What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Vjeekes

DevilApes
not sure this tread will help you :)
all are claiming that their main is the best. (And they might be right), All depends on how good you are aware of the presuuretools of the choosen character.
The game came out 2 weeks ago and you tried 5 characters.
Stick to 1 or 2 characters for several weeks

Colares

Noob
I don't know if you watched northwest majors but the game in general is fast paced. Even Quan Chi, a zoner, is fast paced.
From what I've seen the fastest two would be Reptile and Kung Lao.
Smoke bomb I think the best relation is an armored launcher like Kung Lao's spin, Mileena's Roll, Goro's punchwalk, Kotal kahn, Cassie and Erron Black have them too. Those are the ones I remember

Ok,my main is jax,i like wrestler and pumped up,so i trained him pretty well i think its time to move on second character to have an alternative, so who should i choose,i looked shinnok,maybe jackie i dont know? What do you guys think?

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
This isn't a complaint thread. I'm really curious why there are so many people struggling to pick a main in MKX. I don't remember it being that much of an issue with MK9.

I'm having the same issue. No one really clicks with me. Could be that the variations make characters too narrow or focused. Could be a number of things. Maybe us scrambling for a main is our subconscious frustration with not fully understanding the MKX engine itself. Until we fully get the way the game plays (not at all like MK9) I don't see how we can confidently pick a main.

Maybe I'm wrong and over generalizing the community, but that seems to be my issue. I also want to play the game perhaps in a way it isn't meant to be played. I like to play counter characters (like MK9 Smoke) who basically allow the opponents to destroy themselves but MKX is too frantic with the run mechanic and sheer amount of 50/50 mixups.

Should we abandon the character archetypes we have individually grown comfortable with? Should zoners say fuck it and play rush down? Is it even possible to excell in MKX as anything BUT rush down?

I really would like to hear your detailed responses.

Like:

Have you chosen a main already? If so, based on what (loyalty, playstyle, etc.)?

What kind of general fighting game player do you consider yourself (aggressive, mind games, defensive, etc.)? And have you had to choose a character with a playstyle outside of your comfort zone to accommodate the MKX engine?

Invincibeast

Stay Free
I'm all over the place with trying to choose a main. First I started with Kenshi, then after day 2 I noticed he was booty and not for me. Then I picked up Kung Jin, but now everyone and their mother is picking him up and/or whining about him. So now I'm looking for another main just incase he does get the nerf bat hard. Currently I'm messing around with Raiden, but I just can't find someone to click with me.
Its frustrating.
I like my main to be mobile and/or tricky.
In general I'd say I'm a defensive player with a couple mind games thrown in. I'm more of a punisher than a rushdown type. MKX just doesn't have someone who clicks with me yet ... (come on Tremor or Tanya ;) )

Varion

Noob
I'm all over the place with trying to choose a main. First I started with Kenshi, then after day 2 I noticed he was booty and not for me. Then I picked up Kung Jin, but now everyone and their mother is picking him up and/or whining about him. So now I'm looking for another main just incase he does get the nerf bat hard. Currently I'm messing around with Raiden, but I just can't find someone to click with me.
Its frustrating.
I like my main to be mobile and/or tricky.
In general I'd say I'm a defensive player with a couple mind games thrown in. I'm more of a punisher than a rushdown type. MKX just doesn't have someone who clicks with me yet ... (come on Tremor or Tanya ;) )
Look into Erron black and Dvorah

zoofs

bless
this is spot on other than the part about only rushdown being viable. I really still cannot decide on a true main. I'm guessing it is 50% because of variations, and 50% because there is no char in the game that appeals to me greatly other than Kenshi; who didn't turn out well.

MK Slash

Useful Idiot look at the flick of the wrist
Because there are so many sick fucking characters. Fuck all these viability tears. Shit is gonna change a lot over the next year. Pick who you love the most; who suits you the best, and learn every aspect of them.
What he said my advice learn MKX which means everyone then decide

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I'm playing everyone until Preddy comes out. I love many of the MK characters that are present in this game, but Predator is on a whole other level for me. But yeah right now I'm playing Sub, Ermac, Ferra/Torr, Jax, Erron, Quan, Reptile, Goro, Johnny, Kano, Liu Kang, Kotal and probably more. Why? Because I like them all too much. I will definitely be trying out Jason and Tremor as well, but like I said, once Preddy is out I will drop them all like bags of shit. To answer your question, I choose my main going by how much I like the character, then by how they play. Since I love Predator to death I will play him no matter what.