What's new

Question What characters do you believe have a variation with no bad match ups?

Pretty much the title.

What characters do you guys think 5 - 5 minimum, the whole cast? The characters that i cant see getting
6 - 4'd by anyone are:

- Mileena (Piercing)
- Kung Jin (Shaolin)
- Alien (Acidic)
- Dvorah (Swarm Queen) This one is more of a question, so far i haven't really seen a MU that i can say Swarm Queen gets 6/4'd in, however i could be, and probably am wrong. Thoughts

Tempest Lao(?) Im not sure after all the nerfs he's gotten. Im pretty sure this doesn't apply to him anymore.
Do you guys agree with mine ? If not, why ? And who else that i didn't mention?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I really want to know if Shaolin has a bad MU as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't Acidic get outzoned by Fullscreen Zoning?

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Shao-lin struggles are few and far between now that Kobu Tanya is out of the game.
EX Flip kick is just fast enough of an armor move for us, and being safe is dope.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Imo shaolin loses to impostor shinnok at least 4.5-5.5. Probably about that against piercing mileena as well.

All others are probably no worse than 5-5

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I think a-list might have shaolin slightly. 5.5-4.5. I'm not trying to start a-list beef so please don't derail the thread in your responses...

Non delayed shaolin drop gives a-list his f3 pressure...

Delayed shaolin drop and raw upkick w/o drop can be OS'd by ex nut punch...

Shaolin's safe armor can be broken with 11 and a-list does 11 all the time...

A-list beats shaolin in full screen zoning because shaolin can't low profile and the arc of forceball makes it difficult to upkick and divekick...

Not complaining about a-list or downplaying shaolin but as a shaolin main I think a-list counters his strengths.

Tweedy

Noob
If Shaolin loses to Piercing then all hope is lost. On paper that should be one of her hardest match ups.

Edit: I think Shaolin probably struggles vs Liu Kang and maybe Jax? idk

Edit 2: Jester's post also makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I think a-list might have shaolin slightly. 5.5-4.5. I'm not trying to start a-list beef so please don't derail the thread in your responses...

Non delayed shaolin drop gives a-list his f3 pressure...

Delayed shaolin drop and raw upkick w/o drop can be OS'd by ex nut punch...

Shaolin's safe armor can be broken with 11 and a-list does 11 all the time...

A-list beats shaolin in full screen zoning because shaolin can't low profile and the arc of forceball makes it difficult to upkick and divekick...

Not complaining about a-list or downplaying shaolin but as a shaolin main I think a-list counters his strengths.
That was a good explanation

Tweedy

Noob
Tempest Lao probably loses 6-4 to almost 10 characters right now. It's not saying much to say he's one of the worst characters in the game, because he's still like A tier, maybe even A+, but yeah. Saying he has no losing MUs, would be like saying that Mileena has no winning match ups.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
In Shaolin, KJ probably has a few 4.5s, but nothing he can't manage anymore. The variation is undeniably his strongest now.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Question: you said character, did you mean variation?
This. Several characters can handle the entire cast through the variation system.

Also, is A-List vs GM Sub really bad enough to warrant a 4-6? Otherwise I'd be inclined to put him on that list, and if its characters, SD covers that matchup anyways.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
There is no such thing as 5.5 / 4.5 in matchups. If it is advantage it is 6-4, if it is not, it is 5-5. You don't win half a game.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND PEOPLE!!!
Yes there is. In a set of 100, you'd win 55 and lose 45. Carry the zero.

0.5 changes in MUs have always been around. It signifies a part of the match-up that usually cannot come into play barring a situation the opponent willingly puts themselves in.
For example, Bane on Player 1 side would stagger out of Superman's MB flying punch. That would signify a 0.5 shift in MU because its not something that can be utilized by a player unless the Superman player happens to do it on their own. It won't affect the number otherwise, but it is prevalent enough to affect some option of the opponent, albeit indirectly.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Yes there is. In a set of 100, you'd win 55 and lose 45. Carry the zero.

0.5 changes in MUs have always been around. It signifies a part of the match-up that usually cannot come into play barring a situation the opponent willingly puts themselves in.
For example, Bane on Player 1 side would stagger out of Superman's MB flying punch. That would signify a 0.5 shift in MU because its not something that can be utilized by a player unless the Superman player happens to do it on their own. It won't affect the number otherwise, but it is prevalent enough to affect some option of the opponent, albeit indirectly.
No. It's which character wins most out of 10 matches. So no .5

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
If Shaolin loses to Piercing then all hope is lost. On paper that should be one of her hardest match ups.

Edit: I think Shaolin probably struggles vs Liu Kang and maybe Jax? idk
Just like I think a-list counters shaolin... I think shaolin counters Mileena.

Low projectile protects against roll and telekick-sai can be punished with d1 divekick if you neutral duck sai.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I wish I was good enough at the game to comment on this, but I could kinda maybe see demo sonya beating piercing mileena?
Not much actual analysis behind that though.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Just like I think a-list counters shaolin... I think shaolin counters Mileena.

Low projectile protects against roll and telekick-sai can be punished with d1 divekick if you neutral duck sai.
If there was a MU that Mileena loses it would be Shaolin.

I havent played it enough to say definitively though.

What about a draw?
Doesn't exist. You keep playing until someone wins the game.