What's new

Top 10 favorite games of all time

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'd love to hear your thoughts when you do.

Same. For myself, I've got about 6 missions left and then I've completed my first playthrough of Gears Tactics. After that, everything else on my backlog are all replays. I want to do one more playthrough of both A Plague Tale titles, I need to playthrough Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition, I'm enjoying a Paladin run in Diablo II: Resurrected, I want to play Gears Tactics 2 more times, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, well, it never ends. Oh, and I technically need to play Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered "The City that Never Sleeps_ DLC content.

As I've said before, I personally find Sony's first party titles good games, but insanely overrated and no where near the second coming of Christ everyone makes them out to be. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is the single most disappointing game I've played in several years.
I think Spider-Man is very good when they actually let you play the fucking game and don’t make you do a terrible MJ “stealth” section, or forced walking section, or didn’t fill it with grindy Ubisoft open world crap. And it’s a shame too because I thought the story it’s self was really good and engaging, they just presented it in such a tedious way. On high difficulties especially the combat is very very good and I enjoy the web slinging too. I’ll definitely be picking up the second game but I’m not gonna be tricked again into doing the boring open world crap. GOW 2018 and Ragnarok have the Spider-Man problems but on crack, like the extreme on both ends. The combat is AWESOME, like some of my favorite in any game, but the story (in Ragnarok) is boring and pretentious. Like yeah dude I’d totally love to spend 2 hours not playing as Kratos, riding around on an animal slower than a turtle, collecting fucking fruit, in a God of War game. The combat is the only saving grace, between the brutal forced walking “interactive” sequences and combat, theres linear corridors and piss baby easy puzzles where the NPCs give you the answers 10 seconds in Like the developers need to get their head out of their ass, this is insane. I went back and replayed the original GOW and holy shit lo and behold, the story is way more impactful and meaningful than the supposed “mature” turn of the franchise, you can actually play the game, and are excited to see the cinematics when they show up. It’s an awesome game.

Sony’s best recent exclusive is easily Ghost of Tsushima. Very good combat, kind of like Sekiro jr, excellent writing, and actually engaging side quests. Uncharted 4 is really good too but a little too scripted, still a lot of fun and has a very likable cast of characters. TLOU 1 had mediocre gameplay saved by good writing, but it is definitely not as good on a replay. TLOU2 has actually excellent gameplay, but inconsistent writing (some very good and some very bad) which brings it down.

I’d like to see them revive Sly Cooper, and to see more 3D platformers in general. I like the gameplay of the new Ratchet and Clank but it’s too dull in the story, those games used to have actual clever and funny writing instead of the typical quirky redditor humor.

If you’re ever bored and have 20 minutes to kill, I like this video a lot. It explains the hypocrisy of old vs new Sony and GOW fans and how they have to shit on the old to prop up the new, when the old was always great, and GOW was always pushing boundaries for both storytelling and gameplay. I think it applies to most of the rabid Sony fans in general.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. I don't think it would be in my favorite 10 games, but it definitely is a great one, there's nothing like it.

As I've said before, I personally find Sony's first party titles good games, but insanely overrated and no where near the second coming of Christ everyone makes them out to be. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is the single most disappointing game I've played in several years.
I really liked Spiderman, but I couldn't agree more. I'm really surprised to see people pick it as one of their favorites, it's really overrated.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Easily. Iv only played the game 3 x though, once for each difficulty, but I bet I could name every encounter in the exact order because of how memorable and well designed every fight is.
I finished it probably 10 times already, it's THAT good. The only reason I didn't put it in my top 10 list is because OG Resident EvIl 3 is my favorite game in the whole series and I wanted to include one game per franchise. But Capcom absolutely outdid themselves with RE4 remake, it's a perfectly modernized take on the OG without compromising faithfulness to it, unlike what they did with RE3 Remake, sadly. I wish we could've had Separate Ways mode at launch though.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I finished it probably 10 times already, it's THAT good. The only reason I didn't put it in my top 10 list is because OG Resident EvIl 3 is my favorite game in the whole series and I wanted to include one game per franchise. But Capcom absolutely outdid themselves with RE4 remake, it's a perfectly modernized take on the OG without compromising faithfulness to it, unlike what they did with RE3 Remake, sadly. I wish we could've had Separate Ways mode at launch though.
I would have played it that many times too if I had the opportunity, it’s really really good. The only flaws imo are Ada voice acting, Capcom is greedy as fuck with day 1 DLC, and Saddler should have been more physically present like the OG. I preferred the humor in the OG but this game still had some, and I’m glad it had a different tone. The OG still stands on its own and both offer a great experience, which is why I listed them together as my #2 game.

And I agree RE3R was terrible. Nemesis getting called a bitch and fuck face 15 minutes into the game ruins any respect the player has for him, which is crazy cause they did so good with Mr X. In RE2R. Not to mention Jill was just not acting like Jill.

@Dankster Morgan I'm expecting this work week to be slow, so I'll likely have time to watch that video then.

For me, I found Marvel's Spider-Man did have a good story and a good representation of the character, but poor character development, okay gameplay (web slinging was amazing but wore thin after a bit. The actual gameplay, including combat, felt like an Arkham rip, but poorer, and with far, far more filler), and I have no desire to replay it. There's nothing here that I can't get from the Arkham series, and get it there better, except for web slinging.

I don't regret buying the game itself, but I regret paying full price, and I'm glad I never bought a Sony console. For me it'd be a waste of money.

I've posted before, but I saw someone else once write that Sony's first party titles have excellent production values, okay gameplay, and zero replay value, and I agree with this to a T. They're fantastic spectacles, but once you get past the glitz, there isn't much there. Again, not bad games, but not innovative.

Especially when every Sony title is a 3rd person action adventure, followed by another 3rd person action adventure, followed by yet another 3rd person action adventure, followed by a The Last of Us Part 1 remake or remaster, then repeat. Very little variety.

Speaking of The Last of Us, the story's okay, but I don't see how it's amazing. Zombie apocalypses are nothing new, and the game isn't even the first to do fungal zombies. There was a book that did it first, as I recall, and for games, Gears of War is the first to have fungal zombies that I'm aware of.

Not crapping on people who do love these games, stories, etc., but they're not for me.

I'm really surprised to see people pick it as one of their favorites, it's really overrated.
Yeah. I honestly feel that the character himself carries the game a good bit.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
@Dankster Morgan I'm expecting this work week to be slow, so I'll likely have time to watch that video then.

For me, I found Marvel's Spider-Man did have a good story and a good representation of the character, but poor character development, okay gameplay (web slinging was amazing but wore thin after a bit. The actual gameplay, including combat, felt like an Arkham rip, but poorer, and with far, far more filler), and I have no desire to replay it. There's nothing here that I can't get from the Arkham series, and get it there better, except for web slinging.

I don't regret buying the game itself, but I regret paying full price, and I'm glad I never bought a Sony console. For me it'd be a waste of money.

I've posted before, but I saw someone else once write that Sony's first party titles have excellent production values, okay gameplay, and zero replay value, and I agree with this to a T. They're fantastic spectacles, but once you get past the glitz, there isn't much there. Again, not bad games, but not innovative.

Especially when every Sony title is a 3rd person action adventure, followed by another 3rd person action adventure, followed by yet another 3rd person action adventure, followed by a The Last of Us Part 1 remake or remaster, then repeat. Very little variety.

Speaking of The Last of Us, the story's okay, but I don't see how it's amazing. Zombie apocalypses are nothing new, and the game isn't even the first to do fungal zombies. There was a book that did it first, as I recall, and for games, Gears of War is the first to have fungal zombies that I'm aware of.

Not crapping on people who do love these games, stories, etc., but they're not for me.

Yeah. I honestly feel that the character himself carries the game a good bit.
Agreed fully on the Spider-Man vs Arkham comparison.

I only really replay Ghost of Tsushima because using a different armor set, playing on the mode that is a 1 hit kill for player and enemies alike, and the fun of the combat make it worth replaying every so often. Not to mention it actually had good story DLC. I actually find the core gameplay loop to be very satisfying and doesn’t get stale. Could use a little more enemy variety, but it still has enough to keep it fun.

The Last of Us is far from original, to me the writing is just really believable and feels authentic in terms of Joel’s journey. It depends how you interpret the story. I think the emotional payoffs are good, especially for anyone who’s a parent or at least responsible for a kid. I’m in the camp that believes Joel did nothing wrong, so for me the game is made retroactively worse by a ton of retcons in part 2 and the second remaster (lol) that is there to demonize Joel. everything I said applies mostly to the original PS3 version which I consider to be the true version of the story. I think it’s like a 7 or 8/10 game with great character writing, a cool spin on the zombie genre, but not much more.

Sony is rightfully criticized for having “movie games”, which is why when an actual action game like RE4 Remake comes out, everyone’s foaming at the mouth because finally it’s not following this played out formula.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I really wish more people played Jade Cocoon 2 around when it came out. It was way ahead of its time. It’s kinda like if Pokémon had more strategy and was a console game, sorta like a modern day Pokémon Scarlet but the difficulty (and the game in general) wasn’t made for children. And, the graphics and animations were actually surprisingly good for when it came out and still look decent today.

But the only reason I ever even played it was because the game I went to Blockbuster to rent was out. So I was looking at the back of boxes of other games, as you would back in the day to see which game you wanted to rent, and I picked up Jade Cocoon 2 and it looked interesting. I had never heard of the game before, but this was also before social media existed and before the internet was anywhere close to what it is today. So if a game wasn’t already a well known IP, you probably either never heard of it or never played it.

Unfortunately, if you didn’t play it back then, I don’t think you could play it for the first time now and love it like I and my brother did. Even though the graphics and everything still holds up surprisingly well, it’s still a clearly outdated game. That said, if they had a rerelease or a remake, kinda like Demon Souls for the PS5, I think it’d do really well. But like I said, almost no one has ever even heard of the game, and the few that have heard of it, have heard of the 1st one. Which the gameplay is drastically different between the 2 and I played the 1st one after the 2nd one and hated it. And thus only played it for a few hours and then never again. Jade Cocoon 2 on the other hand, I wouldn’t even begin to be able to give an accurate guess on the number of hours I’ve put into that game. Like I’d say around 30k hours or something insane, but like I said, I have no idea.

I actually still play it from time to time. Like once every other year or so, I’ll play it for a couple of weeks. Same with the game “Enchanted Arms”, which is another game in my top 10 that I feel similarly about. And Enchanted Arms was actually developed by FromSoft, aka the devs who made Dark Souls, Elden Ring, etc. But Enchanted Arms was nothing like any of their other games, as it was a turn based RPG. But I’ve put a ton of hours into that game as well. And would have so much more if it had a NG+ feature.

Ghost of Tsushima
I've heard nothing but great things about this title. If it does ever hit PC, and assuming my system can play it, I'd be interested in checking it out.

I actually find the core gameplay loop to be very satisfying
This is what I personally love about Microsoft's first party titles. They may have polish issues and launch buggier, but their core gameplay loops are generally phenomenal and I want to keep replaying the games because they're that fun to play. I also like that they have a variety of genres for their first party titles, as well as Multi in most of them.

... so for me the game is made retroactively worse by a ton of retcons in part 2 and the second remaster (lol)
Since I haven't followed the series, I didn't know retcons where made. Can you elaborate? I take it the show is more based on retcon Joel?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I've heard nothing but great things about this title. If it does ever hit PC, and assuming my system can play it, I'd be interested in checking it out.

This is what I personally love about Microsoft's first party titles. They may have polish issues and launch buggier, but their core gameplay loops are generally phenomenal and I want to keep replaying the games because they're that fun to play. I also like that they have a variety of genres for their first party titles, as well as Multi in most of them.

Since I haven't followed the series, I didn't know retcons where made. Can you elaborate? I take it the show is more based on retcon Joel?
Definitely, I hope you get to play Ghost. It was a PS4 game so I’m assuming your PC can run it like a champ if it ever makes it to PC.

And I agree about Microsoft stuff, Halo Infinite at launch (it’s actually pretty good now) wasn’t suuuper polished, had a lot of copy pasted or lack of content, but the core gameplay is either the best or second best in the entire series depending on my mood, and that’s coming from someone who’s a huge 1 - Reach era fanboy.

The TLOU retcons that bugged me the most are these.
  • In the OG TLOU, Neil Druckmann himself said that Ellie knew Joel was lying at the end, but that she loves him enough to not make him say it, and that she knows he loves her, etc, and is willing to spare Joel from having to say the ugly truth because they both would rather have this life together. In TLOU 2, Ellie is completely dumbfounded to find out the truth, they even changed the ending in a flashback to where Ellie had a different facial expression so they could make it believable she was surprised to find of the truth. And Joel doesn’t defend himself at all when she tears him to shreds over it, even though the fireflies were about to cut her open without asking her.
  • In the OG TLOU, the hospital was dingy, poorly lit, and disgusting. The fireflies were portrayed as barely holding on, and the operating room it’s self was filthy and worn down. In TLOU 2 and remake, the hospital barely looked like it was in an apocalypse, it was clean and well lit. Neil also made the doctor who Joel kills have whiter skin, but let’s not even get into that. They also had the flashing lights be red in some parts to look more evil, in TLOU 2 when they have a flashback to this scene they add this grimace to Joel’s face when in reality he was desperate and terrified on Ellie’s behalf.
  • So basically Joel in the OG was killing a bunch of incompetent thugs who were gonna butcher his surrogate daughter in vain, without asking her, and Ellie knowing this in her heart, but not making her surrogate father admit it because she loves him too. Now Joel murders freedom fighters and apparently the most amazingly talented doctor of all time who can make a vaccine for a fungal infection which is fucking impossible, and stripped poor Ellie of her freedom and agency, and she is betrayed and devastated. These changes needed to happen or the plot of part 2 would make even less sense, and Bruce Straley who worked with Neil on part 1 and was equally responsible for the success of it as Neil left Naughty Dog after Uncharted 4. So then Neil could just do whatever the hell he wanted, and funny enough a lot of Neil’s ideas for the original that Bruce reined him in on because they were too silly and unrealistic actually made up major plot points for part 2. Go figure.
And as for the show, it mostly follows the retcon, but HBO Joel is so different from the game that I don’t judge it as harshly since it’s more of a reimagining than a straight up 1:1 adaptation.

Definitely, I hope you get to play Ghost. It was a PS4 game so I’m assuming your PC can run it like a champ if it ever makes it to PC.
Depends on what kind of enhancements they'd do to it. The latest crop of PlayStation first party titles hitting PC I wouldn't be able to.

And I agree about Microsoft stuff,
Yeah, I personally find Microsoft's first party titles are heavily underrated and crapped on, while Sony's are heavily overrated and praised due to their style of being specticles. Both platform's first party titles are generally good games in their own right with different sets of strengths and weaknesses, but Sony's gets far better press due to optics.

The TLOU retcons that bugged me the most are these.
Those are major character and motivation changes!

Zviko

Noob
I just got my PS5 3 days ago mainly for MK1 but the only other game I really wanted to try for so long that still hasn't been released on PC is Ghost of Tsushima and it's the only game I downloaded so far. I gotta say, this game alone might pay off the whole console. It's known for it's graphics so no need to lose words on that but also everything else. All the issues I have with open world games regarding traversing, exploration, progression, story, combat,.....this game nails it all.

I just got my PS5 3 days ago mainly for MK1 but the only other game I really wanted to try for so long that still hasn't been released on PC is Ghost of Tsushima and it's the only game I downloaded so far. I gotta say, this game alone might pay off the whole console. It's known for it's graphics so no need to lose words on that but also everything else. All the issues I have with open world games regarding traversing, exploration, progression, story, combat,.....this game nails it all.
Very nice! Did they enhance it for PlayStation 5?

skahwt

Noob
Fun thread. I think I responded to it five years ago but here’s my updated list in npo:

Mario Galaxy 2 - I pretty much like all Mario games but the past couple have been far too easy. I think MG2 got it right and every world is just packed with creativity

The Last of Us (PS4) - I generally don’t like story games but this one worked for me and the gameplay is good too. The multiplayer mode is incredible and rarely talked about

Doom Eternal - the opposite of a story game and just a fun, fast paced, demon slaying masterpiece

Returnal - like Doom Eternal, the focus is on gameplay, which is fantastic if you like twitch games. The atmosphere and graphics are great too

Warcraft 3 - my fave RTS. All the races are fun and I like the hero mechanics

Injustice 2 - my favorite NRS game. Varied cast, great graphics and just fun

Halo 3 - the highway level alone makes this game worthwhile.

Shining Forces II - first tactical RPG I played and it’s still holds up

Dark Souls - maybe not the best From Software game, but the first one I played. I was hooked by the brutal gameplay and loved the atmosphere (like Returnal, it made me feel isolated and in awe at the same time) and it’s approach to story

Resident Evil 2 remake - it was between this and the RE4 remake. I live the atmosphere and it was the perfect update as far as gameplay. They managed to keep the survival horror feel while updating the controls and mechanics. The Tyrant sections are perfect

I could do this again tomorrow and probably have a different list. Good thread

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I don't know if I have a top 10 of games I would play but there are certainly games aside from MK that I played tons.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Lost Odyssey - (This needs a remaster on all consoles) - This definitely feels like it should have been a Final Fantasy Game and was rejected. I think even people that worked on it originally left square to make it.
Super Mario World
Super Mario Galaxy
Guardian Legend
DCUO
Finanl Fantasy XIV
Marvel VS Capcom 2

Many of these open world games/stealth games I just don't have enough time or I start and don't finish because they are so long.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Fun thread. I think I responded to it five years ago but here’s my updated list in npo:

Mario Galaxy 2 - I pretty much like all Mario games but the past couple have been far too easy. I think MG2 got it right and every world is just packed with creativity

The Last of Us (PS4) - I generally don’t like story games but this one worked for me and the gameplay is good too. The multiplayer mode is incredible and rarely talked about

Doom Eternal - the opposite of a story game and just a fun, fast paced, demon slaying masterpiece

Returnal - like Doom Eternal, the focus is on gameplay, which is fantastic if you like twitch games. The atmosphere and graphics are great too

Warcraft 3 - my fave RTS. All the races are fun and I like the hero mechanics

Injustice 2 - my favorite NRS game. Varied cast, great graphics and just fun

Halo 3 - the highway level alone makes this game worthwhile.

Shining Forces II - first tactical RPG I played and it’s still holds up

Dark Souls - maybe not the best From Software game, but the first one I played. I was hooked by the brutal gameplay and loved the atmosphere (like Returnal, it made me feel isolated and in awe at the same time) and it’s approach to story

Resident Evil 2 remake - it was between this and the RE4 remake. I live the atmosphere and it was the perfect update as far as gameplay. They managed to keep the survival horror feel while updating the controls and mechanics. The Tyrant sections are perfect

I could do this again tomorrow and probably have a different list. Good thread
RE2R is fantastic. The shooting is fun enough to make shooting zombies fun and not just a waste of bullets which is a big problem with a lot of survival horror, just having shit combat. I also loved how Mr. X was incorporated. Mr X is chasing you gotta run, oh god there’s lickers on the ceiling, I thought I already cleared this hallway, DEAD.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
@Juxtapose Very interesting to hear re TLOU. I loved part 1 and thought part 2 was good. Where did you get this info? Curious to read up more.
I spent a little time trying to track down original articles and whatnot, but this Reddit post seems to have a lot of it archived.

And no hate for liking TLOU 2. I think it’s a fun game, a very polished and well made game, and there were some aspects of the story I thought were really well done. I have a lot more issues with the story than retcons that I will spare you, but I could go into those too. TLOU 2 does some things better than any other game iv played but I’m still hovering at like a 5/10 because of my issues with it. And to be clear the golf scene isn’t one of them, most of my issues start in Seattle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastOfUs2/comments/owyy51

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
  1. Perfect Dark
  2. Mortal Kombat (2011)
  3. Jade Empire
  4. Halo 2
  5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  6. Dragon Age Origins
  7. Mass Effect 2
  8. Splinter Cell: Conviction
  9. Killzone (Shadow Marshall Luger is bae)
  10. Borderlands 2
This needs to updated as I don’t know what drugs I was on when I made that list because it’s mostly wrong.
  1. Perfect Dark
  2. Fallout New Vegas
  3. Mortal Kombat (2011)
  4. Jade Empire
  5. Mass Effect 2
  6. Dragon Age: Origins
  7. Titanfall 2
  8. Cyberpunk 2077/Deus Ex Human Revolution
  9. BioShock
  10. Wave Race 64
Okay since I got an alert from all of you posting in here recently, I decided to analyze my 2017 & 2021 lists but honestly I'd still agree with 2021 me & I'm still not sure what drugs I was on when I made my list in 2017 (probably molly, I was bouncing at the time) but there's a 5-game similarity between the lists so the 2017 isn't all that bad. I'm going to give a brand new list with out using the 15 previously mentioned games & no fighting games.

So here it is:
  1. F.E.A.R.
  2. 007 GoldenEye
  3. Metro Last Light
  4. BLACK
  5. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic !! - The Sith Lords
  7. Mass Effect 3
  8. The Outer Worlds
  9. Gun
  10. The Witcher 1

Last edited: