What's new

The Smart Stuff - MKX: Prevent the downfall of the NRS community

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
This thread isn't even about the online.

It's about the whole nerf/buff debacle that goes on immediately after release.
Those debacles are directly related to the piss poor state of online play, btw. 90% of what gets bitched about in the first month is all related to the fact that NRS makes everyone online play in a pit of molasses. If online was SFIV/BlazBlue/SCV levels of decent, at the very least we'd be bitching about slightly more sensical stuff.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Those debacles are directly related to the piss poor state of online play, btw. 90% of what gets bitched about in the first month is all related to the fact that NRS makes everyone online play in a pit of molasses. If online was SFIV/BlazBlue/SCV levels of decent, at the very least we'd be bitching about slightly more sensical stuff.
That's a load of horse shit.

The things people are complaining about are not tethered to online play, but to the characters themselves. Not everyone plays online exclusively or mostly, and not every complaint is coming from online warriors.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

The things people are complaining about are not tethered to online play, but to the characters themselves. Not everyone plays online exclusively or mostly, and not every complaint is coming from online warriors.
A lot of the complaints are coming from offline players, as a matter of fact.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
OP about making NRS community not be lame.

Thread is full of derailing, opinions, and yelling.

truly soup is troll of trolls

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
REO "running through people" in an online tournament 2 weeks into the game's life proves that a character is good? I'm not saying Sonya is bad, I honestly have no idea, but we can't use such an insignificant sample as proof of anything either.
The fact that nobody knows a few weeks into the games life is pretty much the point though regardless how good or bad she is. This is why early patching is bad imo.

coolwhip

Noob
The fact that nobody knows a few weeks into the games life is pretty much the point though regardless how good or bad she is. This is why early patching is bad imo.
We really can't make such absolute general statements. Would anyone argue that Shinnok's buffs are bad just because we don't know enough about the game? I think we've known enough to know he wasn't good. No tech could have shot him up from arguably the worst in the game to top tier. Maybe (probably) some new stuff would have been found to help him but nothing major. The patches were warranted. Kung Jin being more unsafe helps. Raiden's damage was ridiculous. It needed to be toned down.

To be honest, we saw the patches and outside of the a few Sub Zero players throwing tantrums, everyone agreed they were reasonable. We can't say patching is bad without actually looking at what is being patched.

We really can't make such absolute general statements. Would anyone argue that Shinnok's buffs are bad just because we don't know enough about the game? I think we've known enough to know he wasn't good. No tech could have shot him up from arguably the worst in the game to top tier. Maybe (probably) some new stuff would have been found to help him but nothing major. The patches were warranted. Kung Jin being more unsafe helps. Raiden's damage was ridiculous. It needed to be toned down.

To be honest, we saw the patches and outside of the a few Sub Zero players throwing tantrums, everyone agreed they were reasonable. We can't say patching is bad without actually looking at what is being patched.
Being able to meterburn fireballs on block has made him really good.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

I think any changes in the game this early on are bad regardless of how obvious people may think some balance issues are. There's always going to be lower tier characters in the game, it really could only take 1 minor change to make or break a character and these decisions should be made after some time. My whole argument is to make sure you're not taking from one while another goes unnoticed or gets an unneeded buff. I think there's a ton of undiscovered things in this game and taking from one character can just lead to another character dominating later on. It can lead to the game being better for sure but I think there would be a better chance of that happening if they spent more time watching (more than 6 months) the game before making changes. This way people in the community will have time to really explore the game and find ways to fight things considered to be top strategies. This gives a much better understanding of the game and leads to balance changes that would most likely be better in the long run.

People may think the patches saved injustice and kept it alive but it could be the opposite. A lot of the competitive community was very turned off by all the changes in the game happening so quickly.

1) Stop complaining about characters being underpowered or overpowered.
- If you're playing casually, there's no point in complaining about who's good or not. You're playing for fun, my man.
- If you're playing competitively/to win, switch characters. There's no point in being a character loyalist if you can't (a) bring your character to its highest level of play, or (b) bring yourself to play characters that will boost you to the top with their tools.

2) Stop blaming the testers for everything.
-There's several posts concerning the Ermac bug saying "ooo who tested this game? What were they doing?" Everyone saw the bug on NRS' live stream and didn't say a word. However, when Kfrog found out how to execute the bug, everyone blamed the testers saying "It's so easy to find. How come they couldn't find it before release?" However, Kfrog found this bug. Literally no one else in the community found this, unless they were hiding it from the public. On average, there's around 1000 people viewing the site. So, 1 out of 1000 people was able to find this bug and share it with the public. How could such an easy finding get by with such great odds?

3) Don't blame the game for poor performances.
-Get good, my man.
A really good way to boost the NRS community is to actually NOT label it the NRS community. I've (personally) wanted to see a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat cross over for (at least) 5-10 years, and even Ed Boon himself voiced the possibility of this one day happening. I think TYM is (probably) the most well known fighting game web site, but it has some flaws only involving NRS titles. I'm also well aware of the fact that the web site probably can't include certain titles for sponsorship or other miscellaneous reasons involving financial dealings (just like any other business). But I think it'd be worth the time to make a deal to include other fighter games on the site. Obviously a MKvsSf crossover would do that right away.

Other than that, it'd be interesting to see some of the top NRS fighting game players jump over into other tournament divisions such as First Person Shooter, Third Person Shooters, or anything else.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.

That avatar.....

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
How in the love of fucking God can I stop getting spam emails from this site?

I mean fuck I don't even play these games anymore.

CoviellotheGreat

Online is trash and dumb to play.
Face it. You guys kill your community because everyone, even the "good" players whine and complain all the time about stuff being broken when you don't even try to figure out the matchup (Launch Day Subzero) , thus perpetrating the FACT that the NRS Community are made up of losers other FGCs didn't want. NRS kills its game communities by listening to all the stupid complaining and throws out patch after patch, making actual FGC players stop playing (You guys manage to get Justin Wong to play MKX, giving you the best publicity, and you sabotage your own game with the patches, way to go NRS) and keeping all the refuse.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
You guys manage to get Justin Wong to play MKX
He never cared about the game, didn't even try to learn BnBs or play to his character's strengths, so yeah.

and you sabotage your own game with the patches
Please show us how patches ruin this game.

"Real FG players" who are okay with lopsided matchups and pointless characters and preach adaptation, yet cannot adapt to changes themselves can go meet the kettle.

Last edited: