What's new

TYM Kommunity Project: An Open Letter to NRS Concerning Netplay

D

Deleted member 9158

I don't play online at all anymore. Killed it for me. B324, 4 trance for quan shouldn't ever drop, but it does all the time.

WATCHD0G

Noob
Look i love NRS and their games, but it is very concerning to me how consistently bad their netcode always is....what's even more concerning is the fact that while they seem to care about their customers....they NEVER ONCE address this issue at all almost like there is something they know that we don't. it's like they try to make us lose focus by showering us with DLC shit.

quite frustrating to be honest

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
The most frustrating thing about this and every other thread is that it doesnt mention the biggest problem with online.

Forget about input delay and the feel.

How about we demand a response concerning xbox one users not being able to play AT ALL for about a month?
They are currently doing what they can (lol), while not telling anyone about it (ofc), and hope no one will ever bother to ask them about it at EVO (god no !).

You paid for a NRS game. You expected for it to actually work online ? Shame on you mate. It's not NRS fault here, they do what they can, and they have been GREAT with the community (bring cookies at panels ?).

Jokes aside : good luck with that shit mate ...

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
Congrats, you are literally the first person to say there is a better option and actually suggest something.

That's definitely worth trying. If it falls completely flat however, the Evo opportunity where it's GUARANTEED to get noticed is completely missed. There is no possible repercussion that come from doing it at Evo that don't also come doing it your way, I'm not seeing why this is a better idea than Evo.

Negative press towards the quality of their game is what motivates them to fix the negative aspects. Just like WB did with Arkham Knight a few weeks ago. This will always have the repercussion of making people less likely to play the game until it's fixed however, and that's exactly WHY it works to make Devs fix things.
There is no possible repercussion that come from doing it at Evo that don't also come doing it your way, I'm not seeing why this is a better idea than Evo.

I disagree with this sentiment, there are alot of possible repercussions, from doing it at EVO that arent present in my option, for starters my option is one which we as a community decided to implement, all the people who would go to mine decided to go because they were unsatisfied with the netcode. Lets take this to extremes for just a second and tell me what is the better risk reward,

EVO Event

best case scenario: NRS makes a big statement that they are actively working on fixing the netcode and it will be implemented in the next patch, we didnt lose any new players, and the community see the MK community as an empowering group of players and finally decides they will have respect for us.

Worst case scenario: NRS not only does nothing but decides to no longer give pot bonuses, we put off alot of potential MKX players, the EVO team was upset that the MKX community decided to use their event to try to make a statement and pulls MKX out of the games they will host, and other members of the FGC lose even more respect for the MK scene for trying to push developers to make changes instead of focusing on the tournament, which is the intended purpose of EVO.

TYM host Online NETCODE awareness tournament:

best case scenario: NRS makes a big statement that they are actively working on fixing the netcode and it will be implemented in the next patch, we get alot of online players to join their first tournament and even if its riddled with lag we expanded number of players who have taken part in a tournament, it goes so well we decide to make an ongoing monthly online tournament and the community see the MK community as an empowering group of players and finally decides they will have respect for us, and other scenes start doing online tournaments to increase awareness about their issues

worst case scenario: NRS does nothing, very few players attend, people from other scenes laugh at the failure of our attempt, and continue to look down on the MK scene.

Again I dont think either extremes will happen, and I am posting as more of a thought exercise, but seriously if we are to do anything at EVO we really should get the approval of the EVO team before doing something as large scale as starting a chant about Netcode in their venue at their event after the grand finals of our game when other games are still being played, this isnt the MK Event this is a multi-game event and even if we are unhappy we should be aware that other people at the tournament dont care about the netcode, or even about our game and we should be respectful to them

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
Even worst, is the lack of progression the past 4 years. How do you NOT get better with time?
This. So much this. It's crazy to see MK get rebooted in MK9 with humble success, I remember thinking "just fix the netcode and you'll give capcom and the others a decade of stiff competition"
that obviously wasn't their goal. I also remember thinking "Boon's a proud man, there's no way he'd let "X" fall short, there's too much hype, end even more funding" ; as somebody who ordered Mortal Kombat 1 from a magazine, I'm still heartbroken that they allowed this title, X - nice and round beautiful 10th installment of mortal kombat, to fail. I support everyone's efforts, public outcry is a powerful thing, but PC is ded gaem already, and Melee is headlining evo. It shouldn't be that way.

Dear NRS,
MKX should have been the best fighting game out.

I think making noise at the tourney is justified, and I endorse it.

mercureXI

This. So much this. It's crazy to see MK get rebooted in MK9 with humble success, I remember thinking "just fix the netcode and you'll give capcom and the others a decade of stiff competition"
that obviously wasn't their goal. I also remember thinking "Boon's a proud man, there's no way he'd let "X" fall short, there's too much hype, end even more funding" ; as somebody who ordered Mortal Kombat 1 from a magazine, I'm still heartbroken that they allowed this title, X - nice and round beautiful 10th installment of mortal kombat, to fail. I support everyone's efforts, public outcry is a powerful thing, but PC is ded gaem already, and Melee is headlining evo. It shouldn't be that way.

Dear NRS,
MKX should have been the best fighting game out.

I think making noise at the tourney is justified, and I endorse it.
Well, good luck with that :)

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
And here we are thinking about doing something during EVO is a bad idea while we have this gem ready to crush NRS :)
I should change it to *name to be decided*,
and out of everything I said that is the only thing you take out of it?

I really want change as well and chanting could be a good idea but if we want to do something like this we should have done it at ESL which was MKX only tournament, doing something like this at a multi game event, is going to cause more bad than good 100%

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains

I really want change as well and chanting could be a good idea but if we want to do something like this we should have done it at ESL which was MKX only tournament, doing something like this at a multi game event, is going to cause more bad than good 100%
what is sad is many others on here are right, and they will throw that letter in the furnace, they don't care, we need to make them care. either its they can't fix it because they are only good at online arcade box games, or they know how to fix it and we are not motivating them... im down for anything... it has to be something drastic that will hurt them if they don't address it. simply put it has to cost them money and shake their world... we all here should find a way to do this. because a letter, email, forum post is not going to change their mind, but forums can bring us together to get something done.

Slymind

Noob
It's suprising how things turned out, after they repeatedly talked about the faction system, and how they had agressive plans to online(esl for instance).

Heartbreaking, the game had it all, yet once again held back by an issue that is most likely not solvable until the next game(assuming they would get it right next time)

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
It's suprising how things turned out, after they repeatedly talked about the faction system, and how they had agressive plans to online(esl for instance).

Heartbreaking, the game had it all, yet once again held back by an issue that is most likely not solvable until the next game(assuming they would get it right next time)
it is very solvable this game they are just not pressing the issue becaus ethey made the sales allready... its bull shit, other games have redone the entire coding for smaller issues...

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Off topic but...

I'm still waiting for a new skin for Jacqui, my Kytinn waifu, Mr. Black, who's only other alternate outfit option is to dress up like one of the village people. Let me not forget about my Tanya with no classic.

Some more profitable... I mean... more popular characters have 7 skins, some have over 10. This alone speaks volumes as far a where NRS's priority lies.

$ChaChing$ All about dat dough!

Sad really.

Last edited:

mercureXI

I have to agree that doing so at ESL would have been way better. Can't argue against that. But can't go back in time now.

I have to admit they have some balls, having online cups for ESL, with such a netcode.

NRS is most likely laughing all the way to the bank.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Can we get people who are attending evo to take this with them? Have a majority of players give NRS the OP in physical form. Even if they know that there online is a mess they need to really see how big of a deal it is. People would like to practice online instead of having to travel to east or west coast to actually experience the game. That is not feasible for a lot of people. Xbox players can't even play at all. So that plus no scene and I don't see a reason to even continue playing the game.

This thread means nothing if we can't ensure that someone had the ability to read this. Everyone can tell me they know but 7 years of making a game and for it to still lag behind others in the genre is ridiculous. (I'm giving mk9 2 years of dev time before release.)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
These guys say they want a better netcode but bitch out when they hear they might have to make NRS look bad to do it.

We ain't fuckin making em look bad, they are making them look bad, we just trying to get people to look AT THEM so they will have motivation to fix it.

Pulling their support from TYM (assuming this could possibly be more non-existent) doesn't fix bad PR. Pulling out of events doesn't fix their bad PR. Fixing the netcode fixes the bad PR. Trying to squash their own competitive scene doesn't fix their bad PR, it just hurts their wallets even further.

People gotta stop worrying about WB / NRS getting mad at us like they gonna punish us for being bad kid or some shit. WB is billionaires, they aren't in the business of making friends, they are in the business of making money, fixing the bad PR makes money, cutting your cash flow off at the wrists just cause they're "bitter" does not.

This thread will get absolutely no results towards the netcode. There is already threads about people saying they want it fixed. Wrapping it up in a polite little parcel for them isnt any more motivating financially then doing it the other way, probably even less so.

It just shows them what a bunch of bitches this community actually is and how WILLING we actually are to do absolutely nothing. If they DO read these forums, they now officially know beyond any shadow of a doubt, they never have to worry about us causing any bad PR for them bout the netcode because we are too scared of losing their "friendship", thus, the netcode will never be anything but the cheapest thing that let's them write "multiplayer online!" on the back of the case.
I ask you this...

Who would you rather help out? The little bitch kid that's throwing a hissy fit b/c he can't go get ice cream or the kid that asks nice and politely to go get some ice cream?

Sure as fuck ain't gonna be the first one.

All running around screaming like an idiot is gonna do is make you look like said idiot.