What's new

The 3 types of fighting gamers (which one is you?)

I'm much like xinok , I care a lot about the technical stuff and staying safe rather than doing crazy unoredictable stuff. My brother is the opposite and will beat me and I'm like " wtf made you think that was even a good idea!!"

BHB: 534
Bros BHB:354

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I'm much like xinok , I care a lot about the technical stuff and staying safe rather than doing crazy unoredictable stuff. My brother is the opposite and will beat me and I'm like " wtf made you think that was even a good idea!!"

BHB: 534
Bros BHB:354
Kind of have to play Butcher like that sometimes. I am a straight up savage when I play the character. Sometimes I look like a god other times I fall flat on my face.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I have to go with the 534 (or 423) as well.

To other people who have a methodical approach I say this: Learn to trust your reads, or sometimes even hunches. You can't figure out a player in a single ranked matched (unless they are so poorly skilled that you can easily spot like the same 3 patterns that they repeat) and it's definitely hard in a tournament situation as well. Sometimes you gotta do unsafe shit just to see if you can get away with or to keep your opponent from going too ham. Having too much respect will get you killed. It takes a lot longer to gather information from your opponent by letting them do things or by you doing the low risk stuff to gauge their reactions than by you just going balls to the wall and taking the iniative right away to see what they are made of. If it doesn't work out and if it does you can always go back to your preferred approach, losing one round or even a match is OK if you can get the information you need out of your opponent.

The problem with the brain approach and thinking in fighting games is, it's very hard to develop a "feel" of the opponent and their character, if you don't have the science of the match-up or opposing character down... and then you end up respecting too much because you don't want to get hit by gimmicks... but then you will just get thrown, chipped or mixed to death when the opponent realizes they can do the most brazen BS and you will let them do it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I have to go with the 534 (or 423) as well.

To other people who have a methodical approach I say this: Learn to trust your reads, or sometimes even hunches. You can't figure out a player in a single ranked matched (unless they are so poorly skilled that you can easily spot like the same 3 patterns that they repeat) and it's definitely hard in a tournament situation as well. Sometimes you gotta do unsafe shit just to see if you can get away with or to keep your opponent from going too ham. Having too much respect will get you killed. It takes a lot longer to gather information from your opponent by letting them do things or by you doing the low risk stuff to gauge their reactions than by you just going balls to the wall and taking the iniative right away to see what they are made of. If it doesn't work out and if it does you can always go back to your preferred approach, losing one round or even a match is OK if you can get the information you need out of your opponent.

The problem with the brain approach and thinking in fighting games is, it's very hard to develop a "feel" of the opponent and their character, if you don't have the science of the match-up or opposing character down... and then you end up respecting too much because you don't want to get hit by gimmicks... but then you will just get thrown, chipped or mixed to death when the opponent realizes they can do the most brazen BS and you will let them do it.
Yup.
Angolan community rated me 543, and they often say my biggest strength is adjustment, i can loose a full round and come back very strong, or a few games and then download the rest.

My first of 30 two days a go, Baby Edhy came in strong, flawed me in the first round, bodied me for next 3 games as well and after a 4-0 is where i started to come back and win the first ft10 by edging the first score by 10-8, the second by 10-4 and the last one by 10-2 if not mistaken.

I gotta say i got pretty comfortable at some point, specially after experience lots of things, long live long sets if it was on a tournament setting i would have been bodied free by 2-0 tho.

CrazyFingers

Yup.
Angolan community rated me 543, and they often say my biggest strength is adjustment, i can loose a full round and come back very strong, or a few games and then download the rest.

My first of 30 two days a go, Baby Edhy came in strong, flawed me in the first round, bodied me for next 3 games as well and after a 4-0 is where i started to come back and win the first ft10 by edging the first score by 10-8, the second by 10-4 and the last one by 10-2 if not mistaken.

I gotta say i got pretty comfortable at some point, specially after experience lots of things, long live long sets if it was on a tournament setting i would have been bodied free by 2-0 tho.
I've been meaning to ask, how is the scene over there? Is it actually big or is it smaller?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

Imagine that every guy that plays fighting game has these 3 stats, that can define their playstyle or quality, like a sort of stats that can improve over time and can define a lot of how you play:

Brains: These players spend most of the time labbing and finding the most use of every possible situation, they're called mostly lab monsters, they're calm and will exploit the max of every optimal situation

Heart: Those are the high risk takers, or in the most common occasions Clutch players, this is where brains are limited, Heart players will mostly do something one doesn't expect at some point of the match or at multiple points of the match, they can be very unpredictable

Body: These are the execution maniacs, enjoy playing high barrier execution type of characters, do big combo damages and so on, like Sakonoko does. But these players mostly lack heart or body.

While there is a characteristic thing that will identify you more than the other, we all share all these 3 qualities, but they work as a sort of attribute points, where one can excel more at some far more than others, based on this chart, going by: Brains, Heart, Body, on a scale of 1 to 5 what do you think your rating is? Also, what do you think other top players are?

For example, (having these numbers like 5 first doesn't mean they are sequential are only highlighting each one of the perks that one excels at the most):
Me: 534
F0xy Grampa: 544 for example
Sonic Fox : 455

And I'm being generous.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Yup.

I really like longer sets as well, some people have the annoying habit of just saying GGS and then leaving once they start to lose though. All in all I just really don't like to play with randoms and ranked, it's just one game and if you get hit by all their BS and gimmicks before figuring them out you lose and your rank will drop and then it's more of the same, terrible players just trying to beat you with their flowchart and win as fast as possible.

I think I got less than 50 games in ranked in TTT2, I know it would be better to play with more people and against more characters but it's just less enjoyable. One game I was playing defensive and losing to a double Capo player until I said fuck it and just decided that I am gonna hit him with Heihachi's df1,1 into df2+3 loop over and over and see if I can get away with it, I beat him 2 rounds straight with it and won the match. It's funny but it's also kinda sad, that type of play doesn't help me become a better player at all and it's not really enjoyable to be honest.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've been meaning to ask, how is the scene over there? Is it actually big or is it smaller?
It used to be bigger, but there isn't much tournaments around at this time of the year, MK Titans is almost like TYM, but Top players still gather and play long sets whenever we can, some are just salty cause the meta has changed and many of these players got clipped by something in the general change.
Others are just too busy with work, family and stuff, my country its not living an easy phase due the economical crisis tho.

CrazyFingers

It used to be bigger, but there isn't much tournaments around at this time of the year, MK Titans is almost like TYM, but Top players still gather and play long sets whenever we can, some are just salty cause the meta has changed and many of these players got clipped by something in the general change.
Others are just too busy with work, family and stuff, my country its not living an easy phase due the economical crisis tho.
Is the character diversity about the same as the US or do you see a lot of different stuff?

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
"Body: These are the execution maniacs, enjoy playing high barrier execution type of characters, do big combo damages and so on, like Sakonoko does. But these players mostly lack heart or body."

Dont you mean Brains?

@Eddy Wang

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is the character diversity about the same as the US or do you see a lot of different stuff?
Aside from a few things no so much, The character we don't have that USA uses a lot is definitely Quan, Alien also shined for his time along side with Sonya, Kotal, Kano and everyone else. Judce normaly has a keen eye to spot top tiers, so every character he picks to play competitive has an edge he can exploit, he has shown mileena two days ago, pretty nasty stuff.

But Angola is just part of the competition, Africa is a pretty big place, and Ghana and Nigeria also play very competitive, they also follow the scene, and they follow top tiers as well, Nigeria until recently had a D'vorah in their ranks before the patch, a Ronin Takeda, and Reptile, now they're maining Cryomancer, Royal Storm and i believe Quan as well.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
"Body: These are the execution maniacs, enjoy playing high barrier execution type of characters, do big combo damages and so on, like Sakonoko does. But these players mostly lack heart or body."

Dont you mean Brains?

@Eddy Wang
Yeah, reeeaaally need to stop writing at nap time, my grammar gets so bad, my eyes become very heavy, and i'm susceptible to misplace words or expressions very easy.

CrazyFingers

Aside from a few things no so much, The character we don't have that USA uses a lot is definitely Quan, Alien also shined for his time along side with Sonya, Kotal, Kano and everyone else. Judce normaly has a keen eye to spot top tiers, so every character he picks to play competitive has an edge he can exploit, he has shown mileena two days ago, pretty nasty stuff.

But Angola is just part of the competition, Africa is a pretty big place, and Ghana and Nigeria also play very competitive, they also follow the scene, and they follow top tiers as well, Nigeria until recently had a D'vorah in their ranks before the patch, a Ronin Takeda, and Reptile, now they're maining Cryomancer, Royal Storm and i believe Quan as well.
Thank you for the insightful conversation :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Thank you for the insightful conversation :)
No problem, i think among the Agolan scene i am one of the few who still mains the very first characters i picked since april 14, so Scorpion(Ninjutsu/Hellfire), And Hat Trick Kung Lao, and then all Tanya Variations since the last patch, everyone else has played almost every other character in the roster at some point, i did too, but not for long, for example i didn't stuck to Sonya, Takeda or Cassie although i used them just to learn mostly their strengths and weakness.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Gotta say I'm 414. If I'd have to say I'm more to either type, it would be body. I try not to overextend on any front, but if high execution gets me higher reward I will take it in a heartbeat.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Yup.

Dude I'm The EXACT Same Way. I Adapt Over A Certain Amount Of Time But It Depends On Who Im Playing. If They Are Doing Things I'm Not Used To Then It Will Def Throw Me Off And Take A Min To Adjust. But Once I Do I Can Handle Almost Any Situation

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Yup.

Dude I'm The EXACT Same Way. I Adapt Over A Certain Amount Of Time But It Depends On Who Im Playing. If They Are Doing Things I'm Not Used To Then It Will Def Throw Me Off And Take A Min To Adjust. But Once I Do I Can Handle Almost Any Situation

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Saw this vid a while ago. Maybe on APT. Can't remember. Thought there was more categories in the actual article. But oh well.

But mine would be 4 for brains. Not so much for mk but for other fighters. It's fundamental.

Heart 5. If I could rate this higher I would.

Body 3. I'm a little older now so I'm set in my ways. Having manic fingers and absolute supreme execution is not so important and more then knowing how to read, predict, react, frustrate, expose & exploit my opponents and try to get them of their game and forcing them to play mine.

Core A gaming has really good vids btw.

Good job @Eddy Wang for bring this on the site.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Brains, I'll usually find a reasonable answer to most stuff I encounter and used to lab the hell out of Scorpion armor break setups in specific areas of the stage. If there is something I haven't seen much of it. example is a CSZ I played who did short dive kick and kept getting his turn in which I eventually figured out to deal with in the set with preemptive b2 which paid off. Playing a lot of ranked helped me in making quick adjustments between rounds especially when dealing with a lot of BS and gimmicks I see. I've also found myself being able to come back many times from huge deficits. pre patch I would have to ability to armor break which I managed to make correct reads on when my opponent would mash armor on wakeup, now it's a little harder but doable I find. body I find that I can execute decently though I feel like it can be more of a 3 within this area tbh snce I don't do the usual BnB's especially for Scorpion though executing my other characters is no problem for the most part