What's new

TYM's Hot Topic of the Week: Do we ban Scorpion from tournament play?

Should Scorpion be banned from tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate to say it since I really like scorpion I believe he's terrible for this game on a competitive level. The thing that injustice did for the NRS community (I use NRS as a synonym for MK) was bring in a shitload of talented players from other fighting game communities. Now it's one thing to irritate those players by throwing MK content into DC lore but it's entirely another thing to throw him in as the most dominate character in the game. To me they are all fake characters so their lore is pretty arbitrary but I can totally see people getting salty with this scenario and subsequently leaving the community because of it.

So what we have at risk here is losing the momentum that Injustice brought by bringing multiple communities together and popularizing their brand name, just seeing the looks on some of the people who have lost to scorpion tells a story of players standing on their last leg of tolerance. We also risk losing spectatorship, sponsors etc. because scorpion matches are a bore to watch. So as much as PerfectLegend pushes people to embrace and encourage a more mainstream fighting game scene backed by sponsors he directly refutes it by abusing a character that deters that type of scenario.

All of that said, in the non competitive scene I think scorpion is great. I think he brings a lot of hype to the game and NRS still see's plenty of success and sales because of him.

GrundyFox

I will spit on your tomb!
As much as I hate to say it since I really like scorpion I believe he's terrible for this game on a competitive level. The thing that injustice did for the NRS community (I use NRS as a synonym for MK) was bring in a shitload of talented players from other fighting game communities. Now it's one thing to irritate those players by throwing MK content into DC lore but it's entirely another thing to throw him in as the most dominate character in the game. To me they are all fake characters so their lore is pretty arbitrary but I can totally see people getting salty with this scenario and subsequently leaving the community because of it.

So what we have at risk here is losing the momentum that Injustice brought by bringing multiple communities together and popularizing their brand name, just seeing the looks on some of the people who have lost to scorpion tells a story of players standing on their last leg of tolerance. We also risk losing spectatorship, sponsors etc. because scorpion matches are a bore to watch. So as much as PerfectLegend pushes people to embrace and encourage a more mainstream fighting game scene backed by sponsors he directly refutes it by abusing a character that deters that type of scenario.

All of that said, in the non competitive scene I think scorpion is great. I think he brings a lot of hype to the game and NRS still see's plenty of success and sales because of him.

This is true for me on certain levels. Not the talented player part but as a person who never cared for the MK series. I have always been a capcom guy - 20+ years of being a company man (the hell is my pension). I down loaded MK9 for free on playstation+ and really enjoyed the story mode but would never have actually used my own money for it. When I heard about injustice, read about what they were adding into the game (such as no block button, cross ups, etc) I decided I would purchase my first NRS game.

This game did bridge the gap for me.

But Scorpion... ffs...

CRUM

Noob
Unless someone has some hidden tech about how to deal with that teleport, I believe the character should be banned. There's nothing more to say on the issue. Pig, Tom, REO, and M2dave spoke about it in their podcast, and Tom's reasoning is nothing short of perfect.

Winterfell

Zatanna for DLC!
it's basically a spot where Power characters rule because of the drones that keep coming, they home onto you, and the blast radius is huge so people have to be on point to dodge it. Gadget characters really get nothing out of it.

ROFLMFAO! How can anyone take this thread/situation seriously, when you're over reacting about Kabal winning so many tournaments from so many different players.

I don't recall top 8 in tons of tournaments being filled with Kabal. As many times as players defended MK and said, "look our top 8s always have a variety of characters". And the only person to consistently win tournaments with Kabal is REO (honorable Kabals are Kevo, LulzLou, MichaelAngelo, Soonk, and Warda when he played...but only Kevo has won a major with Kabal IIRC).

The only person to play Scorpion in Injustice "EFFECTIVELY" and be beat players to the point they complain...is REO.

MAYBE REO IS THAT GOOD AND BETTER OF A PLAYER. Consistency is important. As a Sheeva main, the ONLY Kabal I fear is REOs.

Maybe you should hold off banning a character until, there's some universal consistent tournament wins from Scorpion. Instead of assuming shit.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
I cant believe that there is 119 People who dont see that scorpion is a character that needs drastic changes before being classed as viable. That's Stupid as fuck.

we need to wait till after more tournaments. Not to mention if people actually abuse the "Supposivley brocken"(scorpion/metropolis) stuff it will give nrs incentive to address them.

GrundyFox

I will spit on your tomb!
They should delete him and justify it by Scorpion into MMH.

It was just Man Hunter all along trolling everyone.

Have him say sorry and he'll never do it again.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Banning him would be in everyone's best interest. The way games grow and have more competitive players appear is by making information available. After learning combos and reading theory fighting here, I didn't get proficient until I started watching matches by top players and stealing tech. Scorpion not only prevents characters from being used (who would inspire other players and stream monsters), but when other characters are used they don't get to play to their strengths since the entire stage is one giant vortex. Also scorpion had ambiguous resets that are out of place for a game without a tech button.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
ROFLMFAO! How can anyone take this thread/situation seriously, when you're over reacting about Kabal winning so many tournaments from so many different players.

I don't recall top 8 in tons of tournaments being filled with Kabal. As many times as players defended MK and said, "look our top 8s always have a variety of characters". And the only person to consistently win tournaments with Kabal is REO (honorable Kabals are Kevo, LulzLou, MichaelAngelo, Soonk, and Warda when he played...but only Kevo has won a major with Kabal IIRC).

The only person to play Scorpion in Injustice "EFFECTIVELY" and be beat players to the point they complain...is REO.

MAYBE REO IS THAT GOOD AND BETTER OF A PLAYER. Consistency is important. As a Sheeva main, the ONLY Kabal I fear is REOs.

Maybe you should hold off banning a character until, there's some universal consistent tournament wins from Scorpion. Instead of assuming shit.
For once I completely agree with you

Benzo

Vic Stone
Are we just completely forgetting about Foxy Grandpa vs. PL? Or are you guys gonna sucks on Boon's tits and cry like normal?

Kiko

Face it, you're done.
I, for one, do see Scorpions design flaws but IMO, this game had been facing design flaws since day one. But it's only a problem since the top-tier characters are suffering from it.

Wrong. Top tiers are the only chars that can sort of handle it. Us lower/mid tier characters are the ones truly getting punished because he shuts down EVERY tool you have when you aren't crouching.

Like why should an MK character even have the right to do that in Injustice? I thought it was supposed to be unique not a scorpion tele fest.

Sasuga

Noob
Wrong. Top tiers are the only chars that can sort of handle it. Us lower/mid tier characters are the ones truly getting punished because he shuts down EVERY tool you have when you aren't crouching.
Yeah, some top-tier characters can handle Scorp the best but they are suffering from the fact that he is in the game. That was what I was trying to say. Now that they are suffering, it's suddenly not ok to have matchups this bad? Some characters can not handle strong zoning that well. Put these characters against Superman of Black Adam on metropolis rooftop. They get raped, but they get raped 'by the book' so it's fine?

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Instead of banning scorpion, nerf him into the ground. Make Kano look like a god compared to scorpion.

Tele leaves screen for 25 frames. tele hits in front, no tele in the air, tele hits mid and is -50 on block. mb tele is -5 on block. lol

I'd love to see the people playing him because "scorpion is one of their favorite characters and i can't wait to see your tears" use him after that. lets see the real character loyalty of the scorpion fans. like the people that showed their loyalty to kano, stryker, and sheeva in MK9. it'll never happen. he's here to give players with no fundamentals the ability to play injustice: scorpions among us instead of the game that existed before scorpion. I liked that game. This new game sucks.

Couple of points,

Hopefully now you back to block promoters understand why a block button was in MK9.

A block button didnt make the game "easy" it was necessary, you think scorpion is bad in this game, imagine MK9 without a block button where Scorpion can do 50/50 vortexs all day WITHOUT METER. I wish that was the case so I could just use my meter for breaker all day.

Scorpion was a bottom 10 char in MK9 (and for all intensive purposes weaker than his mk9 counterpart because in Injustice he has weaker damage and has to spend meter for 50/50) imagine how Raiden, Kung Lao, and Smoke would do in a back to block game?

capcom and SF people that said MK9 was easy compared to your games which dont have a block button. YOU GUYS HAVE ZERO RIGHT to complain about this character, and to you people I say DEAL WITH IT.

Is this a real post?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

People aren't complaining simply because of losing. If you think that, you have missed the entire point of what people are trying to say.

Also, Reo himself disagrees with what you just said, and explained the differences from Kabal. So if even Reo disagrees with your argument about Reo, it's probably a sign that the intent is different from what you thought it was.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I can't even believe this. I caught on to the SSB hype and went and joined the Smash Boards. I come back after the weekend to see this? I can not even begin to fathom what the living hell is the problem with Scorpion. What are people going to do when Zod comes out with his trait? Scorpion only has his teleport going for him. Everything else is shitty. They messed up his blockstrings by nerfing flip kick. His hellfire will only hit someone who doesn't know how to move forward/back. You block high against a j3 after anticipating a teleport. He is annoying. Very annoying. You just need to take the fight slow though. Want to know a broken character? Metaknight. Almost all of his moves have priority, speed, and range. His 1's cancel almost every other characters 1's. All of his specials have great recovery. He has a counter/parry. He has the ability to fly under the stage. His up air can be spammed to snuff anyones counter/dodge. He is OP. That is why HE is banned. You are telling me that you want want Scorpion banned because HE SPAMS TELEPORT?! That is pathetic. I guess I held some of you guys to a higher standard. I guess I figured you guys could deal with a spammed move. I thought you guys knew how to take the match slow. I thought you guys knew what it meant to capitalize on your characters tools.

You proceed to say that Kabal was broken for years. I think most top players think Kabal is overrated. Funny how all of a sudden he isn't just to help your argument that doesn't really make any sense. The Injustice community isn't necessarily the MK community. I guess I am hardly a part of the Injustice community anymore. I am sick of this whining. Go ahead and ban Scorpion because you wont "adapt". Half of you shove that campaign down eachother's throats. Funny how that doesn't work anymore. I guess if Scorpion is banned my one goal on TYM will be fulfilled. I will finally be able to say that the "adapt" campaign was fallacious. That is one good thing. At least there are still some people with some sense. I thought the poll would be dominate toward banning him.

It is funny that we should wait a few months before changing a few frames in a nerf. But it is ok to discuss banning a character within a month. When Injustice or MK10 launches... and Scorpion is banned. I will cry for nerfs everyday. Then I will explain how the community banned Scorpion so they can STFU. Lololololololol.

Too long didn't read?

BANNING SCORPION IS NO DIFFERENT THAN CRYING FOR NERFS. ULTIMATELY IF YOU BELIEVE IN THAT STUPID "ADAPT" CAMPAIGN AND WANT SCORPION BANNED YOU ARE A WHINY HYPOCRITICAL SCRUB. SCORPION =/= BROKEN. SCORPION = DIFFERENT PLAYSTYLE TO TAKE DOWN (Patience and actually learning the MU might help).

Status
Not open for further replies.