What's new

The King Of Fighters XIV

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I watched KOF 14 all day yesterday and my God was it amazing. El Rosa with Ramon vs K' vs I think Reynald was one of the craziest scrambles ever.

Also from the new cast I can guarantee Meitenkun will be my point slot character or anchor. Dude has slow projectiles to follow up behnd and B. Jenet's flutter kick. Meaning I can pillow throw into flutter kick and putup a wall. He has an up angled throw and his Max mode pillow tosses are super fast for the crazy to read zoning that point dudes use best. Plus since Max mode is so good for him I could occassionally anchor him.

That means Im 100% Meitenkun/Mui Mui now with a 3rd to be determined.

Alice BTW is amazing. She has andy's dash up elbow but on block she backflips away safely instead of staying up close and punishable. This suits her long limbs and solid pokes. She has great jump in pokes and her Super has her dash up hop into a knee and then do a rising tackle meaning she can chase with her super, or combo with it and potentially thanks to the jump up knee combo it out of juggles. Just an excellent character overall. Very good in and out stuff.

K' and Mai look super buffed over KOF 13 too. Mai especially because her EX version of fan toss works like Anji Mito's fan in GG now. On block it bounces up but you can't jump or push a button if you block it because it HITS TWICE and itll hit you after a block again after it bounces straight up and falls down. This means she throws it, you block and you gotta get outta there somehow leading to her baiting rolls, or stuffing runs because you can't use jump or normals. Armored moves, supers or throws work, but it'd be easy to tech a throw. Mai is reaaaaaaaally good right now due to this stuff. Plus her air to air game is improved even further making her fan tosses even harder to deal with there as well as folks often jump them.

Game is godlike!

shaowebb

I agree the game is godlike Ramon looks OD but my love is still with Nelson is the demo international btw?
Not certain. But hey KOF gets its own Bionic Arm! Before it only had bionic hand with K' and Bionic...uh...everything with Maxima.

Nelson's super btw is fantastic. Its one hit so no scaling and you can combo off it which is HUGE for him. Plus his dashups go past zoning so well. Him and Gang IL are surprise pressure brutes vs zoners, because I think his chargeable side kick works like Shen Woo's punch and it checks run aways reaaaaaally well.

Oh one other thing because I can't shut up...Leona's ear ring has startup invulnerability now! Saw dudes whif right through her.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
What's the meta with making team's?
Is all the kof 14 footage on atlus twitch?
basically,
-online is important
-This and kofxiv will be better online than their previous efforts.
-there's a team / party mode which sounds a lot like KoF mode (3v3).
-online training.
-native ps4 features enabled.
I'm back on the KoF hype train now!

And that 3v3 mode is something I always wanted in Marvel. Was fun in SFxT.

shaowebb

What's the meta with making team's?
Is all the kof 14 footage on atlus twitch?

I'm back on the KoF hype train now!

And that 3v3 mode is something I always wanted in Marvel. Was fun in SFxT.
Meta is simple.

• Point character. Generally someone who builds a lot of meter (batteries lol) or who just generally specializes in shutting down movement. whiffed and blocked projectiles build you NO meter in KOF ...only on hit do they help you otherwise blocked projectiles build opponent bar and gives them resources. However, point characters typically need to be folks who can do their gameplan without needing to rely on meter and thus zoners it is most times. King, Meitenkun, and all arounders like Iori, K', Kim, Kyo and Mai show up a lot too.
  • Middle character. This slot goes to your all arounders or to folks who do good with bar but without having to rely on it entirely. The all arounders I mentioned show up heavily here because they can do it all in case they didn't get to keep many resources after round 1, but they show up more heavily here because typically all arounders are also pretty solid with bar like Kyo, Kim, Iori, Mai or K'.
  • Anchor. This is where you go ham. You either rock another all arounder or your meter heavy folks who once built are reborn as monsters. This is where folks like Chin, or Mr Karate or Shen Woo used to go nuts. Folks that'd normally not be the best vs folks who possess a little of everything because they tend to specialize in their skillsets. However, these folks with bar kill characters in like 2 combos sometimes. Chin would gain mad damage and armored moves and this is just how it goes. Anchor's running back an entire match and killing whole teams is not uncommon.
And thats KOF! Max mode in this game costs a bar and lends you access to EX moves for a time period so its not like HD gauge stuff in 13 at all. Its very pure all the way and since Max Mode is so cheap it can show up even in round 1, but only at the risk of starving yourself of resources in later rounds. Welcome to KOF...do you keep the bar for later rounds or spend it all? Thats the tension of every round. Play conservative resources or go ham?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Meta is simple.

• Point character. Generally someone who builds a lot of meter (batteries lol) or who just generally specializes in shutting down movement. whiffed and blocked projectiles build you NO meter in KOF ...only on hit do they help you otherwise blocked projectiles build opponent bar and gives them resources. However, point characters typically need to be folks who can do their gameplan without needing to rely on meter and thus zoners it is most times. King, Meitenkun, and all arounders like Iori, K', Kim, Kyo and Mai show up a lot too.
  • Middle character. This slot goes to your all arounders or to folks who do good with bar but without having to rely on it entirely. The all arounders I mentioned show up heavily here because they can do it all in case they didn't get to keep many resources after round 1, but they show up more heavily here because typically all arounders are also pretty solid with bar like Kyo, Kim, Iori, Mai or K'.
  • Anchor. This is where you go ham. You either rock another all arounder or your meter heavy folks who once built are reborn as monsters. This is where folks like Chin, or Mr Karate or Shen Woo used to go nuts. Folks that'd normally not be the best vs folks who possess a little of everything because they tend to specialize in their skillsets. However, these folks with bar kill characters in like 2 combos sometimes. Chin would gain mad damage and armored moves and this is just how it goes. Anchor's running back an entire match and killing whole teams is not uncommon.
And thats KOF! Max mode in this game costs a bar and lends you access to EX moves for a time period so its not like HD gauge stuff in 13 at all. Its very pure all the way and since Max Mode is so cheap it can show up even in round 1, but only at the risk of starving yourself of resources in later rounds. Welcome to KOF...do you keep the bar for later rounds or spend it all? Thats the tension of every round. Play conservative resources or go ham?
The little bit I played of KoF 13 I'd run king yuri/clark. So that's actually an ok team then? King point, and yuri and clark could switch or keep yuri anchor always.

Antonov Trailer

story trailer
Trailer indeed confirms demo on july 19 with kyo, iori, mai, nelson, KOD, slyvie, and shun'ei
Nelson and KoD? I'm in there.

That bald dude with the two REALLY anime characters (one of them summons blue and red hands, shunei I think). Isn't the bald dude a KoF staple character? They put him with two newcomers?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Meta is simple.

Epic post.

Who is your main team/characters?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Tung Fue Rue? No he is not a staple. Only KoF he has appeared in before was the console version of 11.
Just checked him out and I was confused cause he was in fatal fury. I'm surprised SnK hasn't used everyone from their past series yet.

I assume they don't use the most popular characters from past series in case they want to make another entry. Would be hard to get people to buy a new fatal fury if they can already play all the characters from that series they like in KoF.

haketh

Noob
I assume they don't use the most popular characters from past series in case they want to make another entry. Would be hard to get people to buy a new fatal fury if they can already play all the characters from that series they like in KoF.
They've alreayd used the most popular characters

They've alreayd used the most popular characters
I was thinking about it more and you're right that some of the most popular characters are already being used regularly, but there are still some that SNK can do the same with, but chooses to create new characters instead of using past characters. Geese is a prime example of being used sparingly. Also Yamazaki and Xiangfei haven't been in a KoF since 2009 I think. Blue Mary isn't in 14 starting roster even though she is pretty much KoF regular status compared to the others I listed.

shaowebb

Epic post.

Who is your main team/characters?
Traditionally? I usually play any of the following heavily amidst teams.

• Andy Bogard-Solid all arounder I've always just had a thing for. No reason, just always a bro.
  • Kyo Kusanagi- He has everything. Rekkas, AA, Ground projectile, good normals, and oh my God EX-Kyo jump +down+C stuffed EVERYTHING. After seeing the Hellpockets rant live I was sold on EX-Kyo in 13 lol. Plus that double front kick is corner gold. You can loop it into itself every game for juggles and fun.
  • K'- I drive my wife insane screaming "FIYAH CROOOOW!" everytime I do his AA. I love that move because it stuffs jumps from full screen and can cancel into a slide. Its a great punish and mobility option and my god can it ever start his corner stuff quick. Plus the fire puffs check all pressure and can cancel into projectiles. Just fast, mobile and amazing. Always a favorite.
  • Iori Yagami- See Kyo, because he was pretty much built off of the OG Kyo moveset and hardly changed. SOLID.
  • Terry Bogard- I love Fatal Fury and his specials are godly. Crossups all day, fast punish moves like Buster Wolf, Power Geyser, Burn Knuckle, and Crack Shoot. And lets not forget he is like Guile in that he can charge off of a crouche and AMAZING AA tool with Rising Tackle making his combos super fun to play with. Solid all arounder.
After that I bounce. I used Vice and Chin a lot in 13 and I rocked Oswald and Shion a lot in 11. Before that I abused Jhun Hoon in 99' and I always ALWAYS love Rock Howard and King.

This KOF is the first time in a LONG while that I have latched onto a KOF roster of newcomers so hard. They all look so good. This is by far one of the most diverse and fun looking movesets I've seen since 99 dream match or KOF 11.

In KOF 14 I want:
  • Mui Mui -above all others I want this one. Huge dashup ranged normals, rekkas, a beam super, AA, that loop de loop super looks tight for corner shenanigans, and her headbutts look solid. She's what I wanted Ironfist to be in Marvel and this gal is MINE.
  • Meitenkun- Motherfucker shows up in his pajamas with bedhead and pillow fights. How can I not be in love with that? His zoning looks perfect for my point character slot and his max mode is ridiculous. Seems like a perfect choice for me. I just wanna hug this adorable dude. Even when he loses he lays down on his pillow to nap. Sleep on those fools Meitenkun. If Mui Mui reaches Waifu status then this dude gets to be Husbando lol.
  • Kukri- he ...um...looks cool. *shuffles feet* . I should probably go for Mion though. She has a double jump and 8 way dive kick cancels. She's insane.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Traditionally? I usually play any of the following heavily amidst teams.

• Andy Bogard-Solid all arounder I've always just had a thing for. No reason, just always a bro.
  • Kyo Kusanagi- He has everything. Rekkas, AA, Ground projectile, good normals, and oh my God EX-Kyo jump +down+C stuffed EVERYTHING. After seeing the Hellpockets rant live I was sold on EX-Kyo in 13 lol. Plus that double front kick is corner gold. You can loop it into itself every game for juggles and fun.
  • K'- I drive my wife insane screaming "FIYAH CROOOOW!" everytime I do his AA. I love that move because it stuffs jumps from full screen and can cancel into a slide. Its a great punish and mobility option and my god can it ever start his corner stuff quick. Plus the fire puffs check all pressure and can cancel into projectiles. Just fast, mobile and amazing. Always a favorite.
  • Iori Yagami- See Kyo, because he was pretty much built off of the OG Kyo moveset and hardly changed. SOLID.
  • Terry Bogard- I love Fatal Fury and his specials are godly. Crossups all day, fast punish moves like Buster Wolf, Power Geyser, Burn Knuckle, and Crack Shoot. And lets not forget he is like Guile in that he can charge off of a crouche and AMAZING AA tool with Rising Tackle making his combos super fun to play with. Solid all arounder.
After that I bounce. I used Vice and Chin a lot in 13 and I rocked Oswald and Shion a lot in 11. Before that I abused Jhun Hoon in 99' and I always ALWAYS love Rock Howard and King.

This KOF is the first time in a LONG while that I have latched onto a KOF roster of newcomers so hard. They all look so good. This is by far one of the most diverse and fun looking movesets I've seen since 99 dream match or KOF 11.

In KOF 14 I want:
  • Mui Mui -above all others I want this one. Huge dashup ranged normals, rekkas, a beam super, AA, that loop de loop super looks tight for corner shenanigans, and her headbutts look solid. She's what I wanted Ironfist to be in Marvel and this gal is MINE.
  • Meitenkun- Motherfucker shows up in his pajamas with bedhead and pillow fights. How can I not be in love with that? His zoning looks perfect for my point character slot and his max mode is ridiculous. Seems like a perfect choice for me. I just wanna hug this adorable dude. Even when he loses he lays down on his pillow to nap. Sleep on those fools Meitenkun. If Mui Mui reaches Waifu status then this dude gets to be Husbando lol.
  • Kukri- he ...um...looks cool. *shuffles feet* . I should probably go for Mion though. She has a double jump and 8 way dive kick cancels. She's insane.
Nice! I've been playing Kula and Athena since the original 2002, and Whip any time she is in the game. But I'm basically always with Kula and Athena with some version of K, King, Joe, Mary, or Shermie over the years.

A few of the new characters have me very interested though for a 3rd char. Almost all the new characters are hella exciting.