What's new

Strategy The Importance of Walking Forward (Neutral Game Discussion)

Thanks for the responses everyone. This has been a thread I've wanted to make for a long time, so when I had the chance to do it, I did it haha. The next thread I plan to make will involve anti-airing but it will probably take longer than this thread so I'll probably work on it later. I'm still learning these concepts as well since they take practice.

In addition, I've also added a video montage of Daigo walking forward to the OP. If you haven't seen it, it's a must watch on learning to walk forward and close space:

Also added some gifs in the OP as well.

nice write up, but isn't this like a common sense thing?
Can't really say to be honest. A lot of players do this, without even knowing the reason why they do it. Plus, as easy as it sounds it's difficult to overcome the fear of walking forward (fear of getting hit). It's easy to explain but tough to master, especially in high pressure situations were most opponents are too afraid to let go of block and press the advantage.

Nice sum-up about that.

However whenever I tried it 90% of the people used option 3 (jumpin) and when I tried to anti-air with standing 1 or uppercut, i'd still get hit and 60% comboed.

But that's just me sucking at the game, so it's probably ok.
Which character do you use? If you use Bane he should have some options for dealing with neutral jumps. Although, anti-airs are highly dependent on the distance and timing of the anti-air, as well as the hitbox on the jump in attack (which is what I hope to make my next thread about). Best move to suggest would be Bane's venom uppercut, and MB afterward if it's blocked to be safe. Online can throw off the timing of walking forward and anti-airing as well, so don't be too hard on yourself if you missing anti-air attempts online.

It just sucks that for Inj directly, good fucking luck trying this on characters like MMH and Aquaman. Offensive or defensive, they still control the pace of the match
True, trying to walk forward or play a neutral game against these characters is definitely frustrating (as with a lot of characters in injustice). I feel it would take a lot of creativity and patience to beat these characters at a high level. However,I can't deny that the top representatives that play(ed) these characters (Sonicfox, Jupiter, Theo for example) have really good knowledge of spacing as well. If a player wants to compete with them, then they would have to have an extraordinary neutral game and make every punish opportunity count. Just my thoughts haha. I would write more but I'd probably take up another page.

amaying post bro.
This also explains a lot of tekken pressure options like the Wavedash.
you can wavedash at your opponent and he wont do shit ^^ .
man mishima strategy.
haha, so true. JDCR will wave dash in a players face like 5 times if he feels they won't press a button. He's a master at conditioning with electrics as well. Wish I could make a gif out of it

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I really like forward walking with heavy hitting characters as a way to fuck with your opponents and apply a weird sort of gambler's pressure.

Especially when you're using a grappler and you have meter for an armored grab if they even think about trying to stop your walk without a plan. So satisfying walking someone to the corner.

I think Zangief is the absolute best at this, those command grabs already put fear into the enemy, but his forward walk is so intimidating, it's perfect.

Last edited:

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
True, trying to walk forward or play a neutral game against these characters is definitely frustrating (as with a lot of characters in injustice). I feel it would take a lot of creativity and patience to beat these characters at a high level. However,I can't deny that the top representatives that play(ed) these characters (Sonicfox, Jupiter, Theo for example) have really good knowledge of spacing as well. If a player wants to compete with them, then they would have to have an extraordinary neutral game and make every punish opportunity count. Just my thoughts haha. I would write more but I'd probably take up another page.
True, but respectfully speaking, those guys use those VERY same characters regardless. So it's kinda redundant to an extent....Other players that go toe to toe or win even without using those characters are where the credit in terms of the neutral game, should go to imo. And it's not to discredit anyone either, but speaking realistically. Give kudos to the 10f half fucking screen NORMAL at the press of a button, or the one that works their mind and ass off to counter it in whichever way possible.

The most common top 5(Aquaderp, MMH, BG, and whichever other 2) don't necessarily break the game, but those 3 specifically don't give 2 shits as to who the opponent is. They can still play their game, and negate the opponents', and no one else can really say the same. They can choose offensive or defensive or neutral at any given time and still perform the same. BG is HARDLY an exception in terms of neutral lol; she has so many quick options that you still wind up respecting her especially her jump ins, allowing her to get in anyways. Just my two cents though....

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
In addition to this, many players don't have the patience or experience to do this. An example of this would be, player1 does not consistently land his combos so he uses more of his thought process trying to execute which takes away from other aspects thou could focus on in a match. Another example would be player1 doesn't focus on player2 during the fight and in result makes it harder to react/counter the things he/she does.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Which character do you use? If you use Bane he should have some options for dealing with neutral jumps. Although, anti-airs are highly dependent on the distance and timing of the anti-air, as well as the hitbox on the jump in attack (which is what I hope to make my next thread about). Best move to suggest would be Bane's venom uppercut, and MB afterward if it's blocked to be safe. Online can throw off the timing of walking forward and anti-airing as well, so don't be too hard on yourself if you missing anti-air attempts online.
I was mostly reffering to MK9. In Injustice I do use Bane, but his D2 and VU always work as AA, so I have no problem there.

In MK however, I use Johnny Cage and Noob Saibot. Their standing 1s are good anti-airs (Johnnys is probably one of the best). The problem is that even though I'm training to use it and in practice or when I play with friends, I get it 90% of the time, when I go to tournaments somehow I try to anti-air in the same manner, from the same distances, but JIPs always hit over me and I get destroyed.

That's why I said it's because I probably suck. I tried watching videos from the good MK9 guys but they never do it because when they play they usually assume anyone can AA perfectly, so they rarely jumpin (probably that's why it's the 3rd least used option in OP's post).

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I love reading these threads.
Another gem
I was mostly reffering to MK9. In Injustice I do use Bane, but his D2 and VU always work as AA, so I have no problem there.

In MK however, I use Johnny Cage and Noob Saibot. Their standing 1s are good anti-airs (Johnnys is probably one of the best). The problem is that even though I'm training to use it and in practice or when I play with friends, I get it 90% of the time, when I go to tournaments somehow I try to anti-air in the same manner, from the same distances, but JIPs always hit over me and I get destroyed.

That's why I said it's because I probably suck. I tried watching videos from the good MK9 guys but they never do it because when they play they usually assume anyone can AA perfectly, so they rarely jumpin (probably that's why it's the 3rd least used option in OP's post).
Wasn't Cages b3 the money?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I believe walking back and forth just out of range of an opponents normals will be a big part of MKX, as opposed to dash blocking and counterpoke back dash cancelling to create whiff punishing space...I can't wait to see how the neutral game shapes up to be..
This is why I feel that characters with:

1. Empty teleports (Scorpion, Raiden)
2. Dash specials (Punchwalk, Reptile)
3. Vertical projectiles (MK9 Kenshi)

Will inevitably be monsters in the meta/nutral game (aka Aquaman).

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Even though I don't sit through and read many of these in depth looks anymore, when I first came to TYM I did and they helped a ton. Really appreciate you guys who make these tutorials, write-ups because when done well they can really help.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
My favorite fucking move. Useful for anti air, anti cross up, whiff punishing and just general footsies. The hitbox was pretty dumb on it too so you could get lucky with it pretty often lol.
Getting hit with a lucky b3 is definitely one of the more salt-inducing things in MK9, along with point blank Net, random hat Spin and anti-crossup-stuffing jump-over punches.

I'm not so sure this works so easily in Injustice.

When you're playing against Green Lantern, it's REALLY hard to just hold forward and walk towards him.

there's just a ton of very powerful advancing strings in this game. B13, f23, b12 are fast enough to totally f* you just for holding forward. They're fast enough that it's difficult to just react to any given movement of the opponent and hold back to defend yourself. When you're online, forget about it :(

Not everybody is Daigo on this site, man. This is a great write up. I honestly wish TYM was full of this kind of stuff.

Good shit @Protagonist_1
Thank you, I could not agree more. This is supposed to be a competitive MK site. Sadly it's turned into mostly bitching about tier lists and posting memes. People of every level of mk or injustice should be able to come here and get some real useful knowledge to improve their gameplay.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Getting hit with a lucky b3 is definitely one of the more salt-inducing things in MK9, along with point blank Net, random hat Spin and anti-crossup-stuffing jump-over punches.
Man I can't even begin to describe how salty I get when I read a Cage F3 I jump over it and it comes out as B3 because of reversed inputs and I get anti-aired.
Jesus fucking Christ.