What's new

What could "fix" MKX to you?

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
-Jade... NOT Poser Kitana
-All regular strings to come out on block so I can have my dumb overhead mixup too.
-Fix the netcode (seriously... don't care if people think it can't be done)
-Give Liu Kang EX parry on startup to catch all types of moves including airborne and Lao's EX reversals
-Block breakers to only cost a 1 bar and a half
-Fix weird inconsistencies with hitboxes in certain situations either due to stance, breathing hurboxes, 3D collision or whatever.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea I fail to see how using viable block breakers after + on block 50/50 attempts would "benefit" 50/50 attempts, even moreso the + on block ones lol. You are literally removing a 2nd guessing attempt and resetting the neutral. I'll take that any day over "if I don't guess this correctly I'm dead this time".

Saying better block breakers enhance 50/50's makes no sense. In Injustice having block breakers could be life or death facing Batgirl/Frost/Sinestro. Imagine if Inj had no block breaker or MKX block breaker. Better block breakers can only benefit defending both 50/50's and high pressure. Don't see how that isn't obvious.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Oh right, don't see how I didn't think of that lol. But still, he didn't just spend the bar to become safe, he spent it to potentially get another 50/50, so block breaking guarantees that you will not have to guess again into a 30-40% combo or at least a grab. This is obviously a good use of the block breaker that a good player would wisely take advantage of. You wouldn't always do it, but in many situations it would be a good idea, especially at the end of a game where you don't want to leave whether you win or lose up to chance. So yeah, the Quan Chi player isn't wasting a bar because he's still safe, but he at least won't get anything extra out of the spent bar. Also, if the Quan player knows this at the end of the game, he might decide to go for a grab instead for a guaranteed win, but now the opponent has more information to use to make a read that he'll grab, and then neutral duck for a full combo punish which would potentially lead to a comeback.
I know, I understand what he loses, but what he gains would more than compensate for this. This is why you would not see quan chi mains up in arms about this change being made, they would really love it.

It would be ideal if NRS allowed us to change the requirements of these things in settings so that people could play this stuff out to see how it looks in tournament. eg. options to
  • change meter and/or stamina requirements for block breaker
  • change stamina requirements for backdash
Really shouldn't be difficult for them to do and would be a huge help, although knowing TYM it would probably turn into more arguments.

I know, I understand what he loses, but what he gains would more than compensate for this. This is why you would not see quan chi mains up in arms about this change being made, they would really love it.

It would be ideal if NRS allowed us to change the requirements of these things in settings so that people could play this stuff out to see how it looks in tournament. eg. options to
  • change meter and/or stamina requirements for block breaker
  • change stamina requirements for backdash
Really shouldn't be difficult for them to do and would be a huge help, although knowing TYM it would probably turn into more arguments.
Even if it did buff Summoner Quan, that just proves that he'll need to be nerfed even more than he already needs to be, not that we shouldn't get 1 bar block breakers. The amount of good they would do for the game in general would be crazy.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Even if it did buff Summoner Quan, that just proves that he'll need to be nerfed even more than he already needs to be, not that we shouldn't get 1 bar block breakers. The amount of good they would do for the game in general would be crazy.
I disagree. 1 bar block breakers completely fucks kung lao, liu kang and any other pressure character and any grappler too.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
It's not your fault, it's predator's "move for everything"
You maybe will not believe me but this bunny tactic start with me playing Predator against his Kotal Kahn, didn't work too well when I played Tanya :(.

Last edited:
I disagree. 1 bar block breakers completely fucks kung lao, liu kang and any other pressure character and any grappler too.
Not at all, they just go down a tier and become balanced. Their strength no longer becomes enforcing a fun killing practically unwinnable guessing game in the corner, but it now becomes forcing their opponent to conserve a bar of meter at all times. Since they don't gain meter on block, if they get caught without a bar they are forced to deal with the ridiculous pressure, which is fair because they didn't conserve their meter properly. Not to mention the fact that if block breakers still cost stamina despite being a bar, even if they block break they are still left at a considerable disadvantage with no ability to back dash, run, or break again. Now they have one less bar to break again while their stamina recovers.

Top tier pressure characters will not become the new bottom tier lol, especially since they get block breakers as well which inherently buffs them along with everyone else. That's an extreme conclusion to draw for arguably the best character in the game and a character who has a block infinite on Kenshi and some other characters. Besides, even if it did nerf them into unviability, they would just need to be buffed again. The game is not ideal with these guessing game pressure characters, and 1 bar block breakers are the only thing that could feasibly be done about their bull shit.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
What is push block?
A mechanic featured in Injustice and other fighting games that consist in repelling an opponent attack while blocking it, so he gets push some meters (game meters) back and his pressure is stopped (this isn't a book definition but gives you the idea).

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Recently I've been thinking a lot about MKX and fighting games etc.

I've came to terms that MKX and MK9 are different games completely and I just have to deal with it and adjust. I didn't want to, but I will. I have to. If I was okay with Cyrax literally doing 70% combos (see DJT in tourney kill Wound ine one awesome combo) then I'm okay with hard-to-blockables. I'm okay with 50/50's. If I'm okay with Kabal being in the game then I'm alright with Dragons Fire Kang or A-list Johnny or Tempest Lao. If they get nerfed fine, I'll learn to adjust. I'm okay with MKX completely now, I have just accepted the nature of NRS games the same way a MvC3 player accepts the nature of their game. This is MKX, and I will live and die by the mixups... (and educated guesses).

In other words, this whole time I've had to learn to just shut up, get into training mode, git gud and level up where I can. I'm REALLY beginning my MKX path now. I suggest anyone complaining does the same, or go find another game. SFV could be promising if you're into that.
yeah, im a bit the opposite, i've already decided that if the characters i've settled on get specific nerfs im droping the game, not gonna bother adjusting, ill just go to sfv and wait till injustice 2. That being said, i really hope that doesnt happen because i really like mkx. Honestly i wish they'd fix the netcode, buff the lower tiers and tweak one or 2 top tier characters damage or hitbox's.

A great defensive mechanic that apparently if implemented properly in MKX would destroy all offense in the entire game.
What our salt warden is forgetting is that block breakers will still cost a bar and possibly stamina, not be free. This means a lot of things, like the fact that if you know you have to save a bar to break Kung Lao's broken pressure, you will not be using your character's metered tools much at all, so now Lao no longer has to respect them because he knows it would be dumb for them to use them. And even if the player manages to conserve at least a bar the majority of the game, if they get caught in the pressure and have to break, they now have to make the right play at a stamina disadvantage or else they'll get caught right back in it with no option to get out but guessing this time. LOL Lao still has fucking 40% combos for a bar anywhere on screen, 30% off a reversal or anti-air, not to mention one of the best JIPs in the game, one of the fastest running speeds, a dive kick with no whiff recovery, and one of the best armored launchers in the game. He's pretty good even without his BS pressure.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What our salt warden is forgetting is that block breakers will still cost a bar and possibly stamina, not be free. This means a lot of things, like the fact that if you know you have to save a bar to break Kung Lao's broken pressure, you will not be using your character's metered tools much at all, so now Lao no longer has to respect them because he knows it would be dumb for them to use them.
Or that if you use a block breaker but are hit first after you most often will not have enough stamina/meter to break a combo which in this game can be near half life and in a final round can be the match.

Or that if you use a block breaker but are hit first after you most often will not have enough stamina/meter to break a combo which in this game can be near half life and in a final round can be the match.
Right, I edited my post to include that fact and some other stuff I forgot to include. Tortoise clearly has not thought about what this change would cause to make such a conclusion. No offense to him of course.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
i'll just throw this out there even though i'll get every kung lao/kung jin player down my throat. Jointed hurtboxes.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
What our salt warden is forgetting is that block breakers will still cost a bar and possibly stamina, not be free. This means a lot of things, like the fact that if you know you have to save a bar to break Kung Lao's broken pressure, you will not be using your character's metered tools much at all, so now Lao no longer has to respect them because he knows it would be dumb for them to use them. And even if the player manages to conserve at least a bar the majority of the game, if they get caught in the pressure and have to break, they now have to make the right play at a stamina disadvantage or else they'll get caught right back in it with no option to get out but guessing this time. LOL Lao still has fucking 40% combos for a bar anywhere on screen, 30% off a reversal or anti-air. He's pretty good even without his BS pressure.
I'm not forgetting that, but if this conversation is going to turn into condescension then I'm out. Continue to whine instead of levelling up and enjoy your day.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Right, I edited my post to include that fact and some other stuff I forgot to include. Tortoise clearly has not thought about what this change would cause to make such a conclusion. No offense to him of course.
To be fair it's not just him though. I've heard the argument plenty of times that pressure characters would suffer, mix up characters would suffer, or both.

Well yea if you're fighting in practice mode with unlimited stamina and meter it will be crippling, but in a real match it would have to be used wisely. Actually even more wisely than Injustice because in MKX you have on only 3 bars of meter, a stamina bar, and more necessity to use your bars like armor'd WU's, gap interrupts, 2 bar combo breakers, etc.

In a typical match you can have say a bar and a half of meter at any given time on average. So you're getting pressured and block break to reset the neutral. Well now you only have half a bar of meter and half of your stamina. What do you do then? You can't combo break if hit. You don't have enough meter for an EX combo if you land a hit and if you play a run cancel character it's even more critical losing the stamina so how will you do damage if you block break excessively. If you block an attack you're right under the same pressure but forced to hold it and still can't break if you get opened up because you just used it. Etc.

Some dudes make it sound like a viable block breaker will mean people just block break at will when in real matches it won't play out like that at all. Block breaks wouldn't be any less situational/strategic than combo breakers are, and would be used less than they were in Injustice (where they worked amazingly) due to MKX's meta. It would be a welcome change to having to rely on only combo breaks.

I'm not forgetting that, but if this conversation is going to turn into condescension then I'm out. Continue to whine instead of levelling up and enjoy your day.
Not condescension, I was making a joke. If you read my most recent posts you should know that 1 bar block breakers would not make pressure characters unviable. It's not about me getting better, it's about making the game better. I like the game a ton as it is, but 1 bar block breakers would make it SO much better as I've demonstrated.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
1 meter/1 stamina bar block breakers reminds me of the final patch in Injustice. Game was good before the final patch, but near godlike after the system wide gameplay changes. I think it would have that level of effect and get much less criticism about defensive options.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Indeed, so why don't just spend that bar on armored launcher? :p

Sorry OP, but the online is shit. There I said it. Had to. I simply had to. LOL. Seriously other than that, I think MKX is a fun game. Variety of characters and move sets. Fast paced. We could probably stand to remove the stamina bar requirement for backdash. Oh, probably would have to remove the invincibility as well. I mean, the shit is nice offline, and online if you got a good connection.