What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
D4, d4, d4. Nw has to jump at her or guess right to stuff d4 with f3. If I jump I eat a tele combo for 30% or if I land the jump kick to shoulder, I get 16%. It's just not a good trade cause it's about 50/50.

F3 just isn't reliable on d4 so approaching her is a pain...NW HAS to be patient to even stand a chance and even then...it's a grind to the end. 6-4 mileena.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
D4, d4, d4. Nw has to jump at her or guess right to stuff d4 with f3. If I jump I eat a tele combo for 30% or if I land the jump kick to shoulder, I get 16%. It's just not a good trade cause it's about 50/50.

F3 just isn't reliable on d4 so approaching her is a pain...NW HAS to be patient to even stand a chance and even then...it's a grind to the end. 6-4 mileena.
JK to shoulder? I'm pretty sure you can punish with quite a bit more than that, maybe a little bit harder to do but can't you JK, dash 1(x3 maybe 4 seems strict on the 4th hit) dash 122 shoulder?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I am pretty sure the NW and Sub match is a 5-5. I'd like to know why you think NW BEATS Sub Zero.

MOST of the Sub players just ask for silly shit.... and over react. Even I do at times, mainly after playing online (i know stfu i know!!!) and getting salty. But SEEING what he is capable of after patch ... I understand how you have to change up. The game changed BECAUSE of him (armor on everyone).

I want to know if Kano is one of Kitana's bad match ups.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I am pretty sure the NW and Sub match is a 5-5. I'd like to know why you think NW BEATS Sub Zero.

MOST of the Sub players just ask for silly shit.... and over react. Even I do at times, mainly after playing online (i know stfu i know!!!) and getting salty. But SEEING what he is capable of after patch ... I understand how you have to change up. The game changed BECAUSE of him (armor on everyone).

I also think this is a 5-5 but you basically just have to out turtle sub. Really slow boring match-up.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
JK to shoulder? I'm pretty sure you can punish with quite a bit more than that, maybe a little bit harder to do but can't you JK, dash 1(x3 maybe 4 seems strict on the 4th hit) dash 122 shoulder?
You can but it has to be a far jump in. On a cross over jump a shoulder is consistent...dash 1 isn't.

As for sub...
Lightning punishes a sub that stays on the ground. Sub has to jump then to avoid lightning. If sub is jumping, then arrow becomes useful(slightly). If you reflect a freeze mid screen you get a combo. And armor on shoulder is useful. Sub wins if he corners NW but with eh shoulder, he can get out. If nw stays mid screen, he wins.

overhead

Mileena, Sektor and Freddy for sure.

Also, guys, Smoke being S tier is no surprise. Play ATL_REDD or Aris and then try and say that Smoke is anything less. Being unable to throw a projectile without getting shaken on reaction unless you're close enough to where Smoke can tag you with a 16f lunging overhead is a lot more devastating than you all give credit for.
Block High?

scorpion

Scorpion = most under used, most under valued and I think possibly s tier definitely A+ tier

Scorpion is very under used, if his name wasn't scorpion (people are tied of him as a character) he'd be the new hot shit
I know scorpion can be godlike with his momentum, but some zoners are a prety hard matchup for him and add that up to risks he has to take sometimes, it will prevent him from being s tier

smoke

I don't understand a few things with this list. Why is Mileena top tier? Because of ias? If thats true, then why would Liu Kang be 2 whole tiers down? I don't get the whole Smoke thing either, unless they are withholding tech nobody else knows about. Swap Sub Zero in for Ermac and I would agree with about everything else.
Smoke doesnt really have bad matchups, smoke has a great ranged D1 +ranged D3. his overhead is fast and ranged, smoke bombs make him a threat for opponent on any range, teleport is fast and people have to respect that, its easily blocked, but at the same time it locks down a lot of your opponents options. Smoke has resets at the moment which you also have to consider. Smoke can build crazy meter by whiffing air throws, it builds more meter than other whiffed air throws.

His tier position moved up because the people he had problems with got nerfed, aside from that he cant be zoned at all, this is a great asset because since the last patch with the dash nerf, characters have been trouble dealing with zoning.

The only thing he lacks is good anti-air IMO and pressure from some characters.

But IMo he is a+ tier at most

Dark_Rob

Noob
lol, it seems so simple on paper, doesn't it
haha yes it does. I remember the first time I fought Sabiie's Smoke at VSM. He caught me with that overhead so many damn times. Smoke players have some good ways to set you up for that. Smoke has a fast sweep and a really good D4. They will make you block low just out of sheer annoyance, and then he hits you with it.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Smoke doesnt really have bad matchups, smoke has a great ranged D1 +ranged D3. his overhead is fast and ranged, smoke bombs make him a threat for opponent on any range, teleport is fast and people have to respect that, its easily blocked, but at the same time it locks down a lot of your opponents options. Smoke has resets at the moment which you also have to consider. Smoke can build crazy meter by whiffing air throws, it builds more meter than other whiffed air throws.

His tier position moved up because the people he had problems with got nerfed, aside from that he cant be zoned at all, this is a great asset because since the last patch with the dash nerf, characters have been trouble dealing with zoning.

The only thing he lacks is good anti-air IMO and pressure from some characters.

But IMo he is a+ tier at most
Smoke actually builds meter very slowly compared to the rest of the cast. Whiffing air throws to build meter is a terrible idea because it has cool down after you touch the ground.

He doesn't have good AA but he has ways to avoid it.

In my opinion his slow meter building is his biggest weakness.

EDIT: Smoke also has a large number of frame traps. Maybe more than any other character with current tech

LuckyStrikeMike

Philosopher
I really dislike the implication from a few people here that if a person is not a highly ranked, recognized, or sponsored tournament player, then their opinion is immediately irrelevant to this thread or tier lists in general. So if a person like me, for instance, who lives in the Midwest and has almost zero access to tournaments, sponsorship, and events, has an opinion about this tier list it's just irrelevant? Or if someone spends most of their time playing online rather than offline, it's totally fine to just write them off?

Shouldn't it be about whether or not the person posting is actually correct? For instance, I'd say that cyrax's placement at the #1 spot on this list is at best unwarranted, at worst flat out wrong, because the community has yet to see a cyrax win a major. I know that cyrax has all the tools to win a tournament and play against the top 5, but he hasn't done so. So why place him at the top? Because of his potential? That seems like a bad reason. Couldn't the same be said about Smoke's potential for 100% resets, even if they might be more difficult? So why isn't smoke #1? Kabal also still has a block stun infinite, so why not put him on top? Either way you swing it, from a practical or theoretical standpoint, it doesn't seem like cyrax deserves to be #1. I'll give him top 3, but not #1.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
why do players under estimate scorpion?
Because for 99% of players, 99% of their Scorpion experience consists of random assholes who 1 1 1 spear LOLOLOL all day errday, and nothing else.

He's very good at high level, though.

Oh, and yeah... Smoke is a major dick for sure. I think it's equally meritorious to put him in either S or A+. Seems like he has one foot on both sides.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
LuckyStrikeMike said:
Shouldn't it be about whether or not the person posting is actually correct? For instance, I'd say that cyrax's placement at the #1 spot on this list is at best unwarranted, at worst flat out wrong, because the community has yet to see a cyrax win a major. I know that cyrax has all the tools to win a tournament and play against the top 5, but he hasn't done so. So why place him at the top? Because of his potential? That seems like a bad reason. Couldn't the same be said about Smoke's potential for 100% resets, even if they might be more difficult? So why isn't smoke #1? Kabal also still has a block stun infinite, so why not put him on top? Either way you swing it, from a practical or theoretical standpoint, it doesn't seem like cyrax deserves to be #1. I'll give him top 3, but not #1.
m2dave said:
This is the newest off-line tier list, according to REO, Tom Brady, and m2dave. Slight input was also provided by Perfect Legend. The characters are listed alphabetically within each tier.
Please read.

Most players would agree that Kabal is the best character in the game, followed by Raiden and Cyrax and Kitana, but that is highly debatable and requires a match up chart.

SZSR

Noob
I really dislike the implication from a few people here that if a person is not a highly ranked, recognized, or sponsored tournament player, then their opinion is immediately irrelevant to this thread or tier lists in general. So if a person like me, for instance, who lives in the Midwest and has almost zero access to tournaments, sponsorship, and events, has an opinion about this tier list it's just irrelevant? Or if someone spends most of their time playing online rather than offline, it's totally fine to just write them off?

First off, i'm sorry you guys like Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. don't have a scene but you should make one! Second the first post said it was listed alphabetically (but Smoke is before Raiden in tier 1, lol). Cyrax isn't #1 completely, but the top tier give each other headaches, that's why there's no god tier in this game.

Input-wise, TYM never, ever condemns contributing, or contributions as a whole, TYM is built on player input. It's just a "look before you leap" attitude some veteran players have with newer players as they might contribute something completely off-base and others who come to TYM to look up info. find and use it and it would simply perpetuate a cycle of misinformation, and here we try to stop it.

Sorry of the off-topicness BTW.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You can but it has to be a far jump in. On a cross over jump a shoulder is consistent...dash 1 isn't.

As for sub...
Lightning punishes a sub that stays on the ground. Sub has to jump then to avoid lightning. If sub is jumping, then arrow becomes useful(slightly). If you reflect a freeze mid screen you get a combo. And armor on shoulder is useful. Sub wins if he corners NW but with eh shoulder, he can get out. If nw stays mid screen, he wins.
Hmmm... at 3/4 screen i've slid his lightning on reaction... because the animation is so long and it takes forever. again... I'd be willing to bet this is at the very least a 5-5 because it is a "who can lame out" better matchup.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

it kind of sucks but I don't know if it'd be considered bad enough to count as a bad matchup in their list. If a match like Reptile is even that one would be too. Dave said they considered hers Kenshi and Kabal.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
it kind of sucks but I don't know if it'd be considered bad enough to count as a bad matchup in their list. If a match like Reptile is even that one would be too. Dave said they considered hers Kenshi and Kabal.
Ok I didn't think it was either. Thanks for the info though... Kano kinda makes her play differently, but he isn't at any type of advantage in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.