What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernoZ

Noob
is she high tier? Cuz some dude in a KOTH match was wrecking face the other day with her...
It's too early to say but I wouldn't bet on it myself, she does have some matchups skewed in her favour though. It'll be a harder match if you aren't using your character's best options against her flight and are unaware how to defend against her ground game, that I know for certain

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
lol a lot of her winning is due to most people not knowing anything about the character outside of "She flies and she's supposedly a girl." Once people understand how to fight her it'll be a lot less free, especially for the characters that are strong against her.

Speh

Noob
is she high tier? Cuz some dude in a KOTH match was wrecking face the other day with her...
Was that me? :p I'm on PSN at SpehSpeh. I know I've seen your name before on some PSN lobbies but don't remember if I've fought you or not. My last KOTH win streak with her ended at 37 :(

And yeah, I feel like a lot of the wrecking face going on right now is due to just inexperience with matchups. She definitely doesn't feel high tier right now but she also doesn't feel as low of a tier as everyone seems to think.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
lol a lot of her winning is due to most people not knowing anything about the character outside of "She flies and she's supposedly a girl." Once people understand how to fight her it'll be a lot less free, especially for the characters that are strong against her.
This is true...but she is so much more than just some character that can fly and fly away. She can compete on the ground plus her B2 mixups are great. HawkGirl players that show strategic/smart/ and fierce air execution are too be feared in this game...imo. Air mace throws, MC, and Stomp can all give experienced players serious trouble. NO ONE in this game controls the air the way she does...air spacing is so essential to the complete package with this chick. Just my .02 cents ;)

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
That's the truth, against people that don't know the matchup she's seen as god tier, but in reality once the dude knows the matchup (such as the batman I fought in those grand finals), it becomes much harder for us to open peeps up with her. It's not impossible though, just very hard. Imo she's gonna be mid tier at best, low at worst.

Dulllyanna

Not saying she's bad, but it's pretty obvious that most people don't understand her well nor how to properly punish her options, which is key to beating her.

She's heavily underrepresented. I think she's has one of the lowest post counts on this forum too. But yeah, as everyone else has said, she's mostly flying under the radar at the moment until people find out what she's capable of. Even when they figure what she's capable of, she has 3 other options she can do at any given point. People have a tendency to be mashing d1 right now to try to interupt your strings, but that only gives hawkgirl a WE2 or WE3 free hit, or a insta jD1.

regulas

Your Emporer
She's heavily underrepresented. I think she's has one of the lowest post counts on this forum too. But yeah, as everyone else has said, she's mostly flying under the radar at the moment until people find out what she's capable of. Even when they figure what she's capable of, she has 3 other options she can do at any given point. People have a tendency to be mashing d1 right now to try to interupt your strings, but that only gives hawkgirl a WE2 or WE3 free hit, or a insta jD1.

Underrepresented mostly cause she is just not the most popular character.

I mean I love her myself, but honestly I feel she is included in group material (i.e. JL content) more because she is an effective complementary choice rather then because people love her. A lot of the major characters are variations of other characters so including them can seem redundant, whereas HG has a very distinct style in almost every respect.

From what I have seen she will likely be one of the better characters, everything I have seen has shown that she has tools for every match-up, and a flexible style between rush-down and zoning. Her flying generally means opponents have to play around her rather then the other way around which is further promising. She is of course complex to master given the wide variety of attack patterns (which often vary very heavily with each match-up).

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
Was that me? :p I'm on PSN at SpehSpeh. I know I've seen your name before on some PSN lobbies but don't remember if I've fought you or not. My last KOTH win streak with her ended at 37 :(

And yeah, I feel like a lot of the wrecking face going on right now is due to just inexperience with matchups. She definitely doesn't feel high tier right now but she also doesn't feel as low of a tier as everyone seems to think.
Omg its SpehSpeh! I played one game with you last night before i rage quit. GGs!

HushoftheWind

When's GGA!?
What do you guys think they'll patch for Hawkgirl when Lobo is released next week? Hopefully the flight recovery is faster so you can do decent fly unfly combos.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Does hawkgirl have any weakness on getting off the ground? im finding it tricky to lay any sort of pressure on her when i knock her down, her wakeups seem to be safe on block and whenever i neutral jump or jump over her on wakeup the backflip attack catches me out of the air, i haven't been in the lab against her yet though mind, just going by the matches ive had against a few players.

is there anything i can do against her wakeups or am i just being a bit of an idiot?

What do you guys think they'll patch for Hawkgirl when Lobo is released next week? Hopefully the flight recovery is faster so you can do decent fly unfly combos.
I don't see her getting much attention. She doesn't have anything "broken", aside from the -55 on Mace Charge being incorrect. I would LIKE to have a better close-combat set of normals, such as 22 not being awful slow on start up and short on range. A lot of her strings hit high, which is annoying because everyone likes to crouch guard, but is also nice because jD2 is so fun to land 6 times in a row.

regulas

Your Emporer
Does hawkgirl have any weakness on getting off the ground? im finding it tricky to lay any sort of pressure on her when i knock her down, her wakeups seem to be safe on block and whenever i neutral jump or jump over her on wakeup the backflip attack catches me out of the air, i haven't been in the lab against her yet though mind, just going by the matches ive had against a few players.

is there anything i can do against her wakeups or am i just being a bit of an idiot?

From what I understand and have tried HG's wake-ups are one of her strongest tools, they are generally both safe on block and have decent amount of invincibility frames to boot. I would recommend maybe trying to get some distance enough to set-up a ranged punish to a wake-up?

Mace charge is safe on block, at least for now. It's "suppose" to be -55 on block, but it's no where near that. Wing Evade is a possible wake up option, but it can still be clipped out I believe with chaser attacks (assuming Hawkgirl doesn't do a follow up to it). I would imagine her "weakness" is simply jumping attacks after a knockdown. If you cross her up, Wing Evade likely won't come out and Mace Charge will whiff and should be an easy punish.

EDIT: I forgot to mention a "weakness" is that a large portion of her attacks hit high. Meaning ducking works great against her. Until she brings out the jD2 spam. So I guess it evens out?

regulas

Your Emporer
EDIT: I forgot to mention a "weakness" is that a large portion of her attacks hit high. Meaning ducking works great against her. Until she brings out the jD2 spam. So I guess it evens out?
Ideally I don't think she should be attacking high that much?, she has solid overheads especially WE2.

Hawkgirl's does have a very short melee range.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
If you're doing it right in front of them, no. If you do it in the corner, yes. If you do it off of a jump in after a knockdown, yes. There's lots of ways to use her jD3. Try getting the timing down for instantly doing it after a fly cancel. It makes it a very deadly up close instant overhead.
Adding to this, you can even get it off a simple d1 with d1xx fly d3

So I've seen people online and watched some videos on here of HG and.....If I may insert my 2 cents. WAY to many run away HG's. She has GREAT rush down. I don't think her trait is as good as everyone makes it out to be. People are just randomly flying around the screen throwing maces ha. One of her best things I don't see to many people using. EVADE,EVADE,EVADE. Goes through some projectiles and creates crossups, mixups, confusions etc. Anyways....I'm no expert but I just wanted to point out that the trait isnt as good as being displayed and...EVADE,EVADE,EVADE!!

regulas

Your Emporer
I don't see her getting much attention. She doesn't have anything "broken", aside from the -55 on Mace Charge being incorrect.

As a note given that the block on Mace Charge appears to be the same behaviour as (air) Mace Charge I'm guessing it is supposed to read -8 and -55 is only supposed to be on MB. (which it is for both moves)

As a note given that the block on Mace Charge appears to be the same behaviour as (air) Mace Charge I'm guessing it is supposed to read -8 and -55 is only supposed to be on MB. (which it is for both moves)
It's still not even -8. There is nothing that can punish a blocked Mace Charge except for Green Lanterns Latern Might, and even that isn't consistent.

regulas

Your Emporer
It's still not even -8. There is nothing that can punish a blocked Mace Charge except for Green Lanterns Latern Might, and even that isn't consistent.

It is -8, your forgetting about push block, basically even if someone does a 6 frame punish it will take a few extra frames for most attacks to hit because they are to far away, giving you just enough time to block, i.e. if you set AI Lex to Corps Charge, he will in fact start it before you can block but it won't reach you till after. That applies to almost any projectile.

That GL can do it is actually strange because his start up is 10 frames, which theoretically should be too slow to punish you...

Dulllyanna

So I've seen people online and watched some videos on here of HG and.....If I may insert my 2 cents. WAY to many run away HG's. She has GREAT rush down. I don't think her trait is as good as everyone makes it out to be. People are just randomly flying around the screen throwing maces ha. One of her best things I don't see to many people using. EVADE,EVADE,EVADE. Goes through some projectiles and creates crossups, mixups, confusions etc. Anyways....I'm no expert but I just wanted to point out that the trait isnt as good as being displayed and...EVADE,EVADE,EVADE!!
Because she has to get pretty much right in their shit to start a real offense, which isn't always easy since her approach is fairly shitty outside of evade 3 to get in (Which has really fast recovery but is still -), many characters have more damaging direct mixups up close, and it's not especially difficult to end up giving the opponent momentum, which is not something she wants when her average damage is relatively low aka eating 50 damage from a good Superman because he blocked divekick or sweep. Not saying she shouldn't ever go for it, but if you're playing Hawgkirl mainly to rush them down then you're playing the wrong character. Evade is great against characters that can't already keep her out and throw long range shit as their general gameplan, but its options can still be blown up with a good read or just strong horizontal space control. The more people learn how to punish her individual options and convert into as much damage as possible off random air hits against her, the smarter HG players will have to be with her tools.

while her good strings, start high.

she still has B2 mix ups, that you must respect if she successfully hits you with D1. (because it hit's mid and hits before the opponent can attack (assuming the D1 hit them).

Also if you're always ducking, your opening yourself up to MB f3. And it's not like her meter is much important for any of her other specials, most of them are just tacted on added damage. So she won't be afraid to use MB F3.

Status
Not open for further replies.