What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
One thing I am curious about is now that modern consoles have fast SSDs, whether Shang will actually be able to do a full compliment of character morphs. Im leaning toward probably not, since it is still releasing on the switch. Unless they just dont have it in that version.

I wonder how the concept of Kameos will be explained in the story mode.

Boom said there is a number of Kameos that you can also main.. so maybe all the kameos in story mode are other main characters in story mode.... but then they stil need to explain the era skins those kameos have.

I wonder how the concept of Kameos will be explained in the story mode.

Boom said there is a number of Kameos that you can also main.. so maybe all the kameos in story mode are other main characters in story mode.... but then they stil need to explain the era skins those kameos have.
I think the Kameos will have alternate costumes just like main fighters and that's about it.

The second line of dialogue in intro before a match starts doesn't seem to have working subtitle. I've noticed this in the SGF videos too.

Notice the different colored highlights around the healthbars. I wonder what thats about. Maybe the black one is just to signify that player hasn't been hit yet? I feel like the gold one would be a better indicator if thats the case

Love the retro appearance the kameos all have. They really pop and look awesome. Frost kinda came outta nowhere but damn she looked great.
Kameos are their latest solution to variations and I like what I'm seeing so far. Main characters get to remain "intact" while also giving us options to augment our kits and gameplan.

Have only seen the trailer, but holy shit knocked it out of the park. Loving all the character designs and movesets. So glad to see some really creative stuff going on, especially after Mk 11 was so vanilla.

Edit after watching-

1. Holy shit kung lao giving his teleport strikes me as a big deal. Not only is it mobility, but I think it's one of his non ambush assists, but it doesn't matter.
  2. Scorpion looks great. I can't possibly overstate how happy i am to finally see combo moves not requiring meter. Finally feels like he should.
  3. Liu Kang has reshaped the world and taking JC zoning. Well done.
  4. Ok JC holding a pose to fill a meter is great, and the hype mode looks great. Love that everyone's movelist is just nuts. The throw disable for meter is a really cool idea.
  5. Match looked great. Too much to go over, but looks like they're nailing this game.

Last edited:
Love the retro appearance the kameos all have. They really pop and look awesome. Frost kinda came outta nowhere but damn she looked great.
Kameos are their latest solution to variations and I like what I'm seeing so far. Main characters get to remain "intact" while also giving us options to augment our kits and gameplan.
Yeah, the Kameo mechanics look great. I've a feeling I'm gonna be utilizing the Kung Lao teleport so I don't get PTSD from the Johnny Cage/ Sub Zero matchup from MK9

Status