What's new

Guide - Special Forces (UPDATED 25/10) Colby's guide to Special Forces

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Not sure what the best term for it is, 'input latency' may be better. But there's an unavoidable time in every game between the press of a button on a controller and when the action is actually recognized by the game.

Here's an article which actually shows tests, and one of the included games is Mortal Kombat:

http://www.displaylag.com/console-latency-exploring-video-game-input-lag/

Basically, pressing a button, such as "block" doesn't mean you block that exact frame. The input is not immediately conveyed. For MKX it's 100ms, or 1 tenth of a second. This included monitor lag in their tests, though they used good monitors.

Pretty significant.

Ok, I got ya. I thought you were saying the Xbox One controller itself had some massive latency issue specific to the controller. I've been searching for an answer to my input delay for a while, I was hoping maybe I had stumbled on to something lol.

You don't need to tell me this :p

@Tony at Home are you sure there isn't something you're not accounting for in your frame counting? Anything? I do jump in punch then press down and if I see it hit I press 4 if that helps you.
I'm quite [*edit* 100% certain. The frame step was just to count exactly how many frames it was, but even before then I had tried setting the AI to random block to test confirms and it wasn't happening.

The frame step is definitely right. 30 frames per second, so it skipped every other frames. 7 frames doubles to 14. And once again that's not even accounting for input latency,.

Full frame step file: http://1drv.ms/1WUo2wh
(Open as layers with an image editing program. Each layer is one frame, each layer skips a frame. So layer 1 = frame 1, layer 2 = frame 3, layer 3 = frame 5 etc, etc)

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I'm quite certain. The frame step was just to count exactly how many frames it was, but even before then I had tried setting the AI to random block to test confirms and it wasn't happening.

The frame step is definitely right. 30 frames per second, so it skipped every other frames. 7 frames doubles to 14. And once again that's not even accounting for input latency,.
Well, I don't know what to say man. I'm part of the next step of evolution I guess.

Done one a regular PS4 pad.

Scott The Scot

WTF?

I'm not able to do this no matter how hard I try and I've been at it for the entire 20 minutes since seeing this
I guess your reactions aren't fast enough. I hate asking or talking about this because it's rude but are you an older gentleman? By older I mean your late 20's+ because I'm 19 so I guess my reactions are still pretty sharp. One day I won't be able to do this, it's a timer ticking down so I have that to look forward too :(

I guess your reactions aren't fast enough. I hate asking or talking about this because it's rude but are you an older gentleman? By older I mean your late 20's+ because I'm 19 so I guess my reactions are still pretty sharp. One day I won't be able to do this, it's a timer ticking down so I have that to look forward too :(
No, I just suck. I'm only 24, shouldn't have any slowdown yet.

@colby4898
Well, looks like I got to Hold That. Sorry mate. May your divekicks hit many faces.

Scott The Scot

No, I just suck. I'm only 24, shouldn't have any slowdown yet.

@colby4898
Well, looks like I got to Hold That. Sorry mate. May your divekicks hit many faces.
Fair enough. You're not a liar. I suck. My apologies.
Stop saying you suck lol chill it's not that big of a deal, must be something some people are born with or something. I don't know anything about reactions or genetics or anything really so I can't say.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Although I understand that you put in jip~dk to show max damage it's better to show practical damage instead. You could just say that jip~dk adds however much damage as a sidenote because most of the time you're not going to start your combos with it.
You might also want to mention that you can only get a safe drone from 2134 if it's done at the end of a juggle, not while the opponent is still upright/grounded as that doesn't give a safe reload.
I'm currently in the process of checking every normal/string cancelled into drone call so I wouldn't say there's definitely no safe way to call drone on block, once I'm finished with the data we'll know.
Drone's BLK+2 isn't really +35 on block, it just says that because Sonya can move around at least 35 frames before it hits. BLK+2 has to travel and has very little blockstun when it reaches the opponent.
You have a section dedicated to a string that doesn't exist lol. It's B14 not B12.
In gimmicks you mention there's no safe way to call drone on hit but that's incorrect, 11~drone call for one thing is +1 on hit. And I haven't even tested everything yet.
You also have some errors like:
"1234 at the end of a string" in the Activating Drone Safely section
"1234 dd1" in the Corner Game section
In the Mixups section you talk about a B34 string but I'm assuming you meant B14 since you say it's an overhead.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Although I understand that you put in jip~dk to show max damage it's better to show practical damage instead. You could just say that jip~dk adds however much damage as a sidenote because most of the time you're not going to start your combos with it.
You might also want to mention that you can only get a safe drone from 2134 if it's done at the end of a juggle, not while the opponent is still upright/grounded as that doesn't give a safe reload.
I'm currently in the process of checking every normal/string cancelled into drone call so I wouldn't say there's definitely no safe way to call drone on block, once I'm finished with the data we'll know.
Drone's BLK+2 isn't really +35 on block, it just says that because Sonya can move around at least 35 frames before it hits. BLK+2 has to travel and has very little blockstun when it reaches the opponent.
You have a section dedicated to a string that doesn't exist lol. It's B14 not B12.
In gimmicks you mention there's no safe way to call drone on hit but that's incorrect, 11~drone call for one thing is +1 on hit. And I haven't even tested everything yet.
You also have some errors like:
"1234 at the end of a string" in the Activating Drone Safely section
"1234 dd1" in the Corner Game section
In the Mixups section you talk about a B34 string but I'm assuming you meant B14 since you say it's an overhead.
I went through and edited the notation errors I made thanks for pointing it out.
You're right in saying i should have mentioned that 2134 has to be in then end of a juggle, but theres no reason to ever use when the opponent is standing because it's unsafe on block.
I didn't realise 11 was a safe way to call drone so thanks for that.
I hope you found the guide useful though despite it's errors lol

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I went through and edited the notation errors I made thanks for pointing it out.
You're right in saying i should have mentioned that 2134 has to be in then end of a juggle, but theres no reason to ever use when the opponent is standing because it's unsafe on block.
I didn't realise 11 was a safe way to call drone so thanks for that.
I hope you found the guide useful though despite it's errors lol
No problemo :)
I mean I know that but others that don't play the variation don't, that's the only reason I mention it.
It'll be more useful to those that don't play the variation, I already play it too which is why I can give some input lol.

Sorry to be so meticulous but there's still a few errors :p I've underlined and increased the size of them so you can find them in the OP and change them:
Combos

Corner with drone active:
jip d4 b332 4+Block njp b2 12 12 2134 (42%)
jip d4 b332 4+Block njp b2 12 12 213 bf4 (44%)
jip d4 b14 4+Block njp b2 12 12 2134 (40%)
jip d4 b14 4+Block njp b2 12 12 213 bf4 (42%)
jip d4 b14 dd1 123 4+Block njp b2 12 12 2134 (39%) - should be 12/121/213
jip d4 b14 dd1 123 4+Block njp b2 12 12 213 bf4 (41%) - should be 12/121/213

Activating Drone Safely

There are several dafe ways to avctivate the drone after a combo. I'm sure you have noticed I am ending all my combos with 2134 string. This is because it guarantees a getting the drone out against every wake up in the game. So I try to end all my combos with 2134. There are other ways to get it out safely such as ending a combo with 222, however this is less damage and puts the opponent full screen away where as 2134 puts them right in front of you allowing you to continue pressure. After 1234 mid-screen it also guarantees homing missile pressure. So after 2134 you can do dd1 2+Block safely.

The other way I activate the drone safely is from her low b33212. This allows a safe drone activation however does put the opponent full screen away. Ex bd4 is safe against most wakeups in the game other than fast approaching wakeups like reptiles ex slide.

B14 Pressure

B332 lasts a long time making timing easy on deciding what drone attack to cancel into based on whether it hits or is blocked. However that is not so easy with b12. Your timing for b14 Block+4 on hit is easy, however if b12 is blocked and you've used the timing assuming it's going to hit, the Block+4 will not come out and you will be heavily punished as b12 is -15 on block. Confirming into a Block+2 if it's blocked is incredibly difficult and to be honest not worth trying. Instead confirming it into dd1 makes it safer at about -7 on block. It is still difficult to confirm but not as difficult as trying to confirm into an a drone attack.

Mixups

With the drone out she has access to mix ups. Any string on bock can be canceled into Block+1 (OH) of Block+4 (Low). This makes b14 more dangerous because you can do b3 Block+1 (OH,OH) b14 Block+1 (OH,Low,OH) or b34 Block+4 (OH,Low,Low).

I like to cancel d3/d4 into Block+1/4 also for some good footsies.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
No problemo :)
I mean I know that but others that don't play the variation don't, that's the only reason I mention it.
It'll be more useful to those that don't play the variation, I already play it too which is why I can give some input lol.

Sorry to be so meticulous but there's still a few errors :p I've underlined and increased the size of them so you can find them in the OP and change them:
I could have swore I went through and got them all, whoops lol. Thanks for making them clear. I'll go through and change them... again lol :p

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Reaction isn't necessarily dependent on age alone. Things like experience, mental prowess and body health will do more than aid in keeping your reactions top-notch in your early and later years. I'm 25 and can still react to shit just fine. :p

EDIT: To the OP, great guide, and @Tony at Home ...level up, scrub. :joker:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I'm 33 and my reactions are typically as fast or faster than anyone I play against. Granted, I was a freak when I was younger and I have slowed down, but *shrug*

Scott The Scot

Reaction isn't necessarily dependent on age alone. Things like experience, mental prowess and body health will do more than aid in keeping your reactions top-notch in your early and later years. I'm 25 and can still react to shit just fine. :p
Haha very well, I don't know anything about reactions so I'll take your word for it and assume you've at least googled it or something lol.