What's new

Testers and Early Tournaments

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
If people keep complaining about testers and banning them from tournaments eventually they're going to stop testing. Having testers that are solid fighting game players is important because it ensures games aren't a broken mess when they come out. I mean SonicFox found an infinite a year after Batgirl was released.

Bottom line is that shit needs to be tested by people that know what they're doing. They shouldn't be punished for helping the game. Suck it up.

Attendees had the game for four days, and many have jobs. Tom specified at least 33 days, and probably low-balled. Some of us think it's uncool to enter a pot bonus tourney in that case. No one said they should be blocked from entering. Withholding themselves from tourneys would be a personal choice. Many of us think it would be healthier for the community to do so for a little longer than four days.
I in no way low balled, this is why I am so forthcoming. When I say "2 months" I did not mean I was playing for all 2 months, I mean I had been playing on and off over the last 2 months. I first touched the game about 2 months ago. From that point my timeline was EXACTLY as I gave it. 14 Days at NRS, 11 with Prima, 5 with ESL, 2 or 3 with the game in my personal possession just barely pre-launch. Thats 33 days spread out over the last 2 months. Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I LOL at these threads because I've been saying this for YEARS! The testers should be prohibited from entering for a brief period following the games launch. Until this happens I say stop wasting your time & money. Wait until the game is a little more mature before you venture out.

I'll repeat myself: NRS should sponsor these testers to attend tournaments and put on an MKX clinic. The testers can generate additional interest in the game plus help educate players. They could also play money matches any maybe win a bit of scratch. The general public gets an opportunity to legitimately compete in early tournaments. Everyone will be included and no one feels cheated. The OP of this thread obviously feels cheated and I can't say I blame him.
I agree 100% on this and thik that if majors are smart, they will not host a game this new until a month after release aka adequate time for the community to catch up. I said it on my KTF that NRS should sponsor the testers to go and do game clinics and commentate.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
in theory this is correct, but that doesn't make the advantage any less present. It just becomes harder to tell why they won. All testers that enter week one tournaments know that they have a substantial advantage over the rest of people. Any chance of players overcoming the skill gap becomes less likely when that advantage is in play. Granted like I just said, I would do the same thing if I was a tester but I feel it should be regulated if we want to be taken seriously as a sport.
yes exactly make the rules as early as possible b
Well you bodied me on Saturday , so #BANTESTERS2015
If only that match was streamed, then people would have been able to see the "body" aha.

Sonicfox, after 1 day of training at esl, personally told me in a stream chat that he was exposing tom in casuals bad(15-1). So where was Toms tester advantage in that situation?

huber

Noob
Events should make sure there is plenty of room for people to get games in outside of tournament play. People that don't feel ready for a tournament testers or not should be able to show up play a lot and learn. That's what focus should be on early in a game.

I'd rather have a tournament end up being a bit smaller but with the stronger players allowed to play. As long as everyone at the event has plenty of time/space to play casuals with a lot of people and learn.

I feel like the ban the testers problem doesn't begin and end with the potential ban on testers. It's a problem that every scene/game has with those early tournaments. I think everyone kinda needs to adjust their attitude on them.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Thank god the Capcom and Namco communities don't act like this when they bring over foreign players to hype up they competitive scene and make American tourney players that want to get on the highest level up there game. The Japanese players in Capcom and Korean and Japanese players in Tekken both had advantages in getting the game first and top players to play, still come to all our tourneys in America and still win a majority of them for amounts far more than $200 first place money, yet the communities don't cry like this, why???? Because they are gamers man, man up, respect it or don't play. Ridiculous......
EP my man Kitana of the world

Reactions: Cat

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
After reading all of the concerns being posted 6 pages deep I feel many peoples perspectives and just want people to see what I seen from my point of view from this whole " debacle. " So 2 of my good friends, REO and mostly Brady because I have known him for the past 15 or more years, very good friends indeed, came out here to celebrate Bradys Bday with the goons. I told him about some local tournys and maybe a sponsorship type of opportunity that could be had if went to them. They went, paid there money like everyone else, and they won. The tournament organizers didn't have anything bad to say about them being there and it was best for business because more views came in just knowing the names of REO and TB was at the tourney. Reo lost at both local tournaments, Jop and Cat both beat him which is good shitz on there part ( anytime you can mash in their head I'm with it ) and he almost got peaced out many times because of his lack of knowledge in a new game. Yes, they knew the game a lil better than everyone else there, but how did that help out when his head got mashed in. From what I am understanding the game has by FAR been changed from what they seen at nrs so tell me again how much advantage was it when they were not running thru the brackets again???

Reading all of this makes it seem like you guys think they really flew all the way from the east coast, last minute, paid about $500 or more to come to 2 dallas local tournaments to " mop " it up and win pot bonus money that combined wouldn't cover one of their tickets for coming out here, lol. WTF hell???? We have to be better than this people, come on man. One solid ? though, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE TO TELL FRIENDS OF MINE THAT THEY SHOULDNT BE IN DALLAS TO ENJOY THEMSELVES OUT HERE AND DO AS THEY PLEASE THAT THEY CAN'T!!!! That's unbe-LIEVABLE man!! There are always tournys somewhere where someone goes that knows a lil more and try to win a prize, blame them. All the mom and pop store tournys for a free game or surprise prize pot, gamestop tournys, any kind, there is always someone that takes advantage and no fucks are given. At the combat Houston tourney I bet you this, if a local or someone that just bought the game and pays his money to join and play at that tourney, you guys would smile, whup that azz without the common courtesy to give them a reach around and never think about that player again except when they would come to another tourney and add to the pot for you, GTFOOH, lol... So should they say you shouldn't play in a tourney because of your "advantage"

Go fuck yourselves, it was a good tourney, lots of promise out of everyone and hopefully everyone keeps playing and practicing and bring the heat once we see each other again....
Combat houston tournamet? Lol
peanut is not from houston btw. Only myself and Royale where there from houston. And I stated before I didn't mind losing them or them being there because it was good experience early on for me.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Right... I've done nothing to help ppl level up. Funny especially since you wasted no time in wanting help with SZ stuff. Knowledge that I gladly made public. I put out a SZ guide that not only ran down the read progression, it even told you the order that the opponent would use which option. Yup.. no help at all.

If you all feel that I should not attend NWM out of "fairness", then I will not. Just let me know in time to at least get a refund on airfare.
And there you go dodging the entire point of my post. I said nothing about you posting knowledge and sorry I asked you (someone who has played the game) for some simple combos over text. I get that you post your knowledge and help the sub community and im sure we are all greatful but that was nowhere near my point.

From what Ive heard from both Pnut and Cat is that you and REO played 0 casual games with them before and after the tournament. To them and to some of us it just looks like a robbery. Thats all im saying. If the game is new and all you want to do is spread knowledge and enjoy it then why not take the time while you are in texas to actually play the good players that are there for long sets.

You cried for weeks about not getting to play ducky when you were stationed in norcal for Prima.

And there you go dodging the entire point of my post. I said nothing about you posting knowledge and sorry I asked you (someone who has played the game) for some simple combos over text. I get that you post your knowledge and help the sub community and im sure we are all greatful but that was nowhere near my point.

From what Ive heard from both Pnut and Cat is that you and REO played 0 casual games with them before and after the tournament. To them and to some of us it just looks like a robbery. Thats all im saying. If the game is new and all you want to do is spread knowledge and enjoy it then why not take the time while you are in texas to actually play the good players that are there for long sets.

You cried for weeks about not getting to play ducky when you were stationed in norcal for Prima.
1. I did not cry about not playing Ducky. Ducky said that it was me that seemed like I did not want to play. I misjudged how busy I would be, many days working 21 hours to finish the project. I just did not have the time that I assumed I would to play.

2. All they had to do was ask.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...

Yeah would of been nice to even play a single set outside the tournament. But it's their time and they were in dallas for other reasons as well.
Reo gave me a lot of info on the game tho.
Still need to get around to reading toms sub guide tho. Lol

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Complaining about this is pointless smh idgaf about tester advantage at this point I want to play the best, to ultimately get better and be the best. Plus a bunch of testers played in ESL cup and got bodied in a ft1 #nosympathy

Real damage is the new scene not even showing up to future events because of stuff like this.

I'm all for get-what-you-can, but I can see it hurting the off-line scene.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Well, the first major for MKX is this week and I for one feel like the testers should definitely play. We want the game to look as good as possible.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It doesn't matter if you knew they were going or not. If testers were allowed to play, and you chose to go and compete anyway, that's on you. If you didn't know whether they were allowed to play or not, again, that is your fault for not being clear on the rules and asking somone.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
What tech would be shown at a week 1 local by pro players that wouldn't be found by the legions grinding in training mode ? Just a side question.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
You clearly don't have experience with fighting games. You can not learn mobility, movement, and spacing by watching a 24 hour stream. Your argument is really weird and void of substance.

Yes, things in the game change from early builds. but that's more matchup knowledge stuff. It can take people at least a couple weeks to really get movement alone down. But a month advantage? Shit. Game over.
a month advantage doesn't warrant a ban, I don't have the game so I can't say how movement is, all I know is that if I just got the game I would grind 24 hours straight. You're telling me that you can't learn mobility day 1, day 2 work on combos, day 3 etc etc.. no excuse and He lost fair and square, if it was me I would man up take the loss then go back home and hit the practice room.

Besides what do you suppose Tom do in this situation, "oh I think I'll just wait a few months before I can play competitively for money just out of respect." That doesn't level up the scene faster.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Besides what do you suppose Tom do in this situation, "oh I think I'll just wait a few months before I can play competitively for money just out of respect." That doesn't level up the scene faster.
Well if you want to use the "level up the scene" argument, they could have done that by playing casuals for hours before and after the tournament with the many hungry players from Texas to help the community level up. Rather than not play casuals, body the prize money free, and then leave before playing casuals after.

"Level up the community" is a horrible argument in this scenario.