What's new

TYM needs to grow up

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
forewarned - this is going to be a long read, and a rant.

I have loved and will always love Mortal Kombat, but recently this community has turned me off itself. I think that is saying something, that a community born from MK can turn people away despite their love of the game.

I wasn't big into fighters before MK9. I have always been into competitive gaming, mostly FPS..I was CAL Main for CS 1.6 with a good opportunity to go premier back in the day when cal-m meant something. However I was what you would call a "jobber" or a "noob" to the FGC, but I have always played fighters and seeing the competitive scene for MK9 drew all my attention. Since then I have put all my 'gaming' time into NRS games and this community because I have loved playing them as competitively as I can. I joined this community a few years ago yet there have only been a few people who were cool to me and who I felt truly welcomed me to the community.

I hate that fact, and how now when I open TYM and all i see are threads about 'blowups' and 'how shit injustice is' and already 'how shit mkx' will be. Everything thing I see is negative and immature and I think it is a cancer on this community. I know it's (not everything) but it seems like this is the stigma nrs games have been given, and I think it is from this community cannibalizing on itself. When I first started playing and joined TYM I always wondered how this game and this community wasn't bigger compared with how much fun I had playing the game, but after being here for a while I can see why.

Maybe I'm jaded but I just hate to see a game and a community with great people get tanked down by such negativity. I also see this community vilify certain high-level players who actually care about this community and those who have been welcoming and helpful to a nobody (tournament-wise) like myself. It is turning me away from a (series of) game(s) I love and I hope it can change.

TL;DR - This is an emo post about my thoughts on TYM. I want to see this community thrive because I love the game and there are very good people here. I just think it is headed in the wrong direction, and I want to make a few people think about how their 'trolling' and 'blowups' can hurt this community and the game we all love to play.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I agree with you but i doubt it gonna happen.

Some people just like to shit on community because they think they're better, they know better etc... I never had anything against anybody here, i like to share and i don't pass judgment on others but when i see threads created by people like M2Dave when he just
bluntly states that the half of the community is fools / morons / wrong and he's right it's just beyond me. Not to mention P2W and so on... I really respect people like @GGA 16 Bit and @AK Pig Of The Hut he's actually the reason that i started to play Kenshi in MK9 and i like he withdraw himself from the "we know best community".

Anyway, you're right.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I know this is nothing new, and people will just call me butthurt, but I just wanted to say my piece and how I have seen things going in the last few years.

Oh look, another one of these threads.
Go ahead and ignore it. I just felt like putting what I have felt in the passing months into writing.

I agree with you but i doubt it gonna happen.

Some people just like to shit on community because they think they're better, they know better etc... I never had anything against anybody here, i like to share and i don't pass judgment on others but when i see threads created by people like M2Dave when he just
bluntly states that the half of the community is fools / morons / wrong and he's right it's just beyond me. Not to mention P2W and so on... I really respect people like @GGA 16 Bit and @AK Pig Of The Hut he's actually the reason that i started to play Kenshi in MK9 and i like he withdraw himself from the "we know best community".

Anyway, you're right.
Pig was one of the players I was talking about. He has always been cool to me, myself being a nobody (not tournament proven), even helping me with MU's and training with me. He is also one of the top players who actually cares about this community, yet the community still shits on him.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The thing IS, this is nothing new here on TYM. Over time you get used to people blowing smoke (no MK pun intended). It will happen and it will blow over, just roll with it man!
I'd actually say that it's nothing new to gaming communities, even competitive ones. In fact, TYM is significantly less problematic than quite a lot of such boards.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I'd actually say that it's nothing new to gaming communities, even competitive ones. In fact, TYM is significantly less problematic than quite a lot of such boards.
Dont get me wrong, I know this stuff happens in gaming communities, and I know you cant change that. It just seems like this community has grown exceedingly negative, and I hate to see it.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I get your points, but the way people act here shouldn't turn you off from the series. You play these games because they are fun, not because its community is sunshine and rainbows. Besides, this community is beautiful compared to many other video game communities.

As for top players, they'll still be playing and supporting the games. If they feel like contributing in the forums, they will. If not, they won't. Don't know why some people depend on them so much. They're just human.

I see what you're saying but it's not really specific to TYM. Unfortunately this happens with every game forum (at least in my experience). You always have your die hard fanboys, the haters and the trolls. Every community has their fair share of drama queens and big egos.

Players always whine and complain about something. But it's out of love for the franchise. Because they want MKX to be the best fighting game ever with a really long tournament life. It was no different in KI boards or any game really.

This community is bi-polar. It can make you feel like you're part of one of the best FGC clubs around or make you feel ashamed of being an MK or Injustice player.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I get your points, but the way people act here shouldn't turn you off from the series. You play these games because they are fun, not because its community is sunshine and rainbows. Besides, this community is beautiful compared to many other video game communities.

As for top players, they'll still be playing and supporting the games. If they feel like contributing in the forums, they will. If not, they won't. Don't know why some people depend on them so much. They're just human.
I know, I know. I just want the community for the series I love to become as big, welcoming, and competitive as possible, and I feel specifically that this community has a lot of cannibalism and inward hate, and that is a major roadblock to that end point.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
This community is bi-polar. It can make you feel like you're part of one of the best FGC clubs around or make you feel ashamed of being an MK or Injustice player.
This is wise, maybe that is the truth I have yet to grasp.

Last edited:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
TYM is a cool site, the forums are just filled with stupid people who complain about stupid things and insult other people for stupid reasons.
this "community" sucks but there are a handful of really cool people

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
WTF, how did you get to beating people up? Why do you have to take a reasonable conversation into the realm of violent hyperbole?

Most of the "trolling" that I see on this site is just people saying stupid things, inevitably including an unwarrented amount of jargon (because how else will the forums know that you are a "real" member of the FGC?).

E
I'd probably kick a few asses myself with how arrogant and vagina-like some of these barbies act :]