What's new

Top 10 favorite games of all time

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Haven’t though about this in a while, but I guess it’s something along these lines

Fallout: New Vegas
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Disco Elysium
Mortal Kombat 9
LA Noire
Pokemon Platinum

no particular order except for FNV which is just the best

Last edited:

Agilaz

It has begun
In no particular order:

• Mortal Kombat 9
  • Resident Evil 2 (both OG and remake)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Silent Hill 1
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
  • Monster Rancher (aka Monster Rancher 2 outside of Europe)
  • Final Fantasy 8
  • Tenchu
  • Into The Radius VR
  • Hunt: Showdown
Honourable mention to Path of Exile which has taken up over 10k hours of my life, but I dont know if I can still call it a favourite due to a slew of questionable design/balance decisions in the last few years.

There's plenty of others I could mention, like Morrowind which is very dear to me, but this current list seems like the most accurate one based on my time spent playing and analyzing.

Plop

Noob
I'm gonna use the "One game per franchise" rule, otherwise half the list would be MK.

In no particular order (except number 1)

1. MK9
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Kingdom Hearts 2
  4. Street Fighter 2 (any version)
  5. The 7th Guest
  6. Street Fighter x Tekken (yeah i know i technically broke the rule, but shhh)
  7. Persona 5
  8. Resident Evil (original)
  9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  10. Wrestlemania 2000
Honourable mentions go to: Breath Of The Wild, Mickey's Magical Quest, Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, Paper Mario 100-Year Door, Addams Family (snes), Pokemon Red/Blue, Tekken Tag 2, Simpsons arcade, Luigi's Mansion

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I can order top 3, the rest is impossible.

1. Doom Eternal
  2. Nioh series
  3. Hades
Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus
TW Warhammer 3
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
Resident Evil Village
Resident Evil 7
For Honor
Noita

But by far the most time spent and what I'll remember the most has been in games which can't fit on the list because the experience was completely different. Mainly multiplayer with friends in games like COD2, COD4, League of Legends,....good old times.

Then all the sports games I've played a ton and still do some which don't fit either (Fifa games, F1 games,...) I'm also a sim racer so iRacing, ACC and of course all the Mortal Kombat games.
RE Village and 7 are good ones! Sekiro too. Village isn’t quite my favorite but it’s a great game.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
  1. Virtua Fighter: Fighters Megamix
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Injustice 2
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Sonic the Hedgehog
  6. Sonic 2
  7. Sonic 3
  8. MVP Baseball 2004
  9. ESPN NFL2K5
  10. Global Operations

No real order, just the games I remember having the most fun with.

Im sorta shocked I haven't already posted something here 4 years ago.

No particular order

• Half Life 2
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • The Last of Us 2
  • THPS2 (remaster is now the best version)
  • Quake (GL quake w/Quake Injector is now the best version)
  • TLoZ Majora's Mask
  • Dawn of War (with expansions)
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Quake is the oldest game on the list with modifications.

Majora's Mask holds the crown for oldest unmodified version of a game.

Splinter Cell: DA is my "I want to start a fight, this is the best game of the series, fuck you" pick.

Brothers in Arms is my "game you almost certainly haven't played but need to do so now immediately " pick.

The Last of Us 2 is my most modern pick

Soul Calibur 2 is my only fighting game pick because it's still the only fighting game I will go back to just for the single player

I didn't even actively type out Half Life 2 here. It just magically appears on every "top 10" game list. But I consider this to include Episode 1 and Episode 2

Honorable mentions: Pikmin, Portal 2

Somehow I forgot that one, that probably goes on the list somewhere too. Along with Bonanza Bros, and Comix Zone.
Halo CE is easy to forget because it's never as magical after the first playthrough. I really wish I could just erase the memory of it from my mind and play it "fresh" again. Like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" but instead of re-experiencing first true love- VIDYA JAMES

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Halo CE is easy to forget because it's never as magical after the first playthrough. I really wish I could just erase the memory of it from my mind and play it "fresh" again. Like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" but instead of re-experiencing first true love- VIDYA JAMES
I disagree honestly, I appreciate how perfectly balanced the combat loop is and how well tuned every encounter is each time I play it. Imo Halo 1 has the best balance between fair and challenging, every gun except the Needler is viable even on legendary. The only knocks I can think of against the game is the rocket launcher flood don’t have a visual or audio cue to make them stand out which will lead to BS deaths sometimes, and some re used areas (but even then the encounters are completely different to the point that if you’re actually playing at a difficulty to engage your brain you won’t notice). People say the story isn’t all that great or deep but I love it. It has a fun villain, great twist, Master Chief is enough of a character to be interesting but you can still put yourself in his shoes. The game is more about humanity’s perseverance and resourcefulness, while severely underpowered, rather than about Master Chief’s personal story, which is for the better. The combat and level design are timeless, and the AI is smart but predictable in all the right ways. Halo is legit a 10/10 game imo.

Geoduck

Halfasser
Unordered:
● Super Smash Bros (series)
● BioShock 1
● Red Dead Redemption 2
● Resident Evil 7
● Kingdom Hearts 1
● Super Mario 64
● Jet Set Radio Future
● Def Jam Fight for NY
● Banjo and Kazooie
● Tekken 5

Honorable mentions:
● Mortal Kombat 9
● Injustice (series)
● Pyschonauts 1
● Halo 2
● Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc
● Bloodborne
● Bloody Roar Primal Fury
● Resident Evil 4
● God of War 2
● Condemned Criminal Origins

I love video games :^)

Last edited:
@Dankster Morgan Great thread revive!

I gave this some serious thought last night, as I've been playing games since '83 and have played a lot of different games on a host of different platforms. Nailing down just 10 is very difficult.

For this list, I'm selecting games that have had major influence over me in terms of enjoying the hobby, but also that are still fun for me to pick up and play today, regardless of how old or not they are. If I own/play a remaster of the title, I'll list that with the original release.

1. The Ultimate DOOM / DOOM (1993)
  2. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
  3. System Shock 2
  4. Starcraft: Brood War / StarCraft: Remastered
  5. Halo 2 / Halo 2: Anniversary
  6. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction / Diablo II: Resurrected
  7. Mortal Kombat II (Arcade and Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
  8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim / The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  9. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox and PC)
Honourable mentions to Half-Life, Duke Nukem 3D, and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.

A few quick comments on my list:

• DOOM (1993) is one of the single most influential games in history, and is still a blast to play today. It is, in my opinion, the best game ever made.
  • The golden age of Blizzard Entertainment, Starcraft, Diablo II, and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and their respective expansions are one of the greatest periods of gaming in history. This was a several year period when every developer wished they could be Blizzard Entertainment; their games were that fantastic. Starcraft was the game I moved away from private modem Multiplayer and started gaming online. I sunk far too many hours into Diablo II enjoying different characters builds, and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is the first, and only, game I've competed in tournaments.
  • System Shock 2 set the style, tone, and atmosphere for survival horror and RPG/FPS that's still followed to this day. An absolutely fantastic title.
-Halo 2 was not only the first title in the franchise I properly played, but showed me that shooters could be properly done on console. I actually didn't get into the game until the later levels when you're playing as Thel, navigating the Flood infested Library. It had massive System Shock 2 vibes to me, and that got me into Halo and the franchise has remained one of my fav's ever since.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
@Dankster Morgan Great thread revive!

I gave this some serious thought last night, as I've been playing games since '83 and have played a lot of different games on a host of different platforms. Nailing down just 10 is very difficult.

For this list, I'm selecting games that have had major influence over me in terms of enjoying the hobby, but also that are still fun for me to pick up and play today, regardless of how old or not they are. If I own/play a remaster of the title, I'll list that with the original release.

1. The Ultimate DOOM / DOOM (1993)
  2. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
  3. System Shock 2
  4. Starcraft: Brood War / StarCraft: Remastered
  5. Halo 2 / Halo 2: Anniversary
  6. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction / Diablo II: Resurrected
  7. Mortal Kombat II (Arcade and Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
  8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim / The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  9. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox and PC)
Honourable mentions to Half-Life, Duke Nukem 3D, and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.

A few quick comments on my list:

• DOOM (1993) is one of the single most influential games in history, and is still a blast to play today. It is, in my opinion, the best game ever made.
  • The golden age of Blizzard Entertainment, Starcraft, Diablo II, and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and their respective expansions are one of the greatest periods of gaming in history. This was a several year period when every developer wished they could be Blizzard Entertainment; their games were that fantastic. Starcraft was the game I moved away from private modem Multiplayer and started gaming online. I sunk far too many hours into Diablo II enjoying different characters builds, and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is the first, and only, game I've competed in tournaments.
  • System Shock 2 set the style, tone, and atmosphere for survival horror and RPG/FPS that's still followed to this day. An absolutely fantastic title.
-Halo 2 was not only the first title in the franchise I properly played, but showed me that shooters could be properly done on console. I actually didn't get into the game until the later levels when you're playing as Thel, navigating the Flood infested Library. It had massive System Shock 2 vibes to me, and that got me into Halo and the franchise has remained one of my fav's ever since.
Gotta love Halo 2, best writing in the series and still awesome combat. It’s my #11 on my list. Love the Arbiter, he’s my second favorite gaming character after Sub-Zero. Should I pick up the System Shock remake? Iv never played any of them.

Gotta love Halo 2, best writing in the series and still awesome combat. It’s my #11 on my list. Love the Arbiter, he’s my second favorite gaming character after Sub-Zero. Should I pick up the System Shock remake? Iv never played any of them.
I actually have never played the original System Shock, so I can't recommend the remake simply due to ignorance.

I highly recommend System Shock 2, however. It was done by a different developer and roughly feels like a combination of Dead Space and BioShock.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I actually have never played the original System Shock, so I can't recommend the remake simply due to ignorance.

I highly recommend System Shock 2, however. It was done by a different developer and roughly feels like a combination of Dead Space and BioShock.
I love Dead Space and Bioshock! Will check it out when I get the chance. Still wanting to play Dead Space remake, obviously MK1 is gonna eat up a lot of my already limited gaming time, want to do another professional run on RE4 remake, do my yearly playthrough of Halo Reach - 3 chronologically, and do another playthrough for Red Dead 2 at some point. May pick up the new Assassin’s Creed if it’s not terrible again, and probably Spider-Man 2 even though I’m getting fucking sick of the pretentious Sony movie games (even though I like a lot of the Sony exclusives!). God of War Ragnarok and The Last of Us 2 just don’t respect your time at all as a player and are like I said, pretentious as hell.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
My previous post was 6 and a half years ago, so I think it's wordth sharing my new top 10 list since it's changed a lot:

1. Trails in the Sky 2
  2. AI the Somnium Files
  3. Catherine
  4. Beyond Two Souls
  5. The Last Show of Mr. Chardish
  6. Skyrim/Fallout 4
  7. Mass Effect 3 + DLC
  8. DmC
  9. Witcher 3
  10. Persona 5 Royal
  11. Life is Strange Before the Storm
Lots of people dislike Life is Strange or David Cage games like Beyond Two Souls: I am 100% the taarget audience for it

Also I recommend AI the Somnium Files to absolutely none of you

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'd like to give this thread a bump since it's been a few years. My list has changed a lot as I've played a lot more games and my preferences / what I value most in a game have changed. Be curious to see any of your guys' too.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Resident Evil 4 (2023 and 2005)
  3. Halo 3
  4. Witcher 3
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2
  6. Elden Ring
  7. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  8. Halo Reach
  9. God of War (2005)
  10. Batman: Arkham Knight
Arkham Knight fans represent

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Arkham Knight fans represent
City is “objectively” a much better paced game with better quality control, Asylum has better atmosphere, but Knight is a literal Batman simulator that even 8 years old is more modern feeling and looking than most games today. The Batmobile stuff doesn’t bother me because I play on knightmare difficulty where a fully upgraded Batmobile dies in 8 hits, and there’s no counter icon, Batman dies in basically 1 mistake during stealth, so it keeps me engaged.

Sheesh. All-Time? I'll stick to the 1 per franchise rule, I suppose.

1. Super Mario Bros 3
Literally my first Video Game I can remember, but I probably honestly like Sunshine more.

2. Mortal Kombat 9
The game that introduced me to competitive fighting games, close call with Trilogy for "favorite," tho.

3. Resident Evil 2
Started my love for Horror with the first game of the series, 2 is my favorite entry, the remake is great as well. I love 4 and, Code Veronica and the OG 3 as well.

4. Donkey Kong 64
All my friends loved Super Mario 64, and it was alright, but gimme da Gorilla

5. Marvel's Spider-Man
This game really makes you feel like Spider-Man

6. Tony Hawk's Underground
Best skateboarding game of all time. My teenage music taste, clothing style, and perception of architecture were defined by the Tony Hawk series.

7. Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon game where you do not have to catch ém all. The mini games are better than some full releases.

8. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Childhood defining Game.

9. Bloodborne
I love the Soulsborne series. I love the PVP side of Souls and Elden Ring, but if I had to pick a game out of that series to actually call a favorite, It's Bloodborne. The atmosphere is unforgettable and the gameplay is so slick. Chefs kiss.

10. WWE Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain
I considered all wrestling games a series and it was between this and WWF No Mercy for me. HCTP just has a better roster and is more modern. I pretty much love them both equally.

• Final Fantasy XIV (Shadowbringers)
  • Bayonetta
  • Nier Automata
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Kingdom Hearts II
  • Persona 5
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
This was tough, I'm sure I forgot things, and even then it's unordered cause I can't order this in good conscience lol

I love Dead Space and Bioshock! Will check it out when I get the chance.
I'd love to hear your thoughts when you do.

obviously MK1 is gonna eat up a lot of my already limited gaming time
Same. For myself, I've got about 6 missions left and then I've completed my first playthrough of Gears Tactics. After that, everything else on my backlog are all replays. I want to do one more playthrough of both A Plague Tale titles, I need to playthrough Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition, I'm enjoying a Paladin run in Diablo II: Resurrected, I want to play Gears Tactics 2 more times, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, well, it never ends. Oh, and I technically need to play Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered "The City that Never Sleeps_ DLC content.

... and probably Spider-Man 2 even though I’m getting fucking sick of the pretentious Sony movie games (even though I like a lot of the Sony exclusives!). God of War Ragnarok and The Last of Us 2 just don’t respect your time at all as a player and are like I said, pretentious as hell.
As I've said before, I personally find Sony's first party titles good games, but insanely overrated and no where near the second coming of Christ everyone makes them out to be. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered is the single most disappointing game I've played in several years.