What's new

Tech The Flash Tech Discussion Thread

LEGEND

YES!
I'll be updating this thread whenever new tech emerges and whenever i or someone else feels the need to discuss current tech/Strategy. New topics will be added to the OP to keep things organized and so that newcomers to the forum can see a complete list of Flash tech without having to scour the whole Sub-forum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Hard Knockdowns

Hard knockdowns prevent your opponent from rolling away and give a predictable window that they have to wake-up. This allows you to maintain pressure more easily since they can't simpley roll away after a combo and gives you a greater opportunity to to stuff their wake-up came since they can't delay a wake-up (unlike MK9)

Here are a list of moves that the Flash can use to Create a hard Knockdown:

D3
D1D2(D3)
Lightning Charge
RMS-2
RMS-1
F21(3)
Sonic Pound
F3 after any bounce combo will splat, same effect as a Hard Knockdown
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Corner Cross-ups

Aside from obvious ways to cross-up like jump is and such. there is one option that trumps them all,

The Sonic pound, Since you can control which side it lands while you are airborn there is virtually no way someone can tell which side you will attack from. What makes this even more ridiculous is that MBing the Sonic pound will result in a 37% combo on hit and if its blocked you are left right in your opponents face at +11. (combo is 11,11,11,11,112-Lightning charge)

Basically if this hits in any way it resets the whole situation
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Running Man Stance

Running man stance (or RMS for short) is a huge part of playing the Flash imo, you can use it like a UMK3 run almost by just hitting forward without a followup 1,2 or 3. And it cancels instantly with no recovery with a simple BB input. And we all know about the 50/50 game that comes from RMS-2 and RMS-3

So here are some uses for it that i came up with:
A) After Blocking a Projectile go straight into RMS as a reversal, then move right into the Neutral run and safely cancel it into a block or jump in at the appropriate distance

B) Use up close to bait a reaction, since it can be canceled instantly you can go straight into a MB B3 to punish most attempts of interrupting RMS. Once it is established that they cannot safely attack you while you are in RMS you can then go straight into mix-ups or the RMS 50/50 if you wish. Also note that if you opponent wiffs something in front of you while doing this it is best to hit RMS-1 since it is quick and grants a hard Knockdown, If you have already canceled it then do whatever works best

C) Capitalizing on Knockdowns, Using the RMS as a kind of run mode as previously mentioned, you can close the gap quickly and safely on hard knockdowns such as Lightning Charge, RMS-2, RMS-1 and F21(3). this is pretty tricky to do, but you can cancel the run and immediately do a forward jump in, which depending on how you space it, can be used to either stuff wake-ups or jump right over them and punish their wiff

D) Fullscreen, unsafe 50/50s. Cause why not :)

E) Bait punishable or highly negative Projectiles so that you can get in

F) To make 32 safe on block. Usually this string is -22 but with RMS cancel it is completely safe, No 6 frame moves can punish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Time loop

ok, so lets get started wit the basics.
A) it lasts 5 seconds
B) it takes roughly 20 seconds to recover
C) You can not block while in Time Loop
D) Getting hit, Clashed or Pushblocked will knock you out of it
E) You can link Time Loop from most Normals and specials, which in some cases will allow you to extend a combo or create one that would not be possible otherwise

Now with that out of the way, i want to discuss how it should be used. Since it does have such a long recovery we need to be smart with it

My current thought is that it should really be used for getting in, only used in combos for punishes that would otherwise not be possible (also Wiff punishes) and to close out a round/game. Personally, i don't think using this amazing trait is worth the mere 10-12% it adds to your BnBs

Now, you may think "why use it to get in when your opponent can just pushblock you out of it?" and that is a valid point, but, try looking at it like this: In a regular BnB, you'd probably only be get 10% extra damage (give or take a few percent) now compare that to a 50/50 that grants 35-40% and you easily come up with a much higher damage output on average. And thats not even factoring in the wiff punishes that you will miss if your trait was recovering cause you decided to burn it on alittle extra damage. Of course you could always go for a throw as well, but thats kind of a wash

Thoughts?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Coming soon. . .

If you wish to be tagged in this thread for further updates post in this thread: http://testyourmight.com/threads/calling-flash-mains.30397/

Pls feel free to correct any mistakes i've made and suggest new topics/tech to discuss. Video brake downs would be awesome, but are not required by any means

EGP Wonder_Chef
Smarrgasm
GGA Dizzy
Slips
Zyphox
Bluez
r3cursi0n
Ironheart
Squeaker101
Superi0rMagik

Discuss

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
good stuff. FLash stuffs alot of wakeups with his b2 and f2 so hard knock downs should be flash's main goal to start offence. Any ideas for the neutral game?

LEGEND

YES!
good stuff. FLash stuffs alot of wakeups with his b2 and f2 so hard knock downs should be flash's main goal to start offence. Any ideas for the neutral game?
thats a good topic, characters with better normals can give him problems when trying to get in. Currently i have been using D3 if i know my opponent's best option hits high. And i've been doing alot of walking in and out of range, plus some RMCs to bait and wiff punish with Lightning charge

still something that i haven't fully explored, and very hard to put into practice this early in the game when you barely know what your opponents tools are

i'll be looking into that more, thanks for bringing it up

not sure if its common knowledge but I have been messing around and here is what I found. Flashs LC can cross on up enemies wakeup. His entire body becomes a hitbox. The timing to hit the cross up is very strict but it hits very deep. Its a 50/50 shot. Would go something like this

starter (anyway to get a untechable knockdown)
trait LC combo

I guess it doesn't really need to be explained. I wish I could show a video but I think you get the idea. Like I said a 50/50 shot of they will block but another good way to keep em guessing

what are you guys using for a punisher? for instance a blocked Catwoman Dash or blocked Superman ice breath? it seems 1 and 2 don't have enough reach. I've been trying to use 3,2 because of the range... any tips?

LEGEND

YES!
what are you guys using for a punisher? for instance a blocked Catwoman Dash or blocked Superman ice breath? it seems 1 and 2 don't have enough reach. I've been trying to use 3,2 because of the range... any tips?
F2 mostly, i don't know the frame data on those particular moves but typically when something isn't point blank you go for B22 or F21. and if those are to slow you have to settle for a Flying Uppercut or LC

also, What should we abbreviate Flying Uppercut as? Cause i don't think FU or FUC is a good idea. . .

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
If its close D1into combo if d1 cant reach then b2/f2 into combo if those dont reach LC of FUC. Any time someone whiffs anything you can always get a LC its fast

If its close D1into combo if d1 cant reach then b2/f2 into combo if those dont reach LC of FUC. Any time someone whiffs anything you can always get a LC its fast
not really talking about when they whiff... the pushback on block/reach of Flash's strings are the problem. I took a bunch of vids today, when i find a good example i'll post it up.

I thought this was common. I do this against those who like to run and throw barrels like its classic Mario. Also flash can dodge gl battering ram... But I can't come up with something to punish him well with

LEGEND

YES!
Zyphox LEGEND This might be known but I haven't seen it on here yet. The flash's parry can go threw pretty much all stage intractables if timed right
i am aware, but thanks for bringing it up. I didn't even think about making a section for this move

i'll be making one as soon as i think i fully understand the best ways to use it. Had an idea about using it after RMC in pressure when you don't have a large enough window to MB B3 (since the MB armor doesn't take effect until the 8th frame i believe) but i haven't tested it yet

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
i am aware, but thanks for bringing it up. I didn't even think about making a section for this move

i'll be making one as soon as i think i fully understand the best ways to use it. Had an idea about using it after RMC in pressure when you don't have a large enough window to MB B3 (since the MB armor doesn't take effect until the 8th frame i believe) but i haven't tested it yet
Yea Could be used to bait and punish. I've been throwin it out there after blocked lighting kicks to stop the pokes but I don't know how good that it without using the MB version.

Yea Could be used to bait and punish. I've been throwin it out there after blocked lighting kicks to stop the pokes but I don't know how good that it without using the MB version.
Not very.... I believe you can only dodge that first hit? I also would not use the MB version. It pushes them back and now you have to work your way back in

LEGEND

YES!
good thing to note too is that it gets beat by overheads, so this definitely isn't a good idea against characters that poke or pressure with them

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Not very.... I believe you can only dodge that first hit? I also would not use the MB version. It pushes them back and now you have to work your way back in
Thats true but it can be used to get them into the corner kinda like Cages flash kick. Flash get's in easier then people realize

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I dunno if anyone has found it yet, but I figured out something cool in training a few days ago I forgot to post about.

If you speed dodge something, you can cancel into his trait, then do flying uppercut and you can get a 40% combo off it. It should make his speed dodge very deadly compared to something like aquamans water shield where there isn't much threat besides 8%.

This also is extremely effective as a wake up attack... wake up with speed dodge to avoid their meaty then cancel into trait and flying uppercut.

Be careful though, cancelling into trait immediately ends all invincibility from speed dodge and if the attack is still passing through your body you will get hit. The timing is very character specific and it will probably take a while to get proficent with this technique.

Thats true but it can be used to get them into the corner kinda like Cages flash kick. Flash get's in easier then people realize
ahh I see I automatically assumed you were fighting a strong zoner mid screen. And yes I agree he can get in he is quick enough anyway lol

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Also random MU tech, flash can d1d2 under Batman's 113 (before the 3 hits) and blow him up if he tries to go for that string. I dunno if any other chars can do this but Aquaman cannot and thats the only other char I tested. The hole in the string does not seem to be 6f or more its just a weird hitbox issue.

Shady

Noob
First day actually playing with the character and gotta say, there is so much to work with. The timing on the dodge is still a little wonky, but I think I'll get around it. I really like the options of cancelling block strings into running man stance and then having 50/50 or fake out options with the cancels. My kind of character.

VOR

Noob
His trait is something that might be best evaluated by the matchup and what you think the pace will be. I think there is some usefulness in combos, for the amount of meter you can build by doing 7-9 specials. Depends on how many times and when you think you'll be able to gt trait perhaps. I was kinda surprised how fast RM stance cancels. Lots of good options after it too. So easy to to go right into pressure strings or even MB f3 or fadc.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Also random MU tech, flash can d1d2 under Batman's 113 (before the 3 hits) and blow him up if he tries to go for that string. I dunno if any other chars can do this but Aquaman cannot and thats the only other char I tested. The hole in the string does not seem to be 6f or more its just a weird hitbox issue.
yeah i can vouch for this, been blowin up random batmans online, its easy to react to as well, also you can do the same thing when they do a jumpin 223, between 2(2)3 you can d1d2 LK MB full combo, the salt afterwards is too much for some to handle.