What's new

Guide - Special Forces (UPDATED 25/10) Colby's guide to Special Forces

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Nice man glad to see your enjoying special forces there's a couple stuff I'd like to add if you don't mind

I didn't see njp combos with drone out she gets a decent amount of damage

Midscreen

I also didn't see much on her normals her d3 is godlike +12 on hit meaning you can throw b1 after which is 12 startup frames

Her d4 is also really good since it low profiles has decent range and is plus 20 on hit f2 is a good follow-up midscreen in the corner you can go for 50/50 after

Also think you missed a few combos and could of optimized a few more I'll go more into it when I have the time

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Nice man glad to see your enjoying special forces there's a couple stuff I'd like to add if you don't mind

I didn't see njp combos with drone out she gets a decent amount of damage

Midscreen

I also didn't see much on her normals her d3 is godlike +12 on hit meaning you can throw b1 after which is 12 startup frames

Her d4 is also really good since it low profiles has decent range and is plus 20 on hit f2 is a good follow-up midscreen in the corner you can go for 50/50 after

Also think you missed a few combos and could of optimized a few more I'll go more into it when I have the time
Thanks for those combos i forgot to include njp combos.

I didn't cover normals just because I wanted it to be a guide just covering the stuff unique to this variation.

I've tried to optimise my combos but if I haven't do let me know.

Thanks for the feedback :)

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Definitely appreciate the effort, but

A combo that starts with a jump-in punch canceled into divekick is the equivalent of having a combo starter that is 30 frames on startup and massively unsafe on block.
I see people landing the divekick all the time though. Its a great punisher for overzealous jumpers after a jump away.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Thanks for those combos i forgot to include njp combos.

I didn't cover normals just because I wanted it to be a guide just covering the stuff unique to this variation.

I've tried to optimise my combos but if I haven't do let me know.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Just a few lil things like 11 into low kami or homing missile being the fastest punish also b14 and b332 homing missile you can combo into 11,12 etc

I prefer to do b2 12 into njp in the corner seems easier to land for me idk how you guys feel about it for example

B332, low kami,b2,12,njp,12, etc

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
No, you haven't. I don't want to derail the thread anymore, but I honestly can't let you get away with that claim.

To have the reactions to hit confirm off that, you'd need to have the same reactions needed to block Sonya's b3 on reaction, since it's a 13 or 14 frame window max.
That's not true, because the neutral is more than "does she B3 or not" there is a million other things she could do, where as here, you are simply checking for one thing - does the JiP connect. On top of that, many things that people forget when discussing reaction times is the visual start up on he move itself - to block a B3 you have 13 frames to see it coming and visually distinguish itself from every other move she has, and often with moves that's not possible to see what's coming in the opening frames as it's visually ambiguous, or at the very least takes extra processing time to work out which one it is, time that you literally do not have. JiP however is a much simpler hitconfirm, it unmistakably reveals itself in the opening frame and comes right along with an audio cue. I know I could hit confirm Divekick after JiK as Lao. I'm not sayin this is an easy hitconfirm, but it's biologically not out the realm of human possibility, on top of that even if it was it doesn't make the opener completely impractical, it just makes it situational - I often get safe JiKxxTP openers in with Scorpion against standing opponents, watching their character model all you really have to react to is whether they are blocking or whether they do something (like say try to AA) as you are coming in the even the last frames give you that reveal. It's a "cheap" hitconfirm that won't work if for some reason they stupidly unblock the frame before it connects, but any more than, say 2-3 frames earlier than the connect gives enough time to register it I think, certainly easy if they tried say their 10f uppercut just 2f too late or something. I take it when its there and as such it doesn't make the opener impractical.

colby4898

Just a few lil things like 11 into low kami or homing missile being the fastest punish also b14 and b332 homing missile you can combo into 11,12 etc

I prefer to do b2 12 into njp in the corner seems easier to land for me idk how you guys feel about it for example

B332, low kami,b2,12,njp,12, etc
To be honest I didn't realise b14 and b332 could combo into homing missile so I'll have to check that out later, thanks. Do you fond that help her because I imagine it probably comes out to less damage than a low kamikaze.

I'm pretty sure that combo does the same damage, I found quite a few variations of similar combos in that all come to the same damage. So I guess it's whatever combo you feel most comfortable pulling off.

I definitely should have mentioned 11 Block+4 was her fastest punish so I'll add that in later and give you credit of course.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
To be honest I didn't realise b14 and b332 could combo into homing missile so I'll have to check that out later, thanks. Do you fond that help her because I imagine it probably comes out to less damage than a low kamikaze.

I'm pretty sure that combo does the same damage, I found quite a few variations of similar combos in that all come to the same damage. So I guess it's whatever combo you feel most comfortable pulling off.

I definitely should have mentioned 11 Block+4 was her fastest punish so I'll add that in later and give you credit of course.
Since b14 and b332 homing missile are safe if you get them to respect you then for example you can do b14 homing missile st.1 if they get hit you can combo if they block you can go into 50/50 (b332 gives you enough time to call drone again) that's one use I see for it another would b too keep your drone just something to note

colby4898

Since b14 and b332 homing missile are safe if you get them to respect you then for example you can do b14 homing missile st.1 if they get hit you can combo if they block you can go into 50/50 (b332 gives you enough time to call drone again) that's one use I see for it another would b too keep your drone just something to note
The problem I have though is when I try to cancel b14 into a drone attack if it's blocked the drone won't come out due to the different timings required on block and on hit. Which is why I tend to cancel into park drone to keep me safer.as with b332 you can confirm it on hit into low kamikaze about 36% with a safe drone call so I'm not sure why you would favour the homing missile combo. I'm at college now so I can't check it out but I will later and I may think it's favourable. :)

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
The problem I have though is when I try to cancel b14 into a drone attack if it's blocked the drone won't come out due to the different timings required on block and on hit. Which is why I tend to cancel into park drone to keep me safer.as with b332 you can confirm it on hit into low kamikaze about 36% with a safe drone call so I'm not sure why you would favour the homing missile combo. I'm at college now so I can't check it out but I will later and I may think it's favourable. :)
Good point I just tend to not b a fan of park drone lol since they can pretty much start their pressure after but I'll give it another shot

Another corner combo f2 ,low kami,b2,12,njp,12,2134 believe does 38%

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
... all i know is ive been doing it pretty well since i started learning her so again, idc if it's 'impossible' because i've been doing it!

There's no point arguing about this anyway.

Nice guide, really breaks the character down well.

Imma have to agree with Tony though, no way in fuck you are truely hit confirming it. Literally no way, and that's a point that can't be argued. Although there has to be an explanation if you've been doing it.

I believe what's happening is you're confirming your JIP based on your opponents recovery. For example, jumping over a fireball, you know for certain the JIP will hit therefore u go straight into divekick. That isn't really hit confirming bro.

I see people landing the divekick all the time though. Its a great punisher for overzealous jumpers after a jump away.
I agree. After Kanos f24 (or whatever his headbutt to kick move is) he gets a free d4 check against Sonya.

But Sonya can do a short jump to d4 (divekeeeeek) to punish that.

But that's a separate thing than jip to divekick.

Nice guide, really breaks the character down well.

Imma have to agree with Tony though, no way in fuck you are truely hit confirming it. Literally no way, and that's a point that can't be argued. Although there has to be an explanation if you've been doing it.

I believe what's happening is you're confirming your JIP based on your opponents recovery. For example, jumping over a fireball, you know for certain the JIP will hit therefore u go straight into divekick. That isn't really hit confirming bro.
I was wrong about it. Watch @Scott The Scot 's video and he's doing it on an AI set to random block.

Dunno man, guess some people just got crazy reflexes. I can't do it to save my life though.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I agree. After Kanos f24 (or whatever his headbutt to kick move is) he gets a free d4 check against Sonya.

But Sonya can do a short jump to d4 (divekeeeeek) to punish that.

But that's a separate thing than jip to divekick.
Uh I think you're thinking of B31 which is kick to headbutt and is +1 on block lol. He doesn't have a F24 but does have a 2F4 which is a Guile backhand into an advancing boot to the face and neutral on block but not what I think you're talking about because Kano doesn't have anything fast enough to beat a D3 except up ball from a specifically close range.
Aaaaaaaaand he doesn't actually get a free check against Sonya even after B31 since her D3 is 7 frames and his fastest poke is 8, they just trade. Buuuuuuuuuttttt his standing 2 by itself is +2 (if it doesn't whiff like it tends to) which would give him a free D4 check.

Unless I'm going on about the wrong moves in which case please stop me, for the love of god.

Uh I think you're thinking of B31 which is kick to headbutt and is +1 on block lol. He doesn't have a F24 but does have a 2F4 which is a Guile backhand into an advancing boot to the face and neutral on block but not what I think you're talking about because Kano doesn't have anything fast enough to beat a D3 except up ball from a specifically close range.
Aaaaaaaaand he doesn't actually get a free check against Sonya even after B31 since her D3 is 7 frames and his fastest poke is 8, they just trade. Buuuuuuuuuttttt his standing 2 by itself is +2 (if it doesn't whiff like it tends to) which would give him a free D4 check.

Unless I'm going on about the wrong moves in which case please stop me, for the love of god.
I think F24 is correct, but IIRC Sonya d3 is outranged if Kano does F24 from max distance.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I was practicing jump 2 into Divekick and the time between an early j2 into a late Divekick the timing feels pretty tame

As you can confirm the Divekick as low as their ankles lol

I GOT HANDS

@Tony at Home

Don't kick yourself man, it may just be your monitor. This is a very tight hitconfirm, even a few frames more and I don't think it would be doable. On anything but a high speed monitor I think it would be even harder. What are you using?

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Yeah I'm on PS4 but I can't really play at the moment because the dpad on my controller is kind of fucked lol
so ive been labbing some characters till i get a new one. I'll happily play you if you're EU when I get a new controller. :)
Great thread op. Btw, I've had this problem where all three of my controller's d-pads are unplayably fucked up, so I bought myself a new blue one and for some reason they make these blue dualshock 4's 100x sturdier than the black ones. The d-pad feels amazing on these. If you're getting a new controller I'd recommend a blue one.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I don't understand why people hate on Jump In Punches. It's a way to get max damage when you read that Scorpion is going to throw his EX spear, or that F/T is going to throw the low Ferra toss thing, or when another Sonya goes to shoot her projectile.

Nice guide, nobody :)
Because in a guide, no one (or at least, not I) wants to know "max damage" combos. We (again, at least I) want to know the realistic damage we get from a practical combo. Flashy big damage combos can be saved for swag combo videos.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Because in a guide, no one (or at least, not I) wants to know "max damage" combos. We (again, at least I) want to know the realistic damage we get from a practical combo. Flashy big damage combos can be saved for swag combo videos.
Fair enough, but I think Jump-In punches are practical - it's not like they don't happen in actual matches with competent players. But I get what you mean.
@Tony at Home

Don't kick yourself man, it may just be your monitor. This is a very tight hitconfirm, even a few frames more and I don't think it would be doable. On anything but a high speed monitor I think it would be even harder. What are you using?
^ This is a very good point that should be taken in to consideration. I'm doing it on my regular SamsungTV with 8ms response or something though lol.

I GOT HANDS

Yeah sometimes JiP is a good opener , but it doesn't need to be in front of every combo, JiPxxDK especially either gets blocked or goes through, so you only need one combo for that opener

@Scott The Scot thats pretty impressive.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I think F24 is correct, but IIRC Sonya d3 is outranged if Kano does F24 from max distance.
Why are you arguing about Kano inputs with someone who plays Kano? The only f2 (f212) kano has is in cutthroat and that's a knife attack. The kick to head butt is b31. 2f4 is bitch slap to face boot. Just like youph said. Doing b3 from max distance is stupid as it's quite slow and people will just walk out of it.

Jolt

Uprise
Just wanted to add a hard to blockable/double 50/50 in the corner when drone is out. Takes some execution, but it's worth it.

b14 low kamikaze run (MIXUP)
or b332 low kamikaze run (MIXUP)

for mixup, you can do b3 (low) or b1 (overhead) into EX Arc Kick. If it lands, you convert into a safe drone call (I personally do 12, 12, 112 drone call but there's probably something better).

So ultimately we're looking at (Armorable block string)

b14 low kamikaze run b1 EX db3 12 12 112
b332 low kamikaze run b3 EX db3 12 12 112

The block stun from the low kamikaze guarantees the followups even though you have to run if you get the right distance to maximize your frame advantage.

Also: WIP tech, but I'm sure we all realize the kamikazes often pushback. I'm not sure 100% how to prevent it, but I've experimented with a few methods that seem to have high success rates:

1. Block
2. Jump
3. Dash/run

It could be coincidence and I'll have to lab it some more. I've taken some time off of SF because it's just frustrating online. If someone can figure out how to prevent yourself from being pushed back 100% of the time, we have even more frame advantage to work with I believe.

colby4898

Just wanted to add a hard to blockable/double 50/50 in the corner when drone is out. Takes some execution, but it's worth it.

b14 low kamikaze run (MIXUP)
or b332 low kamikaze run (MIXUP)

for mixup, you can do b3 (low) or b1 (overhead) into EX Arc Kick. If it lands, you convert into a safe drone call (I personally do 12, 12, 112 drone call but there's probably something better).

So ultimately we're looking at (Armorable block string)

b14 low kamikaze run b1 EX db3 12 12 112
b332 low kamikaze run b3 EX db3 12 12 112

The block stun from the low kamikaze guarantees the followups even though you have to run if you get the right distance to maximize your frame advantage.

Also: WIP tech, but I'm sure we all realize the kamikazes often pushback. I'm not sure 100% how to prevent it, but I've experimented with a few methods that seem to have high success rates:

1. Block
2. Jump
3. Dash/run

It could be coincidence and I'll have to lab it some more. I've taken some time off of SF because it's just frustrating online. If someone can figure out how to prevent yourself from being pushed back 100% of the time, we have even more frame advantage to work with I believe.
I think I covered this in the guide. I wouldn't myself call it a hard to blockable because they don't happen at the same time like say Summoners low bat and b2.
I mentioned how midscreen, after a low kamikaze into a run and any string is a true block string, including her 50/50 options. So of course it would apply in the corner. Also doing b3

To stop the push back of a low kamikaze all you need to do is a short run cancel and a follow up and it will be true block string.
I assume you meant ex db4, but this is -19 on block so going into that isn't the best option imo. Instead of b3 ex db4 which is -19 on block you could do b33u4 which is -7 on block and allows a full meterless combo. Instead of b14 into ex db4 you could b14 ex bf2 as it's minus 5 on block and allws a combo after.

I'm not sure why you would use ex arc kick in any situation other than for a reversal/wakeup so if im missing something please let me know.