What's new

Strategy Was it good for you? - Mileena general discussion

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Death

was testing out the breaker roll combo you were talking about,
it can be blocked sadly :( if the opp holds down + block then can block it even if you roll instantly,
block on its own wont work though.
if opp rolls they can get away aswell but mileena wont be punished :)

still love it though, got it on alot of people now that i know the method to get it.
comboing from a breaker is just so swag

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
1man3letters It's a chance that's worth it I think, because the breaker combo can only work off of certain strings and you need to be juggled.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
If Mileena got armor on EX Neckbite, would the Sonya/Cage matchup turn into at least a 4-6?
It would get them off her so she can retreat to full screen but approaching Cage and Sonya is scary and them approaching Mileena is just as terrifying. Cage doesn't scare me much as Mileena BUT OMG Sonya is scary when I'm Mileena, I feel literally out of control because... Sonya has answers for EVERYTHING Mileena does. The same D4 karma but Sonya can play very dirty with her D4 on Mileena. Armored Ex Cartwheel combo launcher which breaks through Mileena's pressure. Sonya has answers for Mileena's D4... Dive Kick.. Ex Cartwheel.. Jump Kick~Air Grab.. Jump Kick, D4~Cartwheel... Mileena's Ex Teleport Kick... D1~Cartwheel or her fast Uppercut... Mileena's Roll... Kiss~Dive Kick combo... Mileena's regular Teleport Kick... 1MSB2 or jabs... Mileena's Instant Air Sais.. AA jabs, Ex Cartwheel, Ex Arc Kick or trade Pink Rings... Mileena normals are so low, Sonya stops everything up she does up close. Mileena wants Sonya to jump but she has no freaking reason to jump, she's stays on ground.. I feel extremely helpless when I fight Sonya with Mileena... and funny thing when I use Sonya on Mileena players, I can see my own Mileena helpless as a self reflection XD

Fighting Sonya with Mileena is like fighting Mileena + Johnny Cage's Love Child.

London Lust

Lagleena Player
I've never fought a good Sonya, so I don't know your pain :p Her pressure looks terrifying from what I see on streams.

If I didn't love Mileena so much, I would have probably dropped her a long time ago. When someone knows the Mil matchup I feel helpless lol. I remember when people used put her as top tier.

I've never fought a good Sonya, so I don't know your pain :p Her pressure looks terrifying from what I see on streams.
It is terrifying. She can cancel almost any normal, on hit or block, into MS, at which point she can hit you with an uninterruptable mix-up. Her normals are much faster and more versatile than Mileena's are. This means that she builds up meter like crazy, and then the instant she has even one bar of meter you have to start fearing EX Karthweel (arguably one of the best EX moves in the game)

She's like Johnny Cage, only she has an easier time getting in AND she has a move that grants a full combo on hit + has armour on it.

If I didn't love Mileena so much, I would have probably dropped her a long time ago. When someone knows the Mil matchup I feel helpless lol. I remember when people used put her as top tier.
Think how helpless Sheeva feels when she's matched against Mileena...

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Stop shitting on this character, she doesn't suck.

<3
THANK YOU! <3

Also, goddammit! I "found" this breaker tech the other night and thought I was Jesus because of it. Decided to read through this today, and glad I did because I thought it was unblockable.

My opinions on the character: In general, I do have to agree that the Cage/Sonya matchup is awful. You can D3 after a F33 is blocked [-4], but F3 will stuff pokes so thats about the only way she's getting out. Keep in mind Mileena does have one armored move: X-Ray (which is underused, imo). So I will say this now: In these high-pressure match-ups, stop wasting your meter on EN Teleport gimmicks and EN Sai zoning and use it for X-Ray.

And, since we're talking MUs, thoughts on Kung Lao? I'm finding anti-crossup Roll [F, F, D, 4] to be amazing, as it works on crossovers AND his teleport. Even if he EN Teles, She will often D4, shrinking her hitbox and leaving her mostly safe. But I'll cover that later ;)

1) Start using anti-crossover Roll
2) Start using X-Ray when you need armor, even if it doesn't end the round.
3) Start utilizing safe jumps when Teleport Drop hits instead of automatically cancelling into iAS every time. This increases her pressure game by a lot.

In my opinion, These 3 things are key to winning with Mileena and showing the opponent that she does NOT buckle under pressure.

I made a video showing off the basics of Mileena

If you are new to the character I hope it will help you!
ya the video was helpful the xray is only good when your ending a combo, dont know what console your using but i play on 360 and i find a good combo with x-ray is: roll, up+B, back+x B, finish with x-ray..sadly it doesnt do as much damage as you'd think but its one of my favorite things to do

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Her xray is only good when used to armor through something, other than that you should just use it for Ex Roll/Sai/Tele

London Lust

Lagleena Player
Hmm...why does Mileena have better tournament placings than a lot of the people above her in tier lists (mostly A tier)? It's been bothering me because she's not that good but she doesn't do that bad in tourneys. Everyone knows the matchup now and she's really unsafe. Is it her shenanigans that are lucking her out?

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Hmm...why does Mileena have better tournament placings than a lot of the people above her in tier lists (mostly A tier)? It's been bothering me because she's not that good but she doesn't do that bad in tourneys. Everyone knows the matchup now and she's really unsafe. Is it her shenanigans that are lucking her out?
It's the players playing her, it's not all about character at high levels (though mostly it is). Look at Insuperable, he plays Quan, a character FAR lower than Mileena and he gets 9th and whatnot at almost every tournament he attends.

Mileena has good enough mixups and gimmicky stuff that she can really work her way in on people, I find every Mileena player plays her a lot differently than the next, that's why Mileena places high at tournaments.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Hey guys whats up? I'm still new to this website. I've always played MK. I had Mk9 for a while to 360 & just brought the tournament edition to PS3 about a week ago. On 360's MK version, I played mainly Kitana, Scorpion, Mileena, Jade, & Sub-Zero. I played it on a casusal note, but now I wanna see if I can get into it on a competitive level. So far, based on matchup play, Kitana has been my best option for a character. I've been looking for another character that's been my favorite out of the ninjas. I know there are odds to overcome with Mileena.

With that said, what's the gameplan with Mileena? What's her style? Offense or Defense? Is she able to win out most of her matches? If she has unfavorable matches are they winable? Her Bnb combo thread? More importantly, is she a good fit? How is she as far as tiers? I just want a brief understanding where I can break her down & go from there.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
With that said, what's the gameplan with Mileena? What's her style? Offense or Defense? Is she able to win out most of her matches? If she has unfavorable matches are they winable? Her Bnb combo thread? More importantly, is she a good fit? How is she as far as tiers? I just want a brief understanding where I can break her down & go from there.
gameplan: general annoyance with d3/d4/airsais to make your opponent to do dumb stuff.

style:zoning/counter zoning/bait and punish.
her normals very sluggish in speed also

offense: 234, 42, d3, d4, u4, b34 be the main normals you'll be using along with b14/112/4 as combo fillers. neckbite used as a reset tool also.
u really have to play mileena unsafe to get the most out of her.

defense: d4, d3, roll/telekick for counter zoning, her only armor xray

bnb thread:theres a stickied mileena guide with plenty of bnbs

matchups: she can fight most of the cast in some shape or form but does have a good few losing mus but there are no 10-0's so nothing is unwinnable but against for example say kenshi, your pretty fucked there if the kenshi knows how to play it

"is she a good fit?": sorry but dont know how to answer that :confused:

tier wise: mid tier

anyways hope that helps ya abit, also welcome to TYM :D

Reactions: JDE