What's new

What game mode you will use first?

REYTHEGREAT

Once you get your hands on mk9, what mode you will try? I will use the story mode to see if I can discover and the practice to get a feel of the characters. After some weeks, I will hop online and own :)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Without even knowing what it has right now... definitely practice mode, then story mode if I have to unlock characters. :(

Ermac, Kabal, Raiden, Reptile and Sindel will be my first picks.

Go to Arcade mode, pick Reptile, and go nuts. Story mode and everything else can wait until after I've at least endured that classic MK ladder!

DrDogg

Noob
Practice mode for at least a few hours. I may hop online here and there to test my findings and feel out the characters I'm practicing, but practice mode will be where a bulk of my playing will happen for the first few days.

Once I'm comfortable with the character(s) of my choice, if I can't find anyone offline to play with, I'll hop online and see how bad the lag is. If online play just won't cut it then I'll stay in practice mode until some offline competition appears.

I really, really, really hop I'm not forced to play single player just to unlock things. I don't mind there being unlockable content (hopefully not characters), but make it so that I can play online and/or VS. mode to unlock it. Better yet, it should unlock after a certain amount of play time. I really dislike being forced to play single player modes just to unlock things.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I always go on Training Mode first for new games.

I really, really, really hop I'm not forced to play single player just to unlock things. I don't mind there being unlockable content (hopefully not characters), but make it so that I can play online and/or VS. mode to unlock it. Better yet, it should unlock after a certain amount of play time. I really dislike being forced to play single player modes just to unlock things.
Sadly, I would bet on such things. Unlocking crap is the kind of things that the casual market loves for whatever reason, and it's what they feel gives them more "replay value" for their purchase, even as much as those of us on the other side of the aisle dislike such things.

I dunno why developers continue to do so though. There's got to be other ways of keeping the mass market happy beyond just doing more that make things a needless hassle in today's day and age of not being able to share game saves on memory cards. After all, the majority of the mass market will likely just trade the game in some 3-12 months later after they get bored/exhaust the game of its Achievements/Trophies. Why not plan ahead for those of us who stand to be sticking with the game after the fact...?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
King of the hill Storms is classic arcade set up like UMK3, DOA, SF and SF 4 where anywhere from 4-12 players depending on the game. UMK3 on xbox live has up to 4 people in one room where people take turns trying to be the king of the hill, taking turns trying to beat whoever the winner is. Winner stays, loser pays..

Well, online it's winner stays, loser waits in line but no pay lol.

DOA has up to 12 I think if I'm not mistaken online

SFHD has up to 6, SSF4 I don't know... SC 4 I don't know...

MK9 will have up to 8 people

First think I'll go into Arcade mode, put it on hard...probably do okish then hop into training mode and back , learn the ropes that I can't figure out on my own then kick the CP's ass on hard/max whatever, then go online...

I do hope though there's an up to 4 player mode 2 vs 2 offline mode :) I'll also check this too.

I'll also have to find a way to play storymode while rotating with online, arcade and training lol...

It's going to be MK D all over again, not knowing what to try first lol

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
OPTIONS, then TRAINING MODE with Sub-Zero first...this is standard!

After that, it's challenge mode time for combos if that is available. Then if there are unlockable characters from playing single player, I will do that then go online or find offline comp.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
take sindel into practice for about 15 mins. then go online. pretty much what I do for all games.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Head to practice mode with Reptile (unless he's locked), do character unlocking, then if online is good, play with whoever from here for a bit.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I think I'll be too anxious NOT to go online and see how things look... at least at first. This game is TOO HYPE!! lmao :moonwalk:

I'm taking off for three days when this thing drops. ;)

DrDogg

Noob
King of the hill Storms is classic arcade set up like UMK3, DOA, SF and SF 4 where anywhere from 4-12 players depending on the game. UMK3 on xbox live has up to 4 people in one room where people take turns trying to be the king of the hill, taking turns trying to beat whoever the winner is. Winner stays, loser pays..

Well, online it's winner stays, loser waits in line but no pay lol.

DOA has up to 12 I think if I'm not mistaken online

SFHD has up to 6, SSF4 I don't know... SC 4 I don't know...

MK9 will have up to 8 people

First think I'll go into Arcade mode, put it on hard...probably do okish then hop into training mode and back , learn the ropes that I can't figure out on my own then kick the CP's ass on hard/max whatever, then go online...

I do hope though there's an up to 4 player mode 2 vs 2 offline mode :) I'll also check this too.

I'll also have to find a way to play storymode while rotating with online, arcade and training lol...

It's going to be MK D all over again, not knowing what to try first lol
DOAU had lobbies for 8 players, DOA4 had up to 16.

If MK9 has lobbies, that will be good (I think the devs mentioned this already). I would rather see a 4-person lobby though, with maybe 4 optional spectator only slots. When you get more than 4 people in a room, the wait is pretty long.

SZSR

Noob
I'll first do vs mode with my brother him being Scorpion and i'll be Sub-Zero, then we'll do the freeze blast and spear at the same time to kick off the game, then to look at trophies, and then switch to options for making it hard mode... That's gonna suck but i'll learn how to play the hard way. And then whatever we feel like doing afterwards.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Training Mode all day every day!

If there are Combo Trials I'll probably do those first to help get an idea for the combo system.

DrDogg

Noob
first i will try to find the character that best work with my style this will take me a few days
This would be my ideal first task, but that's the one thing I currently dislike about MK9. It doesn't seem to have a wide variety of play styles, or at least offer a character that fits my play style well. I usually like to use characters that have multiple stances and very elaborate move lists (Ling in Tekken, Lei Fei in Virtua Fighter). If I can't find a character like that, or I don't like that character (Lei in Tekken), I try to find a character that has a pressure game based on quick pokes with a focus on maintaining frame advantage as often as possible (Ling/Feng in Tekken).

Right now, I don't think any characters in MK9 have multiple stances. It's a bit early to determine if any characters have really good poke games, especially without frame data. I also like to play turtle style in some cases, but with teleports, full screen moves and block damage, I don't know how viable that will be.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
DOAU had lobbies for 8 players, DOA4 had up to 16.

If MK9 has lobbies, that will be good (I think the devs mentioned this already). I would rather see a 4-person lobby though, with maybe 4 optional spectator only slots. When you get more than 4 people in a room, the wait is pretty long.
You mean lobbies like UMK3 and SFHD where you can see? :)

Oh thanks lol, damn 16? I knew it was a least 12 lol, that's far too many IMO....you'll be waiting forever lol thanks for clearing that up.

If Shao Kahn is available from the get-go -- training.

If he's an unlockable -- the mode he unlocks in with most easily spammable character (on Easy difficulty if possible).

We do not condone or promote piracy on this site. Please do not talk about or refer to it. Thanks.

B W1zZ

Noob
First thing I will do is check the game options, then go to training mode with Raiden to learn him religiously and complete his combo challenges. I'll probably run through arcade mode, go back for more intense torturous training, then go online.