What's new

Strategy The Importance of Walking Forward (Neutral Game Discussion)

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Forcing others to respect your approach to the point that you get in their head and know you can walk up throw is pretty key honestly. Maintaining your comfort space is something folks don't usually realize they do and you can panic a lot of folks online for certain with walkups and especially the Daigo walkup up fireball within easy AA range. Part of why I prefer KoF fireballs to SF ones really. Better tools to deal with them and their strengths and weaknesses are better balanced in KoF IMO. You see jump ins all the time on SF fireballs...not so much in KoF. Most fireballs are super slow and recovery fast in KoF while faster ones have huuuuuuuuuge recovery. SF is kind of a mid zone and as such jumps work on a lot of them but not at certain ranges. Kind got tired of the jumping bean game in SF.

One of the best walkup pressure feels you can have though is walkup Zangief. Swiggity swooty I'm coming for that booty personified.

Added 3 new videos to the OP. First one being DJT vs. Reo which was requested and feel is an excellent demonstration of walking your opponent to the corner. Second involves a funny clip of Marvel footsies. Third clip involves DJT vs. Dab and him pressuring Dab into the corner by walking forward (really good match). If the vids are causing too much clutter I can put them in spoilers if needed.

I also added 2 new Gifs from the DJT vs. Dab match as well. Thanks again everyone :D

shaowebb

I wouldn't really bother keeping the Marvel one. Game has beams which completely cover the horizontal territory, wave dashes, plus insanely high super jumps/teleports galore. Guy had definitely reached the point of over respecting his Dr. Doom opponent, but he could have safely repulsor blasted. Marvel footsies are a different thing. Its offensive tools are just way too over the top to really fit the whole walk up thing ever as a true tactic. Just watch a Haggar match and know even then you need a lot more than walking to push forward successfully in Marvel's meta. Another reason I dropped it...the footsie tools aren't balanced across the cast. Maining vanilla Ryu and then Iron Fist was enough to teach me that universal movement options vs certain things need to be present in games with extreme levels of offense for it to work. well.

I wouldn't really bother keeping the Marvel one. Game has beams which completely cover the horizontal territory, wave dashes, plus insanely high super jumps/teleports galore. Guy had definitely reached the point of over respecting his Dr. Doom opponent, but he could have safely repulsor blasted. Marvel footsies are a different thing. Its offensive tools are just way too over the top to really fit the whole walk up thing ever as a true tactic. Just watch a Haggar match and know even then you need a lot more than walking to push forward successfully in Marvel's meta. Another reason I dropped it...the footsie tools aren't balanced across the cast. Maining vanilla Ryu and then Iron Fist was enough to teach me that universal movement options vs certain things need to be present in games with extreme levels of offense for it to work. well.
Yeah, I just put it there since I thought it was rather funny haha. I see what your saying though

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
This thread forgot to mention how intimidating some walk animations are. Superman's forward walk scares anyone! 0.0

shaowebb

Yeah, I just put it there since I thought it was rather funny haha. I see what your saying though
Yeah, I couldn't help but crack up when I saw it listed as "Marvel footsies?". Bout how I felt with the game. Honestly if they got rid of Doom Missiles outright, worked on TAC, and put in dodge rolls that would beat longer animated stuff like beams but you couldn't throw point blank for free mixups it'd go a long way in that game, but even then it has a whole mountain of other horseshit balance issues that mess it over to contend with afterwards.

What I actually miss the most is the even more broken Heroes and Heralds mode though. It was never meant to be competitive and as such you could laugh at its insanity. Shame it had zero local though which was a baffling oversight. Folks were wanting to run tournies of it because it was the only mode in the game that had the potential to allow folks to enjoy areas of the roster that were becoming increasingly irrelevant as the meta developed. You ever seen Ironfist with an airdash? COMPLETELY different story out there.

sigh...mumble grumble Marvel dont even know how to walk without putting in broken weapons to screw ya mumble grumble....

great thread, dude. I really need to work on this myself for MKX, I have a lot of trouble in matches because I respect the opponent way way too much, and I get caught in this frozen mode where I just let the opponent do whatever the fuck he wants and it sucks. But this helps a lot

Fusion_Quake

KH Fusion
this transitions perfectly into "PUNCHWALK". Goro is gonna be a monster in MKX if he's not outright terrible for some reason. Great thread, man!

this transitions perfectly into "PUNCHWALK". Goro is gonna be a monster in MKX if he's not outright terrible for some reason. Great thread, man!
What if goro had a timer that forces him into doing a taunt leaving him open for a free full punish every 8 or 10 seconds. There has to be a reason the CPU boss does it right?