What's new

Top 5 Overrated/Bill of Goods variations

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Much like the underrated thread here (http://testyourmight.com/threads/top-5-under-rated-slept-on-variations.55551/#post-1872807), I thought we would discuss about the variations that won't live up to the hype or have been talked up but yet to deliver.

Here is my top 5:

Mournful Kitana (The new Killer Frost. I am calling it. Learn the matchup ffs.)

Kenjutsu Kenshi (If F2 was slightly quicker I would pick someone else...)

Stunt Double Johnny Cage (The frame traps and damage are nice, but the Mimic cooldown is not.)

Marksman Erron Black (Sacrifices two good armored moves for a safe 50-50 might be too respectful.)

Flame Fist Liu Kang (Because Dragon's Fire is a bigger "flavor of the month.")

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
The only variation that really belongs on your list is Flame Fist Liu Kang, every other variation is slightly worse or just as good as that character's best. I also think Kenjutsu and SD are the best variations for those two characters.

That being said
1. Cybernetic Kano
2. War God Kotal Kahn(or the character in general)
3. Flame Fist Liu Kang

And that's all of I can think of now.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Marksman Erron Black (Sacrifices two good armored moves for a safe 50-50 might be too respectful.)
If we're talking strictly armored moves, then EX Slide has better utility than EX Stab. EX Sand maybe, but Takeda players aren't exactly fist pumping Lasher over Shirai Ryu and Ronin because of the armored launchers it gains.

Heck, by this exact logic, Flame Fist WOULD be better than Dragon's Fire. Come on man lol....

Anyway, here's what I'd say... and all of these variations have been actively seen in practice.

1. Bojutsu Kung Jin - if you're a Kung Jin loyalist and need some harder hitting armor and better meterless conversions to work with, sure, it might come in handy, otherwise, people jumped the gun tenfold on this variation.

2. Summoner Quan Chi - Gives you the worst defensive options of all variations just to add a fisher price factor to what is already a fundamentally strong 50/50 game in all variations. Yet we still see persistent requests to make the bat cause a knockdown, become a mid etc. With no compensation.

3. Stunt Double Cage - May yet prove it's worth for some matchups, but at the moment, is mostly being played as if it's supposed to be A-List for dummies.

4. Grandmaster Sub-Zero - for the record, this is almost certainly Sub's best variation right now, the problem is, even if Cryomancer and Unbreakable get buffed to the moon in the next patch and gain utility undeniably superior to Grandmaster, as long as Ice Clone remains Grandmaster exclusive, the majority just can't be pleased.

5. Bone Shaper Shinnok - When his projectile is claimed to be plus on block up close, his armored launcher is claimed to have 2 hits of resistance, and most recently his overhead is claimed to be safe based on universal game mechanics that effect multiple normals across the game (there's probably tons of other generally laughable conspiracy theories I'm forgetting about too), there ain't two ways about it, it has to make a "bill of goods" list by default.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
If we're talking strictly armored moves, then EX Slide has better utility than EX Stab. EX Sand maybe, but Takeda players aren't exactly fist pumping Lasher over Shirai Ryu and Ronin because of the armored launchers it gains.

Heck, by this exact logic, Flame Fist WOULD be better than Dragon's Fire. Come on man lol....

Anyway, here's what I'd say... and all of these variations have been actively seen in practice.

1. Bojutsu Kung Jin - if you're a Kung Jin loyalist and need some harder hitting armor and better meterless conversions to work with, sure, it might come in handy, otherwise, people jumped the gun tenfold on this variation.

2. Summoner Quan Chi - Gives you the worst defensive options of all variations just to add a fisher price factor to what is already a fundamentally strong 50/50 game in all variations. Yet we still see persistent requests to make the bat cause a knockdown, become a mid etc. With no compensation.

3. Stunt Double Cage - May yet prove it's worth for some matchups, but at the moment, is mostly being played as if it's supposed to be A-List for dummies.

4. Grandmaster Sub-Zero - for the record, this is almost certainly Sub's best variation right now, the problem is, even if Cryomancer and Unbreakable get buffed to the moon in the next patch and gain utility undeniably superior to Grandmaster, as long as Ice Clone remains Grandmaster exclusive, the majority just can't be pleased.

5. Bone Shaper Shinnok - When his projectile is claimed to be plus on block up close, his armored launcher is claimed to have 2 hits of resistance, and most recently his overhead is claimed to be safe based on universal game mechanics that effect multiple normals across the game (there's probably tons of other generally laughable conspiracy theories I'm forgetting about too), there ain't two ways about it, it has to make a "bill of goods" list by default.
Good lord, you really should put a trigger warning on this post.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
1. Full Auto Jacqui. Even disregarding her machine gun she's still overrated.
2. Hollywood Cassie. I don't think it's a top 5 variation, not with Bone Shaper, HQT & Hunter, Tempest Lao and Dragon's Fire still being the way they are right now.
3. Grandmaster Sub Zero. I personally think Cryomancer is actually his best variation and people just haven't worked with it enough yet because clone so broke y'all but we'll see.
4. Flame Fist. There are huge gaps we haven't seen people take advantage of, the chip is good but useless if you can just interrupt almost everything he cancels into it lol.
5. This is a hard one because I can't think of a 5th one myself but just to fit 5 I'm going to say Bone Shaper Shinnok. People still aren't punishing B3 on block nor even labbing to see if they can find a consistent way to get around hell sparks for a start. It's clearly possible to avoid them by jumping at the right time as we've seen sometimes before, why has noone figured out the right time yet?

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Covert ops Sonya
Heavy weapons Jax
War God Kotal Khan
Bojutsu Kung Jin
Boneshaper Shinnok

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
4. Flame Fist. There are huge gaps we haven't seen people take advantage of, the chip is good but useless if you can just interrupt almost everything he cancels into it lol.
It's like the guessing game of Batgirl's cartwheel, some people play more carefully than the other
I tell you why: poking with d1 (usually fastest poke of many chars) and using armored reversal can get hit parried for 13%. Poking with d3 d4 is usually slower and sometimes trades with low fire ball/dragon roar. Or some people don't like waste a full combo punish opportunity after Liu cancels it into low fireball/dragon kick/parry so they just block the whole things and Liu does the dragon roar
Also some characters have better tools to deal with WP cancel (Kitana's reversal rising blades fuck everything after WP) and some have none (what the hell can Jacqui do about it?)

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
How is mournful overrated when no one uses it lol.

If anything, it's underrated.
All these variations that no one uses...

...are somehow overrated. Got it.
Cmon guys. You speak English. You know the difference between the words "rated" and "played". You shouldn't need to ask these questions.

My top 5 overrated, in no order

Mournful Kitana. This is one of those "better on paper" variations at surface level. RS is much better IMO

Heavy Weapons Jax. Ain't touching pumped up from my perspective but it's whatever

Grandmaster Sub. I mean he's undebatably in the bottom half of the cast, talk about premature nerf whines from people unwilling to level up lol

Outlaw/Marksman Erron Blac for my #4 and 5. The character is nice. But he's not Kung Lao, Predator, Shinnok, Tanya, Cassie, Liu Kang, Raiden, Dvorah, or Quan Chi. So he's barely top 10 at best, and that's being pretty rough to Sonya and Jax. I see people behaving like he's undeniably top 5 or higher, and I know it's because they lost to him.

I GOT HANDS

I personally think Cryomancer is actually his best variation and people just haven't worked with it enough yet because clone so broke y'all but we'll see.
Not a chance. I am very familiar with the variation trust me most Subs are. What the hell does it have that could put it above GM?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
It's like the guessing game of Batgirl's cartwheel, some people play more carefully than the other
I tell you why: poking with d1 (usually fastest poke of many chars) and using armored reversal can get hit parried for 13%. Poking with d3 d4 is usually slower and sometimes trades with low fire ball/dragon roar. Or some people don't like waste a full combo punish opportunity after Liu cancels it into low fireball/dragon kick/parry so they just block the whole things and Liu does the dragon roar
Also some characters have better tools to deal with WP cancel (Kitana's reversal rising blades fuck everything after WP) and some have none (what the hell can Jacqui do about it?)
Lol it's funny the community still thinks cartwheel is a guessing game, shows how little they've listened to the actual Batgirl mains over the years.

But back to Liu: I mean I would eat a fireball over a parry personally so I'd retaliate with a low starter or low poke into my own pressure, or even in some cases you can full combo punish him between the gaps with a standing 1 or something depending on what he cancels from and into. Also Jacqui has armoured reversals too, never mind the fact one of them switches sides...
Not a chance. I am very familiar with the variation trust me most Subs are. What the hell does it have that could put it above GM?
A safe (considering the pushback, at least on the majority of the cast) armoured launcher and F122 for a start.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
But back to Liu: I mean I would eat a fireball over a parry personally so I'd retaliate with a low starter or low poke into my own pressure, or even in some cases you can full combo punish him between the gaps with a standing 1 or something depending on what he cancels from and into. Also Jacqui has armoured reversals too, never mind the fact one of them switches sides...
Some characters have 8 frame standing 1 as fastest jab they will trade with dragon roar at the perfect frame, 1 frame slower they will get hit by the dragon roar. So low pokes is the better option for them but using d3 d4 means that if they try to interrupt the gap they won't be able to do full combo.
About Jacqui, her fastest armored reversal hits high. The other armored moves are too slow, I'm not sure if they can punish WP into ex shaolinferno (if they can't then using them is a terrible option). Not to mention Liu parry can rape all of them, and a whiff parry seems to be safe against Jacqui because her low starter is too damn slow

I GOT HANDS

Lol it's funny the community still thinks cartwheel is a guessing game, shows how little they've listened to the actual Batgirl mains over the years.

A safe (considering the pushback, at least on the majority of the cast) armoured launcher and F122 for a start.
A very reactable armoured launcher with a massive whiffbox. Not sure what's so great about F122 , I honestly think vanilla F12 from the other variations is better.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Yes it is, when people realize she's only scary in your face and realize she has to bulldog her way in to get her game started she becomes overrated
Oh damn i wanted to type "tier whore" lol
Not only she has trouble against projectiles, her close game mixup in CO can be blown up if people knows how to back dash

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Oh damn i wanted to type "tier whore" lol
Not only she has trouble against projectiles, her close game mixup in CO can be blown up if people knows how to back dash
yes and no b+1,4,2 will actually catch backdashes also i believe miltary stance 3 can catch people leaving immediately.