What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Unfortunately I couldn't get it to catch backdash :( still really good though.
Really, Really good. I'm going to test it against a few characters tonight. HKD's are nice and all, but if this stuffs a lot of wakeups universally and gives her a 50/50 option (F214 or F21EXBall) she has options off every knockdown. Definitely going to tinker with this.

Will F12 buffer into a ball on whiff I wonder? I know b34 does into a teleport.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I love how you still write stuff down lol, great stuff with Takeda. I really like knowing that D+3 can be abused in that MU haha, I still kinda feel sorry for him, but then again I don't play him so screw that guy lol.

Also I've been messing around with some more of that F+1 to break armor and I found if you end combos with a roll then run up to them for pressure you can kind of loop the armor break. If they delay wake up they still get pressured because of how long the F+1 string is. They can tech roll to get out but if you think they're going to tech roll you can chase them and apply more pressure or bait a wake up. Here's a video demonstrating it against Sub-Zero's Icy Slide, In order of their wake up in the video it goes short delay, armored wake up, then long delay.

Funny enough I was messing around with the idea of ending combos in roll and running in for pressure last night but I was looking for ways to utilise F3 safely, didn't think about using F1 again and doing a loop of potential armour breaking pressure. Good work :)

@TakeAChance your matchup notes on Takeda is fantastic, really appreciate the knowledge sharing :)

Question: How the hell do JIPs work in this game? I swear half the combos I know work in training mode don't work on live players. They can block the followups. Is it height dependant or something?

I can usually get JIP, 123 xx Roll to work, but stuff like JIP, F12, B4 xx Roll... the F1 was blocked. Same with JIP, 23 xx Roll and JIP, B12 xx EX Tele

Premonitionist

Call Me Premo - Mileena, D'Vorah, Cassie, Kitana.
Funny enough I was messing around with the idea of ending combos in roll and running in for pressure last night but I was looking for ways to utilise F3 safely, didn't think about using F1 again and doing a loop of potential armour breaking pressure. Good work :)

@TakeAChance your matchup notes on Takeda is fantastic, really appreciate the knowledge sharing :)

Most of u will get it :)

Premonitionist

Question: How the hell do JIPs work in this game? I swear half the combos I know work in training mode don't work on live players. They can block the followups. Is it height dependant or something?

I can usually get JIP, 123 xx Roll to work, but stuff like JIP, F12, B4 xx Roll... the F1 was blocked. Same with JIP, 23 xx Roll and JIP, B12 xx EX Tele
U must be pushing the buttons late, dial it fast like you're calling 911 :p

TheGabStandard

How are people finding B3 and U3 as anti-airs as to be honest I find them really tricky to pull off. I'm more confident in the fact its my timing that's off but just wanted people's opinion on these moves and any other potential anti-airs except Roll.

Premonitionist

Hmm, it really didn't feel like I was doing it late. I know the amount of advantage is different than in MK9, so I'll have to see next time I get ahold of the game.
Also you could be doing it too fast too so I guess the best advice would be to just practice the timing, which I'm sure you were going to do anyway. Also it says her jump in 1 is +13 on hit and that her standing 1's start-up is 14 frames but it still combos so you can't trust the advantage in the frame data on jump ins for now.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
If they backdash, do you need to catch them? I don't think you're in that bad a position at that distance. Against most characters anyway.
Well the B12 would put them back in a combo, resulting in good damage and another knock down.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement, though.

Premonitionist

In Piercing, B12 catches back dashes if they just immediately wake up back dash.
Have you tried run up, b12 to catch back dash after a delayed wake up?
Just thinking here.
U can't wake up with back dash after a delayed wake up but you can catch the regular wake up back dash with the B+1,2 if he chooses to do that instead of wake up armor or tech roll.

How are people finding B3 and U3 as anti-airs as to be honest I find them really tricky to pull off. I'm more confident in the fact its my timing that's off but just wanted people's opinion on these moves and any other potential anti-airs except Roll.
I only use roll, uppercut, and the occasional NJP if I think they'll jump next to me. I think B+3 is too slow for anti air and U+3 is too inconsistent imo.

Also I made a Mileena Match Video thread and it would be cool if it got pinned/stickied so everyone can post Mileena match videos in there. Not sure how to go about doing that :/

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I find them rather unreliable, at least in my experience and especially online. Offline, they're pretty good, but I still find my b+3 going right through them when timed wrong. When opponents attempt to do a JiP or jump over me, I usually stick to a well-timed EX Ball Roll and take the ~30%. Though, perhaps I'm just not good enough to take full advantage of them yet.

Advantage doesn't matter on jump ins. Don't wait until you land to start the combo. Just dial the whole thing as though the j.p was the first button in a string.

Well the B12 would put them back in a combo, resulting in good damage and another knock down.
I just meant that if you guessed wrong using F1 string, and they wake up backdash, even if you cant' hit them Mileena isn't necessarily in a bad spot.

TheGabStandard

Kung Lao's EX spin at midscreen hits her. I've tried every option. Best to block out against him. It's like I was stating in my post in the combo thread. The Ex/Armored wake ups vary while all of the other wake up options will succeed.

I haven't tried Ethereal, yet. I'm thinking Ethereal's fade specials would force a whiff & a guaranteed punish.
Below is a video I just recorded of F1 beating out EX Spin in Buzz Saw. I will freely admit that it would probably be best to use EX Roll or just block as the timing is SUPER hard. However, this is just to present the theory that it can be done, will see if its even possible to do F1 with Tempest EX Spin midscreen but I doubt it.

Last edited:
In other words, don't fear the neutral. As in, sure they escaped your mixup/pressure but all they've done is put the match back in the neutral. Now you play it just like you play the beginning of a match.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Possibly do a chart for some common strong wake ups, so we know what we can mess up.

Just tried against Cassie's Getaway flip (ex ofc), can't break it. Perhaps my timings off, but would've loved to screw that over.

TheGabStandard

Possibly do a chart for some common strong wake ups, so we know what we can mess up.

Just tried against Cassie's Getaway flip (ex ofc), can't break it. Perhaps my timings off, but would've loved to screw that over.
so far I can only beat it if Cassie is in the corner, midscreen seems impossible. Exactly the same with Tempest Lao EX Spin, can beat it in the corner but not midscreeen.

The chart sounds like a good idea to see what F1/3 can stuff. I think there is a thread somewhere that lists every character's armoured wake ups. unless someone is already working on this I might do this as a mini project :)

Uppercut is my go to AA. I feel Roll is MU dependent.
I agree. Don't anti air bojutsu kung jin with roll. It's way too inconsistent.

I think I need more actual match experience using mileena now. combo execution is fine for me, and al the things that I know she can do are theoretical and aren't transfering to actual play yet.

Every time I try to get away from using her, I just go right back. I'm just not as comfortable with anyone else.

At least I'm accumulating alot of pocktet characters. lol.