What's new

"Was It Good For You?" Mileena Tutorial Video Series

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Hey Guys! ^_^
I've been working on some Mileena tutorials because 1) I'm sick of everyone telling me how horrible she is and 2) I think a lot of players will benefit from **seeing** this information instead of just reading about it.

Part 1 covers:
Combo Exhibition
Combo Enders and Pressure Follow-Ups
"Mmmm, Tasty!": The Bite Trap - Anti Wake-Up Tech

Part 2 coming soon to feature:
Zoning and Counter-Zoning
Making a Mix-Up Game That Works
Pressure, Blockstrings, and Footsies
"Don't Be Mad!": Mileena Misconceptions at High Level

Part 3 soon after:
Pressure Escape
Air Game: Anti-Air and Air-to-Air
Corner Game and Corner Escape
Laming It Out - How to KEEP a Life Lead
OPEN UP! - How to force defensive players into making a mistake.

Also, HUGE thank yous to:
x18x2xwildx who had just as much input on most of this as I. Great, great Mileena player, and helped with testing everything.
Ironheart, for helping with the recording for sections of Part 2 I couldn't do alone.
Somberness, for all the frame data and for giving advice and corrections.

Part 1:

Transcript:
PART 1
“Let Us Dance!”: Combo Exhibition
  • Basic Combos
    njP, step forward, B+1, 4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, xxBite (35%, 14 Hits)
    jK, xxiAS, dash, 4, 2, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, *uppercut (32%, 7 Hits)
    Ball Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (25%, 10 Hits)
    4, 2, xxTeleport Drop, xxiAS, Roll, B+1, 4, xxBite (29%, 12 Hits)
    2, 3, xxBall Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (32%, 12 Hits)
    2, 3, xxEN Ball Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, dash, 1, 1, 2, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, xxBite (37%, 20 Hits - 1 Bar)
  • Mix-Up Combos
    Low
    B+3, xxBall Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (27%, 11 Hits)
    Overhead
    U+4, B+1, 4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, xxBite (35%, 14 Hits) [TP]
    High~Overhead
    B+1, 4, dash, 4, 2, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, xx Bite (30%, 12 Hits)
    B+1, 4, jK, xxTeleport Drop, xxiAS, Ball Roll, B+1, 4, xxBite (34%, 13 Hits)
    Low~Overhead
    B+3, xxEN Ball Roll, #B+1, 4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, xxBite (32%, 18 Hits - 1 Bar)
  • Specialty Combos
    [Air-to-Air] jP, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (18%, 10 hits)
    [Anti-Air] Ball Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (25%, 10 Hits)
    [Anti-Air] iAS, Ball Roll, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (23%, 10 Hits)
    [Anti-Air] Teleport Drop, xxiAS, D+4, xxBall Roll, B+1, 4 xxBite (24%, 11 Hits)
    High~Overhead
    [Corner] B+1, 4, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 4 xxBall Roll, dash (under), 4, xxBite (38%, 15 hits)
    Low
    [Cornered] B+3, xxBall Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, 4, xxBite (27%, 11 Hits)
“Sai-anara!”: Combo Enders
  • The Bite Reset
    • Ending combos with Bite will leave the opponent standing and Mileena and the opponent will both be neutral. This allows a few different follow-ups:
      • iAS
        • A very low iAS is probably Mileena’s best and safest option after a Bite Reset. It laves her at +5 if blocked and +15 on hit, so it’s a great way to keep pressure going. Also, if the opponent attempts a jump, it grants full AA iAS combo.
  • 42xxTele pressure
    • Ending combos with 42xxTele will leave the opponent grounded and Mileena standing beside them on the opposite side. This gives her a few options:
      • Step Back into pressure
        • B3 or xjP into combo of choice. Typically B3 B4 for safety reasons. Wake-ups will beat this every time.
      • Corpse Hopping
        • By dashing forward over the opponent’s grounded body, you will reverse his or her inputs. This is risky and should not be relied on. It offers the same B3 and xjP follow-ups.
      • Bait the wake-up
        • Just block. Or better yet, Corpse Hop and block. Then punish whatever wake-up the opponent throws out.
  • Uppercut
    • Ending combos with Uppercut will leave the opponent grounded far away with Mileena at advantage. This is her best option when trying to zone.
      • Since Mileena wants to zone, a ground Sai can be thrown out right after the uppercut.
        • Against some characters (ie Scorpion, Kitana), this is completely safe as she has time to block before a wake-up would hit or the Sai will even stuff wake-ups completely.
        • Against some other characters (ie Raiden, Kabal), this tactic will net the opponent a full punish.
  • U4 “Overhead Splat” into B2 “Overhead Sai” OTG
    • Ending combos with an U4 Overhead “Splat” leaves the opponent grounded with Mileena at significant advantage. Enough so that she can dash in and then perform a B+2 on the still grounded opponent.
      • The utility of this set-up is that it will deny the opponent of wake-up attacks and inflict a small amount of chip if the opponent blocks the B2. If the opponent does not block, the B2 will inflict 9% damage and cause another knockdown.
      • The problem with this set-up is that it causes Mileena to forego the pressure follow-ups of 42xxTele and Bite Reset while also not leaving her with the spacing advantage of Uppercut.
“Mmmm, Tasty!”: The “Bite Trap”
  • Mileena can use her Bite special to deny certain characters of his or her wake-up attacks. It is performed by ending a combo with 42xxTele and then following up by taking a step back or slightly delaying and then using Bite against the still grounded opponent. The trick only works against certain characters and even then, some of those characters have wake-up options which will still win out. Even so, the Bite Trap is worth using in some match-ups because if Mileena can stop her opponent from using wake-ups, the is free to pressure.
    • List of characters the “Bite Trap” does work against and which wake-ups to watch out for:
      • Kabal:
        • Ground Saw [EN] – Stuffed
        • Tornado Slam [EN] – Stuffed
        • Nomad Dash - Stuffed
        • EN Nomad Dash – Phased/Stuffed
      • Kitana:
        • Fan Cutter [EN] – Stuffed
        • Pretty Kick [EN] – Stuffed
        • Fake-Out Kick - Stuffed
        • Square Boost [EN] - Stuffed
        • Fan Lift [EN] – Beats Bite Trap
      • Noob:
        • Teleport [EN] – Stuffed
        • Shadow UpKnee [EN] - Stuffed
        • Shadow Charge [EN] – Beats Bite Trap
      • Reptile:
        • Slide [EN] – Phase
        • Elbow Dash [EN] – Phase
        • Acid Hand [EN] - Stuffed
        • Invisibility EN – Phase
      • Sektor:
        • Teleport Uppercut [EN] - Stuffed
        • Flamethrower [EN] – Stuffed
      • Scorpion
        • Leg Takedown [EX] – Phased
        • Teleport [EN] - Stuffed
      • Shang Tsung
        • Ground Skull – Stuff
        • Soul Steal [EN] – Phased
      • Sindel
        • Low Fireball [EN] – Phased
        • Yell [EN] – Stuffed
        • Step-Up [EN] – Stuffed
        • Levitate – Stuffed
      • Skarlet
        • Teleport [EN] – Stuffed
        • UpSlash [EN] – Stuffed
        • DownSlash [EN] – Stuffed
        • Red Slide – Stuffed
      • Sonya
        • Kartwheel [EN] – Phased
        • Leg Grab [EN] – Stuffed
        • Arc Kick [EN] – Stuffed
        • Kiss [EN] – Stuffed
      • Stryker
        • Roll Toss [EN] – Phased
        • Baton Sweep [EN] – Phased
      • Sub-Zero
        • Slide [EN] – Phased
        • Ice Clone [EN] – Stuffed

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
HUGE Thank You to Ironheart for helping me get the stuff I couldn't showcase in Practice mode. ^_^

Thanks again, man.

PART 2:
Blockstrings, Pressure, & Footsies
    • 42 is special cancelable and 0 on block after each hit. These properties make it quite useful as a pressure string.
      • Since it is neutral on block, the opponent must respect the option for a D3 or tick Throw follow-up. Mileena’s D3 is 7f and +2 on hit, but -8 on block.
      • Since it is special cancelable, the opponent must respect the option for Mileena to Teleport Drop and net a safe jump into more pressure or to Ball Roll into full combo.
      • This can be a deadly pressure mix-up game. Keep in mind the Teleport Drop and Ball Roll both carry much higher risk to reward ratio, so it should be used sparingly.
  • Throw into Ball Roll
    • This set-up only works if the opponent doesn’t perform a wake-up, but it does bring Mileena back into close range so that she can pressure her opponent. Once again, this is a risk, but one probably worth taking from time to time.
      • Similarly, she can follow up an X-Ray in similar fashion.
  • B14
    • B14 is also 0 on block after each hit. The second hit causes a bit of pushback, so tick throwing after it is not an option (dashing into Throw can still frazzle opponents sometimes). D3 can be used after either hit. At 21 frames, this string isn’t much for pressure, but is solid for footsies and mix-up.
    • B14’s true utility as a footsies tool is in its reach. It reaches from just inside sweep distance (the same range as U4). It is also 21f, making only a 9f window after a hit D4.
      • B1xxTick Throw
        • Great mix-up option.
      • B14xxEN Sai
        • Decent blockstring. Inflicts 7% damage, builds back approximately 1/3rd bar of meter, and leaves Mileena at -1
      • B14, jkxxTelexxiAS, Roll, B14xxBite (34%, 13 Hits)
        • High damage combo off of a B14.
  • D4
    • D4 is +12 on hit and 0 on block. It also has the longest reach of any poke in the game, making Mileena the queen of footsies, but only if you know how to use it properly.
    • D4 is NOT meant to be spammed from max distance. It is meant to be used to get a reaction. Repeated D4s are punishable, especially by characters with jK combos or Air Throws.
    • On hit, Mileena is at +12. This gives her several options for follow-ups:
      • Dash into Throw
      • Dash into 42 pressure
      • B14 (comes out with a 9 frame window after a hit D4)
      • U4 (The advantage granted from D4 on hit makes it easier to frame trap)
    • On block, she and the opponent are neutral so she’s free to react. It’s usually not advisable to try and advance as Mileena’s normals are quite slow.
  • Ball Roll to punish whiffed pokes
    • Mileena’s Ball Roll can punish pokes on whiff. This works especially well against a whiffed D1. This is usually NOT safe against D4s. This combined with the long reach of her D4 help to give her great footsies.
  • Walk backwards
    • Mileena has one of the fastest walk speeds in the game. Use it to your advantage, Walk back out of an opponents range and then punish whatever he or she attempts. B14, Ball Roll, D4 into pressure, and iAS are going to be your most used tools for this.
  • 234xxSai//EN Sai v 23xxRoll//EN Roll
    • This is a very solid hit-confirmable string. It is your go-to option after landing Teleport Drop into safe jump.
    • 234xxSai//EN Sai jails off jP making it Mileena’s best blockstring option.
      • jP, 234xxEN Sai – 10% Chip. ~50% meter loss.. -1 on block.
      • jP, 234xxSai – 9% Chip. ~50% meter gain. -9 on block.
    • jP, 23xxEN Roll, B14, dash, 112xxRoll, B14xxBite (40%, 21 Hits) is Mileena’s most damaging, practical non-X-Ray combo and can be hit-confirmed into fairly easily off of a jP.
      • jP, 23xxRoll, U4, B14, 4xxBite (35%, 13 Hits) is a meterless variant of the combo.
  • U4 & iAS Frame Traps
    • In terms of pressure, these two are your frame trap attacks.
      • U4 is +9 on block. This sort of advantage gives Mileena a few options for follow-up.
        • Throw – at 10f, a throw attempt is nearly guaranteed.
        • 42 Pressure – From the right distance, this is totally inescapable.
        • D4 into pressure
        • iAS – Best choice if you think an opponent may try to jump out. +5f on block, so keeps pressure going either way.
          • A common mistake seen among newcomers to Mileena is multiple U4s in series. While this could be decent to throw out occasionally, at 27f, it is far too slow to be relied upon. For a faster safer frame-trapping alternative, use iAS.
      • iAS is +5 on block. Typically, this will be followed up with a D3 or D4 into pressure as Mileena’s other normals are too slow to capitalize on the advantage.
        • jKxxiAS is a nice pseudo-Option Select in that on hit, it leads into a nice 31% combo, and on block, gives +5. If you do a Deep jK, it becomes a true OS and the iAS only comes out on hit.
        • EN Teleport DropxxiAS is +8 on block. The problem, however is that if the opponent crouch blocks the second hit of EN Teleport Drop, the iAS will whiff. High-risk, small reward
Zoning and Counter-Zoning
  • iAS
    • Mileena’s best zoning tool from outside jump distance. These lead into full AA combo from max Ball Roll distance or closer. iAS comes out at 14f, making it the slowest iAFB in the game. Even still, just having an iAFB makes her a serious threat at zoning.
  • D4
    • Probably Mileena’s best tool for spacing at footsies from around sweep range. +12 on hit, so leads into pressure. Use it to check opponents often as it’s 0 on block. Still punished hard by jK.
  • Teleport Drop
    • Anti-projectile tool. Counters most projectiles in the game on reaction (with proper timing) by giving Mileena a safe jump. Can also fully punish iAFBs for 26% with a bit of prediction. Completely shuts down the “Machine Gun iaFireball” strategy that many zoners employ.
  • Ball Roll
    • Punishes many close range projectiles as it goes under most that hit high.
  • Bite
    • More limited anti-zoning tool, but will hop over many low projectiles. Don’t bank on this, but keep it in mind as it can catch an opponent off guard from time to time.
Creating a Mix-Up That Works
  • Tick Throw vs Blockstrings
    • Mileena can tick throw at many, many opportunities with so many strings ending at neutral or advantage.
      • 2-Throw, 23-Throw, 234, 234xxSai//EN Sai
      • 4-[step forward]Throw, 42-Throw
      • B1-Throw, B14, B14xxSai/EN Sai
      • U4-[dash]Throw, U4-D4, U4-42
      • jkxxiAS-[step forward]Throw, jKxxiAS-D3
      • D4-[dash]Throw, D4-B14, D4[dash]42
      • D3-[step forward] Throw, D3-D4, D3-42
    • The Mix-Up comes from repeatedly committing to either tick throw or finish the blocktring repeatedly, and then breaking that pattern.
    • Keep in mind, these same “mix-up” principles apply when pressuring as well. Also note that, at 10f, Mileena’s throw is actually her fastest nonpoke normal.
  • Overhead/Low Mix-Ups
    • B14 ~High/Overhead
    • U4 ~Overhead
    • EN Ball Roll ~Overhead/Overhead/High
    • B3 B4 ~Low/Low
    • B3xxEN Ball Roll ~Low/Overhead/Overhead/High
      • Overhead/Low mix-ups are useful tools, but cannot be relied upon as many players are very good at fuzzy-guarding. EN Ball Roll can grant a full juggle on hit, but it also grants the opponent a full combo on block. Use it sparingly.
      • EN Ball Roll mid-Blockstring
        • Many opponents will block low while being assaulted by Mileena. If you notice an opponent doing this, check him/her with a cancel into an EN Ball Roll. The utility of this is opening an opponent up to D3 pokes to continue pressure.
“Don’t Be Mad!”: Common Mileena Misconceptions
  • Roll is the answer to everything and Mileena’s only viable wake-up option.
    • Truth: Ball Roll actually gets stuffed by a lot of things including well-timed jPs and jKs. The move has tons of great, practical applications; however, it is NOT the catch-all that many players seem to think it is.
      • Anti-Air: As an anti-air, iAS into Ball Roll is almost always a better, safer option as iAS is relatively low risk and can be confirmed into Ball Roll.
      • On wake-up: Bite I another wake-up option. It denies opponents pressure while leaving Mileena at -11 on block. On hit, it leaves Mileena neutral, so she can still pressure. The risk of Ball Roll may be worth it in some situations (being pressured on wake-up).
  • [EN] TelexxiAS is a safe way to get in and gives good pressure.
    • Truth: This statement is 100% true. But only against a stand-blocking opponent.
      • Anyone who’s tried to play Mileena at high level already knows that this will get blown up most of the time. Newer players are especially prone to falling into using this.
      • Many players are constantly throwing this out for no apparent reason. It’s common to Tele in from fullscreen into a block and iAS. This is a problem. Stop using this to get it and dash block like the rest of the cast.
      • This is also being used on Hit. On hit, Teleport Drop gives a Safe Jump. Use this to pressure your opponent. You do not get the Safe Jump if you are throwing out an iAS (which is whiffing over the opponent on hit, anyway).
  • Mileena has no worthwhile blockstrings for pressure.
    • Truth: Mileena’s jP, 234xxEN Sai jails the opponent standing, deals 10% chip, builds back 50% of the meter lost, and is -1 on block
      • Meterless, Mileena may use jP 234xxSai, which also jails standing, does 9% chip, builds 50% meter, but is -9 on block. Even still, with the spacing, it is safe against a large portion of the cast. The meterless variant, however, does not allow follow-up pressure.
  • “Mileena is a a pure rushdown character”, “Mileena is a pure zoning character”, “Mileena is a pure mix-up character”, “Mileena is a pure counter-style character”.
    • Truth: Mileena is all four.
      • Mileena’s biggest problem is that she has almost no comeback factor. Add to that the fact that she has slow normals and punishable specials and she seems doomed. That is, until you realize that she really can play the role of almost any character archetype.
      • Play to that, adjusting which role you take according to how the opponent is playing.
        • If an opponent is having trouble dealing with frame traps, rush him or her down. Similarly, if you find yourself at advantage, pressure the opponent. At disadvantage, play more footsies.
        • If the opponent is struggling with mix-up, use more Throw-Overhead-Low mix-up. Also use your mix-up game to “open up” turtling opponents.
        • If the opponent lets her zone with iAS, she should abuse it. iAS has very little recovery and can be used fairly liberally against many opponents.
        • If the opponent keeps jumping in, counter it with iAS into Roll.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
nice video TheChad_87

i think it might be worth mentioning with "the bite trap" that if your opp tech rolls your in front of them and you'll be eating the wakeup if you try neckbite,you can still block though if u see the tech roll

Somberness

Lights
Nice idea. I need to say this though, neckbite won't win against enhanced nomad dash unless you are on player 1 side. The rest should be fine, as long as neckbite becomes active first.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I was actually thinking about making something like this but I just got too lazy.

The wakeup bite thing is really cool, I never thought of that. I can't see myself using it though unless I know people like to wakeup

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Excellent video Chad, learned something new against biting Kabal and OMG to that Ex Nomad Dash wake up.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Now just felt like good timing to actually get it out there.

I can't stand to hear someone say "Yeah. Mileena is just very limited and super high risk." and then I see them play and they only TelexxiAS, 42xxTele/EN Tele, Ball Roll on wake-up every time, and try to AA with Ball Roll all the time. Mileena has tricks. That's a fact, but people are relying on them and ignoring the fundamentals and then complaining because they're getting blown up.

I realize I do a lot of the same things, but I note them as a reason for why I lost and try to find new ways around it. What I dont do is blame my character.

The videos are basically just a collection things that I've found that do work, and I can't wait to get the next part out there.

Yesterday me and Jer were talking about the bite trap and we thought that maybe it might be better used on certain characters than on others, mainly because tech roll into a late wakeup blows it up if you commit to it. So I compiled a list of which characters its better used on because the risk vs reward isn't too bad for Mileena. Also there's a list of characters you might not want to risk it on because you will be losing a lot of life if you guess wrong and they tech roll.

Low risk:
Sub-Zero
Reptile
Noob
Smoke
Rain
Jade
Sindel
Jax
Stryker
Kano
Nightwolf
Baraka
Shang Tsung

High risk:
Ermac
Kitana
Skarlet
Cyber Sub-Zero
Liu Kang
Sheeva
Mileena
Sektor
Quan Chi
Kenshi
Raiden
Freddy
Sonya
Cage
Kung Lao
Kabal

???:
Scorpion. I don't remember if you can wakeup with ex-spear or not. If you can, high risk. If you can't, low risk.
Cyrax. Again, not sure if you can wakeup net or not.

TheChad_87 1man3letters

1man3letters

Armageddon

csz and liu kang in low risk? if they use ex parry they get a full combo
sheeva aswell,if she wakeups up with ex grab and thats 22% lost for trying to get 7%,
yes they cost meter but still

also i thought that apart from tech rolling which there isnt much knockdown stun to work with, if the opp just stayed grounded and and has a fast enough wakeup attack they could catch you in the recovery frames of the whiffed bite,

ps.im not shitting on the tech im just thinking the opp options

Armageddon

csz and liu kang in low risk? if they use ex parry they get a full combo
sheeva aswell,if she wakeups up with ex grab and thats 22% lost for trying to get 7%,
yes they cost meter but still

also i thought that apart from tech rolling which there isnt much knockdown stun to work with, if the opp just stayed grounded and and has a fast enough wakeup attack they could catch you in the recovery frames of the whiffed bite,

ps.im not shitting on the tech im just thinking the opp options
Oops, those just slipped my mind I guess. Edited.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I'm on call this weekend, so no time to record the second part of the video just yet. I am however posting the Transcript for PART 2 in my second post.

I'll add the video as soon as possible. Hopefully next weekend. Sorry for the delay.

Somberness

Lights
Before you record..
- B14~en sai is +2
- 234~sai jails, but only on block. The opponent can take the 4 and duck the sai and blow you up. :)
- same goes for 234~en sai. That does not jail even on block because of the push back.
- air sai is approx +5, it really depends on where you use it. I'd probably just say slight advantage as +5 might be a little high off a jump kick to the head, for example.

1man3letters

Before you record..
- B14~en sai is +2
- 234~sai jails, but only on block. The opponent can take the 4 and duck the sai and blow you up. :)
- same goes for 234~en sai. That does not jail even on block because of the push back.
- air sai is approx +5, it really depends on where you use it. I'd probably just say slight advantage as +5 might be a little high off a jump kick to the head, for example.
i didnt know about b14~ex sai being +2, thats awesome.
thanks somberness

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Before you record..
- B14~en sai is +2
Thank you much. All very useful information :D

Especially that EN Sai does NOT Jail in the blockstring and that EN Sai after a B14 is +2 ... That makes me VERY happy. lol

Ironheart

No problem Chad. And this guide is amazing. You really put a lot of time into this and it definitely shows. This guide will hopefully help me learn how to handle the Mileena MU a little better.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
No problem Chad. And this guide is amazing. You really put a lot of time into this and it definitely shows. This guide will hopefully help me learn how to handle the Mileena MU a little better.
NO! You go to Hell! This is not supposed to help people learn to fight Mileena! LOL

Jk. But seriously. Thanks Again, man.

@Everyone else; Part 2 will be out this week. Just working on editing it now.