What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

itsmeMOB

Mileena's back!
Raiden is a good character in MKX but I really only enjoy his Thunder God variation. I know how his other variations work, but imo Thunder god is his only variation that's viable to me. Jacqui is your safest bet, probably.

let the character choose me? im not really that picky lol.

i mean, i love sub zero, but right now i dont like grand master playstyle that much, his damage is kind of low, and cryomancer gives up too much for too little i feel.

there is only a few characters in the game that i dont hve a real inclination to use.

@callMEcrazy

thanks for the input. so right now im looking at scorpion, jax, adn liu kang. maybe kano as he seems very agressive and fast.

the question is how do they compare in each department

how do they compare in footsies

in rushdown

in mixups

ill try to figure this out myself but i wouldnt scoff at anyone giving me some info too :p

SZSR

Noob
Try Cassie, she has everything you're asking for except for the teleport but in terms of mobility, her's is amongst the best.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
let the character choose me? im not really that picky lol.

i mean, i love sub zero, but right now i dont like grand master playstyle that much, his damage is kind of low, and cryomancer gives up too much for too little i feel.

there is only a few characters in the game that i dont hve a real inclination to use.

@callMEcrazy

thanks for the input. so right now im looking at scorpion, jax, adn liu kang. maybe kano as he seems very agressive and fast.

the question is how do they compare in each department

how do they compare in footsies

in rushdown

in mixups

ill try to figure this out myself but i wouldnt scoff at anyone giving me some info too :p
Well Scorpion is not exactly an outright rushdown character, and Kano is definitely not. I doubt you'll find very good mixups with Kano although I haven't really had a good look at him yet. I can't give you very detailed comparisons because I haven't spent that much time with the game yet. But generally Lao, Kang, Cage, Sonya, Jax, etc these are the characters you want to look into if you're interested in rushdown style of play.

sounds like im going to experiment with jax and liu kang then. ill keep sub zero in the back wing for me to play with as hes my bro tho.

bambus

Noob
I main Kung Lao and personally i had a hard time in the start. He is really hard, and his high damage BnB's require some extra time in practice. But once you got it, he is so much fun and extremely deadly in the right hands.

watching supermansajam's breakdown vids is helping me with my decisions.

im still thinking jax, he has strong normals, good mixups and specials that carry them SO FAR to the corner. he seems to have poor combos midscreen that are insanely hard to land. so online i might have to compensate for something more simple like normals and simple mixups to carry to the corner.

i of course will experiment, and ill always keep subzero in my wing. i had gotten halfway decent with his mixups that he does have.

i generally very much like mixups.

NKZero

Noob
@KeyserSoze appreciate the explanation man. So you talking about Summoner Quan being the best zoner? Interesting....

I'm already dabbling with Grandmaster Sub because Sub was my main in MK9 and ice clone lol...but he isn't a zoner. Still can be defensive. But Quan sounds intriguing too.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
@KeyserSoze appreciate the explanation man. So you talking about Summoner Quan being the best zoner? Interesting....

I'm already dabbling with Grandmaster Sub because Sub was my main in MK9 and ice clone lol...but he isn't a zoner. Still can be defensive. But Quan sounds intriguing too.
The general consensus is that Sub is really, really good. . . So, I don't think you'd regret that choice. Although, we are less than two weeks into the game's lifespan, so who the hell knows what will happen after patches and DLC.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
@KeyserSoze So you talking about Summoner Quan being the best zoner? Interesting.....
There aren't any OP zoners and I don't think any of the aforementioned characters would be a bad choice for you, but IMO, Quan is the hardest to deal with as a pure zoner. (Although, he definitely has issues . . . like no wake-up game whatsoever)

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
The "hypest" choice for all of us who get to watch you play is probably Goro, but I could never sincerely recommend to anyone that they ever play a character that they "don't care for." Imo, you should really like the character you play. From reading your post, it sounds like you "like" both Raiden and Jacqui quite a bit, but you seem to only be interested in Raiden for the Master of Storms variation. If that is the case, I'd go with Jacqui. I think the MOS variation is pretty awkward and no where near as viable as you made Lex seem to be. Whoever you decide on, good luck! I always really enjoyed watching your Lex. So hype.

NKZero

Noob
There aren't any OP zoners and I don't think any of the aforementioned characters would be a bad choice for you, but IMO, Quan is the hardest to deal with as a pure zoner. (Although, he definitely has issues . . . like no wake-up game whatsoever)
Yeah Sub will probably be my go to main...at least Grandmaster variation. I'm more about dabbling with a specific variation of multiple characters tbh, especially as I'm in a character crisis. Quan sounds cool but no wake-ups doesn't sound appealing, especially given the power of oki in this game it seems.

You've already got some good suggestions. I'd like to throw in another vote for Mileena. While I'm at it, I'll say Takeda, Lao, Kitana, and Cassie. Most of those have a teleport, those that don't, have good pressure. I personally like Mileena because she's a cool character to me. Kitana is a MONSTER in this game. I like Takeda too, but a lot of his moves have a slow start up, but once you start up, he can combo the shit out of people. Cassie is a combo fighter too. I don't too much like playing Lao in this game because he seems "off". He just doesn't feel as good as he did in MK9 to me but maybe that's just me.

im finding jax to sorta be the opposite of cyomancer midfield.

cryomancer doesnt have a non meter good low attack string midfield, have to burn a bar for it.

jax doesnt have a non meter good overhead attack string midfield, have to burn a bar for it.

i love jax's corner carry and the speed of his specials.

i have to experiment more with some others. im even tempted to try raiden since i unlocked the future raiden skin.

I havnt played a fighting game since MK9, so please dumb things down lol, My slang for this place is almost non-existing.

But yes in MK9, Smoke was my go to guy. I'm talking 400+ wins with the guy, But when it come to this game.... I don't know. I find my self scare to get up close and personal and really try to pressure them due to wake up/ alot of jumping/ spamming, and blocking my strings lol

So far i tried out

Scorpion (inferno)

Jac brigg. ( full auto)

Kung jin ( bojutus?)

Kitana ( assassin and royal)

Kenshi ( possessed)

I really want a char who is similar to smoke in MK9, I mean i had no problem keeping the pressure on and pulling off amazing combo's, And now i feel like i lost my mojo.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I havnt played a fighting game since MK9, so please dumb things down lol, My slang for this place is almost non-existing.

But yes in MK9, Smoke was my go to guy. I'm talking 400+ wins with the guy, But when it come to this game.... I don't know. I find my self scare to get up close and personal and really try to pressure them due to wake up/ alot of jumping/ spamming, and blocking my strings lol

So far i tried out

Scorpion (inferno)

Jac brigg. ( full auto)

Kung jin ( bojutus?)

Kitana ( assassin and royal)

Kenshi ( possessed)

I really want a char who is similar to smoke in MK9, I mean i had no problem keeping the pressure on and pulling off amazing combo's, And now i feel like i lost my mojo.
I hated MK9 Smoke. I didn't like how easily he got a full punish with that bomb. Plus he was probably Sektor's (my main) worst matchup. I wish you well but I sincerely hope there's no such character in MKX. With 75 variations though I think there's hope for you.