fact that NRS hasnt sponsored any MK tournament and companies like aksys are constantly sponsoring events and even flying players from outside the country. Its a bummer but maybe this will spark the fire under NRS to get some of that WB $$$ and put it back into the community.

GNG Iniquity

That's just a byproduct of the way American's consume games. You play one until the next big title comes out and then move on. Outside of a few established franchises, games have extremely short lifespans.
Sad but true. I don't think I'll be purchasing MK10 at this rate.

Sad but true. I don't think I'll be purchasing MK10 at this rate.
Really? Say what you will about NRS and WB, but the community is there. They're streaming matches from a phone. That's how dedicated they are. It's just not a very big community yet.

It sucks that our stream time was taken away, but the end result just shows how much this community cares about the game.

GNG Iniquity

Really? Say what you will about NRS and WB, but the community is there. They're streaming matches from a phone. That's how dedicated they are.

It sucks that our Stream time was taken away, but the end result just shows how much this community cares about the game.
That's true, you make a good point there. I'm not saying the community isn't involved, because they certainly are, I guess I had just hoped that NRS would've matured along with me as well. In some regards, they have, but the true dedication to their franchise is still lacking.

RagingNight said:
you must of missed the whole M2Dave vs Europe comments in the tier thread
"We need to stop the bickering, the arguing and the pointless fighting and voice our needs. We're all MK enthusiasts who want to see this game get the attention it deserves. This is what's important."

Tim Static said:
While i agree 250%, NRS did sponsor the PDP tourney. -_-
I think that partnership was just a bit of a poor decision by NRS. Pelican's never made quality peripherals but neither had Madcatz for the longest time. I'm curious who approached who first in the Madcatz/Capcom partnership.

Tim Static

Adminerator
one thing to consider is that Big E and company have to network to get these sponsors at their events. It very well could be that they were unable to contact NRS. Also the fact that NRS hasnt sponsored any MK tournament and companies like aksys are constantly sponsoring events and even flying players from outside the country. Its a bummer but maybe this will spark the fire under NRS to get some of that WB $$$ and put it back into the community.
While i agree 250%, NRS did sponsor the PDP tourney. -_-

McNasty

Moist.
Ahh I was under the impression that it was all PDP themselves. I stand corrected. I hope they take what they did there and move it all across the country in the tourney season.

Reedoms

Noob
So for someone who didn't watch NEC, what exactly happened to start this uproar of saying NRS needs to pay more attention and we need to stop bickering.