What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying Ermac is A tier or A+ tier, but I just don't see how Quan Chi and Shang Tsung are higher than he is. But then again, this is based on bad matchups so this shouldn't even be considered a true tier list imo. Cheers!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Sasuga said:
I prefer the chart style. If Mileena is S tier, i'm dropping her! :p
In my opinion, not only is she S tier, she is also a top 3 character. I think d+4, 4,2, and ball are too strong. d+4, in particularly, is a funny poke. I have "crouched" under Raiden's superman, Kabal's nomad dash, and Cage's EX shadow kick with d+4. These three moves dominate 90% of all characters in footsies. She also cannot be zoned because of tele-kicks, but she can zone you with iaSBs.

Cibernetico said:
I'm not saying Ermac is A tier or A+ tier, but I just don't see how Quan Chi and Shang Tsung are higher than he is. But then again, this is based on bad matchups so this shouldn't even be considered a true tier list imo. Cheers!
Tier lists are about match ups. The characters with the least amount of bad match ups are the better / best characters in the game. What else would a tier list be about if not match ups?

Tier lists are about match ups. The characters with the least amount of bad match ups are the better / best characters in the game. What else would a tier list be about if not match ups?
All these years of playing fighting games, I've been under the impression that tier lists are made up from the tools that each fighter has at their disposal. But if matchups are the true way to determine tiers, why is Kung Lao at A+ instead of S?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Cibernetico said:
All these years of playing fighting games, I've been under the impression that tier lists are made up from the tools that each fighter has at their disposal. But if matchups are the true way to determine tiers, why is Kung Lao at A+ instead of S?
Because Kung Lao now has losing match ups vs Raiden, Kitana, Cage, and possibly Sonya.

Sasuga

Noob
I do kind of disagree here. Not to say tierlists are not about matchups, but not solely on bad matchups. Let's say this hypothetical character is 7-3 in advantage over the entire cast, but has 2 bad matchups, while another is 5-5 against the entire cast but has only 1 bad matchup. Now the second would be higher in the tierlist?

The way they presented this tierlist is by itself so different that it makes it seem as if some characters are a lot stronger or weaker than they relatively are. But my matchup knowledge is pretty bad, especially after the patch. I do think it's funny though, how characters that were basically untouched seem to have switched places. How about Mileena, Ermac and Rain? Was the dash-nerf such a big deal?

Robotic

Gentleman.
Close. Tier Lists are made up from the tools a character has, and how it matches up against all the other character's tools in the same game.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Sasuga said:
I do kind of disagree here. Not to say tierlists are not about matchups, but not solely on bad matchups. Let's say this hypothetical character is 7-3 in advantage over the entire cast, but has 2 bad matchups, while another is 5-5 against the entire cast but has only 1 bad matchup. Now the second would be higher in the tierlist?
The first character would be ranked a lot higher in a tier list such as this one. For our purposes, REO suggested that we construct a tier list that is very relevant to tournaments. Noob, for example, could be ranked as a high mid tier character in such a tier list. In reality, he is an almost unusable character in tournaments because he loses 7:3 to Kabal and Raiden, two very popular characters. I like tier lists that revolve around competing in tournaments, based on the standard tournament rules. Such tier lists are the most practical.

Osu 16 Bit said:
Tom was on my case for saying Kit beats Lao like 4 days ago!
Tom and Carl change their minds about Kung Lao on a daily basis. LOL. Honestly, the low hat was toned down too much for the character to remain in S tier.

BR3N7

Noob
This is why Tier lists are slightly flawed IMO.

Best possible example for this is Super SF4 .

EHonda was top tier and considered best overall in game at one point - He had 6-8 bad matchups. Adon in that game had 1-2 bad matchups and was mid tier at best on every tier list but had no 6-4's.

So ya its possible to have 4x as many bad matchups as someone and still be ranked way above that person by over 2-3 tiers.

So im just getting back into this game and what are Freddys and Kung Laos bad matchups right now?

It's interesting I've heard half kenshi players say 100% what you just said and the other half the opposite. Lord of the fly picked him up for mileena and agrees w you but TEEF would say the opposite.

I need to see you guys and other kenshi players discuss this I'm very interested.
Here are my 2 experiences using Mileena against Kenshi - 1 in tournament play, and 1 in Mortal Monday. You see the results:

@ 2:30

@ 5:15

EDIT: Oh and just a quick edit to say that if you go to my youtube page you will see that I am successfully using Kenshi in tournament play as well. As someone who uses both Mileena and Kenshi competitively, in my opinion... Kenshi gets blown up by Mileena.

air throws

Smoke actually builds meter very slowly compared to the rest of the cast. Whiffing air throws to build meter is a terrible idea because it has cool down after you touch the ground.

He doesn't have good AA but he has ways to avoid it.

In my opinion his slow meter building is his biggest weakness.

EDIT: Smoke also has a large number of frame traps. Maybe more than any other character with current tech
You do the air throw when hes about to land right? people wont even notice you building meter. do it like 2 or 3 times and its free meter, especially against most of the cast that dont have a teleport or a fast special they can use from far. But at the same time smoke doesnt need meter to use ex attacks since they arent very good. the only one worth using is smoke phase imo, unless you use resets with ex smoke bomb, but I despise that soo...

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
This is why Tier lists are slightly flawed IMO.

Best possible example for this is Super SF4 .

EHonda was top tier and considered best overall in game at one point - He had 6-8 bad matchups. Adon in that game had 1-2 bad matchups and was mid tier at best on every tier list but had no 6-4's.

So ya its possible to have 4x as many bad matchups as someone and still be ranked way above that person by over 2-3 tiers.

So im just getting back into this game and what are Freddys and Kung Laos bad matchups right now?
This. I'd favor the tier list that creates an overall score. A character with five 4-6 match-ups but the rest being 6-4/7-3 in his or her favor should be ranked higher than a character with two 4-6 match-ups with the rest being 5-5.

i agreed with this until i played TS Sabin's kenshi with mileena
I hear you. I'd love to try Mileena against his or TEEF's Kenshi. I'd probably get blown away lol.

I do believe in "playing against the player", not "playing against the character" - and I believe that your statement supports that =)

LuckyStrikeMike

Philosopher
This. I'd favor the tier list that creates an overall score. A character with five 4-6 match-ups but the rest being 6-4/7-3 in his or her favor should be ranked higher than a character with two 4-6 match-ups with the rest being 5-5.
This is what I'm waiting for. I want a tier list that gives me total number of games won by each character against the whole cast. Whoever has the most wins. But this would require a LOT of feedback from top players, recorded tournament matches, etc. and can only be done using data from the current version.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
he has one of the best ex Moves in the game. His exDashPunch is one of the few armor moves that actually puts the opponent right NEXT to Jax... killing zoners in the process.
Yuo got that right. Don't forget the sexy reset and croenr combos. Yeah....it's good to be the king for once. And i'm shock we're even better than KL and Cage.

REO

Undead
Mileena only loses to Kenshi now and that's barely. She can hold her own and fight against everyone else (yes, even Raiden). This new version indirectly benefits Mileena the most I'd say out of anyone.

Smoke I had losing to Raiden, Kung Lao, and Jax. m2dave seems to agree with me but Tom Brady and Perfect Legend think otherwise. Unlike some melee characters such as Johnny Cage who have to rely on dash-blocking to get in, Jax can whiff his dash punch to close distance quicker. I also see the big hitbox Smoke has as another problem for Jax to take advantage of.

Ermac is at a disadvantage against Kabal, Raiden, Mileena, Jax, Freddy, Reptile, and Noob. Probably more if you ask Tom Brady, m2dave, and Perfect Legend on their opinion, but these 7 characters I feel definitely give Ermac trouble. Also I don't care how good you are at zoning with Ermac. If you're trying to tell me Ermac's zoning with TKP, fireball, grabs, and medicore strings can compare to what a character like Jax can do once he gets in (and he will), then you're nuts. The upper-hand is obvious, and this is putting it lightly without even getting into some of his big flaws like his wake-up game.

Yuo got that right. Don't forget the sexy reset and croenr combos. Yeah....it's good to be the king for once. And i'm shock we're even better than KL and Cage.
It's in alphabetical order. Characters listed first from left to right do not mean anything tier-wise.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Mileena only loses to Kenshi now and that's barely. She can hold her own and fight against everyone else (yes, even Raiden). This new version indirectly benefits Mileena the most I'd say out of anyone.

Smoke I had losing to Raiden, Kung Lao, and Jax. m2dave seems to agree with me but Tom Brady and Perfect Legend think otherwise. Unlike some melee characters such as Johnny Cage who have to rely on dash-blocking to get in, Jax can whiff his dash punch to close distance quicker. I also see the big hitbox Smoke has as another problem for Jax to take advantage of.

Ermac is at a disadvantage against Kabal, Raiden, Mileena, Jax, Freddy, Reptile, and Noob. Probably more if you ask Tom Brady, m2dave, and Perfect Legend on their opinion, but these 7 characters I feel definitely give Ermac trouble. Also I don't care how good you are at zoning with Ermac. If you're trying to tell me Ermac's zoning with TKP, fireball, grabs, and medicore strings can compare to what a character like Jax can do once he gets in (and he will), then you're nuts. The upper-hand is obvious, and this is putting it lightly without even getting into some of his big flaws like his wake-up game.

It's in alphabetical order. Characters listed first from left to right do not mean anything tier-wise.
Oh....my bad.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Ermac is at a disadvantage against Kabal, Raiden, Mileena, Jax, Freddy, Reptile, and Noob. Probably more if you ask Tom Brady, m2dave, and Perfect Legend on their opinion, but these 7 characters I feel definitely give Ermac trouble. Also I don't care how good you are at zoning with Ermac. If you're trying to tell me Ermac's zoning with TKP, fireball, grabs, and medicore strings can compare to what a character like Jax can do once he gets in (and he will), then you're nuts. The upper-hand is obvious, and this is putting it lightly without even getting into some of his big flaws like his wake-up game..
I agree with Kabal, Raiden and probably Noob (Freddy i cant say cause i havent played any good one), but as for Jax and Mileena nope sorry.

Also agree that Reptile is a bad MU for Ermac too, possibly his worst one in my opinion.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Tom Brady said:
smoke vs jax - the ONLY issue would be smokes high crouching hit box causing him to get caught in the glitch block trap. BUT.. with ex teleport and ex parry he has options to escape it. also, 1 crouched dash punch means jax loses over 60% with the reset.

as far as ermac vs jax goes.. the issues are that jax actually out zones ermac now with the buff to his projectile. then up close, jax still beats ermac. so heres a match where jax can and get in when he needs to, or he can out zone if the situation calls for it. ermac fought this match ok when he was able to keep jax away and FORCING him to HAVE TO get in. once jax got a projectile buff, the match favored jax.
Ok i agree about the projectile buff. But. If i can keep him in max TKP range he cant punish my TKP's plus i can outzone him only with TKP's cause when he ll try to projectile me TKP will hit him first. The only way for him to punish maxed TKP's are EX dash punches (probably). I dont know Tom maybe its just me but i really dont think he is B tier. Ofc thats only my opinion. What do you think about Ermac vs Mileena then ? You really think its in her favor ?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
metzos13 said:
I agree with Kabal, Raiden and probably Noob (Freddy i cant say cause i havent played any good one), but as for Jax and Mileena nope sorry.
Mileena has the ability to zone Ermac with instant aerial Sai Blasts. Ermac has to approach Mileena and play footsies, yet Mileena is by far the strongest footsie character in the game. With the exception of max range TKPs, Mileena can quickly dash and do d+4, and Ermac has to block. Also, most of Ermac strings are useless in this match up. None of them jail a crouch blocking Mileena. At max TKP range, Ermac has the advantage. Every other part of the screen belongs to Mileena.

As far as Jax goes, you do realize that even Freddy has issues zoning Jax, right? Any character who has to block f+4,1,3, and Ermac is one of those characters, struggles vs Jax in some form or another. Once Jax gets passed Ermac's zoning, good luck defending when your character has a high crouching hitbox, poor defensive options, and no armor moves aside from X-Ray. When Jax corners Ermac, put your controller down because the match is over. What are you going to do? Do a wake up move and risk losing 70%+ of your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.