What's new

The Newest Mortal Kombat (9) Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Who says you are going to trap me in the corner? Up close baraka wins distance sindel wins. Instant air flight fireball she can block after and you'll be wasting your meter with the charge move. 44 is 0 on block. She can 44 fireball to distance herself or d1 after into special 50/50 mix up

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Dan is right. Flight fireballs are extremely fast on recovery. You aren't gonna be EX charging it. Not on reaction.

@Ruuku1012 The only way you're going to prove something IS at a tournament, where people WILL for sure be playing to win and will be giving you everything they have. If you can't prove something's effective in a serious setting, why should anyone ever believe it is? For example, Check's discovery of Reptile's NJP combo was originally considered too impractical until it was taken into actual tournament settings and was proven a staple combo that EVERY Reptile player should learn. Jax's viability in tournaments had to be proven. The list goes on.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Ermac-Baraka is possibly in Baraka's favor. Baraka can play lame vs Ermac and stay right outside of TKP's max range and remain 100% scary if he has meter, since EX charge will cover the fireballs. I wouldn't say staying inside Ermac's TKP range is the best idea...as much as you can punish it on block, you have to be forced into a stationary position to do so, and that opens you up to his game 100% trying to watch for that, though it is good you can punish him. Also, up close Baraka >>> Ermac. That's at least from what I saw as I played Moe at SBV.

Sheeva's also in Baraka's favor. Baraka's basically owning the ground and she BETTER NOT THROW A FIREBALL IF I HAVE METER. Lmao. Spin also 100% nullifies stomp in general.

Idk about Stryker and Shang, but Smoke is pretty much just even.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Shang Tsung- Baraka can get in close with EX blade charge, and once he gets in his pressure game outshines shang in my opinion. Shang's low starter can be fuzzy guarded. Baraka's 221+2 can pressure Shang and spell trouble for him. Most of his strings on block can be punished by F4 into frametraps. Once in the corner Shang has a hard time with the B31/221+2 combos into the reset, so if Baraka guesses right it gives him a huge advantage. Shang does win the fullscreen game, however eventually Baraka will gain enough meter, and once he is in close it is very hard for shang to get him off. Soul steal does not become an issue unless the player knows Baraka, however it can keep Baraka at a distance.
I disagree. The only threat that Baraka has is the EX blade charge, which means that he will usually be low on meter because he will want to use it to stop getting abused by skull chip damage. Shang doesn't have it any worse up close than most people do (his down jabs are on a few other characters in terms of speed). Shang's normals are better because all of Baraka's strings are slow (B+3,1 is unsafe). Add all this to the fact that Baraka's blade charge is unsafe up close, and I think you have an even matchup and possibly even in Shang's favor. Pretty much any character that has to rely solely on meter to get in is at a disadvantage, especially since Shang can start a combo from anywhere on screen.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
@Ruuku1012 The only way you're going to prove something IS at a tournament, where people WILL for sure be playing to win and will be giving you everything they have. If you can't prove something's effective in a serious setting, why should anyone ever believe it is?
Why should anyone not believe it is? I think it would be counter productive to dismiss a potentially good strategy or technique because it hasn't been seen in a major tournament.

For example, Check's discovery of Reptile's NJP combo was originally considered too impractical until it was taken into actual tournament settings and was proven a staple combo that EVERY Reptile player should learn. Jax's viability in tournaments had to be proven. The list goes on.
So I'm gonna assume that Check went to a major tournament and proved that it should be a staple combo? Otherwise from what you're saying, there is no reason for anyone other than him to believe in the combo's effectiveness. Also, keep in mind that I'm talking about major tournaments since that's what was mentioned a number of times in this thread.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I think it's not about the tournament itself, it's just that a a major there are a lot of good players who have proven themselves or are going to. If somebody comes and kicks their ass, like Tyrant did back in the day with pre-patch Jax, they, the good players, are going to respect this somebody and start respecting his words, actions etc. At major tournaments there are major players who need major proof by being major exposed, as to say :)

Oh, yeah, and I definitely agree with this. As long as you're not a winner, you're a potential winner, but not a winner.

galindo

Noob
barka vs ermac, i would give it to ermac for a little bit.

honestly, blade charge is not much of a threat, even if you have meter,
and ermac can easily punish blade charge from most distances, in my opinion ermac dictates the pace, because he doesnt care if you stay from midscreen or further. he is an excellent zoner...it might be hard to get barak off of him once he is in....but he does have a really fast special that can lead to high damagin combos..

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I disagree. The only threat that Baraka has is the EX blade charge, which means that he will usually be low on meter because he will want to use it to stop getting abused by skull chip damage. Shang doesn't have it any worse up close than most people do (his down jabs are on a few other characters in terms of speed). Shang's normals are better because all of Baraka's strings are slow (B+3,1 is unsafe). Add all this to the fact that Baraka's blade charge is unsafe up close, and I think you have an even matchup and possibly even in Shang's favor. Pretty much any character that has to rely solely on meter to get in is at a disadvantage, especially since Shang can start a combo from anywhere on screen.
Baraka can outpoke shang with D4 and D1, so Shang's low pokes aren't much of a problem. Why would I do a b31 randomly? Im going to F4 you into frametraps. U3 is +10 on block, so I could just do that as well. Shang has nothing to answer F4, as none of his strings are notably fast. Baraka's blade charge is unsafe up close, so why would I do it up close? up close I could do blade spin, F4, or slices to punish shang. Keep in mind Baraka's 1,2,1 is quick and can be made safe with slices. All shang has are his skull traps, and once Baraka gets meter Shang has the disadvantage. While it is true he can start a combo anywhere on the screen, Baraka can lead you into frametraps off of any F4. Shang may be able to keep Baraka out, but once Baraka gets in he does not have many tools to get baraka out.

barka vs ermac, i would give it to ermac for a little bit.

honestly, blade charge is not much of a threat, even if you have meter,
and ermac can easily punish blade charge from most distances, in my opinion ermac dictates the pace, because he doesnt care if you stay from midscreen or further. he is an excellent zoner...it might be hard to get barak off of him once he is in....but he does have a really fast special that can lead to high damagin combos..
Blade charge is safe when it is done from midscreen. Ermac does not dictate the pace unless Baraka is in the perfect spot for him. One EX blade charge can change that, and afterwards Baraka will have a huge advantage. F4 is 12 frames, which of Ermac's moves will stop that. Once I gets him in frame traps what can he do? Ermac can only keep Baraka out for so long, once Baraka gets in Ermac has a hard time. This paired with the fact that TKP can be punished by blade charge gives Baraka an advantage.

galindo

Noob
i disagree with you. i can definitely say for me as a shang tsung player and baraka player that baraka is a bad matchup

blade charge can beat out most of the skulls, they dont have the fastest start up time, its fairly easy to punish on reaction.
and tsung does have awesome pressure trap game, but baraka has an amazing "get off me" move

galindo

Noob
Baraka can outpoke shang with D4 and D1, so Shang's low pokes aren't much of a problem. Why would I do a b31 randomly? Im going to F4 you into frametraps. U3 is +10 on block, so I could just do that as well. Shang has nothing to answer F4, as none of his strings are notably fast. Baraka's blade charge is unsafe up close, so why would I do it up close? up close I could do blade spin, F4, or slices to punish shang. Keep in mind Baraka's 1,2,1 is quick and can be made safe with slices. All shang has are his skull traps, and once Baraka gets meter Shang has the disadvantage While it is true he can start a combo anywhere on the screen, Baraka can lead you into frametraps off of any F4. Shang may be able to keep Baraka out, but once Baraka gets in he does not have many tools to get baraka out.
really only usefull in the corner though..

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Baraka can outpoke shang with D4 and D1, so Shang's low pokes aren't much of a problem. Why would I do a b31 randomly? Im going to F4 you into frametraps. U3 is +10 on block, so I could just do that as well. Shang has nothing to answer F4, as none of his strings are notably fast. Baraka's blade charge is unsafe up close, so why would I do it up close? up close I could do blade spin, F4, or slices to punish shang. Keep in mind Baraka's 1,2,1 is quick and can be made safe with slices. All shang has are his skull traps, and once Baraka gets meter Shang has the disadvantage. While it is true he can start a combo anywhere on the screen, Baraka can lead you into frametraps off of any F4. Shang may be able to keep Baraka out, but once Baraka gets in he does not have many tools to get baraka out.
Baraka's normals are not that good. His fastest starter is 13 frames, compared to shang who has 10 and 8 frame starters along with a 9 frame poke. Even if Baraka catches him with a D+4, it pushes Shang away, which is not where baraka away. The reason I mention the blade charge being unsafe is because it is his only way out of Shang's frame traps, which are obviously done when Shang is in your face. even at 7 frames, the blade spin is not fast enough to get Baraka out of the trap because Shang has enough advantage off of a blocked ground skull to get an uninterruptable poke, which in turn gives him frame advantage. F+4 does not matter unless Baraka gets a combo. Again, it is 12 frames as opposed to Shang's superior normals.

Zoidberg747

Baraka's normals are not that good. His fastest starter is 13 frames, compared to shang who has 10 and 8 frame starters along with a 9 frame poke. Even if Baraka catches him with a D+4, it pushes Shang away, which is not where baraka away. The reason I mention the blade charge being unsafe is because it is his only way out of Shang's frame traps, which are obviously done when Shang is in your face. even at 7 frames, the blade spin is not fast enough to get Baraka out of the trap because Shang has enough advantage off of a blocked ground skull to get an uninterruptable poke, which in turn gives him frame advantage. F+4 does not matter unless Baraka gets a combo. Again, it is 12 frames as opposed to Shang's superior normals.
D1 can also be used to counter Shang's pokes. D1 can also be used to get out of Shang's frametraps. You do realize his frame trap is 221+2 F4 right? Well, you can do an F4 followed by 221+2 and it still leads into frametraps, so yes it does matter. At the very least Baraka can D1 out of Shang's poke as it is 6 frames. Shang's normals are not good enough to avoid frame traps, armor moves, Baraka's superior pokes, and Baraka's pressure.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
D1 can also be used to counter Shang's pokes. D1 can also be used to get out of Shang's frametraps. You do realize his frame trap is 221+2 F4 right? Well, you can do an F4 followed by 221+2 and it still leads into frametraps, so yes it does matter. At the very least Baraka can D1 out of Shang's poke as it is 6 frames. Shang's normals are not good enough to avoid frame traps, armor moves, Baraka's superior pokes, and Baraka's pressure.
But again, you are not taking into account that Baraka is slow as hell. 2,2,1+2? that is an abysmal 23 frames and his U+3 is 24 frames. No competent player is going to let you get that on screen. Shang can do exactly what you say Baraka can do against the frame traps: he has a 6 frame down 1 and a 7 frame down 3. And no, after a blocked close ground skull, Baraka cannot poke or spin out of Shang's poke: it is uninterruptable. You have also not addressed the fact that the only answer Baraka has at full screen is the EX blade charge, which means that he will constantly be eating up meter just to stay in the match.

Zoidberg747

Once you get the EX blade charge off Shang still has a hard time getting away. So you can have one uninterruptable poke. After that I back away, do another blade charge and it is right back where we started. I dont think one uninterruptable poke makes it a 5-5. Shang's skulls are annoying, but if Baraka is patient he can still win the match easier than Shang.

Anyone else feel free to way in, it looks like me and woundcowboy both have our opinions of the matchup. I just think Baraka has to get in and then he has the advantage. And as long as you dont get hit by a ground skull you will have the advantage. Not to mention once Baraka gets Shang cornered he will keep him there, and if Shang gets Baraka in the corner, Baraka has his EX blade charge on wakeup that will go through any of Shang's normals/specials.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Once you get the EX blade charge off Shang still has a hard time getting away. So you can have one uninterruptable poke. After that I back away, do another blade charge and it is right back where we started. I dont think one uninterruptable poke makes it a 5-5. Shang's skulls are annoying, but if Baraka is patient he can still win the match easier than Shang.

Anyone else feel free to way in, it looks like me and woundcowboy both have our opinions of the matchup. I just think Baraka has to get in and then he has the advantage. And as long as you dont get hit by a ground skull you will have the advantage. Not to mention once Baraka gets Shang cornered he will keep him there, and if Shang gets Baraka in the corner, Baraka has his EX blade charge on wakeup that will go through any of Shang's normals/specials.
That's just it, you cannot simply walk away after his poke. A D+3 gives enough of an advantage to allow his next F+4 groundskull to beat out most of Baraka's options. I don't see how you can think that Baraka locks Shang down so easily. Everything Shang does is faster and pushes Baraka away. About the EX blade charge: I would not advise using that when Shang is pressuring you because it is very unsafe when done upclose. Also, a blocked full screen charge does not leave Baraka close, so it's pretty much back to square 1. It is not easy to avoid ground skulls, so I don't think you can say "as long as you don't get hit". Shang outclasses Baraka from every distance.

I just have to say that I have played some pretty decent Baraka players (Moe, Charybodis and Zoidberg) and I really did not get the feeling that it was a bad matchup. Maybe some other players have some more experience against him than I do, so I would encourage them to contribute.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
People keep thinking that Shang Tsung is a traditional zoning character when he is not. Shang Tsung's fireballs are too slow. He is much better up close and at mid range. His footsies are good. As are his frame traps. If he were able to win projectile battles full screen away, he would be S tier.

galindo

Noob
But again, you are not taking into account that Baraka is slow as hell. 2,2,1+2? that is an abysmal 23 frames and his U+3 is 24 frames. No competent player is going to let you get that on screen. Shang can do exactly what you say Baraka can do against the frame traps: he has a 6 frame down 1 and a 7 frame down 3. And no, a blocked close ground skull, Baraka cannot poke or spin out of Shang's poke: it is uninterruptable. You have also not addressed the fact that the only answer Baraka has at full screen is the EX blade charge, which means that he will constantly be eating up meter just to stay in the match.
of course he can, unless shang is right infront of him

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
of course he can, unless shang is right infront of him
Exactly. If Shang's pressure is applied correctly, Baraka will be right in front of him. As M2Dave said, you guys need to keep in mind that is Shang is not just a zoner. The matchup may be in Baraka's favor against a vanilla Shang, but if the player makes use of his frame traps in addition to some zoning, I do not see this as being in Baraka's favor

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
People keep thinking that Shang Tsung is a traditional zoning character when he is not. Shang Tsung's fireballs are too slow. He is much better up close and at mid range. His footsies are good. As are his frame traps. If he were able to win projectile battles full screen away, he would be S tier.
I think people are quick to look at Shang Tsung that way because he can start combos from full screen away. But it's not like Shang would throw out random en ground skulls. Not only that but there aren't many Shang players out there that are able to get recorded so people can see. Shoot actually there's not a lot of Shang players out there period. lol

galindo

Noob
Exactly. If Shang's pressure is applied correctly, Baraka will be right in front of him. As M2Dave said, you guys need to keep in mind that is Shang is not just a zoner. The matchup may be in Baraka's favor against a vanilla Shang, but if the player makes use of his frame traps in addition to some zoning, I do not see this as being in Baraka's favor
well the way isee it, shang will not always be able to apply pressure correctly all the time (no player can do that)
and if baraka can see the mistake, he has several options to take, where i think other charactes dont have as many options.

thats why i see it in barakas favor.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
well the way isee it, shang will not always be able to apply pressure correctly all the time (no player can do that)
and if baraka can see the mistake, he has several options to take, where i think other charactes dont have as many options.

thats why i see it in barakas favor.
F+4 ground skull is not that difficult. Even if you use the full F+4,3,4 into the ground skull, Shang is still at a plus 2 advantage. By that logic, Kabal would be garbage because he is so execution based. And Yet he is still top tier. High level players will have their execution down.

But it might remain to be seen. As of right now, the only strategy I have seen Baraka players use is to build meter and uses EX blade charge. This approach is easily beaten.

Zoidberg747

I see what your saying Tsung, and if that is true then it probably is 5-5.

Ermac, Smoke, Stryker, and Sheeva are matchups I am pretty sure are in Baraka's favor. Scorpion too probably but I cant explain it quite yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.