What's new

The make-or-break of MKX for me is still unanswered

The region lock = bad netcode assumption doesn't make sense.

Why would the game on one console have completely different netcode than the other.

Its gotta be some kind of legal issue, Or theres some unknown factor in PSNs network that hampers online game.

Last edited:

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Joking or not, isn't it more so about packet loss?
Yes there is other factors but packet loss is the biggest killer. If you are looking to get the most out of your online experience if you are on wireless you need to get the holy hell off wireless. It doesn't matter if the router is 3 feet away from the ps4, the second you are on wireless packet loss begins. The connection is only as good as the worse of the two, so if player a) is wired and player b) is on wireless, then both suffer.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
It would not be awesome if the netcode was mk9, but it's still playable I mean getting kicked from a couple of games isn't too bad. Yeah the reaction time and combo times are a little different but hey I still have a blast, even today.
So did I (have a blast online). But there is a big difference between off line and online play when it comes to latency and frame sensitive moves /cancels for mk9. That is what I worry about.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.

Why would the game on one console have completely different netcode than the other.

Its gotta be some kind of legal issue.
Don't bother trying to explain this man. TRUST ME.... I have been down this road before.

The net code on mcc is awful. I've put 150+ hours into it. Lag, dropped connections, players teleporting around, awful hit registration.

Old games on 360 play better.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I hope it's good. As a father of a 2 year old, that lives in a remote area that happens to have incredible networking because it sits on a the Rocky Mountain fiber backbone, it's either online play or sit in Training mode by myself.

Mk9 netcode was bad. IGAU was better, but still bad. I'm convinced that PS4 IGAU is only better because of the 2 frames of input delay PS3s had. Hopefully MKX is another step in the right direction. I mean if USF4 on PC can do finally get it right, Mortal Kombat can as well.

One other thing, your bandwidth mean nothing. You could have synchronous 1Gb fiber (1 Gigabit up, 1 Gigabit down), but if you have ping to the remote end of +50ms, your experience will be sub par. Again, advertised bandwidth means nothing in gaming latency. NOTHING.

One more time: BANDWIDTH MEANS NOTHING, round trip ping times are the most important bit.

Did I say it enough?
when i was in college, the ping for Chicago servers on FPSes was out of this world good (less than 10 ms at times) and amazing for the wow server i played on which made online gaming great. at the time i had less than 1mb down and up, and this was probably the best connection ive ever had. i live about 200 miles closer to Chicago now with 50 mb down, 10 up and still don't get pings that good

daddydab32ho

KANO, KANO, KAY-NOOOOOO , KANO (DRAKES VOICE)
You're going to buy the game regardless!!!! Unless you're not a true Mortal Kombat fan, then you will buy the game hands down! FRAY

daddydab32ho

KANO, KANO, KAY-NOOOOOO , KANO (DRAKES VOICE)
There's even lag in KI and Oh boy I've experienced it!!! Nothing's perfect.... And I already know you're going to say "I didn't say I wanted it to be perfect" that's beyond the point.... If you're not an MK fan, I respect that but if you're just shitting on it for your own personal agenda then stop it please.. You know damn well that YOU, ME AND EVERYBODY ELSE ARE GOING TO KOMPETE IN THE BIGGEST FIGHTING TOURNAMENT OF ALL TIME.... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!! Lol ;)

Vilén

too smart to play MKX

Its gotta be some kind of legal issue, Or theres some unknown factor in PSNs network that hampers online game.
Games get region locked so game publishers can track how well it does or doesn't sell on a particular continent. I thought this was common knowledge?

Has nothing to do with netcode. You might as well say the netcode will be bad because purple. Makes the same sense.

Anyway, I see it like this:
MK9 - punchline netcode
Injustice - major improvement but inconsistent. I'd alternate between "wow this is smooth" and "wipe ass with sandpaper rough" almost every match. So overall subpar but when it worked it WORKED.

So I'm fantasizing for great, hoping for decent and expecting mediocrity.

D

Deleted member 9158

I definitely had a better experience in IGAU online than MK9. It's a shame I liked MK9 more. I can't see MKX being any worse than IGAU, since NRS has only improved their netcode through each game.

If it's as good as KI's, I'll cream my pants though

Last edited by a moderator:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
My only glimmer of hope for rollback is that NRS is using more outside resources for features in their games (such as the unofficial PS3 stick driver by Lab Zero Games).

Unless MKX uses a shit ton of resources for the next-gen consoles as it is, I don't see why rollback couldn't be included.
i think we all should get together and do an online rain dance or something.

I would very much like to play people who I wasn't able to in MK9 because of the lag.

"Man... THTB is my opponent" "Opponent has disconnected"

WHAT IS THIS BULLLLFUCKERY?

Audit

Falls down too much
when i was in college, the ping for Chicago servers on FPSes was out of this world good (less than 10 ms at times) and amazing for the wow server i played on which made online gaming great. at the time i had less than 1mb down and up, and this was probably the best connection ive ever had. i live about 200 miles closer to Chicago now with 50 mb down, 10 up and still don't get pings that good
I have a good friend that lived in downtown Chicago, and he had much the same experience. Then he moved to the Suburbs 8 miles away and has lousy latency. Chicago is interesting because it's the networking for most of North America hub Our business connection at work actually routes from Colorado, to Chicago, to Hawaii because it's faster than go straight to the west cost.

It's wonderful when you have those incredible ping times, it's what I imagine playing in Japan is like.

Also, region lock that shit. I swear my number one matched opponent online in MK9 was F0xy Grandpa. I'm in Colorado for pete's sake. I don't need to be playing people in the UK.

Last edited:

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Also, region lock that shit. I swear my number one matched opponent online in MK9 was F0xy Grandpa. I'm in Colorado for pete's sake. I don't need to be playing people in the UK.
This isn't region locking. This is a search parameter issue. Region locking just means that a copy of the game formated for Region 2 won't work on a console sold in Region 1.

Blocking your ability to connect to different continents is like... The opposite of the internet. Your issue would be resolved by the implementation of a "local only" matchmaking feature.

Audit

Falls down too much
i think we all should get together and do an online rain dance or something.

I would very much like to play people who I wasn't able to in MK9 because of the lag.

"Man... THTB is my opponent" "Opponent has disconnected"

WHAT IS THIS BULLLLFUCKERY?
Sorry for the double post, but
This isn't region locking. This is a search parameter issue. Region locking just means that a copy of the game formated for Region 2 won't work on a console sold in Region 1.

Blocking your ability to connect to different continents is like... The opposite of the internet. Your issue would be resolved by the implementation of a "local only" matchmaking feature.
Ok, I misunderstood then. I guess I got confused about the Region locking meaning netplay would suck. Which is misinformation at best and wrong at worst anyway LOL.

I do remember thinking I'd love to play him in a lag-free environment, I might be able to make an account of my self more often.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
So Angry Joe finally asked Boon directly what they have done about the netcode to which he answered it will be better than injustice. No more vague messages when it comes to disconnects either. Make of that what you will. Starts around 8:30.