What's new

Unsolved Mysteries of MKX: Advantage Armored Launchers

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Unsolved Mysteries of MKX: Safe, Advantage Launchers: Fact or Fiction?

Note: This thread is about unsolved mysteries. What you are about to read is not a news bulletin.

The location, TestYourMight.com. The crime, a ruthlessly spread rumor that threatens to become fact through sheer word of mouth. What is this rumor? How did it become near fact? Who’s responsible for it? Join me as we delve into the Unsolved Mysteries of Mortal Kombat X.

Lately, most notably in the Kenshi forums, there seems to come a bizarre, almost cult-like mentality pertaining to the character. Most notably, this rabid cult seems to agree that the character is lukewarm and in need of severe help in order to even compete. Some of this help includes making his launching attack, Rising Karma, not only armored but giving frames to Kenshi on block. Justification for this heinousness? “The issue with Kenshi in general is what makes top tiers great aka safe armored launchers, plus frame launchers”.

Clearly, the players in the Kenshi forum are on to something. Surely, in a game with rampant safe armored launchers and even ones that grant benefits to the attacker on block, Kenshi could use some help. But how true is the validity of this statement? Unsolved Mysteries has done an investigation, and now turns their findings to this thread:

Jason: No armored launcher

Kung Lao: Armored launcher (EN Spin), unsafe. Move that can lead to launch, EN Hat Spin, is + on block

Jax: Armored Launcher (Overhead Dash Punch), unsafe. EN Gotcha Grab in the corner is safe on block, but a crouchable attack out of certain strings

Sonya: No armored launcher

Kenshi: Armored Launchers (EN Rising Karma, EN Sickle Lift, EN Rising Sword, EN Spinning Blade, EN Tele-Suspend), only EN Sickle Lift and EN Rising Spinning Blade are even close to safe at -10

Kitana: Armored Launcher (EN Rising Blades), unsafe

Scorpion: Armored Launcher (EN Teleport on wake-up only), unsafe

Sub Zero: Armored Launchers (EN Frost Shatter, EN Crushing Hammer), Frost Shatter relatively safe at -10, Crushing Hammer relatively safe at -9

Mileena: Armored launcher (EN Roll), unsafe

Takeda: Armored Launchers (EN Fist Furry, EN Shirai Ryu Phase on wakeup only, EN Whip Assault, EN Whip Trip, EN Blade Summon), only EN Whip Assault and EN Whip Trip are relatively safe at -12 and -11 with pushback

Cassie: Armored Launcher (EN Getaway Flip), safe midscreen and unsafe in the corner

Jacqui: No armored launcher

Kung Jin: Armored launcher (EN Bo Spin), unsafe

Tanya: Armored Launchers (EN Tonfa Strike, EN Drill Kick), EN Tonfa Strike made safe at second hit, unsafe on launching hit

Predator: Armored Launcher (EN Scimitar Stab), unsafe

Shinnok: Armored Launcher (EN Charging Shoulder in the corner), unsafe. EN Hell Sparks launches and is positive on block, but has no armor

Kano: No armored launchers, armor attack that leads to launch (EN Kano Ball) is unsafe. EN Pump Up can lead to launch and is positive on block after many strings.

Johnny Cage: Armored Launchers (EN Nut Punch, EN Flipkick in the corner), unsafe. Safe duckable high attack in EN Shadow Kick at -4

Erron Black: No armored launcher, armor attack that leads to launch (Sand Throw) is unsafe, EN Sand Grenade launches and is +7, not armored

Liu Kang: Armored Launcher (EN Flying Kick > EN Bicycle Kick, EN Bicycle Kick > Followup), + on block, EN Bicycle Kick and EN Flying Kick are highs and the second half of the attack takes a second bar. EN Windmill Punch is a launcher to big damage in the corner, armored and unsafe.

Ermac: Armored Launchers (EN Teleport on wakeup only, EN Tele Choke), unsafe

Kotal Khan: Armored Launcher (EN Overhead Blade), unsafe

Reptile: Armored Launcher (EN Klaw Swipe), unsafe. EN Invisibility can lead to a launch and is positive on block after many strings

Ferra/Torr: Armored Launcher (EN Torr Up), mildly safe at -7

D’Vorah: No armored launcher

Raiden: Armored Launchers (EN Vicinity Blast, EN Shocker, EN Rising Thunder), only EN Vicinity Blast is safe at 0 frames

Quan-Chi: Armored Launcher (Portal Scoop), unsafe. EN Ground Burst launches and is + on block

Goro: Armored Launchera (EN Punchwalk EN Fang Spin), safe at -4 and -3, respectively

Tremor: Armored Launchers (EN Down Krystal Shatter, EN Stone Smash Down, EN Stone Smash Up), EN Down Krystal Shatter is +5 on block

So, in the end, who as advantaged armored launchers? Liu Kang, for two bars, Tremor, and that appears to be all. Many characters are safe after armor, but in the high negatives. Most attacks that lead to launch are not armored, and possibly + on block, but not all. The game is run by this tactic, in their eyes, but appears to not actually have much of it at a high level. This makes the Kenshi Community’s justification spotty at best, and malicious at worst.

Unsolved Mysteries recommends that the parties involved in the rumors apologize for their misinformation spreading, and further users of TestYourMight.com to be aware of the clowns who spread this misinformation. Unsolved Mysteries is here for this particular reason.

If anyone out there has any clues or suggestions for new Unsolved Mysteries, PM King Hippo on TYM. He will alert the team and get them right on it.

That’s all for tonight. Just remember, for every solved mystery out there, there remains an Unsolved Mystery

Attachments

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
There's one you missed. Which is actually the ONLY + on block armored launcher:

Tremor's EX low crystal in Crystalline. +5 on block, 21f startup I think.

That's it. The only one in the game. Which, honestly, I don't know why it's plus on block.

Thank you for creating this thread. I was going to mention it when I read the Kenshi thread but then decided: fuck it.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@KingHippo i haven't posted my suggestions for kenshi changes but I assure you they're not including armored launcher

My #1 complaint that you hear from me is SAFE PLUS ON BLOCK Launchers. MOVES W NO CONSEQUENCE. THESE ARE MOVES THAT SAY "yo bro u guessed incorrectly? It's cool here's some +frames for your trouble so go guess again"

Kenshi is one of the few who doesn't have this, there's actually a real consequence for when he wants to try and mix someone up or start pressure or hell even zone

Make that particular list/thread and then we can talk, this thread is farmed from 2-3 people not the Kenshi players putting in tons of work day in and day out

OP was a fun read

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
@KingHippo i haven't posted my suggestions for kenshi changes but I assure you they're not including armored launcher

My #1 complaint that you hear from me is SAFE PLUS ON BLOCK Launchers. MOVES W NO CONSEQUENCE. THESE ARE MOVES THAT SAY "yo bro u guessed incorrectly? It's cool here's some +frames for your trouble so go guess again"

Kenshi is one of the few who doesn't have this, there's actually a real consequence for when he wants to try and mix someone up or start pressure or hell even zone

Make that particular list/thread and then we can talk, this thread is farmed from 2-3 people not the Kenshi players putting in tons of work day in and day out

OP was a fun read
I've listed in my OP if they have a + on block move that leads to launch even if it's armored, and it's very few. When you say things like "the few" that don't have them, then you're creating this false narrative that almost every character in the game has one of these moves. That couldn't be further from the truth, and you know it.

Pig Of The Hut

I've listed in my OP if they have a + on block move that leads to launch even if it's armored, and it's very few. When you say things like "the few" that don't have them, then you're creating this false narrative that almost every character in the game has one of these moves. That couldn't be further from the truth, and you know it.
Top of my head @KingHippo
Tremor
Erron
Quan
Dvorah
Shinnok
Predator
Jaqui
GORO
Cage SD
KANO
Takeda

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Top of my head @KingHippo
Tremor
Erron
Quan
Dvorah
Shinnok
Predator
Jaqui
GORO
Cage SD
KANO
Takeda
If you are talking about Vortex Swarm and Puddle, c'mon man. In pressure you can armor, backdash or use any advancing normal or special. Hell you can even jump out of it. Not to mention it can only be combo'd into off of one string. Mid to full screen it's used as a counter zoning tool.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Anyway, should Ermac's EX Choke in Mystic really count as a launcher? Unless there was a stealth I legit didn't notice I don't think you get a follow up after it and does 13%(?) by itself.

Yeh, I know he knows. That's why I didn't quote him, but I know some people will read that and be like OMG kung lao has a + on block armored move!?
That's true, fair enough.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If you are talking about Vortex Swarm and Puddle, c'mon man. In pressure you can armor, backdash or any advancing normal or special. Hell you can even jump out of it. Not to mention it can only be combo'd into off of one string. Mid to full screen it's used as a counter zoning tool.
I was assuming he was talking about D'Vorah being at adv. after SQ cancels into a mixup.

Can't be talking about throwing bugs lol.

Pig Of The Hut

If you are talking about Vortex Swarm and Puddle, c'mon man. In pressure you can armor, backdash or use any advancing normal or special. Hell you can even jump out of it. Not to mention it can only be combo'd into off of one string. Mid to full screen it's used as a counter zoning tool.
How + is it on block